The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2021, 10:42 PM   #1
Pam1086
"TRF" Member

Difference between Panerai bayonet case vs Omega naiad-lock

Is there any difference between said casebacks? Basically both are bayonet fitting; Panerai states wr up to 100m for base models (1084,5 & 6) even though they are tested up to 125m according to official web. Paneristi consensus is that this represent cost cutting measure. On the other hand Omega fans do not see problems with that type of caseback but Omega goes up to 300m WR with them. One can argue that panerai base model probably would offer more wr than 125m if test was conducted on higher level, but question is who would than buy more premium models.
Pam1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:43 PM   #2
unofficial
"TRF" Member

The current base models have driven caseback, which is pressed into the case overcoming the o-ring friction. Omega does indeed have a bayonet locking / screw down system, hence the WR 300m.
unofficial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:58 PM   #3
Pam1086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unofficial View Post
The current base models have driven caseback, which is pressed into the case overcoming the o-ring friction. Omega does indeed have a bayonet locking / screw down system, hence the WR 300m.

Driven is diffrent from snapback. Snapback was introduced in 774, 777 etc models, but later replaced by so called driven caseback in newe base models i.e. bayonet, if correctly stated by paneristi from passionepaneraiwatch forum
Old 25 September 2021, 01:16 AM   #4
unofficial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam1086 View Post
Driven is diffrent from snapback. Snapback was introduced in 774, 777 etc models, but later replaced by so called driven caseback in newe base models i.e. bayonet, if correctly stated by paneristi from passionepaneraiwatch forum
Would you please enlighten me what is the difference? Always thought it’s the same thing, an o-ring sealed caseback pressed against the case
Old 25 September 2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Pam1086
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unofficial View Post
Would you please enlighten me what is the difference? Always thought it’s the same thing, an o-ring sealed caseback pressed against the case
Apparently for the driven case there is 1/4 turn which locks the back. But on the other hand Panerai did not disclosed how the mechanism works, so I am just writting info I found on web.
Old 26 September 2021, 04:51 AM   #6
unofficial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam1086 View Post
Apparently for the driven case there is 1/4 turn which locks the back. But on the other hand Panerai did not disclosed how the mechanism works, so I am just writting info I found on web.
Thanks! I gonna check it out at the boutique passing by next time