The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 6 December 2013, 02:33 AM   #1
Razman
"TRF" Member

Panerai deployant buckle a pain-literally!

Hi TRF friends,

I purchased a PAM 0164 recently from the Panerai AD in Dubai and am now regretting buying it. The watch is beautiful but the deployant buckle a real pain in literal terms. It's very heavy, gets stuck in the wrist and by the end of the day the whole wrist is in pain. I have tried alternating between the alligator and rubber straps but the problem persists. Even wearing it a bit loose doesn't help. Have any of you experienced the same problem?

I called up the AD in Dubai (I live in Pakistan) and they informed me that ordering a strap and pin buckle can take upto 3 months and will cost anything between 400 to 600 USD. Can you believe it ? Makes me wish I had gone for the PAMs 312 or 359 which were about 800 USD more but at least had the pin buckle plus a 3 day power reserve.

Can any of you recommend any good aftermarket straps and Pre-Vendome pin buckle suppliers. I tried ordering them online from panatime.com but for some reason they were not accepting Pakistani credit cards. Are there any other ones you have had a good experience with that I can look into. I would not wish to spend more than 100-150 USD on the strap and buckle?
Razman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2013, 02:54 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Any tang buckle will work. Just get one off eBay. However tang buckles are not compatible with deployant straps and vice versa. Maybe just get a custom strap with sewn in buckle?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

congrats on the 164! great PAM.

the deployant fits fine for me, but, the bad fit is a pretty common complaint.

as for straps, first pick up a tang buckle aftermarket strap right away....i think you'll find that it fits great and, at that point, consider getting OEM if that's important to you (or, if you still don't like the fit, move on).

also, many ADs will switch the deployant for a tang (and also give a free strap or two) before purchase. maybe see if they'll switch the deployant?

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2013, 04:18 AM   #4
Razman
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot Cru. Yes the 164 is a great watch but pretty painful to wear presently. I have just ordered an aftermarket strap from UK and will see how it goes. Unfortunately the AD in Dubai was pretty difficult on all counts and did not entertain the idea of switching the deployant for the Pin buckle( he actually took offense that I would prefer a pin buckle as opposed to his recommended deployant one )Not the best example of an AD but since there are none in Pakistan therefore Dubai is the next closest option to buy the Pam.

I guess this is one of the selling points of a pam that you can change the strap yourself. Definitely looking forward to doing so now with the pin buckle.
Old 6 December 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I can confirm that a tang buckle is much much more comfortable than the deployment clasp. Get a tang buckle set up and you will never wear the deployment clasp again.

Or

Old 6 December 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Razman
"TRF" Member

Mystro

The tang buckles look gorgeous and very comfortable, I m sure. Seems you are wearing it on a 0104. This model also comes with a deployant buckle. Did you get the tang from panerai directly?
Old 6 December 2013, 12:51 PM   #7
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
take out the oem. strap possibilities are endless!
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Razman
"TRF" Member

Quick question. When ordering a 24/22mm strap I should go for a 22mm or 24mm buckle?
Old 6 December 2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I purchased them from a Panerai owner that was selling his collection of straps and buckles. I highly recomend the tang buckle. Most Panerai boutiques will have the pre-v buckle. They call it a trapezoid buckle. Any 22mm buckle will work so it doesn't have to be a Panerai buckle. Panatime sells high quality ard and pre-v screw in buckles. I have many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post
Mystro

The tang buckles look gorgeous and very comfortable, I m sure. Seems you are wearing it on a 0104. This model also comes with a deployant buckle. Did you get the tang from panerai directly?
Old 6 December 2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Razman
"TRF" Member

many thanks mystro
Old 6 December 2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

A 24/22mm strap needs a 22mm buckle. That is because it is 24mm at the case and tapers to 22mm at the buckle end. Make sure you get a screw in buckle. They are much more secure than a buckle that uses spring bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post
Quick question. When ordering a 24/22mm strap I should go for a 22mm or 24mm buckle?
Old 7 December 2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Mastergreenhand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Starbucks
Yeah, the deployant buckle I'm not crazy about either. Just can't get the strap to fit comfortably with it on. I like the concept however. Tang is the way to go.
Mastergreenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2013, 09:12 AM   #13
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Tang all the way, you'll never look back
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2013, 12:11 PM   #14
robisan
"TRF" Member

There is a lot to choose from on aftermarket straps and buckles. You can look at the accessories corner at paneristi site or ebay too.
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Razman
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot guys. Tang aftermarket strap and buckle it is then. It's really useful to know the strap and buckle width in terms of fit (mystro thanks again). I have ordered them now from Watchobssession and am really excited about receiving them so that I can get back to wearing the panny again.