The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2018, 08:48 AM   #1
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Can’t decide GS Snowflake or Rolex OP 114300

I’m posting this on both Seiko and Rolex discussion pages, it’ll be interesting to see the responses.
I contemplating either one of these pieces for my upcoming birthday as a gift to myself. I would like to hear comments from all of you especially those who own one or both of these pieces.
I own Rolexes and appreciate their quality but lately the availability and prices situation is getting a bit silly. Besides I think they are a bit overpriced for a mass produced product as well made as they are. The OP that I’m looking at seems to be a fairly good value at that price point and that blue dial is simply gorgeous.
The Snowflake has been on my radar for about 2 years. The only things that is holding me back is the lightness of the watch, the thickness of the case and the seemingly less robust feel of the bracelet and clasp when compared to a new oyster bracelet. The finishing, the spring drive and the dial are what make this watch sings.
The Rolex is about $1000 less than the Seiko.
Neither one of theses watches are the type of grail watches that make my heart skip a beat. If money was no object I would get a ALS Saxonia thin manual wind but I’m not there yet.
I actually have a Snowflake on hold for me at the moment.
I know the decision is my own but I’d like the opinions of all of you to help me tip the scale one way or the other.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 05:55 PM   #2
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at the SBGH267? Throw that in the mix.

What's the occasion and reason for the watch if they are not terribly exciting/grail type purchases. May make it easier to decide on which.

I have the rhodium 39 and it is a great watch. I was very underwhelmed by the snowflake when I saw it but that may be because I had it so hyped up from reading about it and the pictures. Still a great piece but I didn't feel the love at the time. Would still check it out again in the future to see if I feel the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 06:13 PM   #3
TudorTuesday
"TRF" Member

I own neither, but have spent time with both... So take my opinion for what it's worth. :)

The OP is a modern classic. I have no doubt it will age gracefully, and run like a top for generations. It wears well, is relatively understated, and isn't meant to be innovative or groundbreaking.

The GS, on the other hand, is a technical tour de force. Finishing, dial, and movement are all state-of-the-art. The lightness that puts you off is due not to lesser quality, but to the titanium used - which is finished as well or better than any traditional steel piece - which in itself is a feat. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing, leaving traditional horology in the dust without looking like a space-station and a slot machine had a baby, and you decided to wear it on your wrist (Richard mille anyone?).

The GS will be remembered over time, the OP will always just be another OP. They are both excellent, but if you're truly considering both, then the GS gets my vote every time.
TudorTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
First off, I am a huge fan of white dial watches so both the white OP 114300 and GS snowflake SBGA211 and the older SBGA011 were both on my radar. Ultimately I want a white Patek Nautilus 5711 but that may never happen.

Having said that, I recently had a chance at one of the first white OP 114300’s and while I liked the low key all brushed aspect of it, I didn’t like the lack of the extend a link. Dot get me wrong, it’s a great watch and the dial is white silver and gray depending on the angle.
I also passed because I swore I wasn’t going to buy another watch until I could get a 5711.

A few months back I tried on the newer GS SBGA211 and loved the lightness of it and the snowflake dial. I’m starting to appreciate watches much more by their comfort than any other aspect. So my white Daytona 116520 is worn in rotation daily.

This may go against the grain but I don’t like the new GS logo.

So a few weeks ago, a SBGA011 came up for sale and I pounced on it as there are less and less of the dual signed dials. I actually like that it says SEIKO on top. That way no one but a true WIS will know what a gem it is.

Needless to say I am so impressed with the GS 011 that I’m no longer yearning for a 5711.
It’s so lightweight and comfortable and the finishing is on the same level as my AP 15400.
The GS is just gorgeous.

In most circles Rolex beats Seiko, but to me the GS snowflake beats the Rolex OP.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2018, 05:34 PM   #5
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Well I did it, I pulled the trigger today. I spent the weekend looking at the OP and the JLC Master Control Sector dial (another one in the running) and went over it over and over in my head. I decided neither one of those would do. I walked into the AD still thinking I may back out but when I saw the snowflake in person again I was convinced this is the one. I spent the entire afternoon looking at the dial, the indexes and the hands. They are simply gorgeous, the workmanship and the attention to detail is unparalleled even for watches at double the price point. I don’t own a Royal Oak but I have had handled one on several occasions and may I be so bold to say the Snowflake dial is up there with it. The movement finish is adaquate but nothing to write home about but then again I don’t have a $30,000 budget so I can’t complain. One of the deciding factor was the spring drive, it’s an interesting technology and seems to have very good reviews but that’ll have to proofed out over a period of wearing and ownership. Overall the quality in terms of finishing and attention to details blows Rolex out of the water. The best part of it is it’s like a secret handshake; it’s a $200 Seiko to 99.9% of the people out there, only watchheads like me knows what a gem it is. Without further ado the obligatory wrist shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 835CF334-BB40-4850-880C-9AD9B8B153E0.jpeg (177.7 KB, 588 views)
Old 30 August 2018, 01:09 AM   #6
RickRolexed
"TRF" Member

Beautiful GS, my favorite one and the only GS I own though I am intrigued by the new "peacock" models too, the snowflake is probably their most iconic spring drive model.
RickRolexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 02:52 AM   #7
Libban
"TRF" Member

Congrats! This is exciting. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.
Libban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 03:34 AM   #8
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I much prefer the GS over the OP. That said, you didn’t list any negatives about the OP in your post. I think for you, the right answer is the OP. If you already think a watch feels cheap then you aren’t going to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 03:44 AM   #9
onemany
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
Well I did it, I pulled the trigger today.
If you really want to appreciate the finishing get a loupe and give the watch a once over. For a sub 6K watch the finishing is incredible.
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 07:33 AM   #10
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemany View Post
If you really want to appreciate the finishing get a loupe and give the watch a once over. For a sub 6K watch the finishing is incredible.
Funny you said that, I have been carrying a loupe in my pocket today all day . Like you said the finishing is incredible. I own a JLC at double the price and it can't hold a candle to the finishing of my GS.
Old 30 August 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I much prefer the GS over the OP. That said, you didn’t list any negatives about the OP in your post. I think for you, the right answer is the OP. If you already think a watch feels cheap then you aren’t going to like it.

There is not much negative to say about the OP on its own but on comparison to the GS it just isn't in the same league as far as the finishing goes. The OP is a tried and true solid watch, well made and undeniable brand recognition. I would say it would be a great choice if it is a first nice watch or first Rolex. I already own several Rolexes and I have started to look else where for more interesting options. Rolex was just getting a bit "same old same old" to me. I was looking for a daily wear watch with differences in watchmaking technologies and style. I am a fan of Omega and have a lot of respect for their innovation in technology but they just feel too mass market to me. I looked at Cartier and passed on them really quickly. I looked at the JLC Master Control sector dial and the finishing feels sub par to the GS.
Anyways one day in and I think I made the right choice. It was not love at first sight but I think this is a watch I will grow into. It seems to me the more in depth I look the more I discover and appreciate this watch. The OP will just be another Rolex with a nice dial.
Old 30 August 2018, 07:50 AM   #12
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
I spent the entire afternoon looking at the dial, the indexes and the hands. They are simply gorgeous, the workmanship and the attention to detail is unparalleled even for watches at double the price point. Overall the quality in terms of finishing and attention to details blows Rolex out of the water. The best part of it is it’s like a secret handshake; it’s a $200 Seiko to 99.9% of the people out there, only watchheads like me knows what a gem it is.
Right.
Right.
Right.
We all know Rolex isn't going to be hurting for clientele or revenue, even in the face of the recent shortage, withholding, demand or whatever they want to blame it on. But I think an unintended consequence is that watch buyers are looking elsewhere and finding other options. Now, that marketshare will have to be shared with brands that never would've been noticed before. In fact, many buyers are seeing that Rolex is not leaps and bounds above other brands....if above at all. I love my Rolexes, but my Grand Seikos are better watches, period. And, I guess you could say Rolex is responsible for me buying GSs. Also, there are 3-4 Grand Seikos on my to-buy list, while there are no other Rolexes I want right now. In closing, when I last visited the GS boutique in Beverly Hills, the salesman told me 80% of his clients were coming from current Patek Philippe owners.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 08:54 AM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Very attractive snowflake!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 08:59 AM   #14
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
There is not much negative to say about the OP on its own but on comparison to the GS it just isn't in the same league as far as the finishing goes. The OP is a tried and true solid watch, well made and undeniable brand recognition. I would say it would be a great choice if it is a first nice watch or first Rolex. I already own several Rolexes and I have started to look else where for more interesting options. Rolex was just getting a bit "same old same old" to me. I was looking for a daily wear watch with differences in watchmaking technologies and style. I am a fan of Omega and have a lot of respect for their innovation in technology but they just feel too mass market to me. I looked at Cartier and passed on them really quickly. I looked at the JLC Master Control sector dial and the finishing feels sub par to the GS.

Anyways one day in and I think I made the right choice. It was not love at first sight but I think this is a watch I will grow into. It seems to me the more in depth I look the more I discover and appreciate this watch. The OP will just be another Rolex with a nice dial.

I seen that you picked the GS after I posted. I would have done the same. It is a stunning piece with fantastic craftsmanship. I hope it brings you many years of joy :)

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 09:08 AM   #15
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Right.
Right.
Right.
We all know Rolex isn't going to be hurting for clientele or revenue, even in the face of the recent shortage, withholding, demand or whatever they want to blame it on. But I think an unintended consequence is that watch buyers are looking elsewhere and finding other options. Now, that marketshare will have to be shared with brands that never would've been noticed before. In fact, many buyers are seeing that Rolex is not leaps and bounds above other brands....if above at all. I love my Rolexes, but my Grand Seikos are better watches, period. And, I guess you could say Rolex is responsible for me buying GSs. Also, there are 3-4 Grand Seikos on my to-buy list, while there are no other Rolexes I want right now. In closing, when I last visited the GS boutique in Beverly Hills, the salesman told me 80% of his clients were coming from current Patek Philippe owners.
This is exactly me. I have re-directed my Rolex fund monies and am currently waiting to pick up 2 GS in November. Thanks Rolex for helping me see the light!!
p.s. thanks to Jocke too for his amazing photography skills in capturing the crazy detail of the snowflake
Old 30 August 2018, 10:11 AM   #16
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Was going to get a sub 116610 but ended up with a 214270 Explorer and a Tudor black bay red instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 02:53 PM   #17
Wakafc86
Banned

If its any help at all, I will be comparing the two side by side in a video. Will release next week.

Cheers
Wakafc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 12:14 AM   #18
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakafc86 View Post
If its any help at all, I will be comparing the two side by side in a video. Will release next week.

Cheers
Where will you be posting it? Can you send me a pm with a link when you do?
Old 4 September 2018, 12:19 AM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Congrats! The Snowflake GS is a classic. An excellent choice. Rolex finishing doesn't compare to be honest.
Old 4 September 2018, 12:30 AM   #20
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Congrats! The Snowflake GS is a classic. An excellent choice. Rolex finishing doesn't compare to be honest.
Thanks Ben. Another watch that I’ve been having my eyes on is the Royal Oak and I noticed you own both. I know the movement on the AP is much better finished, the movement aside, how do they compare?
Old 4 September 2018, 12:32 AM   #21
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Ben. Another watch that I’ve been having my eyes on is the Royal Oak and I noticed you own both. I know the movement on the AP is much better finished, the movement aside, how do they compare?
Which Royal Oak you are referring to? I have four.
Old 4 September 2018, 12:39 AM   #22
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

The 15400, I believe that’s the one on your avatar?
Old 4 September 2018, 01:47 AM   #23
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice congrats!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 02:50 AM   #24
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 15400, I believe that’s the one on your avatar?
To be honest, they are quite different and difficult to answer but I'll try. Note that these are strictly personal opinions.

Dial side, actually the GS is more precise and better finish in terms of indices, the precise layout ( even under a 10X loupe ) and the special snowflake dial, but the tappiserie dial on the royal oak is something very unique. Case polishing, because of Zaratzu technique which is for me, the best in the business for SS, it's better in the GS. However, the royal oak bracelet is quite possibly the most attractive in horological world, done by hand and complex, it's better than the GS bracelet.

Overall

Dial side = about on par, slight plus for GS
Case finishing GS > AP
Bracelet AP > SG

But we are really talking about small margins here.

Ultimately, the price of GS is lower ( 1/3 of AP? ), hence much better value theoretically but for AP, you are paying for the brand prestige, image and perhaps better resale potential.
Old 4 September 2018, 03:54 AM   #25
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Having checking out the snow flake, I have to say it's a beauty. If I have to choose between a GS and steel DJ, I would definitely pick the GS for that dial, polish, bracelet. IMO the claps on the GS could be nicer. The GS is a hidden gem.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:34 PM   #26
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Snowflake easily of the two
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 12:59 PM   #27
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Congrats! I would make the same choice.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 04:21 PM   #28
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Get the Rolex. Ultimately brand name matter. GS is really for people who wants a GS, if you are undecided, I think going for GS will result in buyers remorse when friends starts to question your decision.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 03:44 AM   #29
redfoxer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakafc86 View Post

Cheers
Would like to see this video too!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
redfoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 03:59 AM   #30
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Get the Rolex. Ultimately brand name matter. GS is really for people who wants a GS, if you are undecided, I think going for GS will result in buyers remorse when friends starts to question your decision.

You'll have buyer's remorse when your friends aren't impressed?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote