The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 28 October 2022, 05:09 AM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Panera i makes some really cool watches. Whatever you wear is going to be irrelevant to some. If you wear a SS sub, it’s irrelevant to guys collecting Patek and RM. i never buy watches because they are relevant. The service I’ve received the few times I’ve been into a Panerai boutique is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 09:41 AM   #32
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
For the life of me i cannot understand these posts. Why do you even care what other people are wearing, criticizing their clothing and watches they wear. Oh, wait, now I get it, you want to publicly criticize Panerai wearers and those that wear certain clothes in a certain fit. Sorry about that. What a great post! My humble apologies. And that is great that you get to strut around wearing a watch with the word Rolex on it! Bully for you!
Harsh, but mostly fair

Its sad that in the age of social media "relevance" seems to be determined but either how much something is worth or how many Instagram likes it'll get you

Personally, I wish Panerai would drop further in popularity
At least that way, you're almost assured that the people that own them, love them for what they are
It would also make buying preowned a lot easier
Old 28 October 2022, 01:47 PM   #33
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Panera i makes some really cool watches. Whatever you wear is going to be irrelevant to some. If you wear a SS sub, it’s irrelevant to guys collecting Patek and RM. i never buy watches because they are relevant. The service I’ve received the few times I’ve been into a Panerai boutique is fantastic.
Exactly, buy what's relevant to you.

I've got a nice, but pretty modest collection with Rolex, Panerai, AP, Sinn plus a Vacheron on order; but to be completely honest, my favorite of all of them is my PAM89. It's almost the cheapest of the group, not the nicest movement (ETA) and definitely missing "hype" or "relevancy", but it would be the last one I'd part with.

As far as wrist time, it comes & goes, but overall, it's my favorite. Critics & others be damned; I don't wear it to please or impress anyone but myself. An acquaintance (friend of my best friend) spells million with a B and all he wears are Panerais. When I first met him he was wearing a Bronzo, another time, a carbotech; I asked him about them, he knew the model number & was actually knowledgeable about Panerais and had been collecting them (and straps!) for 20 years. He isn't a flashy guy at all & simply buys and wears what he likes.

Bottom line, make yourself happy. Buy whatever you like, with the expectation it's worthless once you've paid for it and the only "value" is how it makes you feel. That's the watch to buy.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 04:26 PM   #34
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Full Disclosure. I own (6) Panerai's. All older, except for my 721.

That being said, I would never, ever, buy a Panerai in lieu of a Rolex.

If you WANT Rolex, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get Rolex as anything else will essentially be a waste of money to you long run.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I wanted both, but never at the expense of a Rolex that I wanted.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 08:53 PM   #35
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'd argue a 20%-40% discount when buying Grey/Pre Owned is better than the warm fuzzy feeling you get buying new, but thats just me
I did my homework and nobody reputable is giving a 20%-40% discount on a brand new Panerai.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 09:00 PM   #36
JeanValjean14
"TRF" Member

Still relevant IMO, as i'm picking up PAM915 tomorrow morning :) cant wait
JeanValjean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2022, 10:55 PM   #37
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

If you WANT Rolex, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get Rolex as anything else will essentially be a waste of money to you long run.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I wanted both, but never at the expense of a Rolex that I wanted.
spot on
Old 28 October 2022, 11:35 PM   #38
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I equally love both brands and this is very true. Buy what you really want and cost be damned because compromising sucks with a luxury watch. I would easily buy a particular Panerai model over a Rolex if that was what I wanted and would not feel I was giving up any quality or robustness in doing so. Both are outstanding brands but the Crown is as mainstream and popular as it gets. Panerai is a niche brand now with its own unique look.
Old 29 October 2022, 08:36 AM   #39
Cru Jones

Quote:

Well, if one wants any watch instead of Panerai, they should get that watch. The reverse is true: if one wants a Panerai instead of any another watch, they should get à Panerai.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get the watch you WANT.

Or maybe I’m missing the point of your post?

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 09:31 AM   #40
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
I did my homework and nobody reputable is giving a 20%-40% discount on a brand new Panerai.
Look harder
Jomashop has a number of brand new models on offer for 15%-20% under retail
Switching to pre owned, you're in the 20%-40%+ under retail mark on most models
Old 5 November 2022, 03:16 AM   #41
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

While waiting for the call for a Batman from an AD, I started looking for something to acquire sooner.

I did some research on a number of brands and liked Panerai. Upon further research, I found most of the models I liked had been discontinued and non of the current line up was attractive to me. I did end up buying a 44mm 233 which I love. All the other Panerai's I find attractive are the 372/690/127...all are discontinued and all are 47mm (which is just too big for me).

So to answer the original question, I think the current line of Panerai's is irrelevant. All the classics have been discontinued. Just my opinion. YMMV
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 03:50 AM   #42
zlin08033
"TRF" Member

Very nice!!!

Quote:
I asked my wife to choose either a Rolex or Panerai for her birthday.
After trying both on - she made her decision. Excellent choice!

zlin08033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 05:39 AM   #43
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I been wearing a Rolex off and on since 1982. Also owning a slew of other brands usually several of each. Longines, Breitling, Tag, hamilton, Grand Seiko, Tudor, Panerai, I just can't name them over the years.

At present I have no desire to own a modern Rolex at all.

So as for Panerai, I think they are fantastic watches, well made and have a unique style. My next two purchases will be Panerai. I already have them picked out and on hold. Pam1370 and a Pam 0683.

I will add them to my Pam722. I wear what I like and i"m very happy with my choices. They will set just fine next to my GS collection.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 05:41 AM   #44
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
I asked my wife to choose either a Rolex or Panerai for her birthday.
After trying both on - she made her decision. Excellent choice!

Lovely watch!!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2022, 03:45 PM   #45
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Look harder
Jomashop has a number of brand new models on offer for 15%-20% under retail
Switching to pre owned, you're in the 20%-40%+ under retail mark on most models

I did say 'reputable'. I tried Jomashop, and two times after I bought the watch online they tell me 'it's no longer available. No thank you!
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 02:14 PM   #46
healer
"TRF" Member

i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 10:36 AM   #47
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
[I]f someone is planning to throw around $8k+, is there any reason why they should consider a Panerai (vs Omega/Rolex)?
Yes: they are original and extremely appealing designs, tough and toolish, and you can get discounts on them new. My next watch will almost certainly be a Panerai.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 02:11 PM   #48
ihavenosn16
"TRF" Member

It is an odd post hating on panerai on the panerai sub forum. I wear my PAM the most and it is still relevant to me. I have a 233.
ihavenosn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 02:30 AM   #49
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I don't think this is such a ridiculous question.
I think it is fair to ask if Panerai are pricing themselves correctly in the market. I love the design, and love the DNA of the watches. I have owned 2 Panerai's and would love to get more.

However looking at the current pricing for their models I think that they are leaving themselves open to comparison to their competitors such as Rolex and Omega. They are asking £9800 for the new 44mm submersibles. That is more than Rolex ask for the submariner, far more than Omega ask for the seamaster 300m- and that is what stops me from adding to my Panerai collection.

If they were priced at around the £6000 I think they would be very competitive. But if you price yourselves way above the competition then you need to be able to justify that.
shammad10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 08:37 AM   #50
Dr. T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Agree with many of the posts.

Panerai is a iconic brand with many great designs but current management have lost the plot IMO. They discontinued many classic models (e.g. 372, 233) without replacing them with anything very exciting, have been constantly cost cutting since 2015-ish and prices for many new models are often way above Rolex, Grand Seiko or Glashutte Original (3 of my other favourite brands).

The above in combination with fashion trends means that there is arguably less intense interest in forums than 10+ years ago.

I'm not selling my 112 though. All time classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I think it is fair to ask if Panerai are pricing themselves correctly in the market. I love the design, and love the DNA of the watches. I have owned 2 Panerai's and would love to get more.

However looking at the current pricing for their models I think that they are leaving themselves open to comparison to their competitors such as Rolex and Omega. They are asking £9800 for the new 44mm submersibles. That is more than Rolex ask for the submariner, far more than Omega ask for the seamaster 300m- and that is what stops me from adding to my Panerai collection.

If they were priced at around the £6000 I think they would be very competitive. But if you price yourselves way above the competition then you need to be able to justify that.
Dr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 08:40 AM   #51
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be fair, comparing the price of any watch against the RRP of a Rolex Sub is kinda mute these days, as your chances of getting a Sub from an AD are slim without significant purchase history or luck

Also, cross shopping a Panerai to a Seamaster isnt really an apples to apples comparison
Panerai vs Planet Ocean would be a little closer, IMO

That having been said, I think Panerais are overpriced on certain models (I'm looking at you Bronzo)
Old 9 November 2022, 09:32 AM   #52
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Funny - I just started into Panerai.

There’s a lot to like and may be one of my next watches.

So yes, I say relevant. I don’t care what others think, they didn’t pay for my collection.

I have a modest collection too some and a major to others. Who cares. Last rear when I picked up a Breitling Super Ocean I knew I was losing $$$ walking out the door, but I don’t plane to sell it and I get just as much joy out of it as my Rolex.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 02:48 PM   #53
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

To me, the iconic Panerai's have the following in their DNA:

1. 1950 or 1940 case
2. domed crystal
3. sandwich dial
4. crown guard (on the non-Radiomir models)
5. exhibition back
6. manual wind

What of their current line shows any of this classic lineage?
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 08:02 PM   #54
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be fair, comparing the price of any watch against the RRP of a Rolex Sub is kinda mute these days, as your chances of getting a Sub from an AD are slim without significant purchase history or luck

Also, cross shopping a Panerai to a Seamaster isnt really an apples to apples comparison
Panerai vs Planet Ocean would be a little closer, IMO

That having been said, I think Panerais are overpriced on certain models (I'm looking at you Bronzo)
I mean I actually did get a Rolex Sub from an AD without purchase history, and a Milgauss and an Explorer 2 from a different AD. Yes it is more difficult, but is doable with patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Funny - I just started into Panerai.

There’s a lot to like and may be one of my next watches.

So yes, I say relevant. I don’t care what others think, they didn’t pay for my collection.

I have a modest collection too some and a major to others. Who cares. Last rear when I picked up a Breitling Super Ocean I knew I was losing $$$ walking out the door, but I don’t plane to sell it and I get just as much joy out of it as my Rolex.
Yeah I agree, buy what sings to you. I wasn't so much talking about losing money on the watches, I was more talking about feeling that you weren't being mugged off when you purchased the watch at MSRP.
When I buy a Tudor or Rolex or Omega at MSRP I feel like I can justify the price and feel like I'm getting value and a lot of watch for the money. I unfortunately do not feel the same way at the Quaranta 40mm at £6600 and the new submersibles at nearly £10k.
shammad10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 11:44 PM   #55
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
I mean I actually did get a Rolex Sub from an AD without purchase history, and a Milgauss and an Explorer 2 from a different AD. Yes it is more difficult, but is doable with patience.

Yeah I agree, buy what sings to you. I wasn't so much talking about losing money on the watches, I was more talking about feeling that you weren't being mugged off when you purchased the watch at MSRP.
When I buy a Tudor or Rolex or Omega at MSRP I feel like I can justify the price and feel like I'm getting value and a lot of watch for the money. I unfortunately do not feel the same way at the Quaranta 40mm at £6600 and the new submersibles at nearly £10k.

I think the above is true of the Quaranta and some models for sure, but there are equally many omega and tudor (most of them) models that would make me unhappy if purchased at retail as well. Tudor has about 3 watches that you MAYBE can justify a retail price purchase, and Omega has some, but only their limited/unicorns (snoopy, ed white, etc.)
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 10:47 PM   #56
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
I can say that after attending a Panerai event put on by my local AD. The brand Panerai is loved by so many great people. The aesthetics of the pieces are very unique and stand out on their own and I admire that. Of course to your point none of us want to buy something that lets be honest is for the most part is completely unnecessary and very expensive be worth much less than what we originally paid for it. But instead it’s because we all love to talk about the history and stories behind each piece. The milestones we celebrate in our lives that are marked by the beloved cushion cases on our wrists. Panerai is a special brand and is a little different than the standard that all other watches try to be. I’ll also share a little eye candy that I got to see last night.

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 10:15 PM   #57
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool reference.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2022, 12:06 PM   #58
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
It was SO cool!!! Apparently there are only 2 of those in the world! And they sold one at the show, I heard that Panerai is flying the new owner to Switzerland for delivery, how cool is that!

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 04:06 AM   #59
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
In my circle of friends Panerai is the brand of choice for our daily wearers. Many of us leave our Rolex/AP/Patek/VC sitting at home. I often see between 3-5 different Panerai models on the wrists of people at the local coffee shop I go to which is great because I find Panerai owners very excited to talk watches when they spot another 'risti!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 04:09 AM   #60
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjackson View Post
I can say that after attending a Panerai event put on by my local AD. The brand Panerai is loved by so many great people. The aesthetics of the pieces are very unique and stand out on their own and I admire that. Of course to your point none of us want to buy something that lets be honest is for the most part is completely unnecessary and very expensive be worth much less than what we originally paid for it. But instead it’s because we all love to talk about the history and stories behind each piece. The milestones we celebrate in our lives that are marked by the beloved cushion cases on our wrists. Panerai is a special brand and is a little different than the standard that all other watches try to be. I’ll also share a little eye candy that I got to see last night.

My oh my
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote