The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2018, 04:44 AM   #1
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Baby boomers vs Millennials

In a Mustang Club meeting....the youngest is 54 ....oldest is 73....the big diff between the two. The reason was trying to find out why no members were young...and how to get some fresh faces in.

My contribution was "they dont like cars" or could care less about high HP gas guzzling auto.....they prefer elec or hybrids.

The Humor to me is strange....I can watch something that is made for them....never crack a smile.

They hate food chains.....like olive garden....was another

Hate malls

Music taste another.

The tat stuff...ive never figured that out myself....i have none.....but if you think they look good go for it ....

They dress strange ....to us.

In closing the meeting i pointed out it was pretty hopeless ....im sure they are some 25-35 that like cars....but they are far and few. One of members son who is 29 I think raised his hand and said " You guys are forgetting one thing....we have no money....if somebody wants to give me or buy me a Mustang I will be your friend the rest of your life....but the biggest reason is cost and then ins...its not worth it for a car that cost 700+ a month. Then his next question was how many paid cash for the cars....about 75% raised there hand....you guys have money to throw away and we dont that is the biggest factor.
Now i feel bad that Im one person that owns three cars......thinking to buy another so 4 I have cars to drive.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:49 AM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
In a Mustang Club meeting....the youngest is 54 ....oldest is 73....the big diff between the two. The reason was trying to find out why no members were young...and how to get some fresh faces in.

My contribution was "they dont like cars" or could care less about high HP gas guzzling auto.....they prefer elec or hybrids.

The Humor to me is strange....I can watch something that is made for them....never crack a smile.

Hate malls

Music taste another.

The tat stuff...ive never figured that out myself....i have none.....but if you think they look good go for it ....

In closing the meeting i pointed out it was pretty hopeless ....im sure they are some 25-35 that like cars....but they are far and few. One of members son who is 29 I think raised his hand and said " You guys are forgetting one thing....we have no money....if somebody wants to give me or buy me a Mustang I will be your friend the rest of your life....but the biggest reason is cost and then ins...its not worth it for a car that cost 700+ a month. Then his next question was how many paid cash for the cars....about 75% raised there hand....you guys have money to throw away and we dont that is the biggest factor.
Now i feel bad that Im one person that owns three cars......thinking to buy another so 4 I have cars to drive.
I think you may have missed another diffrence. I think more of them will never have that money than previous generations.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 04:57 AM   #3
Keadog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I think you may have missed another diffrence. I think more of them will never have that money than previous generations.
This is an important point, and not just for car clubs. If you consider massive college debt (even with a job good enough to make the payments), the cost of housing and the inability for many young people in the "desirable" areas (ie, unaffordable for most people, regardless of age) to ever own, this generation may never dig out of the hole they have collectively put themselves in.
And, many young people I know just don't care about cars at all. My son grew up with a Porsche of some sort in the garage from the time he was 5. He didn't even feel the urge to learn to drive a manual so he could drive them. He's had two A6 Audis and his dream is sitting in the back seat playing video games or doing work on the way to his (good) job.
I don't get tats either. At all.
Keadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:20 AM   #4
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Because they've been fed entitlement and debt as they grew up. They don't have cars, but they have an iPhone and a smart watch. They probably have a few digital subscriptions too. I'm 35. And even back when I was 20-25 and an E3/E4 in the Navy, people thought I "had money" because my car looked nice. Little did they know my 10 year old Camaro cost me $4000 cash and my next car, a 1998 Cadillac STS, I scored for a song and was immaculate. New that car was $53K. I think I got it for $12k? Meanwhile, they're paying $400 or so a month on the bottom of the barrel Altima/Accord/etc. Again, thinking that I am somehow loaded. These are also the same people that had a house and two cars while I had the old car and living with room mates.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 05:22 AM   #5
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Tough one a figure out Greg. I’ve had my GT for almost 2 years. My 21 year old son has never driven it, I’ve offered but he doesn’t know how to drive a manual trans nor cares to learn. Now his ‘05 Forerunner that’s a different story.
Old 5 December 2018, 05:39 AM   #6
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
I'd happy to buy a Mustang but all I can afford - Rolex(
Old 5 December 2018, 06:07 AM   #7
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I'm a older millennial and my friends and I are into classic and modern cars including on and offroad race cars.

The younger millennials (sub 30) in my office seem to love cars as well but they see them as unattainable because they focus too much on immediate gratification. They claim they are broke making $80-$100k+ per year but drink $25+ bottles of wine, $5 cans of cut water and eat out and pretty nice restaurants everyday.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:15 AM   #8
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I'm a older millennial and my friends and I are into classic and modern cars including on and offroad race cars.

The younger millennials (sub 30) in my office seem to love cars as well but they see them as unattainable because they focus too much on immediate gratification. They claim they are broke making $80-$100k+ per year but drink $25+ bottles of wine, $5 cans of cut water and eat out and pretty nice restaurants everyday.
BROKE?? WOW! That's nuts.
Old 5 December 2018, 06:16 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Ahh, the good old generalisation of an entire generation. Ignorant and unsuited for this forum IMO.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:21 AM   #10
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Keep it down and get off my lawn
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:21 AM   #11
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I just bought my first car for 8 years. Got to say it’s nice to be back driving the same vehicle again each day instead of churning through rentals.

Although I’m sure I will miss the variety sooner or later.

I do think it’s a shame when people learn exclusively on an automatic gearbox. It’s my preference now, but having the ability to switch between the two is a skill good motorists should have.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:31 AM   #12
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Uber...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 06:46 AM   #13
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
BROKE?? WOW! That's nuts.
They do live in SoCal so rent is pretty expensive but they also choose to rent in Encinitas very close to the ocean. Guess more to the immediate gratification like they deserve to be able to live on the coast.

Actually overhead a few of them talking today that they will never be able to afford a house. Yes real estate is expensive here but there are less expensive options inland. They would rather have a lifestyle now than save for later.
Old 5 December 2018, 07:17 AM   #14
Cru Jones

Probably because sports cars generally tend to be for an older crowd (more “fun” money/kids flew the coop) and Mustangs specifically are more for the retro/Steve McQueen set? Don’t take that the wrong way, I like a lot of Mustangs! But I’m a little younger and need more seats and space for the kids. ;-)

I really don’t think this a “millennial” thing....
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 07:17 AM   #15
austinp
"TRF" Member

The millennials I'm in contact with regularly are all doing very well. Advancing in their careers buying starter homes and planning to start a family. They dont have student debt. Some had parents pay for college others paid their way while working. All colleges are not overly expensive. Florida non private colleges are within reach for any responsible person.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #16
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
I'm in my late 30's and don't consider myself a millennial. I've always loved cars, it's something my father instilled in me as he was a collector. I learned how to drive stick on an 80's Testarossa, beast of a clutch. And while I still appreciate nice cars today it's not that important to me anymore, my wife and I each drive Toyotas. I'd rather pay down my house and save than drive an expensive car or collect cars. But I'm probably not the age group you're referencing.

One thing to consider, before the age of computers and smartphones getting your drivers license and first car meant true freedom. It was a way to experience things and explore with your friends. Now there is so much brain stimulation at the palm of your hand it's easy to see what kids today don't want to leave their house.
Old 5 December 2018, 07:26 AM   #17
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
I'm in my late 30's and don't consider myself a millennial. I've always loved cars, it's something my father instilled in me as he was a collector. I learned how to drive stick on an 80's Testarossa, beast of a clutch. And while I still appreciate nice cars today it's not that important to me anymore, my wife and I each drive Toyotas. I'd rather pay down my house and save than drive an expensive car or collect cars. But I'm probably not the age group you're referencing.

One thing to consider, before the age of computers and smartphones getting your drivers license and first car meant true freedom. It was a way to experience things and explore with your friends. Now there is so much brain stimulation at the palm of your hand it's easy to see what kids today don't want to leave their house.

I think your age and mine(35) is the fringe of it. I know many my age that are full on typical "millennial." I can't stand it.
Old 5 December 2018, 07:48 AM   #18
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I think your age and mine(35) is the fringe of it. I know many my age that are full on typical "millennial." I can't stand it.
same here. 36 and dont lump myself in with with the typical millennial stereotype. However, I have two younger brothers, 28 and 25 and they both are your typical millennials. Both still live at our mom's house, "going to school" and heavily focused on electronics/video games. They are both amazing people but dont see them wanting to sacrifice/put in the really hard work for the long term.
Old 5 December 2018, 08:10 AM   #19
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I'm 35, and I while I see a bit of generalization going on with the OP's original post, I think there is some truth to it, in a sense. A lot of Millennials do have the means, but choose to do other things with their money. One thing I've read (and to some degree understand and agree with) is that they prefer "experiences" over "things". Add to it the fact that we see a significant shift in younger generations leaving their small-towns for bigger cities (hubs of millennialism?), it might make sense that they may not have the money for cars. Compound that with the overwhelming support of environmentalism and its efforts, it is not a compelling idea to go out and buy a nice, souped-up, fast, gas-guzzling car.

I grew up in love with my neighbor's 1968 Mustang GT fastback, black with black interior... I could hear it rumble out of the garage and pull in/out of their driveway next door. I couldn't afford that car now, even though we live comfortably and have zero debt (except mortgage on a nice, but understated, house).

But I'm with the OP, as well: I don't fully understand the tattoo thing, either. Especially on the face. Maybe it's the military side of me....
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:15 AM   #20
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
I thought most Millennials spent their money on eating out 6 nights a week, the latest iPhones/Androids/game consoles, numerous subscriptions to streaming movie/TV/Music entertainment channels, full-sleeve/neck/leg tats, Instagram-worthy holidays abroad showing how worldly they are, deconstructed coffee, and designer weed.

With all the above financial burdens and oppressive constraints on leisure time it's no wonder our poor kids struggle and can't afford things like modest home mortgage or student loan payments, let alone a car. In times past, I'm sure everyone remembers how upon graduation employers came beating down the door offering high-paying jobs in one's choice of career, "budgeting" wasn't something to be concerned about let alone lived so naturally immediately ran out to acquire all the life essentials such as the latest/coolest sh!t anyone had to offer, and promptly rewarded themselves by purchasing airline tickets for a Bali or Roman holiday spent eating and drinking and posing atop cliffs or photographing one's own toes in the sand with an ocean and palm tree in the background. Cars and insurance were super-easy to afford and of course one needed at least a couple to fill the garage of the 4 or 5 bedroom starter homes everyone practically waltzed into owning.

I know when I travel the world and observe how most other people work/eat/live from cradle to grave it pains me to think how tough the plight of American youth is. I mean, in the last 30 years there's been 1 housing crash 10 years ago...OMG!
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:28 AM   #21
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post

Hate malls

Music taste another.

I’m 33, my first car in HS was a 2001/2 mustang GT, loved it. Since then I’ve basically only had Tahoe’s, E classes, and one 5 series.
I do hate malls and fast food, save the three times a year I go to shake shake or five guys.
No tats.
I dress like I’m going to a country club most of the time.
Old 5 December 2018, 08:38 AM   #22
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Im a millennial but I like to to old people stuff
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:45 AM   #23
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Im not trying to step on anybody foot here....my car club was trying to find a way to get younger gen into joining etc. The above was some of what they observe ....most have kids that are in that age group.....i never had kids. One comment about getting his 29 year old to leave the house without calling the local police got a laugh etc.
Another member said make the mustang look like an apple phone and you would a million members over night.
Just as my parents saw me as lazy because we didn't grow up in the great depression ..and my father said we had it so damn easy etc.
One huge diff is the college tuition but everybody knows it. I thought 5 dollars an hour was high back when i was in school....Today...I would be a AC repair and refuse to pay that much...besides everybody these days has some B.S. degree in something it just does not have as much weight as it did in 1980.
We still cant get any younger members...and when we die off the car clubs will go with it.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 08:47 AM   #24
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
I'm a Millenial (I guess) who doesn't like smart watches and a bunch of other crap people my age like. At the same time, I wear suits when most wear sweats. To each his own

Though I am amazed on a monthly basis how much I spend in bars etc.
Old 5 December 2018, 11:56 AM   #25
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Can’t paint with such a wide brush. Same can be said about every generation.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:35 PM   #26
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I'm a millennial and I love cars, but not so much American muscle. I feel as though that is a common sentiment in my circle/age group.

When I'm retired and back into a social automobile club/culture. I'm sure some kids won't like my pride and joy.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:50 PM   #27
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Im 27, so I am the age pretty much everyone thinks of when you say millennial.

I did not take the well traveled path. I joined the Army, knowing full well I didn't have the drive for college. Did four years and got out, went to tech school to work on aircraft, then got a great job at a company I will probably retire from. My wife and I are very committed to excelling in our careers, and putting away as much as possible into retirement.

I do not have any friends my own age, all are at least 10 years older. I find people my own age act like the world has been out to get them, and that they can't change their lot in life.

Life is not easy, but a good attitude and willingness to learn something new goes a long way. I just wish more people would leave their comfort zone and try something different. Just because you went to school for one thing does not mean you won't be incredible at something else.

I love many types of cars, and have a very soft spot for old V8's, I also love watches, and blacksmithing. I am not the norm by any means, hence hanging out on this forum.

I know that is a bit long winded, but I wanted to throw my two cents in even if from a millennial

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 02:50 PM   #28
singe89
"TRF" Member

Just because this thread started with a mustang car club. Sean Penn’s GT500KR purchased by Madonna as a wedding gift. Been my father in laws weekend driver. Took it for a spin on thanksgiving and this millenneal wants it!

Old 5 December 2018, 02:53 PM   #29
pyrostick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Just because this thread started with a mustang car club. Sean Penn’s GT500KR purchased by Madonna as a wedding gift. Been my father in laws weekend driver. Took it for a spin on thanksgiving and this mellinneal wants it!

What an absolutely beautiful car!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
pyrostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 03:20 PM   #30
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Don't forget Gen X here... We were after Baby Boomers and before Millennials.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote