The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 March 2021, 06:30 AM   #1
Dutchie212
"TRF" Member

Possibly scammed by a pledgemember : Jfo122

I fell for the cheaper price scam: he offered an BNIB Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 126710BLRO

The watch is complete with warranty card dated 01/2021, all boxes, tags and papers.

we agreed on a price, the money was wired, and suddenly he develops a fever, cough, shortness of breath, so he is heading to his local covid-19 center for testing, and that is the last I have heard from him.

What do you think?
Dutchie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 08:26 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

When was the last time you messaged him, and received a reply?
His account has now been suspended under suspicion.
Wiring money to someone you don't know, with no real selling history, is simply crazy IMO.
I hope this hasn't gone the way I think it may have....

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 09:32 AM   #3
whiteshields1830
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie212 View Post
I fell for the cheaper price scam: he offered an BNIB Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi 126710BLRO

The watch is complete with warranty card dated 01/2021, all boxes, tags and papers.

we agreed on a price, the money was wired, and suddenly he develops a fever, cough, shortness of breath, so he is heading to his local covid-19 center for testing, and that is the last I have heard from him.

What do you think?
Unfortunately highly likely a scammer. The references he provided was recycled from another scammer that was on here.
whiteshields1830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2021, 10:14 AM   #4
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Call your bank and see if there's anything they can do. Report it to FBI. Based on the price you're far into federal crime territory.

Old 26 March 2021, 12:01 AM   #5
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
I agree to definitely contact iC3.gov. File your case and you'll get best results.
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:57 AM   #6
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Sorry to hear and I hope you recover your money. Thanks for sharing.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:12 AM   #7
fryder9633
Banned

Watch: 126710BLRO
I was interested in purchasing a watch from him in early March. Didn’t go through it in the end because of the lack of references. I believe he emailed me under the email jfotimes@gmail.com
fryder9633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:20 AM   #8
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Sad to hear but firstly you are not even a member on TRF and not sure how much experience you have on this forum and then you are trying to save $1K from a new seller instead of reputed seller. You are already paying twice the MSRP, you should have gone with more reputed seller! Either ways, I hope you get your money back. Bank wires are tricky!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 08:41 AM   #9
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Any news?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 09:44 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Oh jeez . . . let's hope for a happy ending.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2021, 04:51 PM   #11
Dutchie212
"TRF" Member

Contacted my bank, but still unsure if wire recall had any luck....the waiting is the worst, especially it’s your own stupidity.
Dutchie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 04:40 PM   #12
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Sad to hear but firstly you are not even a member on TRF and not sure how much experience you have on this forum and then you are trying to save $1K from a new seller instead of reputed seller. You are already paying twice the MSRP, you should have gone with more reputed seller! Either ways, I hope you get your money back. Bank wires are tricky!

How does membership help here ? I actually just sent a paypal to become a 2021 pledge member so Im curious if it can help, besides from showing to others that Im serious rolex fanatic and appreciative of the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 10:03 PM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Contacted my bank, but still unsure if wire recall had any luck....the waiting is the worst, especially it’s your own stupidity.
Sorry to hear, probably won’t get that money back
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2021, 11:43 PM   #14
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Sadly, you have been cheated !!! Hope you will take all measures to chase this crook but highly unlikely you will get a dime back . Too bad you didn’t protect yourself by paying w CC - hope others will learn from your mistake- sorry for your loss - here is what I sent to Paul who only a thousand
Ps as a seller of course you would , IMO just as nuts as a seller expecting buyer to send a box of 100 dollar bills ( a wire to them) with NO chance of recourse . I don’t know the facts in what happened w you but had you used AMX to pay they immediately will reverse charges . Anyhow I have purchased many timepieces and sold a few but if seller won’t accept AMX , I will simply say no thanks and look elsewhere.
My best example is I purchased a PP timepiece from a well known reputable seller ( buy the seller ) , paid over $60, 000 . Timepiece was missing extra solid gold back. I called them and told them - they said give us 2 weeks and we will get it to you. I said great I will call AMX and dispute $6000 of the charge til I receive it . A miraculous thing happened, the next day they overnighted the missing gold back ! Maybe it was an unintentional mistake , I don’t know or care , but I can assure you , had I sent a wire, I might never have gotten gold back . As a buyer you Must protect yourself , period ! Paul do what you want but all I can tell you is you are out a thousand bucks ( cheap lesson) , like sooo many others who thought they should trust a seller ( they checked out , ha!) and sent them fund with NO recourse. Could have been avoided simply by using AMX ( if you don’t like pay pal , fine) . Look at virtually every buyer who got taken by a seller on this site, show me one who couldn’t have avoided disaster by following this rule , period . Sorry , for me, I don’t play Russian Roulette with my hard earned funds . Sorry for your loss , thanks for response .james in San Antonio Tx.:-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 12:33 AM   #15
pandrew6l
2024 Pledge Member

The scams are the same except with new victims . A classic example of what you don't know will hurt you.
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 05:58 AM   #16
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Wire $$ to a unknown seller for a cheaper priced hot-ass watch? Really? I have a great chance of becoming an astronaut than this deal to close. It takes two for this stuff to happen: a dishonest seller and buyers who whistle past the graveyard. As I just said in another watch out thread: And so the world turns ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 10:57 AM   #17
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Any updates OP?

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2021, 12:36 PM   #18
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Sadly, you have been cheated !!! Hope you will take all measures to chase this crook but highly unlikely you will get a dime back . Too bad you didn’t protect yourself by paying w CC - hope others will learn from your mistake- sorry for your loss - here is what I sent to Paul who only a thousand Ps as a seller of course you would , IMO just as nuts as a seller expecting buyer to send a box of 100 dollar bills ( a wire to them) with NO chance of recourse . I don’t know the facts in what happened w you but had you used AMX to pay they immediately will reverse charges . Anyhow I have purchased many timepieces and sold a few but if seller won’t accept AMX , I will simply say no thanks and look elsewhere.
My best example is I purchased a PP timepiece from a well known reputable seller ( buy the seller ) , paid over $60, 000 . Timepiece was missing extra solid gold back. I called them and told them - they said give us 2 weeks and we will get it to you. I said great I will call AMX and dispute $6000 of the charge til I receive it . A miraculous thing happened, the next day they overnighted the missing gold back ! Maybe it was an unintentional mistake , I don’t know or care , but I can assure you , had I sent a wire, I might never have gotten gold back . As a buyer you Must protect yourself , period ! Paul do what you want but all I can tell you is you are out a thousand bucks ( cheap lesson) , like sooo many others who thought they should trust a seller ( they checked out , ha!) and sent them fund with NO recourse. Could have been avoided simply by using AMX ( if you don’t like pay pal , fine) . Look at virtually every buyer who got taken by a seller on this site, show me one who couldn’t have avoided disaster by following this rule , period . Sorry , for me, I don’t play Russian Roulette with my hard earned funds . Sorry for your loss , thanks for response .james in San Antonio Tx.:-)
Your post does not make sense?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:34 AM   #19
CognitiveDissonance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Your post does not make sense?
Guy sounds unhinged
CognitiveDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Sadly, you have been cheated !!! Hope you will take all measures to chase this crook but highly unlikely you will get a dime back . Too bad you didn’t protect yourself by paying w CC - hope others will learn from your mistake- sorry for your loss - here is what I sent to Paul who only a thousand
Ps as a seller of course you would , IMO just as nuts as a seller expecting buyer to send a box of 100 dollar bills ( a wire to them) with NO chance of recourse . I don’t know the facts in what happened w you but had you used AMX to pay they immediately will reverse charges . Anyhow I have purchased many timepieces and sold a few but if seller won’t accept AMX , I will simply say no thanks and look elsewhere.

Where's the sellers protection for chargebacks? There is zero chance I'd sell you a watch on your Amex. You don't have to reply to me but just think about it from both sides. On a private transaction it cannot be made risk free so references matter.
Old 4 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #21
Littletommy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CognitiveDissonance View Post
Guy sounds unhinged
This^
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 05:26 AM   #22
Littletommy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Where's the sellers protection for chargebacks? There is zero chance I'd sell you a watch on your Amex. You don't have to reply to me but just think about it from both sides. On a private transaction it cannot be made risk free so references matter.
And this^
Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:15 AM   #23
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Possibly scammed by a pledgemember : Jfo122

OP has been back to this thread in past 16 hours but no actual update. So must assume his money is unrecoverable. Sad situation - joined for the purpose of buying below market price and then was scammed.

Since the only value left in this thread is a lesson learned - and mostly for new members who don’t know the ropes - here are some thoughts…

All sellers must be a Pledge Member to sell. It is tablestakes for selling. You must perform due diligence and check references to be sure they are bona fide. Pledge Member status doesn’t automatically mean trusted seller.

If the price is too good to be true, the deal is likely fake.

New members who have little to no experience in online watch dealings should either stick to an AD, or only buy from the very trusted boutique sellers on TRF. Don’t click on a link sent to you via PM - it is likely a scam.

Lastly, be aware that scammers will try to imitate a trusted boutique seller. They may use an email addy resembling the seller’s, but that is one character off.

Always call the trusted seller to confirm the details of a listing and be sure to only wire funds to the bank they provide. Not some sketchy wire info texted to you by a scammer.

Hope that helps - best way to beat these vermin are to educate via solid advice in these sad threads that are the aftermath of a scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:53 AM   #24
OttawaSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
OP has been back to this thread in past 16 hours but no actual update. So must assume his money is unrecoverable. Sad situation - joined for the purpose of buying below market price and then was scammed.

Since the only value left in this thread is a lesson learned - and mostly for new members who don’t know the ropes - here are some thoughts…

All sellers must be a Pledge Member to sell. It is tablestakes for selling. You must perform due diligence and check references to be sure they are bona fide. Pledge Member status doesn’t automatically mean trusted seller.

If the price is too good to be true, the deal is likely fake.

New members who have little to no experience in online watch dealings should either stick to an AD, or only buy from the very trusted boutique sellers on TRF. Don’t click on a link sent to you via PM - it is likely a scam.

Lastly, be aware that scammers will try to imitate a trusted boutique seller. They may use an email addy resembling the seller’s, but that is one character off.

Always call the trusted seller to confirm the details of a listing and be sure to only wire funds to the bank they provide. Not some sketchy wire info texted to you by a scammer.

Hope that helps - best way to beat these vermin are to educate via solid advice in these sad threads that are the aftermath of a scam.

All very true, but unfortunately the people that get scammed don’t tend to read and use good advice. How many times have the mods and members warned about phishing, 2FA and the rest?
Old 4 May 2021, 07:43 AM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sorry to hear about this OP.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:01 AM   #26
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaSteve View Post
All very true, but unfortunately the people that get scammed don’t tend to read and use good advice. How many times have the mods and members warned about phishing, 2FA and the rest?

I get that - what’s the other option?
Give up on repeating the advice.

BTW phishing & 2FA are factors on the “sell side”. Sellers who are lax are the ones who open the door to scammers by letting them hijack the genuine TRF seller’s account.

On the “buy side” it’s all about vetting., checking and double-checking.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:15 AM   #27
Jim_Bob_Jumpback
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky Dweller SS/BLK
I feel sorry for the original poster. Reading this thread makes me feel better about overpaying a little for my watch from a trusted dealer.
Jim_Bob_Jumpback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:16 AM   #28
BOA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD
I believe James failed to proofread his reply to topic.

Before posting, always read your posts for possible errairs. lol
BOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 09:11 AM   #29
dannymiller
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Tudor
Sorry to hear this, hopefully you get your money back.
dannymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2021, 10:15 AM   #30
Bdg1976
"TRF" Member

I’m very sorry to hear this. Yes, of course you should’ve followed all precautions but then it’s always easier in hindsight to do things.
Do you have the bank details where you send the money to and if I were you, I would go to the cops and file a Report giving all the details. Did you wire it within the US or international? If international, then forget it but if in the US, there is a chance although very slim.
Is there any other information you have of the seller? Anything regarding his name, address, anything at all? If I was in your place, I would get the Services of a private investigator to track him down.
But I am very sorry you have to go through this. We all take a leap of faith sometimes only for it to backfire. It has happened to me too although the amount in question was very small. Good luck to you
Bdg1976 is offline   Reply With Quote