The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 June 2011, 06:46 AM   #1
rachelb
Banned

Patek Philippe Complicated 5134G,

Patek Philippe Complicated 5134G,
I have wanted a patek for years and now i see a
Patek Philippe Complicated 5134G, 6 years old for £ 12,000.00 . can you say if this is a good price, the seller says that the watch has been refurbished and re- plated . is this normal for a 6 year old watch to get this done . is this model a good watch .

any opinion welcome

thanks
rachelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Having just checked chrono 24 the price seems reasonable.

Though I'm a little concerned by the term "re-plating" this piece is made from solid w/g so what are the referring too

And a piece which is only 6 years old should not be requiring such treatment unless it has suffered from a hard life!

Does it come with all the papers and boxes?

Regards
Tony
Old 21 June 2011, 07:33 AM   #3
rachelb
Banned

Thanks for your reply. yes i agree with you, can you explain if WG is plated as i was told old pp in WG are plated, but the new ones are not also is gold yellow so where do yoy get white gold from? Do you have a price list for pp watches in 2005

thanks
Old 21 June 2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Demosthene
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelb View Post
also is gold yellow so where do yoy get white gold from?
White gold is an alloy of gold and at least one white metal, usually nickel, manganese or palladium.
Demosthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
From what I know is the white gold will turn yellowish over time. Hence where the replating *may* be neccessary. The white colour of the white gold isn't very friendly to climate changes, sweat, and daily wear. Try using the cape cod on white gold, and it'll turn yellowish.

About 6 years to replate ... well ... if it has like daily wear for at least 5 days a week, I'd say it's normal.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
From what I know is the white gold will turn yellowish over time. Hence where the replating *may* be neccessary. The white colour of the white gold isn't very friendly to climate changes, sweat, and daily wear. Try using the cape cod on white gold, and it'll turn yellowish.

About 6 years to replate ... well ... if it has like daily wear for at least 5 days a week, I'd say it's normal.
And that is why you should buy Platinum :)

Or if you must buy WG make sure it is only Rolex WG

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 07:12 PM   #7
rachelb
Banned

White Gold

Thanks

please explain why Rolex WG
Old 21 June 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Adam K.
Banned

Watch: All the Oysters
Rolex's 18K white gold...

is formulated with palladium, and achieves its final greyish-white color without any form of plating (such as rhodium, which is a platinum-family metal commonly applied to white gold cases...including those of many Patek Philippe models, although I do understand PP has moved away from rhodium-plating for 18K w.g. models in the last few years).

The point is, the one (Rolex) "is what it is", while 18K white gold that features a rhodium plating (to increase the apparent whiteness of the metal) will get dingier over time as it wears, and exposes the somewhat yellowish-toned alloy underneath. BTW, Rolex is not the only company to use white gold alloys without plating--two others are A. Lange & Sohne and Roger Dubuis, and I know there are more, too.

The rhodium is almost certainly what your merchant was referring to when mentioning "plating" of the Patek annual calendar you're considering. BTW, there's no such thing as a bad PP annual calendar: they're beautiful, each and every one, and certainly represent among the top echelon of production-level haute horlogerie (before getting into independent masters like Philippe Dufour or Kari Voutilainen). Buying pre-owned (from the right source) is about the only way to get hold of ANY Patek at anything close to a reasonable price these days, I'd add!

Best,

Adam
Adam K. is offline   Reply With Quote