The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 May 2021, 02:37 PM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Traveling with multiple watches

Questions for those who travel with two or more watches.

If flying, I assume you carry them on board with you. Do the pieces not on your wrist go in a watch roll/case, and then in your carry-on bag? And if so, what happens when you have to get up to use the restroom...leave in your bag unattended and hope nobody gets into your bag? Or do you take it with you if you leave your seat?

If on a road trip, do you feel safe leaving them in your locked car anytime you are at a rest stop?
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:42 PM   #2
ELLimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post

If flying, I assume you carry them on board with you. Do the pieces not on your wrist go in a watch roll/case, and then in your carry-on bag? And if so, what happens when you have to get up to use the restroom...leave in your bag unattended and hope nobody gets into your bag? Or do you take it with you if you leave your seat?

If on a road trip, do you feel safe leaving them in your locked car anytime you are at a rest stop?

Roll on my backpack next to my work Mac. My back pack and I never separate.
ELLimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:47 PM   #3
ebc992299
"TRF" Member

Traveling with multiple watches

Speaking as a Rolex only owner:
I normally carry two or three on every trip. I only use my personal backpack which is separate from the carry on suitcase and they travel in my Rolex green pouches. Why not a carry on suitcase? They may say the flight is full and depending on your seating, they can force you to check your bag; and I do not bring them to the bathroom with me. Nobody on the plane knows you are carrying anywhere from $50k to $100k in watches but yourself, so no need to take them to the bathroom. That being said, make sure they are covered through your home owners insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ebc992299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
I find it to be too stressful taking multiple watches on a trip. Sometimes you just gotta do it. But I try to just pick one watch to last the entire trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 04:57 PM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I only take one "good one" at most. If I do, I wear it. If I go somewhere sketchy, it is Seiko, Citizen, etc., time.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 07:09 PM   #6
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLimon View Post
Roll on my backpack next to my work Mac. My back pack and I never separate.
Me as well. Anything of high value goes in the under seat sized back pack. I was gifted a custom made leather one and I love it.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:19 PM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post

They are in a watch case inside my backpack.

I have never had anyone start rooting through an over head bin to find my backpack just so they could hope to find something valuable inside.

As for my car, I lock the doors and keep valuables out of sight.

It sounds like you are so worried that you should just use one watch.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:24 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good insurance brings some piece of mind but I typically do not travel with more than one nice watch depending on how I have to get there and security once I am there. I will wear one nice watch and bring a couple of beaters.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 09:48 PM   #9
jbc247
"TRF" Member

Is there a go to watch case for putting in a backpack? I’ve read the Oakley vault is popular but discontinued. Various watch rolls seem popular but none seem to stand out.
jbc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2021, 11:41 PM   #10
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc247 View Post
Is there a go to watch case for putting in a backpack? I’ve read the Oakley vault is popular but discontinued. Various watch rolls seem popular but none seem to stand out.
https://smile.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Wa...s%2C243&sr=8-6

This Casebudi is a really similar product.

I will occasionally wear one, and bring another. Always in my carry on which doesn't leave my side.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 02:55 AM   #11
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
buy a Timex and call it a day ............
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:07 AM   #12
psv
"TRF" Member

Well, it all depends on where you are traveling...

Personally, I've stopped carrying more than one good watch on any trip. I simply wear one through the trip, normally a Sea-Dweller or GMT Pepsi, I'll keep the rest at home.

If you travel abroad you may be asked to provide proof of ownership/purchase, insurance issues if something happens, etc. Not worth the hassle.

Then bring a G-Shock as a backup.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 03:13 AM   #13
7sins
"TRF" Member

Make sure your watches are insured for current value, then wear them when you travel with less stress and worries.

For me, the watches I bring are dictated by which part of the world I am traveling to.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #14
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Maybe bring one watch and 2-3 bands and a bracelet?

I've a 3-5 week visit coming up and am packing with the mantra, "Don't bring anything important".
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 08:55 AM   #15
Walster
"TRF" Member

To each, their own. However, when I travel I like to keep things as simple as possible. One watch that never leaves my wrist.
Walster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:03 AM   #16
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
I took two to the Turks and Caicos a few weeks ago. One on my wrist and one in my murse. Locked the 15chnr in the safe while at the beach. 11chnr on the wrist. Swapped out in the evenings.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 09:29 AM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nothing easier than opening a regular hotel sentry safe.

Only to the Middle East I travel with more than one. Safest countries in the world
Old 11 May 2021, 11:15 PM   #18
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

If you are uneasy, only take a watch that you are wearing. The peace of mind is worth it.

I choose the one watch that I travel with based on the destination and which watch will be best for more of the expected occasions at that destination. If I will be on a boat,beach, pool etc most of the time that is open important consideration for me.

If I’ll be wearing a suit/ blazer and be in business settings more of the time, that’s another choice of watch.

For hybrids (say a conference in South Florida or Las Vegas) the good thing about Rolex is that nearly any model can work for both pool, beach and business whether it is a GMT or solid gold Daytona. The bracelet/ not waterproof strap becomes the issue with
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 11:50 PM   #19
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Whenever I travel, I always carry a change of clothes in my carry on. I usually will have one or two additional watches with me and I roll each in a sock and put them in the spare clothes. One would have to really dig through the bag to figure out there's watches within. If someone is going to steal from the bag vs just taking the entire thing, it's going to be a fast reach in and grab something that "feels valuable". In my opinion, that would be a watch roll.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote