The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2008, 05:02 AM   #151
Skippy

A lot of people are saying the bracelet and clasp are not to there liking but they have proven to be very sturdy and lot's of vintage Rolex watches are still on the original bracelet. Not all bracelets on these watches are in great shape but still with other manufacturars you often see aftermarket leather straps on vintage offerings. Also as DSJ also stated the clasp never opens when you don't want it and I never read of any of the old style clasps braking down something that can't be said for the clasp on the new GMT IIc.

So if it ain't broke why fix it...
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2008, 05:48 AM   #152
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkalter1@comcast.n View Post
Yes,I'm a third generation watchmaker in Philadelphia...and Rolex Service account-holder;'still can learn alot here.
Welcome, Sam! I'm sure that you have a lot to teach us, also, as we all come here to learn.
Old 28 June 2008, 07:12 AM   #153
Ursa Major
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
Great historical articles. It was the Everest summit with the Explorer (although Sir Ed wore a Smith's) that really put Rolex on the map in the U.S., IMHO. That and the 1953 Geophysical Year ads featuring that watch in National Geographic. Those facts are what sparked my interest in the Explorer line up.Thanks for posting.

Not for the first time, I'm in awe of your collection.
Old 28 June 2008, 08:50 AM   #154
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
Not for the first time, I'm in awe of your collection.
Thanks, Dave. We are kindred spirits in many ways. I've thought "Ursa Major" was the coolest moniker since I first saw it. My favorite constellation.
Old 28 June 2008, 09:25 PM   #155
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I will say that I have not yet had the Expy2's (or Submariner's) clasp inadvertently open on me yet, but I have with my SMP. Plus it IS doing better at avoiding/concealing scratches better than the SMP too.
David,

I have no doubt that the Rolex clasp is secure but why does it have to look so "cheap"? The clasp on my Citizen GMT looks more substantial.

I've never had any Omega clasp open inadvertantly and yes, the clasps are "scratch magnets" but a couple of swipes with a 15 micron polishing cloth restores the "as-new" look. The Rolex clasp will require more exact polishing.

But as I said, the Rolex bracelet is growing on me, especially the all satin links.

Fr. John+
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 02:29 AM   #156
Jigga
"TRF" Member

Is there a way to remove a scratch on the bezel?
The numbers weren't scratched at all.
Jigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 02:34 AM   #157
Skippy

You might try using one of these scratch removal pens but you must be sure what you are doing and practice first on other old watches or steel surfaces. I also have a few light scratches without the numbers being damaged and am thinking of trying this too but have to wait for a suplier to order the pens and I'm not in a hurry so won't buy them on the internet. Still do try not to worry to mutch about scratches cause they will get on there whatever you do.
http://www.mywatchmaker.net/1bscratchremovalpen.htm
Old 29 June 2008, 02:46 AM   #158
Tempo

Quote:
The watch is essentially the same as the legacy GMT II's, minus the rotating bezel.
That, for me, is the fundamental reason why I would buy a Sub, YM or GMT before an Explorer.

I think the EXP II is strikingly beautiful and elegant. It is not as much of a cool gadget, though, with a bezel that is stuck in place. A bit like those machines in museums where the controls are glued frozen so people can't fiddle with them anymore.
Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2008, 04:51 AM   #159
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

I wonder if its because of the fixed bezel.
Old 30 June 2008, 05:27 AM   #160
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo View Post
That, for me, is the fundamental reason why I would buy a Sub, YM or GMT before an Explorer.

I think the EXP II is strikingly beautiful and elegant. It is not as much of a cool gadget, though, with a bezel that is stuck in place. A bit like those machines in museums where the controls are glued frozen so people can't fiddle with them anymore.
Another way of looking at it is that it's one less thing that can break or get grit/sand inside of, furthering its reputation as a watch for exploration!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 03:27 PM   #161
ThatOneGuy

Watch: SS Daytona
Great thread! Looking forward to joining the EXPII club.
ThatOneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 06:50 PM   #162
bsblau

Watch: SD & ExpII
Sir Edmund's son;

For what's its worth, Sir Edmunds son - Peter Hillary
wears a White dialed Explorer II. Google for his pic
and you can see a white-dialled watch. Which I have
seen many times (to be) a Rolex Explorer II white dial.
bsblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 09:24 PM   #163
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
I do like the blk dial'd ExpyII... very sleek and definately up to the job!! :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 09:26 PM   #164
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Another way of looking at it is that it's one less thing that can break or get grit/sand inside of, furthering its reputation as a watch for exploration!
I do like that feature (or lack of) gives it that tough as feel!
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2008, 11:04 PM   #165
mingo

Why? Two words....National Geographic....:)
mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 02:00 AM   #166
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Extollations of Explorer II wearing Ease

I got a PM from a fellow member asking about why I find the Explorer II to be so comfortable. Much of this is a reiteration, but many agree that the Explorer II is the most comfortable wearing (full-size - i.e. not Explorer I or mid-size YM) Sport Rolex in the current lineup. I hope others will chime in.

Although I had heard the Explorer II was a comfortable watch, I only fully realized what this meant after I started wearing mine.

My SMP which has been my frequent companion since 2000, is a very comfortable watch, albeit 36mm. When I started wearing my 16613 Submariner, I became very aware of its increased size, thick caseback and Triplock crown, which was digging into my wrist at first and even caused a callous. I've learned to wear it differently, which mitigated any discomfort, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I got my Explorer II to experience how differently it wears.

For starters, it sits much closer to the wrist, the thinner caseback being the major reason for that. The Twinlock crown, while a detractor to some, is also an attribute for greater comfort, as it does not protrude and dig into the skin when the watch happenst to be sitting closer to the hand and wrist movement moves the crown against it. JJ's advice of having the AD move one link from the 6 o'clock side to the 12 o'clock side also made an improvement as to how the watch sits on the wrist. I have a 6.75-7" wrists (depending on swelling), so the watch fits perfectly with this 5/8 configuration and the clasp adjustment on the tightest setting. My suggestion to those with smaller wrists would be to have the 6th link removed from the 6 o'clock side first so you have a 5/7 configuration. Much of this may hold true to the 16710 GMT Master, but I don't know - I've never worn one.

In summation, this watch just fits so well, and is so comfortable, that its wearing is much less noticable than the Submariner. Another "EDGE" to the enigmatic Explorer II!

JJ's review should also be linked to this thread: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=19204
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 02:14 AM   #167
Sam Taha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Before I knew anything about watches and was a loser who even considered wearing fakes, I bought a fake black-face Exp II from Thailand. Obviously knowing it was fake and being the type of guy who can't even lie about it (I'd tell everyone it was fake even before they asked), I wasn't really satisfied. But hey, it got me hooked on the Rolex look. So eventually I got an SS Submariner (yes, a real one), and something about the Submariner gives it that "superior" appeal vs. the Explorer II. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the Sub has more history, more stories to go with it, more of a classic look, etc. Anyway, I still love the Explorer II, and I think my next Rolex will be the white one. It's the perfect watch for my extreme exotic adventures like... bbq's.. trips to the beach...driving to work...you know, crazy stuff.
Sam Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 02:52 AM   #168
Frank 21

I just sold my EXP II Polar white for 3,000 over the wknd..It just didn't make me happy..When I first purchased the the watch two people told me it looked to much like a TAG HEUER..That was it for me. The watch just got a little boring for me.
Frank 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 03:05 AM   #169
Skippy

A shame that the Explorer II didn't do it for you but luckely we all heave different tastes. I do understand the atraction of the Sub but that's a watch that probably gets copied the most by other manufacturers and also lot of fake subs around so even more chance of running into similar looking watches. They do have a great history though and in that area the Sub is very hard to beat. If I was going to get a diver myself I probably go for the Seadweller because I like its bulky look and the lack of the cyclops.

And for those people that think that it looks to mutch like a Tag Heuer, sorry but they don't know mutch about watches in the first place I'm afraid.
Personally I don't care what people say and actualy I own a Tag or two and also love these watches. BTW the tag S/el and Link I own get loads more compliments then my Explorer II will ever get I'm afraid but that's not why I'm wearing watches. I only buy what I like.
Old 26 August 2008, 04:03 AM   #170
dotcomakazee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 42mm
I think it's because of the lower profile. It doesn't look at big as a GMT or Sub due to the different bezel. Therefore, it probably ceases to o"smile" back to many people like the Sub and GMT do. I have owned one in the past and now I'm longing for one again. Polar only though. I really don't like the black face.

dotcomakazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 05:45 AM   #171
daytona1

The EXP II was my first sport model. To me it just is'nt a very interesting watch. If I am correct I think it was made for Caving. Or for use in situations where you might not see daylight for extended periods of time hence the 24 hour hand. Its a pretty cool entry level Rolex sport model that lets a budding collector get his feet wet without breaking the bank. That reason alone is why I think the watch has gotten so popular.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 05:59 AM   #172
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
The EXP II was my first sport model. To me it just is'nt a very interesting watch. If I am correct I think it was made for Caving. Or for use in situations where you might not see daylight for extended periods of time hence the 24 hour hand. Its a pretty cool entry level Rolex sport model that lets a budding collector get his feet wet without breaking the bank. That reason alone is why I think the watch has gotten so popular.
Entry level?
I could have bought an entry level TT or diamond bezeled whatever.
Sorry but no Rolex is entry level.
Old 26 August 2008, 06:02 AM   #173
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
It's my least favorite Rolex, no doubt. It's that Bezel... ugh

I've seen them with the bezel removed and it's actually a beut, but not with it IMO. Funny thing is I saw a guy eyeing my Bluesy today when I was at the tire shop and then I saw he was sporting a Expy2. It looked a lot better in the wild on a wrist to my surprise.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 06:41 AM   #174
rmcarlton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I never gave the Explorer II much thought, until seeing a black face on a NATO band. I love the look and it doesn't draw attention. I just might be in the market for a used one. This website is causing major problems with my bank account.
rmcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 06:48 AM   #175
Timber Loftis
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,DJII,P244,A1-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
Timing billable hours... never taught of that.

Do you round the hours up or down :)
Um, not to intrude on this very lovely Explorer thread, but on the older style GMTII there are exactly 10 clicks between each hour marker, so you can actually count up your time by 6 minute increments. And yes I use it for this.

I love my black face explorer, and my only regret is that I can't push a button and switch between white and black.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 09:50 AM   #176
chopperboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Baby!!
Tools,

I honestly think there is a LARGE amount of hands on working folks that wear Rolex’s regularly. I for one live and work on a 9,000 acre cattle ranch. I wear my Explorer II or SS GMT IIc all the time, while I’m doing tractor work, working cows, fixing fences, Riding horses, roping calves ect……and all the other non-stop hands on work all day long.

When the weekends hit, and I’m caught up on ranch work (Which is hardly ever), off to the marina, and out on the boat off-shore fishing. And once again, one of the Rolex’s is attached to my arm, and being punished through the saltwater and outdoor environment of Florida!

I honestly think there more outdoor people wearing their Rolex watches than computer savvy folks.

Matt
Old 26 August 2008, 06:42 PM   #177
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
I wish Rolex would allow the customer to switch from a black dial to a white dial or from a white dial to a black dial. Sometimes I think I prefer one, then I think I prefer the other. I don't know why Rolex does this, other than it is Rolex being Rolex.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 07:40 PM   #178
akhamdani
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date 16610
I agree with u Art161.It was difficult for me to choose the white or black dial.sometimes i prefer one,other times the other.I ended to buy the black one just because the dealer has a black one at that time.may be i will change it to white next service,may be.
akhamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2008, 08:53 PM   #179
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Wow this is on old thread.

I think it's simple...The GMT and Sub are not only Rolex icons...they have become popular culture icons whereas the Expy and ExpyII have not really found their foothold in lay people's minds.

I have to be honest, I think the Expy II's fixed SS bezel isn't as maybe aesthetically pleasing as your traditional bezel insert etc but it's still a nice looking watch and a real hardwearing one!!!!!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2008, 01:00 AM   #180
Dylan Wade

Watch: EXP II
Happy to see this back on the board.........long live this thread and of course that means the EXP II.

I am currently in Taiwan wearing my EXP II this week after a week prior in SGP wearing the Sub Date. I can't put my finger on why..........: but I just prefer the whole experience of wearing the EXP II with a cuff linked shirt (Usually white or combination of dark stripes on white).

I'm kind of now stuck on EXP from Mon-Thu and Sub from Fri to Sun (Fri = casual office day)........it all just feels and goes better that way.

Who’s with me on this one?

Everyone else must think I'm nuts and hey your probably right.........but at least I'm a contented nut for now:
Dylan Wade is offline   Reply With Quote