The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 March 2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Rolex vs Grand Seiko

Taking into account people’s responses of “buy what you like” my question is more along the lines of is Rolex vs Grand Seiko a rivalry now or is it just most YouTube personalities and HODINKEE trying to make it into a rivalry. I am leaning towards the latter.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:26 AM   #2
greeneyedguy
Banned

Grand Seiko is a Japanese company that does things that rolex doesn't. Rolex does things that GS doesn't. If you value what the company does enough to make a purchase and you love the attributes of the time piece then you win. I think it would be awesome to go on a month long trip to Japan, do some snowboarding, visit a few cities and find the perfect Grand Seiko to round out a badass vacation.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
Grand Seiko is a Japanese company that does things that rolex doesn't. Rolex does things that GS doesn't. If you value what the company does enough to make a purchase and you love the attributes of the time piece then you win. I think it would be awesome to go on a month long trip to Japan, do some snowboarding, visit a few cities and find the perfect Grand Seiko to round out a badass vacation.
This sounds like my perfect first trip to Japan! Sign me up.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:34 AM   #4
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Doesn’t matter if Seiko’s watches movements or finishing are superior.

Most people who buy Rolex today know nothing about the above, and don’t care so none of that is going to appeal to them.

Watch aficionados are but a tiny subset of the Rolex consumer group today.

All they know is Grand Seiko has a cheap sounding ring to it and will ignore it.

Their friends will ask ‘what watch is that’ and the interest ends the moment one says it’s a Seiko.

Grand Seiko comes up with limited edition after limited edition. To what effect?

Every Rolex professional is a limited edition without even needing to be one.

No rivalry there. First GS has to drop that horrible sounding Seiko. And then maybe they have a chance after 50 years of doing everything right.

What’s in a name? In the luxury goods world, a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2021, 10:37 AM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko is marketing to enthusiasts through compensated youtube influencers.

Theo and Harris dude Christian HATED Grand Seiko...but now he “loves”them and produced a video of one their events...and will be doing more with them in time. It’s so phony that it’s a comedy at this point. Same with the other guys, shilling for GS as they make their push with the market is overflowing with money that nobody knows what to spend on.

GS is great. I have 4 of them. However, I wouldn’t buy any of them in lieu of a Rolex.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:39 AM   #6
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

GS makes quality products, and they are worthy of consideration from watch aficionados. The things they do well are truly wondrous (finishing, dial artistry, hi-beat/spring drive)...they deserve to be mentioned in the same breadth as Rolex and Omega.

At the same time, I don’t think it has escalated to the level of a rivalry with Rolex. I’m not sure that any company is a true rival to Rolex, and that’s okay. In the case of GS, it can find a place in a predominantly Rolex collection without competing.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:40 AM   #7
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Doesn’t matter if Seiko’s watches movements or finishing are superior.

Most people who buy Rolex today know nothing about the above, and don’t care so none of that is going to appeal to them.

Watch aficionados are but a tiny subset of the Rolex consumer group today.

All they know is Grand Seiko has a cheap sounding ring to it and will ignore it.

Their friends will ask ‘what watch is that’ and the interest ends the moment one says it’s a Seiko.

Grand Seiko comes up with limited edition after limited edition. To what effect?

Every Rolex professional is a limited edition without even needing to be one.

No rivalry there. First GS has to drop that horrible sounding Seiko. And then maybe they have a chance after 50 years of doing everything right.

What’s in a name? In the luxury goods world, a lot.

You’re absolutely right and I’m a Seiko fan...but the concept of a rivalry is ridiculous.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:40 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Grand Seiko was a rival to Rolex in the 1960s and 1970s, but only in Japan, because GS, and its counterpart King Seiko, were only available in Japan. But a major rival they were. Seiko, for example, came out with a quickset date about 10 years before Rolex, and a quickset Day-Date almost 20 years before Rolex. GS also used hardened stainless steel and sapphire crystals first.

GS/KS mechanical movements also caused the Swiss to shut down their chronometer competitions in the late 1960s, after losing so badly to Seiko that they could only win with (ironically) Omega's quartz movements.

You can find out all about that episode in Watch Geeks Youtube clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayUT5WfkHrA&t=16s

These days it's still a rivalry, with Rolex marketing and brand recognition arguably being the main areas where Rolex really comes out on top. That's why GS is getting so much airplay on so many YT channels. I think.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

I've tried to like GS, I respect the craftmanship but don't get the designs...
Old 9 March 2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Yes.... I'm sure that Rolex is quaking in their boots
Old 9 March 2021, 10:47 AM   #11
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
It depends if you take the word rivalry in the literal sense. If so, then I would consider them rivals just based on quality and value. But if you’re going to consider brand recognition, prestige, hype... then there is no brand that rivals Rolex at that price point in my opinion.

Old 9 March 2021, 10:51 AM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Rolex vs Grand Seiko

There’s really no point comparing the two brands as they both produce very different products. There is no rivalry. Sounds like the social media sources and influencers are just trying to draw attention towards the brand either because they are affiliated with GS or they sell them preowned. Their likely target being frustrated consumers who can’t get their hands on Rolex at MSRP.

Both are fantastic watches at their respective price points. Both have their hardcore fans with Rolex having the upper hand in general public recognition.

Watch aficionados who know what they want don’t segway into a GS if they’re looking for a Rolex and vice versa.
Old 9 March 2021, 10:52 AM   #13
oxblood
"TRF" Member

BMW vs Honda imo
Old 9 March 2021, 11:08 AM   #14
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Taking into account people’s responses of “buy what you like” my question is more along the lines of is Rolex vs Grand Seiko a rivalry now or is it just most YouTube personalities and HODINKEE trying to make it into a rivalry. I am leaning towards the latter.
You can purchase most Seiko watches anytime you would like, then lose 20%+ right afterward. Not the same with Rolex watches.
Old 9 March 2021, 11:11 AM   #15
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

How about guys start thinking for themselves, do their own research, find what watches/brands appeal to them. And be happy because one's satisfied with their watch and not do what the youtuber/forum member said?
Old 9 March 2021, 11:16 AM   #16
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
From a general population perspective, I don’t think they are rivals. There’s no competition. Rolex is the king of brand recognition. Which trumps all.

From a watch enthusiast perspective, there’s different arguments that can be made for GS as to why it is a worthy rival to Rolex.

I do think that the scarcity of rolex specialty pieces push some people to explore grand seiko for the first time. Then these people become GS enthusiasts when they find out how much value you get from GS at its price point.

(I have a GS in my collection fwiw)
Old 9 March 2021, 11:19 AM   #17
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I don’t understand how even in the making of GS watches Seiko still can’t align the bezel .
Old 9 March 2021, 11:31 AM   #18
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
I don’t understand how even in the making of GS watches Seiko still can’t align the bezel .

Same can be said for Rolex
Old 9 March 2021, 11:33 AM   #19
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
From a general population perspective, I don’t think they are rivals. There’s no competition. Rolex is the king of brand recognition. Which trumps all.

From a watch enthusiast perspective, there’s different arguments that can be made for GS as to why it is a worthy rival to Rolex.

I do think that the scarcity of rolex specialty pieces push some people to explore grand seiko for the first time. Then these people become GS enthusiasts when they find out how much value you get from GS at its price point.

(I have a GS in my collection fwiw)
Think this is perfectly said.
Old 9 March 2021, 11:46 AM   #20
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Grand Seiko is marketing to enthusiasts through compensated youtube influencers.

Theo and Harris dude Christian HATED Grand Seiko...but now he “loves”them and produced a video of one their events...and will be doing more with them in time. It’s so phony that it’s a comedy at this point. Same with the other guys, shilling for GS as they make their push with the market is overflowing with money that nobody knows what to spend on.

GS is great. I have 4 of them. However, I wouldn’t buy any of them in lieu of a Rolex.
I definitely see what you mean. I saw the video when he went to their event for the launch of the Godzilla GS. Hodinkee just dropped an entire podcast today titled, "How 'Grand' Should Grand Seiko Really Be?"
Old 9 March 2021, 11:51 AM   #21
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
How about guys start thinking for themselves, do their own research, find what watches/brands appeal to them. And be happy because one's satisfied with their watch and not do what the youtuber/forum member said?
People who are just getting into the hobby will do their research but also watch the YouTubers like Bark and Jack, Hodinkee, Teddy B etc... to further inform their research.
Old 9 March 2021, 12:15 PM   #22
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
IMHO, I really don't consider them comparable brands beyond the likelihood that major watch enthusiasts may be likely have at least one of each in their collection. Rolex is one of the most valuable luxury brands in the world, the most valuable watch brand, and one of the most recognizable luxury brands. Seiko, as a brand, has a very solid reputation but for entirely different reasons and is a brand that will probably always be strongly linked to quartz (and there is nothing wrong with that). The GS models I have handled have left me very impressed with the craftsmanship, and if I was loaded I would probably own one, but they don't carry the emotion behind them that Rolex does. It's just a different experience. Again, my opinion.
Old 9 March 2021, 12:16 PM   #23
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
I definitely see what you mean. I saw the video when he went to their event for the launch of the Godzilla GS. Hodinkee just dropped an entire podcast today titled, "How 'Grand' Should Grand Seiko Really Be?"
That video was ridiculous.

People stuffing themselves with Japanese cuisine wearing Day Dates. I think 3/4 of the people who were there had no idea what it was about..lol
Old 9 March 2021, 12:49 PM   #24
Robert Bruce
Banned

I have had GSs; well-made and reliable. I would probably be in the market for another if they were a little larger on diameter and a little thinner.
Old 9 March 2021, 12:54 PM   #25
RotorSelfWinding
"TRF" Member

The latest GS models are just so great with incredible movement execution and exterior execution.
Old 9 March 2021, 01:14 PM   #26
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Would never buy GS, but if you like it...
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 9 March 2021, 01:34 PM   #27
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Seiko builds a damn fine timepiece and talk about accurate those spring drives are works of art. The style they represent just aren't for everyone.
Old 9 March 2021, 02:04 PM   #28
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

My opinion only:

Watch wise Rolex has many rivals and many brands just make better watches from a horological perspective.

Rolex is #1 in brand. Being #1 in brand does not mean being #1 as a watch. Their watches are solid and will last but are fairly mid-tier horologically. That isn't a negative thing. It just is what it is.

The minute you cannot flip a Rolex for a profit and these will go back to collecting dust, with few exceptions, on AD shelves being sold at big discounts just like 2017ish (maybe 2016ish) and before.

Now, will Rolex let that happen? Probably not. They know exactly how to keep elevating their brand and crazy people have proven they will pay whatever price to have one.
Old 9 March 2021, 02:32 PM   #29
SN13
"TRF" Member

I sold the best GS made to fund a 116600.

Does part of me regret it? Yep.

Would I do it again? Yep.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
Old 9 March 2021, 02:45 PM   #30
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If you have owned a Grand Seiko you might see the discussion differently. There is an appeal to the GS and web pages such as Hodinkee are sharing their experience with the brand. I think GS, make some incredible watches, of great quality, reliability, amazing dials, and fit and finish. But, I do not know if this is any kind of a rivalry. I would describe it as another great watch brand you may want to consider owning.