The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > The Meeting Point

Old 9 October 2011, 07:37 AM   #1
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
2012, f1 Austin, let's grab a beer?

Ok, the race is next Nov. Assuming I am still in the area, I say us TRFr's get together at the Four Seasons Austin before (or after) the race. For those who need suggestions on Austin, aka LMCW (Live Music Capitol of the World), feel free to msg me.

Lookin' fwd to seeing you guys (gals) next year.

-Respect
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2011, 09:42 AM   #2
cjnesher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I'm in! Got the dvr set for the race on speed tomorrow am. can't wait to see that track in Austin!
Old 24 November 2011, 09:53 AM   #3
lavaman
Banned

Stop work is now in place. God help us (Sorry Admin.. forgot to post this thread here...)
Old 22 December 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 3570.50
I'm in. I'm moving to Dallas this winter and should be making my first TX road trip from Dallas to Austin for the race.

Rest assured, btw. The race is back on.

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2011...gp_round_.html
bassplayrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2011, 07:13 AM   #5
lavaman
Banned

yea I saw that. Got a little cagey, esp since its The Whippet
Old 31 December 2011, 03:07 PM   #6
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

So where's everyone staying for this event? Are you guys going for the whole weekend, or just the race? Any not-to-be-missed events, parties, etc. in the Austin area that weekend?
Old 22 January 2012, 04:00 AM   #7
lavaman
Banned

Latest skinny I got last week was that hotels are being blocked out (they are NOT full, but the hotel cartel has agreed NOT to release the block until closer to race date). anyway talked to 4 Seasons Austin (official hotel) and also put myself on wait list for Stephen F Austin (Intercontinental) and Omni. Anyway, the entire weekend is blocked out in Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos, all along 35 corridor, and into surrounding areas. Scuttle I am hearing is that Austin/SA area is NOT ready for this event, capacity wise.

I plan to be in Austin for Qualify and Race. I have told all my krewes that rally point is 4 Seasons, but really, it's gonna be GONZO that weekend, and several hotel persons I have spoken to have candidly told me that they plan to dramatically raise their rates that weekend. I expect the usual haunts (Warehouse district, SoCo, 6th St, the new East Austin district) will jack rates accordingly. It should be nuts deluxe

as a fan of techno music (well, all kinds of music) I would love if they did an "Amber Lounge Austin"
Old 26 January 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
bassplayrr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
Latest skinny I got last week was that hotels are being blocked out (they are NOT full, but the hotel cartel has agreed NOT to release the block until closer to race date). anyway talked to 4 Seasons Austin (official hotel) and also put myself on wait list for Stephen F Austin (Intercontinental) and Omni. Anyway, the entire weekend is blocked out in Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos, all along 35 corridor, and into surrounding areas. Scuttle I am hearing is that Austin/SA area is NOT ready for this event, capacity wise.

I plan to be in Austin for Qualify and Race. I have told all my krewes that rally point is 4 Seasons, but really, it's gonna be GONZO that weekend, and several hotel persons I have spoken to have candidly told me that they plan to dramatically raise their rates that weekend. I expect the usual haunts (Warehouse district, SoCo, 6th St, the new East Austin district) will jack rates accordingly. It should be nuts deluxe

as a fan of techno music (well, all kinds of music) I would love if they did an "Amber Lounge Austin"
Thanks for the reply. Yikes. As I'm entirely unfamiliar with Austin I may have to get in contact with you via PM with regards to places to stay. Once i've completed my move (next week) I hope to start more seriously planning my trip for the race. It went from pie in the sky to just months away in a snap.
Old 26 January 2012, 06:24 AM   #9
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
I can't wait to see the track! F1 is fantastic! It's about time they went back to the US!
Old 26 January 2012, 07:42 AM   #10
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Anyway, the entire weekend is blocked out in Austin, San Antonio, San Marcos, all along 35 corridor, and into surrounding areas. Scuttle I am hearing is that Austin/SA area is NOT ready for this event, capacity wise.
I would disagree. Austin may not be able to handle it, but the corridor can - especially as you get closer to SA.

What the race will NOT be able to handle is getting people to and from the track. I guarantee it will be just like TMS was the first 2 years. Cops standing outside their cruisers on every road intersection for miles around, watching the traffic crawl in and out, doing absolutely nothing to help. It will take that many years for someone like Eddie Gossage to get Austin PD and Travis County Sheriff to understand they must set up 3 lanes in and one lane out before the race, and vise-versa afterward, on all major routes approaching the track. This is not a UT football game. There will be 2-3x the number of people over the entire weekend.

Your best bet is either a helicopter, or a private bus.

I went to the San Marino GP some years ago. We hopped the commuter train in Bologna, and walked to and from the track from the rail station at Imola. Austin's choo-choo doesn't go there.
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
lavaman
Banned

Bump. Looking fwd to meeting some of you. Feel free to PM me about Austin. I lived there from 93 to 05 and now live about 45 mins away. (Lived in SA from 06-09)
Old 26 May 2012, 10:37 PM   #12
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Bump. Looking fwd to meeting some of you. Feel free to PM me about Austin. I lived there from 93 to 05 and now live about 45 mins away. (Lived in SA from 06-09)
Looks like it isn't going to take place until 2013.
Old 29 October 2012, 12:23 AM   #13
lavaman
Banned

Bump......3 weeks guys
Old 16 November 2012, 11:39 AM   #14
lavaman
Banned

one last bump!