The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2021, 11:09 AM   #31
bh_horology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see how this is a big deal. Their mistake, they should take off the fee or provide something in exchange. IMO they did you a favor.

Seriously? They did me a favor by stripping metal from my watch without my permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bh_horology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:39 AM   #32
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh_horology View Post
Seriously? They did me a favor by stripping metal from my watch without my permission?

If you didn’t trust the manufacture, why even buy their watch? I would think they do better than “stripping metal” when they work on one of their watches.

If you didn’t already show your behind when you left the store (then asked others for advice) I wouldn’t go back and insult them by saying they “stripped metal”. As others have mentioned, in the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal and this is just a watch. If you are planning on selling it as unpolished, this will be fine. And if you can’t take a $1-2k hit on a sale, you shouldn’t have bought an AP in the first place.

My opinion remains unchanged, they did you a favor. Next rational step is to go back to pick up your watch. Hope you enjoy it thereafter.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:43 AM   #33
bh_horology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you didn’t trust the manufacture, why even buy their watch? I would think they do better than “stripping metal” when they work on one of their watches.

If you didn’t already show your behind when you left the store (then asked others for advice) I wouldn’t go back and insult them by saying they “stripped metal”. As others have mentioned, in the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal and this is just a watch. If you are planning on selling it as unpolished, this will be fine. And if you can’t take a $1-2k hit on a sale, you shouldn’t have bought an AP in the first place.

My opinion remains unchanged, they did you a favor. Next rational step is to go back to pick up your watch. Hope you enjoy it thereafter.

I am not planning to sell the watch. This is not about the “resale value”. But it seems like you are the type of person who doesn’t care. Good for you. Wish next time you take your watch for service it comes back with a few “extras” you never asked for.

Old 17 January 2021, 12:10 PM   #34
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Everyone gets that you’re pissed off, and feels some empathy for your situation. But storming off the boutique, and then getting snippy to posters here aren’t the best way to deal with the situation mate.

As others have suggested, best speak to the manager at the boutique and see how they can help to make good in some ways. Not much else you can do or can be suggested here. Lots of good advice already. Hope it turns out well.
Old 17 January 2021, 12:10 PM   #35
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Rolex does the same thing.

I suspect that careless service persons routinely mishandle and damage the watches they service. Rather than deal with the customers ire for the damage, the service dept simply ignores the customers instructions to not polish. Trading in an image of gross incompetence for arrogance.
Old 17 January 2021, 12:13 PM   #36
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

BRAVO!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 12:24 PM   #37
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I suggest you go back and do the following:

1) Ask them to bring out a brand new 15500 or other royal oak.
2) Carefully examine your dual time and the brand new royal oak side by side. Loupe it. If they did a poor job or took off too much metal - it would be apparently.
i. If watch looks good and identical. Take the watch and perhaps ask them to waive the service fee. Up to you here. I think if it is not noticable side by side - should be very minor.

ii. If watch looks heavy polish especially the bezel or case. You can make your dis-satisfaction known. Worse case you could get a brand new bezel and bracelet but the case is usually something that has a serial number.

PS: Which boutique is this?
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 05:39 PM   #38
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

AP Boutique polishes watch without asking

Quote:

You should leave your watch with AP and never pick it up until they give you a new ss jumbo, or better yet, the ceramic open worked for free. Remember to also personally insult the SA and boutique manager so that they move you up their wait list for fear of losing a valued customer. Next, you should get a lawyer and sue AP for millions for stripping metal from your watch and destroying its value by making it look like new. Lastly, you should vent and pout on an online forum and ignore all advice because this is always the best way to resolve an issue.

fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:00 PM   #39
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post

2) Carefully examine your dual time and the brand new royal oak side by side. Loupe it. If they did a poor job or took off too much metal - it would be apparently.
i. If watch looks good and identical. Take the watch and perhaps ask them to waive the service fee. Up to you here. I think if it is not noticable side by side - should be very minor.

ii. If watch looks heavy polish especially the bezel or case. You can make your dis-satisfaction known. Worse case you could get a brand new bezel and bracelet but the case is usually something that has a serial number.

Not much more to be said.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 06:01 PM   #40
WatchLover1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
You should leave your watch with AP and never pick it up until they give you a new ss jumbo, or better yet, the ceramic open worked for free. Remember to also personally insult the SA and boutique manager so that they move you up their wait list for fear of losing a valued customer. Next, you should get a lawyer and sue AP for millions for stripping metal from your watch and destroying its value by making it look like new. Lastly, you should vent and pout on an online forum and ignore all advice because this is always the best way to resolve an issue.

I think you are crazy..
WatchLover1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:13 PM   #41
lllouisv1126
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post

OP has a valid concern. Like it or not, he doesn’t deserve the bashing

Last edited by Lol-x; 17 January 2021 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Abuse
lllouisv1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:33 PM   #42
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I am not planning to sell the watch. This is not about the “resale value”. But it seems like you are the type of person who doesn’t care. Good for you. Wish next time you take your watch for service it comes back with a few “extras” you never asked for.

Please show us pictures of your polished watch before anyone can make any real assessment. And if your watch was like you state before if it was polished as for metal removal it would be a micron or so of metal at most, and hardly the over exaggerated stripping metal from your watch. Yes they did not follow your instructions but if the polish job is good cannot see the problem so lets see the pictures.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:34 PM   #43
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllouisv1126 View Post
Just change ur name to full of shit.

OP has a valid concern. Like it or not, he doesn’t deserve the bashing

Try to keep up with the thread, Louis, instead of just reading the last comment.

OP asked for advice. He was given advice. He ignored the advice to rationally work the issue out with the boutique rather than "refuse to take his watch back". He then instead claimed in this thread that AP stripped metal from his watch .

Nice of you to stick up for your fellow snowflake though.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:16 PM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Gentlemen lets keep reply posts civil to the topic.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:37 PM   #45
GS93108
"TRF" Member

OP is pissed off. Fair enough.
OP has solicited opinions on what to do. Fair enough.
OP has shot down every comment offering an opinion. Rude!
OP hasn’t voiced an opinion of his own. Leave him to sort out his own mess. He’s either genuinely pissed off, a troll, or trying to leverage AP, I’m not saying which, but it’s one of those, and clearly ‘we’ can’t help.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:46 PM   #46
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

I think we should cut the OP some slack. I would be pretty damn annoyed as well, as would most gents that like to preserve their watches in their original state.
After 10 years of very good care on a RO which you either purchased new and took care of, or you bought from the grey because it was seldom worn and extremely crisp, only to have the Boutique polish it against your will would piss anyone off IMO.

I'm sorry this happened OP, and I would be pretty annoyed as well.
You do have to go in at some point, I suggest you don't make enemies out of them and speak to them and tell them that you're upset for all the reasons that it upsets you (understandably).
Yes it's "just" a watch, but everyone has different thresholds and different reasons to collect and different expectations, and so just because some guys can't understand why you should be upset about it doesn't mean its an invalid reason.

Speak to them. Try to find a common ground, see if they'd compensate you in the future somehow.
Also, send photos when you can.

Good luck!
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #47
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post
I think we should cut the OP some slack. I would be pretty damn annoyed as well, as would most gents that like to preserve their watches in their original state.
After 10 years of very good care on a RO which you either purchased new and took care of, or you bought from the grey because it was seldom worn and extremely crisp, only to have the Boutique polish it against your will would piss anyone off IMO.

You do have to go in at some point, I suggest you don't make enemies out of them and speak to them and tell them that you're upset for all the reasons that it upsets you (understandably).
Yes it's "just" a watch, but everyone has different thresholds and different reasons to collect and different expectations, and so just because some guys can't understand why you should be upset about it doesn't mean its an invalid reason.

Speak to them. Try to find a common ground, see if they'd compensate you in the future somehow.

Good luck!
Pissed over what? It's not some vintage time piece worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is the first time it was polished. They barely would have removed any material as the moderator stated. He didn't have a gash in the watch at least from the pictures.

So they made it look new again. I sold one of my APs even though it was polished once. It didn't make a single difference in resale value.

If this was a vintage Patek that he got from an auction or was planning to auction, I would 100% understand he being livid. But it's not. He needs to get over it and move on with his life. Let's say AP screwed up and over polished the watch. Worst case scenario he gets a new bezel from them for free. It's not that serious.....
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:06 AM   #48
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflywrist View Post

Good luck!
+1 to this. I'm sure that as luxury watch owners, we are all decently accomplished professionals and can afford to be civil to everyone in this discussion.
Old 18 January 2021, 01:09 AM   #49
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
OP, I suggest a visit with your mommy and a glass of warm milk will cure all.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:35 AM   #50
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I am curious to know from the OP what is troubling you to such an extent ?

- the watch now looking brand new ?
- that a minuscule amount of metal has been lost and it can only be repolished 4 more times by AP
- that instructions weren’t followed

I expect it’s the last one as rationally the first two aren’t such a bad thing once the emotion calms down.

If it’s a bad polishing job, then sure it’s not good enough. Let’s see some photos.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:50 AM   #51
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
My God this is why I hate the internet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2021, 03:08 AM   #52
bh_horology
"TRF" Member

Fellow members - I have gone through the various stages of grief and I am now in the “acceptance” phase. Will go and pick up the watch today and post pictures once I get it. These things happen and no sense in creating drama about it.
Be Kind.

Old 18 January 2021, 03:20 AM   #53
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I am sure everybody here hopes you are happy in the end. I’m guessing you will be. This entire “no polishing” thing is really silly for anything outside of vintage watches, but much like everything these days emotions run high. If this was done by AP, your watch is going to look amazing. This said, if you specifically asked them not to do it and they didn’t follow your instructions, I’d be pissed off too. However, I think you’re taking the right approach. Go back to the boutique in the right frame of mind and in the end everybody will win.

Best of luck to you, and please post the watch when you get it back. After all this chatter, I won’t be able to sleep without seeing it :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2021, 03:40 AM   #54
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fellow members - I have gone through the various stages of grief and I am now in the “acceptance” phase. Will go and pick up the watch today and post pictures once I get it. These things happen and no sense in creating drama about it.
Be Kind.

GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:49 AM   #55
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Be Kind.

Good call. My experience with AP is that they do a great job polishing. Factory perfect. Way better than Rolex.

Not that you wanted it; but you got it.

Takes me some time to gather my perspective, too, sometimes.

Look forward to pics. Bet it will be crisp.
Old 18 January 2021, 08:42 AM   #56
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Be Kind.

Old 18 January 2021, 09:43 AM   #57
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

^ I think this is solid advice.

I personally don’t really know how I feel about polishing but that really has nothing to do with the OP’s issue. The bottomline is that the AD didn’t perform the service as agreed and now the OP needs to figure out the best way to reasonably remedy the situation. Whether or not we agree that the OP should or should not be for or against polishing is completely irrelevant.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 01:14 AM   #58
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This, but then after step 1, pull out the credit card and buy it.

Yes OP, feel your pain and annoyance. Best to parlay the error into something else you want since it's impossible to undo the mistake.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 02:05 AM   #59
eiesh
"TRF" Member

aq
eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 07:45 PM   #60
Nauti
"TRF" Member

OP....you have a lovely watch....feel your frustration happens when i take a car for service with A4 sheet on passenger seat saying “Do Not Wash’....and also tell receptionist and bearing in mind its mint going in.....and they still wash it with a shitty sponge ....MB add scratches at least AP have removed scratches...

Pick up watch enjoy it.....stainless AP are very hardy and I doubt anything has been removed, if the bezel and case were already perfect i think it unlikely they will have done anything drastic with it...re-brush finishing the bracelet is a cosmetic operation if there were only mild ‘desk divers’...they only heavy polish watches with ‘dinks’ to blend in and yours had none....

Think of it as a cosmetic valet rather than a polish..

Enjoy...
Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote