The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2018, 05:37 AM   #1
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea Dial Variations

Does anyone know when each Deep Sea dial variation was released? Thanks!
SSGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
That's a loaded question. Did you use the search function by any chance.
The dials are spread out from 2008 Mk1 to 2012(circa) Mk3 and then of course the D-Blue in 2014.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 05:58 AM   #3
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Hi, I tried to search and found a great post on the dial variances, I just haven’t run across any date ranges for the different dials. I had known that the Mk I dial started with the first Deep Sea, but just learned from your post that the Mk II dial was introduced around 2012. My next question would be when Rolex made the change to the Mk III dial. Thanks!
Old 12 September 2018, 06:25 AM   #4
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Let me help you.

I have a MK II which i purchased new in October 2011. I think the dial variation had been out for a little while prior to this date. From memory it was made for about 18 months(rough guess).

We all know the MK I was introduced at Baselworld in 2008.
And the MK III was effectively discontinued at Baselworld 2018.

If i recall correctly, the D-blue was introduced around the release of the movie.
More precisely i think it was the 4th of August 2014.
And it's the only Rolex watch that has been released outside of Baselworld.
I took delivery of my D-blue in March 2015.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:34 AM   #5
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Let me help you.

I have a MK II which i purchased new in October 2011. I think the dial variation had been out for a little while prior to this date. From memory it was made for about 18 months(rough guess).

We all know the MK I was introduced at Baselworld in 2008.
And the MK III was effectively discontinued at Baselworld 2018.

If i recall correctly, the D-blue was introduced around the release of the movie.
More precisely i think it was the 4th of August 2014.
And it's the only Rolex watch that has been released outside of Baselworld.
I took delivery of my D-blue in March 2015.
Thanks, this information is helpful! It seems like a fairly short run for MK II dials. I just purchased a Deep Sea from Cloudchaser, dated August 2018 and it is a Mk II dial (which is my favorite of the three). If I am calculating the dates correctly, 18 months or so from late 2011, takes the Mk II run through roughly mid 2013 or so?

Last edited by SSGMT; 12 September 2018 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Update my post
Old 12 September 2018, 06:39 AM   #6
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
Hi, I tried to search and found a great post on the dial variances, I just haven’t run across any date ranges for the different dials. I had known that the Mk I dial started with the first Deep Sea, but just learned from your post that the Mk II dial was introduced around 2012. My next question would be when Rolex made the change to the Mk III dial. Thanks!
can you list the differences for each of 3?
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 06:50 AM   #7
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenfried29 View Post
can you list the differences for each of 3?
Here is a link to one of the posts from TRF covering the differences between the dials:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=252048
Old 12 September 2018, 07:57 AM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGMT View Post
Thanks, this information is helpful! It seems like a fairly short run for MK II dials. I just purchased a Deep Sea from Cloudchaser, dated August 2018 and it is a Mk II dial (which is my favorite of the three). If I am calculating the dates correctly, 18 months or so from late 2011, takes the Mk II run through roughly mid 2013 or so?
Mkll is also my favorite variation and probably the shortest run of the three. If you bought it brand new (old stock) with stickers on, it is quite possibly a watch that is manufactured from at least five years ago, but possibly more. If it is a G-serial that could help you narrow it down because Random serial numbers started around 2010/11, but G serial Deepseas were still flowing from Rolex well into 2012 maybe even 2013 as they cleared out the G serial case stamps.

In the end you will only have an approximation and with Random serials, all we can go on now really is when the watch was sold brand new from an AD, or when the the warranty card was named and activated.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2018, 08:09 AM   #9
SSGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Mkll is also my favorite variation and probably the shortest run of the three. If you bought it brand new (old stock) with stickers on, it is quite possibly a watch that is manufactured from at least five years ago, but possibly more. If it is a G-serial that could help you narrow it down because Random serial numbers started around 2010/11, but G serial Deepseas were still flowing from Rolex well into 2012 maybe even 2013 as they cleared out the G serial case stamps.

In the end you will only have an approximation and with Random serials, all we can go on now really is when the watch was sold brand new from an AD, or when the the warranty card was named and activated.
Thank you for this information! From what I understand, it was a NOS watch with stickers when purchased in late August of this year (a few are still on the watch). I agree, I am thinking that it was produced approximately 5 years ago or so, possibly in early to mid 2013 (as it has a random serial number). I have already learned a lot from this thread, I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge!