The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 March 2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Breguet, Patek, and the Daytona

Since the $50K thread got locked here is a fact to remember about Breguet. The company was started by Louis Abraham Breguet in 1775 in Paris, which makes it the oldest watch company, period. The company is owned by the Swatch Group but they are essentially stand alone from the perspective of movements, etc. Breguet has invented more watch technology that just about any other watch company. Breguet overcoil anyone?

It is still disingenuous to say the Daytona has no history though. It has a great history - it's just measured in decades not centuries like Breguet.

And there's no reason to diss Patek Philippe unless you're jealous and can't afford one. They're great watches and the Aquanaut and Nautilus are more than robust enough to withstand diving and a game or two of golf.

Rolex's are great pieces - but you have to be open-minded about where they sit in the watch universe and enjoy them for what they are, and not criticize other brands for not being Rolex.
Old 4 March 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
I have a friend, super old money... he has 3 Breguet watches, total price 320,000$ I respect it... & in a sick way... I "get it"... I wear my 18k Daytona proudly in his presence... but alas, I must admit its like pulling up to a stoplight in a Mercedes next to a Rolls Royce...
Old 4 March 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
Oh yeah, I like where this is going...

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
Old 4 March 2011, 12:06 PM   #4
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I love the Breguet Classique & XX lines. Not sure what's worth complaining about, other than maybe Swatch aftermarket support. I don't see anything in either the Patek or Breguet line that I would consider a direct competitor to the Daytona.

Patek & Breguet do compete more directly against each other.
Old 4 March 2011, 12:07 PM   #5
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I can certainly appreciate all other watch brands, but give me a Rolex any day for long term "work like a tank" performance year after year, decade after decade, generation after generation. Timeless, high performing, great value --- that's Rolex.
Old 4 March 2011, 12:22 PM   #6
liptonnr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-c LV, GMT's
I have said it before and I will say it again: that is why there are so many flavors of ice cream! The subject matter (i.e. watch companies) are all exceptional in their own way. I love them all for a variety of reasons. Just my $.02.
Old 4 March 2011, 12:51 PM   #7
gtb5

Thought Blancpain is older??
Old 4 March 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
BlueHorseshoe
"TRF" Member

Vacheron Constantin got its start in 1755 -- a bit before Breguet. Still, Breguet has a really great list of high-profile owners from history including Napoleon and Marie Antoinette.
Old 4 March 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
don't completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Since the $50K thread got locked here is a fact to remember about Breguet. The company was started by Louis Abraham Breguet in 1775 in Paris, which makes it the oldest watch company, period. The company is owned by the Swatch Group but they are essentially stand alone from the perspective of movements, etc. Breguet has invented more watch technology that just about any other watch company. Breguet overcoil anyone?

It is still disingenuous to say the Daytona has no history though. It has a great history - it's just measured in decades not centuries like Breguet.

And there's no reason to diss Patek Philippe unless you're jealous and can't afford one. They're great watches and the Aquanaut and Nautilus are more than robust enough to withstand diving and a game or two of golf.

Rolex's are great pieces - but you have to be open-minded about where they sit in the watch universe and enjoy them for what they are, and not criticize other brands for not being Rolex.
The origins of Breguet are described accurately, but I'd like to add that Breguet was basically moribund when Swatch bought the brand name and starting rebuilding it. There is little or no connection between the current Breguet and the original company. Blancpain has the same "history". These are fine brands, but they are really Swatch brands.

Rolex is the same company with the almost the same ownership that it has always had. You can say the same for Patek and, maybe, Girard Perregaux but not many others.
Old 4 March 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb5 View Post
Thought Blancpain is older??
Yep. It was founded in 1735 but it disappeared after going bankrupt, for several years.

The oldest watch manufacturer in the world with an uninterrupted history is Vacheron Constantin, founded in 1755.
Old 4 March 2011, 01:40 PM   #11
NEW
"TRF" Member

Watch: MANY
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

What do you expect it's a ROLEX FORUM!!!!
Old 4 March 2011, 02:05 PM   #12
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
The origins of Breguet are described accurately, but I'd like to add that Breguet was basically moribund when Swatch bought the brand name and starting rebuilding it. There is little or no connection between the current Breguet and the original company. Blancpain has the same "history". These are fine brands, but they are really Swatch brands.

Rolex is the same company with the almost the same ownership that it has always had. You can say the same for Patek and, maybe, Girard Perregaux but not many others.
I don't think that's right. Yes, Breguet is part of the Swatch Group now, but it wasn't Swatch that bought a moribund Breguet to revive.

Breguet was revived when the Chaumet brothers bought it in the '70s and took on Daniel Roth, the watchmaker responsible for the Breguet tourbillon, amongst others, as well as the iconic Breguet 3130.
Old 4 March 2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
What exactly is the point here?

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Old 4 March 2011, 02:52 PM   #14
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post

Yes, that's right. Many of the watch companies either have not operated continuously or went bankrupt in the 1970s prior to being revived by one of the watch conglomerates. Panerai is another example - great watches, but the way the history is marketed differs from the reality.
Old 4 March 2011, 03:28 PM   #15
tdnt

Watch: GMT Master iic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
What exactly is the point here?
X2
Old 4 March 2011, 03:33 PM   #16
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
AP is the oldest company thats always had a member of the family
on the board, MUCH more history than Breguet. VC started before Breguet

Breguet was gone for years, AP wasn't....

Check your facts first

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
Old 4 March 2011, 09:15 PM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
They are all amazing watches!! For me though--Vintage Rolex tops in my world!

*Lug Holes Forever

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 4 March 2011, 10:26 PM   #18
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18**
My cousin who collects art, watches, and ferraris does not buy Breguet watches. Partially a taste preference but also due to the fact BReguet makes "value" complications in relatively large numbers which depreciates in value quickly. He loves Rolexes though. :)
Old 5 March 2011, 12:48 AM   #19
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I think if you check the number of inventi
Old 5 March 2011, 12:50 AM   #20
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

I think if you check the number of inventions and patents against the Breguet name you will see howmuch they have contributed to the watch industry.
Old 5 March 2011, 12:51 AM   #21
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
you're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post
I don't think that's right. Yes, Breguet is part of the Swatch Group now, but it wasn't Swatch that bought a moribund Breguet to revive.

Breguet was revived when the Chaumet brothers bought it in the '70s and took on Daniel Roth, the watchmaker responsible for the Breguet tourbillon, amongst others, as well as the iconic Breguet 3130.
I forgot about the Chaumet step in the history. Still, a moribund brand.
Old 5 March 2011, 12:53 AM   #22
WatchTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
They are all amazing watches!! For me though--Vintage Rolex tops in my world!

*Lug Holes Forever
Well said best response in this thread.

Old 5 March 2011, 01:11 AM   #23
Cru Jones

well, if i took a breguet and smashed it against my explorer II, the explorer II would win and still be keeping good time.

(i think the quality of that response is appropriate for the quality of this thread, )
Old 5 March 2011, 01:53 AM   #24
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Age of consent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
well, if i took a breguet and smashed it against my explorer II, the explorer II would win and still be keeping good time.

(i think the quality of that response is appropriate for the quality of this thread, )
Good to know children are welcome here - bienvenu mon petit brave!
Old 5 March 2011, 02:58 AM   #25
WatchTimes

Quote:
Good to know children are welcome here - bienvenu mon petit brave!
Yes well the whole thread seems a bit childish.
Starting a thread more or less trying to slam Rolex in the Rolex section of the board. I think this would have been better received in the Other Watches section

Citing inaccurate facts

"The company was started by Louis Abraham Breguet in 1775 in Paris, which makes it the oldest watch company, period."

And your comment

"Rolex's are great pieces - but you have to be open-minded about where they sit in the watch universe and enjoy them for what they are, and not criticize other brands for not being Rolex."

I think you are the one who needs to be open-minded when you come in here bashing people in the specific Rolex section of the website.

This thread like the 50K thread is clearly going no where so I hope this thread gets locked as well and hopefully people will continue with quality posts which encourage quality discussion not posts trying to say mine is better than yours.

Old 5 March 2011, 03:05 AM   #26
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
There is no point in continuing this thread. It is now closed.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Closed Thread