The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 28 May 2021, 10:05 AM   #31
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
I’m visiting my AD next week to discuss this. It was sent to Japan to fix the issue first time round, and now the exact same issue has reappeared :(
Wow, sorry to hear. Let us know how the discussion goes.
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 09:47 PM   #32
Golden Ellipse
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 231 and a 235 and neither have this. Although — I have not gone hunting for imperfections with a loupe.
Golden Ellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2021, 11:24 PM   #33
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Ellipse View Post
I have a 231 and a 235 and neither have this. Although — I have not gone hunting for imperfections with a loupe.
Bubbles are visible without loupe
london_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 01:42 AM   #34
doink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
Wow, sorry to hear. Let us know how the discussion goes.
Yes its a pity that this issue seems common and random! Pls keep us informed!
Thanks
doink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 01:13 AM   #35
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Bubbles are visible without loupe
Do you mean your SBGW 231 came back from GS Japan with clear crystal, then over time a new bubble developed around the 10 o'clock marker ? If that is the case, then who knows how many bubbles may develop over time !
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 03:48 AM   #36
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandrew6l View Post
Do you mean your SBGW 231 came back from GS Japan with clear crystal, then over time a new bubble developed around the 10 o'clock marker ? If that is the case, then who knows how many bubbles may develop over time !
Correct. I’m visiting my AD next week.
Old 31 May 2021, 11:37 PM   #37
doink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct. I’m visiting my AD next week.
How long did it take to get your watch back? Assuming you had to send it back to Japan from London (?) to get the bubbles fixed the first time?
Old 31 May 2021, 11:47 PM   #38
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink View Post
How long did it take to get your watch back? Assuming you had to send it back to Japan from London (?) to get the bubbles fixed the first time?
3 months. Correct it was sent to Japan from London.
Old 1 June 2021, 11:49 PM   #39
doink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
3 months. Correct it was sent to Japan from London.
Ouch that is a long time to wait and to have the same issue again...do keep us updated how it goes with the AD!!

Thanks
Old 3 June 2021, 01:44 AM   #40
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch being sent to Japan for the second time. I was told the imperfections are actually glue, not air bubbles. Either way, the AD has requested the watch is inspected again, and asked the factory to hold on to it for a while to ensure the imperfections don’t reappear.
Old 4 June 2021, 12:29 PM   #41
doink
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch being sent to Japan for the second time. I was told the imperfections are actually glue, not air bubbles. Either way, the AD has requested the watch is inspected again, and asked the factory to hold on to it for a while to ensure the imperfections don’t reappear.

oh...man that sucks.... they should replace it with a new one! Is it still under warranty?

I had a look on IG and other pics, looks like alot of them have the imperfections even from straight up dial shots
Old 4 June 2021, 11:12 PM   #42
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

How many references from the Elegance Collection use the same (or very similar) crystal? Anyone experienced a similar issue with a different reference? This is concerning...
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 11:23 PM   #43
pandrew6l

Quote:
Wow, GLUE under the crystal after a GS factory repair ? This issue is getting more interesting, did the AD give you more details as how the glue got there ?
Old 6 June 2021, 12:32 AM   #44
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Are you absolutely positive that it went back to Japan? I've had an AD send one of my watches (not GS) under factory warranty to a local watchmaker for repair. I was none too pleased, especially since I was not made aware...until they told me the local guy couldn't fix it.
Anyway, if it did go back to Japan and a problem still exists, somebody's gonna lose a pinky finger.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2021, 09:43 PM   #45
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Telling someone not to loupe a grand seiko is like telling someone not to swim with a sub or eat a sandwich lol

Hope they sort it out. Would bother me too.
Old 6 June 2021, 09:53 PM   #46
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, GLUE under the crystal after a GS factory repair ? This issue is getting more interesting, did the AD give you more details as how the glue got there ?
They didn’t know unfortunately. They’ll find out more once it’s been inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Are you absolutely positive that it went back to Japan? I've had an AD send one of my watches (not GS) under factory warranty to a local watchmaker for repair. I was none too pleased, especially since I was not made aware...until they told me the local guy couldn't fix it.
Anyway, if it did go back to Japan and a problem still exists, somebody's gonna lose a pinky finger.
It sure did. I have a really good relationship with my AD who’s been great and transparent throughout. Watch should be arriving in Japan next week - will keep you guys posted once I hear back :)
Old 6 June 2021, 10:15 PM   #47
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doink View Post
oh...man that sucks.... they should replace it with a new one! Is it still under warranty?

I had a look on IG and other pics, looks like alot of them have the imperfections even from straight up dial shots
Yep it’s only a year old! If it doesn’t get fixed second time round then I’m sure we can come to some sort of arrangement. Thing is, this watch was gifted to me by my wife on my wedding day, so it has incredible sentimental value.
Old 6 June 2021, 11:20 PM   #48
pandrew6l

Quote:
They didn’t know unfortunately. They’ll find out more once it’s been inspected.

It sure did. I have a really good relationship with my AD who’s been great and transparent throughout. Watch should be arriving in Japan next week - will keep you guys posted once I hear back :)
Thank you for keeping us inform on the development. I was ready to pull the trigger last week on a SBGW 231 here, but unfortunately, the sample has crystal bubbles. Now, I am waiting to see how this issue get resolved before proceeding.
Old 5 August 2021, 12:35 AM   #49
london_v
"TRF" Member

So an update from my side. I collected my watch from GS earlier today. Unfortunately upon inspection (without a loupe) the bubbles are still there, but they now appear at 12’o clock! The AD said the glass had been removed and reattached with new glue and it was fully inspected by the head watchmaker in Japan and it passed their tolerance levels, including their ‘30cm away’ visual test.

Japan have said if they receive the watch again they will send it back as from their side, it’s within tolerance.

This is incredibly disappointing from GS (my AD has been amazing throughout this process, it’s Japan who can’t seem to recognise / fix the issue). I don’t want to send it back and play ping pong again, so I’ve taken the watch home and will try again when I send it away for my free service in 5 years time. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the watch.

My AD very kindly offered a BOR bracelet which is on the watch currently, which I must say looks lovely.
Old 5 August 2021, 12:50 AM   #50
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So an update from my side. I collected my watch from GS earlier today. Unfortunately upon inspection (without a loupe) the bubbles are still there, but they now appear at 12’o clock! The AD said the glass had been removed and reattached with new glue and it was fully inspected by the head watchmaker in Japan and it passed their tolerance levels, including their ‘30cm away’ visual test.

Japan have said if they receive the watch again they will send it back as from their side, it’s within tolerance.

This is incredibly disappointing from GS (my AD has been amazing throughout this process, it’s Japan who can’t seem to recognise / fix the issue). I don’t want to send it back and play ping pong again, so I’ve taken the watch home and will try again when I send it away for my free service in 5 years time. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy the watch.

My AD very kindly offered a BOR bracelet which is on the watch currently, which I must say looks lovely.
No return possible? Or a different one?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 12:51 AM   #51
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
No return possible? Or a different one?
I’ll give it a week and then respond to my AD. I was hesitant to suggest this given the sentimental value of the watch, but if I can’t get over the bubbles (which I suspect will be the case) then I’ll have a chat with my AD
Old 5 August 2021, 12:30 PM   #52
pandrew6l

Quote:

Thank you for the update , but I am not going to buy a SBGW 231. When GS said " it is with in tolerance " , it means at GS cant fix it. Japan is going down up !!
Old 5 August 2021, 05:15 PM   #53
london_v
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the update , but I am not going to buy a SBGW 231. When GS said " it is with in tolerance " , it means at GS cant fix it. Japan is going down up !!
I don’t blame you. This has really put me off the brand, especially when their USP is all about the finishing.
Old 6 August 2021, 11:18 AM   #54
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t blame you. This has really put me off the brand, especially when their USP is all about the finishing.
Agreed - me too. It annoys me to the point that I'm just not wearing the watch.

GS has been one of my favourite brands, but can't say I'll be purchasing anything else from them if this is their level of QC and service.

Disappointing.
Old 24 August 2021, 06:55 AM   #55
rexet
"TRF" Member

Damn. I was doing my last researches about this watch before pulling the trigger and I just found this scary thread! This was would be my first step in the GS club after having heard so many time how close to perfect these watches are…

Not sure I’m willing to try now. That unfortunate, this watch is so lovely. Are we sure this issue is not affecting all GS?
rexet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 10:41 AM   #56
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I am empathetic toward the OP and their situation, but it's serious conjecture to conclude this applies to all SBGW231's.

I am an owner. It has no defects and I've been over it with a loupe before after reading this thread. Nothing. It's a terrific timepiece and there are thousands of other owners out there. These things happen with any product. Don't let an isolated incident dissuade you from buying a watch you like.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 11:18 AM   #57
skp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
I am empathetic toward the OP and their situation, but it's serious conjecture to conclude this applies to all SBGW231's.

I am an owner. It has no defects and I've been over it with a loupe before after reading this thread. Nothing. It's a terrific timepiece and there are thousands of other owners out there. These things happen with any product. Don't let an isolated incident dissuade you from buying a watch you like.
I was about to pull the trigger on a GS this week. To me, the dissuasion isn't the fact that x number out of 1000s of units have an issue. The turn off is that GS won't fix it claiming that it's within tolerances.
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 04:39 PM   #58
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp View Post
I was about to pull the trigger on a GS this week. To me, the dissuasion isn't the fact that x number out of 1000s of units have an issue. The turn off is that GS won't fix it claiming that it's within tolerances.
Yep - not the type of service you'd expect from a luxury brand. Especially one that markets itself based on attention to detail.
Old 24 August 2021, 10:07 PM   #59
london_v
"TRF" Member

Update from my side.

Having slept on it, I wasn’t happy with the outcome. I spoke with my AD who kindly escalated the issue to the MD of GS.

As an outcome, they’ve offered to take my watch back and issue a credit voucher to use on any other GS reference. The voucher is £900 less than what I paid for the watch and their reasoning is they need to send the watch back to Japan to get it in a resaleable condition. I don’t understand why this cost is passed down to me when its their watch that's defective.

Anyhow, that’s the outcome and I’m heading in to speak with my AD later this week. Not sure how I feel about this, it’s a sad situation and the watch has remained in the drawer as I can’t unsee the bubbles (which have now appeared in more places)!

If I do accept the offer, I don’t know what to replace the 231 with as the dress option to my Explorer 124270. I do love the quartz version of the 231 (SBGX319) but not sure if my AD can source. Maybe that + a Seiko Diver? Who knows, for now I’m done thinking about GS.
Old 24 August 2021, 10:20 PM   #60
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update from my side.

Having slept on it, I wasn’t happy with the outcome. I spoke with my AD who kindly escalated the issue to the MD of GS.

As an outcome, they’ve offered to take my watch back and issue a credit voucher to use on any other GS reference. The voucher is £900 less than what I paid for the watch and their reasoning is they need to send the watch back to Japan to get it in a resaleable condition. I don’t understand why they feel they can pass this cost on to me when it’s their watch that’s defective.

Anyhow, that’s the outcome and I’m heading in to speak with my AD later this week. Not sure how I feel about this, it’s a sad situation and the watch has remained in my cupboard as I can’t unsee the bubbles which have now appeared in more places!

If I do accept the offer, I don’t know what to replace the 231 with as the dress option to my Explorer 124270. I do love the quartz version of the 231 (SBGX319) but not sure if my AD can source. Maybe that + a Seiko Diver? Who knows, for now I’m done thinking about GS.
Just put pressure on them and get back the full amount. They will budge.

Do they sell other brands.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote