The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2024, 10:02 PM   #31
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Michael with all due respect. Peter has been buying Patek for decades. He is one of the biggest collectors I know with a vast network. His offer is legit but he will not disclose the AD because these things in Europe work with discretion and a high degree of sensitivity.

I suggest you take this offline before you embarrass yourself
I have fellow collector friends who have reached out to me privately after reading this thread. They have as many questions as I do. We are collectively and individually not Day-1 collectors. I don't get the embarrassment bit for asking him a very straightforward question (a fair one for anyone reading this thread). We share AD info amongst ourselves all the time.

AD are in the business for profits and every new customer is valuable to them. What is the rationale for withholding contact info to a willing customer who wishes to start a relationship there?
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 10:15 PM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rare Handcrafts 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Michael with all due respect. Peter has been buying Patek for decades. He is one of the biggest collectors I know with a vast network. His offer is legit but he will not disclose the AD because these things in Europe work with discretion and a high degree of sensitivity.

I suggest you take this offline before you embarrass yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have fellow collector friends who have reached out to me privately after reading this thread. They have as many questions as I do. We are collectively and individually not Day-1 collectors. I don't get the embarrassment part for asking him a very straightforward question (a fair one for anyone reading this thread). We share AD info amongst ourselves all the time.
I am part of "anyone reading".

If you do not see, we can not help.

In essence, you called pam66 a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:04 PM   #33
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i got offered this a few months after WW2023:

a month ago the AD still had it sitting with them, he told me that he got it assigned specifically for me from PP and now he has been asking to be able to sell it to other clients. otherwise he has to return it to PP. i don't know if that is true or not.
i found the piece very kitschy and my wife didn't want it either, but rest assured that the AD would not in the least consider
to try offer me any of the pieces you mentioned.
anyway, the AD owner has been upset with me since i turned him down a second time on that piece now and he is holding back on my next sports model:::)))) unless i buy some diamonds, which i won't:::)))
Quite right, if a particular design doesn’t sing to you, certainly don’t feel pressurised into buying one you don’t have your heart set on. Maybe just tell them you’d love a rare handcraft but only when the right piece comes along.
It’s possible once you go for one and have regret it’s too late and may not get offered another for some time if ever..

Absolutely ridiculous if asking you to buy a load of diamonds to be considered for a sports piece.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:48 PM   #34
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I get the impression you hate Patek because of your posts.

I have never been offered any non-WT rare handcrafts despite my collection. Patek only made 40 of these rare handcrafts annually and each of the 300 ADs has a long interest list of customers who yearn for a rare handcrafts. My AD sell more MR than rare handcrafts and the rare handcrafts are used as a reward piece for customers who have collected many pieces and are bored with the catalogue. Truth is, even an big AD is not guaranteed 1 piece every year to sell to their MR customers.

The next time your AD offer you a copy of Rousseau or any rare handcrafts junks you dislike, can you please drop me a DM? I wish I have an AD like yours.
I think the grand exhibitions are a good chance to get an allocation. The NYC event a few years back I know a collector who got one of the “one off” pieces from it, he’s a way bigger collector than me by MILES and MILES. Unfortunately you need to be local to the region most likely with an AD that will really advocate on your behalf. Probably also helps to have done the factory tour with whomever is running their operations in that region so they know you personally when you apply for it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2024, 11:55 PM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member

WRT turning down a rare handcraft that is in hand, if an AD really did apply for one it has to have a customer tied to it at least in the old way. Pretty sure my application pieces came with the papers filled out but I’d have to dig the boxes out of the closet.

In that case, it makes sense that they wouldn’t sell it to a walk-in and it would go back to Patek to go through the application process again.
Old 1 April 2024, 01:19 AM   #36
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
WRT turning down a rare handcraft that is in hand, if an AD really did apply for one it has to have a customer tied to it at least in the old way. Pretty sure my application pieces came with the papers filled out but I’d have to dig the boxes out of the closet.

In that case, it makes sense that they wouldn’t sell it to a walk-in and it would go back to Patek to go through the application process again.
yes, seems so. i doublechecked with the AD today and he still has it sitting in his vault.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 03:06 AM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i got offered this a few months after WW2023:

a month ago the AD still had it sitting with them, he told me that he got it assigned specifically for me from PP and now he has been asking to be able to sell it to other clients. otherwise he has to return it to PP. i don't know if that is true or not.
i found the piece very kitschy and my wife didn't want it either, but rest assured that the AD would not in the least consider
to try offer me any of the pieces you mentioned.
anyway, the AD owner has been upset with me since i turned him down a second time on that piece now and he is holding back on my next sports model:::)))) unless i buy some diamonds, which i won't:::)))

Wow bummer that you don’t like it, I would have loved to buy that - I think it’s lovely - paxwatch on IG just posted it yesterday and it looked stunning in the sunlight. I think it’s supposed rice fields, correct ?

My AD told me that you have to request specific RH and then they are directly allocated to you - my bet is that the original person changed her mind and then he started offering it to you . But who knows. Do you mind sharing the exact retail price of this piece?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 03:07 AM   #38
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it is just that we are here to comment on what we like and what we don't like, aren't we? and hey, it is a watch, i did not insult you, your family, friends etc...
so let us take it easy.

Fair enough

Old 1 April 2024, 03:12 AM   #39
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty View Post
ichiran, w/ your collection I am pretty certain if you applied for MR you will get accepted..

I have been waiting for rare handcraft. but the trick is how can I commit b4 I see what the piece is? if I don't comment now, I am already late... but I don't want a piece simply b/c its rare handcraft. I want one with the subject I care about. Russels was one of the one I realy wanted as well as the other auto motive. as I have been a car guy and quite a large collection of cars a long time. but by the time I seen the images on line of the car rare handscrat, it was all spoke for already...

Bring it up with your AD before watches and wonders and then contact him upon release day which ones you would like. Unfortunately I need the funds to put into my own business otherwise I would report back and give it a try this year. Even though I bet it would take some real luck and maybe many tries over the next years.

Old 1 April 2024, 03:48 AM   #40
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Wow bummer that you don’t like it, I would have loved to buy that - I think it’s lovely - paxwatch on IG just posted it yesterday and it looked stunning in the sunlight. I think it’s supposed rice fields, correct ?

My AD told me that you have to request specific RH and then they are directly allocated to you - my bet is that the original person changed her mind and then he started offering it to you . But who knows. Do you mind sharing the exact retail price of this piece?

yes, it is supposed to be rice fields. the AD messaged me from watches and wonders 2023 that they will have a special surprise for me soon....i thought it will be the 5231G and answered with a thumbs up. they should have told me what it was....i would have had a chance to redirect them. so i was the original 'destination' of the watch and that is why i suppose that the certificate came already with my name on it. and that is why the AD owner is a bit cross with me:::)))
it is about 120K euros including VAT.
Old 1 April 2024, 03:56 AM   #41
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes, it is supposed to be rice fields. the AD messaged me from watches and wonders 2023 that they will have a special surprise for me soon....i thought it will be the 5231G and answered with a thumbs up. they should have told me what it was....i would have had a chance to redirect them. so i was the original 'destination' of the watch and that is why i suppose that the certificate came already with my name on it. and that is why the AD owner is a bit cross with me:::)))
it is about 120K euros including VAT.

Thank you and mystery explained given miscommunication between you guys. A bit strange from your AD to just assume that you would like this specific RH release I must say though.

Old 1 April 2024, 04:11 AM   #42
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you and mystery explained given miscommunication between you guys. A bit strange from your AD to just assume that you would like this specific RH release I must say though.

yes correct. there was a RH release a few years back, which was a wood marqueterie (mountain climbers), which i really found charming. i told him that i wanted it but he had already included it in his private collection. so he apparently assumed i might be desperate for any RH. actually, my 5231G came from my other AD and he knows that i have it.
Old 1 April 2024, 04:24 AM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes correct. there was a RH release a few years back, which was a wood marqueterie (mountain climbers), which i really found charming. i told him that i wanted it but he had already included it in his private collection. so he apparently assumed i might be desperate for any RH. actually, my 5231G came from my other AD and he knows that i have it.

The mountain climbers are pretty cool - I remember it. For how many years have you been collecting if you have two ADs giving you hard to come by allocations ?

Old 1 April 2024, 04:33 AM   #44
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The mountain climbers are pretty cool - I remember it. For how many years have you been collecting if you have two ADs giving you hard to come by allocations ?

actually, my and wife's families have been buying jewelry from the one AD for 50 years at least. the other i got into being recommended by a friend maybe five years ago.
my third one i lost this year, cut out by PP.
anyway, i am getting very close to quitting PP, there is not much more in my price range that i like and i find their price increases of the last years shocking and not justified by the quality of product.
but sorry, i don't want to hijack this thread by going on a tangent.
Old 1 April 2024, 04:48 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
actually, my and wife's families have been buying jewelry from the one AD for 50 years at least. the other i got into being recommended by a friend maybe five years ago.
anyway, i am getting very close to quitting PP, there is not much more in my price range that i like and i find their price increases of the last years shocking and not justified by the quality of product.

All good interesting and thanks for the detailed info - for a newbie like myself meeting someone (even though online) with a 50 year history at an AD is kinda fascinating.

Indeed the price increases are a problem for anyone that doesn’t have crazy disposable income. Thankfully the grey market has some good deals these days and that might be the way to go

Old 1 April 2024, 05:14 AM   #46
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just did!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 05:16 AM   #47
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Just did!
uuuuppps
Old 1 April 2024, 10:21 AM   #48
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d still be buying Patek if they hadn’t killed my AD. We’ll see maybe they’ll get them back in the future. No regular releases have seemed like must buys for me in a while.
Old 2 April 2024, 06:17 PM   #49
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats on the 5231G, it is a great piece
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 06:48 PM   #50
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I am part of "anyone reading".

If you do not see, we can not help.

In essence, you called pam66 a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro