The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2018, 08:52 AM   #1
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Overwhelmed by Seiko variety, need a course (Seiko101 sticky perhaps?)

I have always been a fan of Seiko watches ever since I was a kid, having seen my brothers brag about their Seiko 5 Automatic watches back in 1970s.

Every time I approach and want to buy something Seiko, I am overwhelmed by the variety out there. I look for a turtle, I come across samurais, then monsters, ... typical search results in thoughts like "hey, this one looks like a gorgeous diver, should be about $300 or so, I will buy it! What, wait a minute, this one is $3300??? Why? looks just like that other $300 one??"

I wish there was (I am sure there is) some one pagers, some quick guideline that would show me the classification and names of various Seikos, a way to recognize different types from one another, price ranges and just general info to get me started.

I know there are tons of material out there on internet and I can join and search various forums and get myself familiar with, but I know some of those knowledgeable enthusiasts are also here on this forum.

Can someone please put some sticky up on this sub-forum that would help people like me who want to get started in Seiko world, kind of a quick start guide??

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Pongster
"TRF" Member

For me, i just took the plunge (no prior research) and learned more about the brand as i went along.

I started with GS in 2016.

Then Seiko 5.

Then got into Turtles and Samurais. And then other divers.

Then got into vintage stuff.

Then got into Zimbes.

Thinking of the Astron next.

Good luck with your journey.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:28 PM   #3
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Hmmm... I suggest starting slow. Find a decent skx007 out there. They are discontinued but they made more than Rolex made subs. It can be modded to look like just about anything but I think you should keep it stock for now.

Learn to line with an automatic that doesn’t hand wind... setting day and date. I dare say one of the last true tool watches.

Then you are ready. Love the 007/009 (if you like the Pepsi bezel) and keep your eyes open. Search images on line and note the referenc numbers of the ones you like. THE vintage diver is the “62mas” and there are modded newer watches to look like it too. Rand new anniversary Seiko as well, for used sub money. A rare case where the vintage original is cheaper than the new one.

Oh boy! The chronographs! How about a Quartz “ripley” or I prefer the gray/red one the android wore... all the complications you could want, Seiko did or does offer.

Grand Seiko! Those who are truly able to evaluate watches objectively agree- GS is world class, second only to the true hand made boutique offerings. Stunning in their detail, finishing, accuracy and decorating of movements. Top tier mass produced pieces. Rather expensive new as well.

If it’s all a out having fun. The great thing about Seiko is they are quality, inexpensive and can be serviced anywhere on the planet.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 01:01 PM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I've had only Seko divers dating back the last 20 years or so. The aforementioned SKX series was my first and I stll have one recent Pepsi bezel. Then I got into Monsters. Had Gen I's in black and orange as well as blue and red dialed limited editions. Gen II cane out with the newer hacking/winding movement. I first had the PVD black with orange and black dial, and still have one of the black/red dialed Blood Monsters. There was briefly a Gen III but I think the only Monsters left are some occasional Japan only limiteds.
I consider the current Turtle series as the spiritual successors to the Monsters. They come with a variety of variations, the hacking/winding movement, and are tough as nails. Incredible value for the price. MSRP is around $500 for them but easy to find for around $300-375.
I haven't found a Grand Seiko yet that sings to me but as everyone says the finish on them will have you questioning what haute horology is all about.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 05:47 PM   #5
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
For me, i just took the plunge (no prior research) and learned more about the brand as i went along.

I started with GS in 2016.

Then Seiko 5.

Then got into Turtles and Samurais. And then other divers.

Then got into vintage stuff.

Then got into Zimbes.

Thinking of the Astron next.

Good luck with your journey.

I saw a picture of your collection in the other thread and you have an impressive array of Seikos. Beautiful set.

I agree with you about it being a journey. Can’t wait to get started on it with the lower end and work my way up to GS someday, funds permitting.

Thanks for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 22 September 2018, 05:54 PM   #6
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Hmmm... I suggest starting slow. Find a decent skx007 out there. They are discontinued but they made more than Rolex made subs. It can be modded to look like just about anything but I think you should keep it stock for now.

Learn to line with an automatic that doesn’t hand wind... setting day and date. I dare say one of the last true tool watches.

Then you are ready. Love the 007/009 (if you like the Pepsi bezel) and keep your eyes open. Search images on line and note the referenc numbers of the ones you like. THE vintage diver is the “62mas” and there are modded newer watches to look like it too. Rand new anniversary Seiko as well, for used sub money. A rare case where the vintage original is cheaper than the new one.

Oh boy! The chronographs! How about a Quartz “ripley” or I prefer the gray/red one the android wore... all the complications you could want, Seiko did or does offer.

Grand Seiko! Those who are truly able to evaluate watches objectively agree- GS is world class, second only to the true hand made boutique offerings. Stunning in their detail, finishing, accuracy and decorating of movements. Top tier mass produced pieces. Rather expensive new as well.

If it’s all a out having fun. The great thing about Seiko is they are quality, inexpensive and can be serviced anywhere on the planet.

Thank you for taking the time to write such beautiful reply. Hints of what a newbie should look for and learn about. There sure is a lot to learn and explore.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 22 September 2018, 06:08 PM   #7
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I've had only Seko divers dating back the last 20 years or so. The aforementioned SKX series was my first and I stll have one recent Pepsi bezel. Then I got into Monsters. Had Gen I's in black and orange as well as blue and red dialed limited editions. Gen II cane out with the newer hacking/winding movement. I first had the PVD black with orange and black dial, and still have one of the black/red dialed Blood Monsters. There was briefly a Gen III but I think the only Monsters left are some occasional Japan only limiteds.
I consider the current Turtle series as the spiritual successors to the Monsters. They come with a variety of variations, the hacking/winding movement, and are tough as nails. Incredible value for the price. MSRP is around $500 for them but easy to find for around $300-375.
I haven't found a Grand Seiko yet that sings to me but as everyone says the finish on them will have you questioning what haute horology is all about.

Great info, thank you. There are some beautiful fun examples of monsters out there that are very interesting to say the least. I have seen in person a local friend/TRFer’s green JDM monster SZSC005 and just last week his new sumo SZSC004 which I thought were amazing quality and looked gorgeous. ( I hope I put the correct reference numbers there. )

From what I have seen so far, it seems like Seiko’s limited editions are truly limited in quantity produced, but then there seem to be a whole variety of limited editions out there, so I am not sure how to approach the limited edition that I am currently interested (Nemo turtle). Do they stay available to buy new generally after the hype dies down, or should one jump in sooner than later since they do generally become hard to find?

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 22 September 2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
You can jump in on any floor, though. Start up with GS if you feel attracted to it
Old 22 September 2018, 09:19 PM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

J!m the SKX007 is not discontinued. I saw both the 007 and 009 at my local authorised Seiko/Grand Seiko dealer only 2 days ago. They had them on both rubber straps and jubilee bracelets.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 09:57 PM   #10
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Recently bought the SKX 007 and 009 on line. Really like them, mine are on rubber straps.
Seems like no shortage of them!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:28 AM   #11
faz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
You can jump in on any floor, though. Start up with GS if you feel attracted to it

Haha. Sure. Watch funds are low now, so starting small and working my way up.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2018, 10:23 AM   #12
faz
"TRF" Member

Overwhelmed by Seiko variety, need a course (Seiko101 sticky perhaps?)

By the way, the one that got me most interested and now buying a Seiko is this one that I came across back in July in a WRUW thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
This is a beauty. I have been trying to search for this since seeing this picture to no avail. Is this a customized version? Reference number please??

Edit: found it, thanks to Instagram. SRPC95 it seems.

I am in process of purchasing one of these online now. Will see how it goes. But please, anyone has any guidance or other suggestions on model differences and basically general info, feel free to share as I am all ears.

Instagram @fazmoto
Old 23 September 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Good choice for a first seiko.

The dial is stunning in person.

I also have the orange samurai (the SS version, not the original titanium though). And the nemo’s dial beats it hands down.

Havent tried the blue strap though.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:19 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

That's a good choice Faz. I'd swap out the stock bracelet for strapcode bracelet and Mariner Master 300 claps, this modification makes the watch a joy to wear

oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote