The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2022, 05:54 AM   #1
TheVision
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Is Panerai still relevant anymore (compared to Omega/Rolex)?

Topic ..I'm on the waitlist for the DJ41 (only 4 months in) but stopped by Panerai boutique in Las Vegas last month and went over some models. Really loved the AR coating and case finishing but..cough, 44mm looks like a dinner plate on my 7" wrist. Also, they look weird on bracelets...lol. I do love leather straps but end up being a bracelet guy for the most part.

However, the pricing on newer 2022 models is, imo, over the top..some models are around Rolex pricing and we all know the resale value of Pam vs rolex. I mean, if someone is planning to throw around $8k+, is there any reason why they should consider a Panerai (vs Omega/Rolex)?

I do admit Panerai definitely attracts more attention. In Vegas, I spotted tons of Pam on young blokes wearing skin tight jeans and white gucci sneakers.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 06:27 AM   #2
healer
"TRF" Member

Stay with a Rolex watch. You won’t regret it:)
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 06:37 AM   #3
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
Topic ..I'm on the waitlist for the DJ41 (only 4 months in) but stopped by Panerai boutique in Las Vegas last month and went over some models. Really loved the AR coating and case finishing but..cough, 44mm looks like a dinner plate on my 7" wrist. Also, they look weird on bracelets...lol. I do love leather straps but end up being a bracelet guy for the most part.

However, the pricing on newer 2022 models is, imo, over the top..some models are around Rolex pricing and we all know the resale value of Pam vs rolex. I mean, if someone is planning to throw around $8k+, is there any reason why they should consider a Panerai (vs Omega/Rolex)?

I do admit Panerai definitely attracts more attention. In Vegas, I spotted tons of Pam on young blokes wearing skin tight jeans and white gucci sneakers.
not sure what the term "still relevant" means. I bought my first Panerai 20 years ago when no one knew what a Panerai was, so you could consider that the brand was unknown and "not relevant" at the time. But the history, style , quality and presence of the watches captured my imagination and I fell in love with the Brand in 2002 and still love it to this day. From my perspective, buy and enjoy what you like, that's all you need to make it relevant.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 08:05 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Doesn’t seem relevant to you at least.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 08:19 AM   #5
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I mean, if someone is planning to throw around $8k+, is there any reason why they should consider a Panerai (vs Omega/Rolex)?
Not trying to bully you OP, but this is honestly incredibly sad. You're completely taking aesthetics out of the equation and stating value retention is the main factor one should consider here. How do newer guys even have fun in this hobby if it's what they prioritize?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 10:27 AM   #6
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

I bought a Rolex OP41 this year and quickly sold it. Talk about dinner plates. The dial looked huge on my 7.25” wrist. Rolex is also having an issue with their 32XX movements. Add to that QC issues as they have been increasing production. I would personally not spend the $ on a Rolex until they get this all straightened out.

Omega still makes a quality watch for the money. Lots of good options in their current line up, readily available, and discounts available.

Current Panerai I have some qualms with. Personally I would look for an older model, but still think some of the new offerings are solid watches for the money.

But clearly Panerai is not your cup of tea.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 10:40 AM   #7
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I own both Rolex and Panerai. I think there's a place for both.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 02:13 PM   #8
GMT_lover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
I own both Rolex and Panerai. I think there's a place for both.
Agreed. I have many brands, Panerai included (as well as several high end brands), they all add something to the collection. I love my ceramic PAM01298.
GMT_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 03:53 PM   #9
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Panerai is one of my first loves. It is unique compared to rolex omega. It may not be as versatile but it is at home on my wrist

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 05:17 PM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

They’re watches. Make your choice. I chose Panerai.
Old 24 October 2022, 01:13 AM   #11
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
For me there is plenty of room for Panerai in the collection. I own a number of older models and enjoy them on the wrist. 233, 372, 360, 390, 424 are excellent watches and great value. Being able to switch between those and a decent Rolex collection is great.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:03 PM   #12
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I asked my wife to choose either a Rolex or Panerai for her birthday.
After trying both on - she made her decision. Excellent choice!

michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 02:06 PM   #13
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
My two Panerai get about 90% of the wrist time over the rest of the collection. I love them and don't worry about value retention. I buy and wear what I like and enjoy, investing money for profit making ventures is done elsewhere. I enjoy being somewhat different. I can spot a Rolex or at least a fake just about every time I'm out and about, but have seen maybe 2-3 Panerai.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 09:38 PM   #14
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Panerai will certainly not have the "clout" that rolex has, but I would say, neither does Omega. However, if you buy to enjoy what you like, then it shouldn't matter. Out of my small 3 watch collection of sub, BLRO, and pam 111, the panerai gets most of the wrist time (60% or so, and the other 40% split between my rolexes).

I think this is a fairly new phenomenon though. It really felt as though no watch was "relevant" with the hype crowd. I never got any comments on any of my watches and it didn't seem as though anyone even cared about watches (unless you were into the hobby) until about 2018 or so. Those were the days!
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 10:55 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm an unabashed fan of the brand.

A unique style unlike anything else IMHO. Italian design cues with Swiss watchmaking excellence.

As for size, it depends on what you're used to. They're suppose to wear large, that's kind of the point

47 mm on 7" wrist.

20201202_120835.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 02:30 AM   #16
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Consider Panerai because you like the watch.

I’d hope that this recent secondary market action would have reminded everyone that if you’re buying watches because of their resale value, then you’re not a collector or enthusiast, you’re a speculator. Not that I have a problem with speculators.

I don’t think anyone will advise you to buy a Panerai because it will be worth more one day, or that it will hold its value better than some other brand. Buy a Panerai because they make very distinctive and functional timepieces.
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 03:21 AM   #17
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Somehow this reminds when I had my Honda S2000 back in the days (when I used to be cool)

People said Honda engine got no torque. My response was "you are right, it doesn't have enough torque to get on the freeway on ramp."

Anyway, buy what you like, not what you think other people like. And some brand / model is better to buy used. Enjoy.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 05:05 AM   #18
chris nyc
2024 Pledge Member

LOL @ this post...

Gone but not forgotten: PAM 233, PAM 1389, PAM 690, PAM 654, PAM 176, PAM 000, PAM 312, PAM 305, PAM 422, Rolex DSSD, Rolex TT Sub Bluesy
chris nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 08:05 AM   #19
TeeTheWatchGuy
Banned

buy it cuz you like it. if we put resale value first on everything, there isnt much in life that can truly bring you joy.
TeeTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2022, 10:46 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve passed on Rolex models to buy a Panerai and never regretted it in the past.
I buy what I want when I want it and resale value be damned. Panerai is it’s own force of a watch and style. A Panerai will call/speak to you as much as any other brand if you identify with it.

I am pretty sure he could afford or get any Rolex he wanted with one phone call but……

Old 25 October 2022, 11:05 AM   #21
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Is any mechanical wristwatch "relevant" in 2022?

The fact that your initial concern seems to be about retained value would indicate you're more concerned with something's ROI than the item itself

Also, the fact that you (and many, many others) are currently on the waitlist for a DJ is the sole reason for the implied value retention the Rolex brand currently offers.
If you were able to walk into an AD and walk out with any Rolex model you wanted, I'm confident they'd depreciate like any other mid-tier luxury good
Old 26 October 2022, 12:51 AM   #22
budokanman
"TRF" Member

Panerai and Rolex can both have a place in any modern collection. Personally I came late to start appreciating Panerai but I feel these watches are so much more distinctive and have so much more character than a run of the mill Rolex. You just have to be okay with the size!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
budokanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 07:38 AM   #23
mailman
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I’ve owned both brands. I’d purchase a Panerai over an Omega any day unless it was an Ed White. Love historic Panerai models. And the 233.
Old 26 October 2022, 08:00 AM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
My two Panerai get about 90% of the wrist time over the rest of the collection. I love them and don't worry about value retention. I buy and wear what I like and enjoy, investing money for profit making ventures is done elsewhere. I enjoy being somewhat different. I can spot a Rolex or at least a fake just about every time I'm out and about, but have seen maybe 2-3 Panerai.
I remember sporting my 111 back in 2010 around peak hype and I saw LOTS in NYC. My oh my how times have change I definitely can say theyre still worn in Asian countries, seen a few there.

On this topic, I kind of miss my 312 at times. Just a basic, solid PAM to have in the arsenal for some days.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 09:49 AM   #25
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I'm currently considering a pam1370 and a pam0683. I don't give a hoot about resale value. I want them because I like them. There different. They will be just fine next to all my GS's and a Rolex.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 06:20 PM   #26
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

Panerai is character and uniqueness. And I’d say they can take a beating compared to some other brands. My experience.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2022, 09:27 PM   #27
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

I love Panerai, but I hate the direction it is going. 44mm on a 7in wrist should not look out of place. Panerai is supposed to look large on the wrist relative to any other watch. I think older model Panerais have a place in a well rounded collection. I would never tell anyone to buy a new Panerai from the boutique and pay full price.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 01:29 PM   #28
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
I love Panerai, but I hate the direction it is going. 44mm on a 7in wrist should not look out of place. Panerai is supposed to look large on the wrist relative to any other watch. I think older model Panerais have a place in a well rounded collection. I would never tell anyone to buy a new Panerai from the boutique and pay full price.
This is the direction they are going, hence my wife has no complaints. I also highly recommend you buy new. You get to experience wearing an unworn, 100% genuine - brand new Panerai with an 8 year warranty. Doesn't get better than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pam.JPG (123.6 KB, 777 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2022, 03:17 PM   #29
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
This is the direction they are going, hence my wife has no complaints. I also highly recommend you buy new. You get to experience wearing an unworn, 100% genuine - brand new Panerai with an 8 year warranty. Doesn't get better than that.
I'd argue a 20%-40% discount when buying Grey/Pre Owned is better than the warm fuzzy feeling you get buying new, but thats just me
Old 28 October 2022, 03:30 AM   #30
Greglaw
Banned

For the life of me i cannot understand these posts. Why do you even care what other people are wearing, criticizing their clothing and watches they wear. Oh, wait, now I get it, you want to publicly criticize Panerai wearers and those that wear certain clothes in a certain fit. Sorry about that. What a great post! My humble apologies. And that is great that you get to strut around wearing a watch with the word Rolex on it! Bully for you!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote