The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2021, 09:28 PM   #1
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Help with gift for son - where I started...

My first meaningful watch many years ago was a blue dial Seamaster 300m, and I'm thinking a similar model would make a nice grad gift for my son (although I am wondering whether I will suggest he leave it home rather than take to college...)

I was hoping for any advice before heading over to the boutique (and apologies for basic inquiries as this is my first time in this section).

Current thoughts - Seamaster, but think I should at least consider Speedmaster; option of switching between bracelet and rubber; black dial.

Also, my AD doesn't sell Omega so I'm presumably headed to a boutique I've never visited.

Thanks in advance for any advice - including which model is go with and if I should expect a discount etc.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:12 PM   #2
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
From the Omega catalogue, I would go with a speedmaster or an aqua terra (whatever dial colour you think he would prefer). When I was shopping for my first watch, it was between those 2, but eventually got a big discount on a sub (those were the days). I was leaning towards the aqua terra for the automatic movement. Some people don't appreciate winding their own watch (especially their first).

I think over time, he would appreciate the speedmaster more though, but the aqua terra is a good all around, do anything type of watch.

I don't like the SMP bracelet or the HEV, I find it looks a bit dated, especially for a young guy. However, you would know your son best!

Goodluck!
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2021, 10:49 PM   #3
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I’d wait until he graduates college, then he can wear it with a sense of accomplishment.
Old 11 June 2021, 11:29 PM   #4
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
From the Omega catalogue, I would go with a speedmaster or an aqua terra (whatever dial colour you think he would prefer). When I was shopping for my first watch, it was between those 2, but eventually got a big discount on a sub (those were the days). I was leaning towards the aqua terra for the automatic movement. Some people don't appreciate winding their own watch (especially their first).

I think over time, he would appreciate the speedmaster more though, but the aqua terra is a good all around, do anything type of watch.

I don't like the SMP bracelet or the HEV, I find it looks a bit dated, especially for a young guy. However, you would know your son best!

Goodluck!
Good advice. Looking at the aqua terra, which also seems more versatile without the rotating bezel. I can see that is a bit more youthful than the SMP. Thought about a sub, which my AD could likely get in a relatively short amount of time, but still a few thousand more and I can see that being more appropriate down the line. Thanks.
Old 11 June 2021, 11:32 PM   #5
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I'd go Seamaster Professional to match yours. Pick the dial of his favourite colour (if Omega makes one in that shade). If you can't, get the black. Those are the two popular diver colours out there.

Father and son. My dad has the black, I have the blue. It's nice.

As for not taking it to college. It depends on the son. I was a careful child/teen and didn't have a habit of loosing or breaking things. My folks trusted me with their car and other things. If you son is prone to loose things, maybe wait until he matures. If you are certain he won't damage or loose it, go for it now! What a nice thing to have at such a young age!

If you are concerned about theft, I guess it depends on the part of the world you are in. Here in Australia hardly anyone knows what an Omega is.
Old 11 June 2021, 11:37 PM   #6
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
I would go Seamaster over Aqua Terra any day. For a young guy nothing beats a good dive watch. There’s not much need for “versatility” as an 18yo boy. Always start a collection with a dive watch, if you ask me.

That being said, unless he’s extremely careful, valuables have a way of disappearing in college dorms. Either wait or prepare yourself for the fact that it might not graduate with him.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:39 AM   #7
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
I would go Seamaster over Aqua Terra any day. For a young guy nothing beats a good dive watch. There’s not much need for “versatility” as an 18yo boy. Always start a collection with a dive watch, if you ask me.

I agree with the drive watch part 100%, except maintain it should be the SMP for reasons I posted earlier.

Water proofing is a must for a lot of young lads. Speedmaster is risky - forget to take it off doing watersports and get unlucky and it could be game over and expensive repair.

Quote:
That being said, unless he’s extremely careful, valuables have a way of disappearing in college dorms. Either wait or prepare yourself for the fact that it might not graduate with him.
Don't take it off unless absolutely necessary. But yes, if you think he'll take it off and leave it unattended- maybe not such a good investment yet. Depends on the type of person your son is. I'm one of those who used to sleep with a watch on. Especially before I got married.
Old 12 June 2021, 02:45 AM   #8
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
My first meaningful watch many years ago was a blue dial Seamaster 300m, and I'm thinking a similar model would make a nice grad gift for my son (although I am wondering whether I will suggest he leave it home rather than take to college...)

I was hoping for any advice before heading over to the boutique (and apologies for basic inquiries as this is my first time in this section).

Current thoughts - Seamaster, but think I should at least consider Speedmaster; option of switching between bracelet and rubber; black dial.

Also, my AD doesn't sell Omega so I'm presumably headed to a boutique I've never visited.

Thanks in advance for any advice - including which model is go with and if I should expect a discount etc.
Seamaster. Price William still wears his that Diana gave him
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:53 AM   #9
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Here is the winner. I really think he will love it. Added the nato option. The comments really helped. The SMP did seem more youthful, particularly on rubber or nato. Good value, comfortable. Really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12 June 2021, 03:45 AM   #10
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Good choice !
I would have pick the same given your story but on blue dial.
He will love love it!
Congrats on him and for the father
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 04:07 AM   #11
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post

Goodluck!

I think the opposite it’s a young man’s watch as it’s much more relaxed and playful than Rolex equivalents. That being said I’d probably get him an additional rubber strap and present it on that.

Don’t disagree that it would make a better present when finishing a degree rather than high school but a personal choice.

Great watch for the money and a real looker imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 05:28 AM   #12
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
For a young man, active involved is sport maybe. A 300M would be my first, and most likely only choice. I'm late putting in my 2Cents.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 06:12 AM   #13
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Good choice! He should be estavtic. As to wearing to college, he should be ok to wear.

My 11 year old daughter wears my Damsco daily (way less in cost however) but she is very mature and the watch is almost scratch proof. I get a kick out of the thought that she is probably the only kid in her school with an automatic.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 12:10 PM   #14
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Great choice! That’s perfect.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 02:05 PM   #15
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
College is party time. The college community can be very unforgiving if you are drunk and passed out next to the toilet… On another note my Dad did give me a watch when I graduated and went back for a Masters. It was the watch he was wearing, and he gave it to me right off his wrist while I was bagging groceries and checking at a local supermarket. Will never sell this watch if I can avoid it. Funny thing is, he thought I had sold it a long time ago until I had it serviced and started wearing it again. Love this watch and even after 34 years or so, I still think of it as his watch. I'm going to recommend a different tact, keep the new one and give him your old one. He will appreciate it much more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5892_s.jpg (274.3 KB, 220 views)
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2021, 09:23 PM   #16
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks everyone. Here is the winner. I really think he will love it. Added the nato option. The comments really helped. The SMP did seem more youthful, particularly on rubber or nato. Good value, comfortable. Really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome! Best choice
Old 12 June 2021, 11:14 PM   #17
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Nice choice
Old 13 June 2021, 12:38 AM   #18
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Thanks. He loved it and it looks great on him. I pulled out my old blue dial SMP (early 90s), which i haven't worn in a very long time. I like the improvements with the current model. Looking forward to seeing how the nato strap looks as well. I have some other pieces that I will pass down when the time is right.
Old 13 June 2021, 01:29 PM   #19
wrx04
"TRF" Member

Great pick. Perfect watch for a college student. Sporty, high end, but still not over doing it. That watch will take all the beatings he will put it through and still be ticking when his kids go to university.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 01:36 PM   #20
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

I pray my only child, a daughter, will enjoy watches :-)
Old 13 June 2021, 09:24 PM   #21
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
I pray my only child, a daughter, will enjoy watches :-)
Old 13 June 2021, 09:39 PM   #22
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Great choice. Nice all around watch for young man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 09:49 PM   #23
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Thanks. I think he slept with it on! Probably a good sign that he wasn't kidding when he said he loved it. Out of curiosity, is there a deployment clasp option for a rubber strap available? To me that would make this watch perfect.
Old 13 June 2021, 11:22 PM   #24
bb_sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. I think he slept with it on! Probably a good sign that he wasn't kidding when he said he loved it. Out of curiosity, is there a deployment clasp option for a rubber strap available? To me that would make this watch perfect.

Yes but unfortunately you’d need to shell out for the compatible rubber strap as well (I believe). Part # below

bb_sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2021, 11:43 PM   #25
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_sub View Post
Yes but unfortunately you’d need to shell out for the compatible rubber strap as well (I believe). Part # below

Old 14 June 2021, 12:46 AM   #26
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

My 3 year old got her first real watch today. Now she needs to learn how to read time. She refused to take it off at bedtime :-)

If her liking for watches continues, she'll get an Omega too when she leaves high school.

Old 14 June 2021, 09:01 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2021, 09:25 PM   #28
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
My 3 year old got her first real watch today. Now she needs to learn how to read time. She refused to take it off at bedtime :-)

If her liking for watches continues, she'll get an Omega too when she leaves high school.

very cute. Might have to wait a bit.