The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2021, 04:17 AM   #31
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
This is where it gets a bit tricky. I know that these pieces are all somewhat "hot", and I am absolutely thankful to AP for allowing me to buy them. I am, however, concerned I have run out of brownie points with AP and now need to buy a bunch of much less "hot" stuff to get some brownie points back.

You feel "absolutely thankful" to AP for "allowing" you to buy them?! wow, that statement blows my mind. While I enjoy watches and APs, in no way am I thankful to them for selling me their product.
I guess the converse would be they just flat out refuse to sell it to me

So I guess I am thankful, but I do agree, it’s a ridiculous that it has gotten to the point where one should even in anyway feel thankful for being able to spend their hard earned money as a consumer.
hchiyan0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #32
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapide66 View Post
I asked for blue which I understand to be the most sought after. I guess that is too much of an ask?
yup, probably an uphill battle for you but never hurts to try - I have heard success stories but frankly in my own experience it's not going to happen.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 04:32 AM   #33
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
they don't say it, they have plenty of models on the website that are discontinued - super annoying. for example black CE ROO 44mm.
Yeah, drives me nuts - get's my hopes up every time...
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 06:12 AM   #34
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
those models are trading above retail so to a certain extent AP was selling him models for less than the market value
AP doesn't sell watches at "market value" hence why they have MSRP on their website. Again you are buying their product, they should be thanking you!
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:40 PM   #35
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AP doesn't sell watches at "market value" hence why they have MSRP on their website. Again you are buying their product, they should be thanking you!
If a rolex ad sells you a steel daytona at retail wouldnt you be thanksful to them?
maruchan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 02:48 PM   #36
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If a rolex ad sells you a steel daytona at retail wouldnt you be thanksful to them?
Only these days. Not 8 years ago before the hype and the madness.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 04:13 PM   #37
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Only these days. Not 8 years ago before the hype and the madness.
It was an analogy, I was trying to make my point that to a certain extent, a customer should be happy (or thankful as the word used by the OP) when he gets a watch at retail that others are paying more at grey market
Old 6 January 2021, 04:29 PM   #38
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was an analogy, I was trying to make my point that to a certain extent, a customer should be happy (or thankful as the word used by the OP) when he gets a watch at retail that others are paying more at grey market
I know.

And I was trying to illustrate the absurdity of the watch industry caused by all the hype that's out there.
Old 6 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #39
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Nope, because that is what they are in business to do. Why would I be thankful? In no way in hell would I pay over retail for anything, don't need/want anything that much so again no I wouldn't be thankful.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 03:58 PM   #40
Becweb
Banned

Quote:
Nope, because that is what they are in business to do. Why would I be thankful? In no way in hell would I pay over retail for anything, don't need/want anything that much so again no I wouldn't be thankful.
100% agree with this
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 04:12 PM   #41
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

No one should ever be thankful to have to part with $50k, $100k, $150k.

I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to make that money, but not to burn it.
Old 7 January 2021, 05:11 PM   #42
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one should ever be thankful to have to part with $50k, $100k, $150k.

I'm thankful to have had the opportunity to make that money, but not to burn it.

LOL 150K is pocket change for some people (such as Bill Gate)
Old 7 January 2021, 05:13 PM   #43
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL 150K is pocket change for some people (such as Bill Gate)
It's pocket change for a lot of people, including some here on TRF.

That said, I still don't feel it's appropriate for me to be thankful for the privilege to part with my $150k.

It's a privilege for them to have a product that makes me want to part with my $150k.
Old 7 January 2021, 06:05 PM   #44
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That said, I still don't feel it's appropriate for me to be thankful for the privilege to part with my $150k.

It's a privilege for them to have a product that makes me want to part with my $150k.

Lol

I’d be thankful if someone gave me a hundred dollar bill for a fifty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 06:31 PM   #45
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Lol

I’d be thankful if someone gave me a hundred dollar bill for a fifty

Likewise, I'd be thankful if someone give me a watch that trades at 30K for 15K LOL
Old 7 January 2021, 07:54 PM   #46
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Likewise, I'd be thankful if someone give me a watch that trades at 30K for 15K LOL
Why would it matter? Do you plan to sell it right away to realize those “gains”?

Why not just buy what you like?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 08:06 PM   #47
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
Why would it matter? Do you plan to sell it right away to realize those “gains”?

Why not just buy what you like?

Lol

Flippers aside, it matters because some people, but clearly not all, would rather pay 15k rather than 30k

fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 10:27 PM   #48
maruchan22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
Lol

Flippers aside, it matters because some people, but clearly not all, would rather pay 15k rather than 30k

I am not bill gate or jack ma so it matters lol
Old 8 January 2021, 09:50 AM   #49
donald83
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That was exactly wat my friend said who isn’t buying this kind of bullshit going about . He said they should be thanking him for buying but how come now he has to lick other peoples balls to sell to him

donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2021, 10:04 AM   #50
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
That was exactly wat my friend said who isn’t buying this kind of bullshit going about . He said they should be thanking him for buying but how come now he has to lick other peoples balls to sell to him
Old 15 January 2021, 02:28 AM   #51
phow
"TRF" Member

I sort of see it both ways...

On one hand, you are asking your AD to sell you something that is an asset that you could immediately flip for a substantial profit. To me, that is not a typical consumer purchase.

In fact, I would argue this is much more like a wholesale purchase. I'm sure many of you on TRF are experienced business owners with vendor relationships and understand there is a bit of relationship building that is required to get the best rates or allocations for the items/services you wish to resell. I have never had a vendor thank me for my purchase... I understand we are not purchasing these pieces with the intent to resell but the reality is this is what 90%+ of the daily inquiries these AD's receive on these hot pieces would to do if given the opportunity. So some vetting is absolutely warranted. This results in more of a business-like transaction.

On the other hand, there are also pieces you can purchase from any of the holy trinity brands that are not trading for 2x-3x on the secondary market that they will gladly thank you to purchase. So to say this doesn't happen is a bit unfair.

As far as the OP's question, my experience has been the same regardless if I'm trying to purchase a particular watch, low production vehicle, whatever... I find a SA that I trust and I'm honest about my goals with their brand. I have never had a situation where the SA wasn't honest in return about telling me what I would need to do on my end to make it happen. Sure it may not happen overnight but the timeframe has never really been a concern for me when it comes to these purchases.

But I absolutely agree with what others have said here. Don't buy anything you don't want. Any SA/AD that would ask you to buy pieces you don't have an interest in is not one I would support with my business.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #52
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Spend a ton of money at an A/P Boutique [...] Be sure to meet and schmooze the Boutique manager as well as your SA. Go in on a regular basis and bring each of them a very expensive bottle of Champagne or Cognac.
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm sorry it has come down (so low) to this. I'd never put myself in that position. Oh well.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 03:58 AM   #53
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Spend a ton of money at an A/P Boutique and establish a relationship and you can get allocated pieces. Buy an expensive Carolina Bucci Royal Oak in Gold as well as a Code1159. Be sure to meet and schmooze the Boutique manager as well as your SA. Go in on a regular basis and bring each of them a very expensive bottle of Champagne or Cognac.
Ultimately, it may work out that you can get one watch that makes up for the hit you take on the "sacrifices to the Gods" that you have to make and it's much more fun than going grey.
what's a carolina bucci royal oak? your strategy works if you are local to your boutique most people don't have a boutique close by though.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 05:41 AM   #54
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I miss the days when these were not "assets" that you could instantly flip for a mega profit.

The days when these were depreciating products that you could feel free to ask your salesperson to put in an order for you, and eventually it would show up, and they were very appreciative that you were buying a $XX,000 product from them.