The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 July 2021, 07:37 AM   #1
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Carbotech repair

I am asking for a friend , can this be repaired? Like a buff or a polish? Anyone ever got this sorted with Panerai?

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
Old 22 July 2021, 07:54 AM   #2
sp006
"TRF" Member

Ouch. That looks like an expensive fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Don't think so and the risk of this happening is why I've stayed away from Carbotech. Carbotech, while it sounds innovative, seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:44 AM   #4
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch, send an email with pic to Panerai and I look forward to hearing the fix / cost.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 08:47 AM   #5
sp006
"TRF" Member

Makes me think of all the carbon fiber splitters that end up getting scraped in driveways and low curbs. Have to replace the whole thing.

sp006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 01:30 PM   #6
thsiao
"TRF" Member

I do not think there’s a way to repair that and a new case sounds expensive.
Old 22 July 2021, 06:20 PM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Eeeeek. :-( Luckily, the mark is really small.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 09:04 PM   #8
rajurama
"TRF" Member

How about adding epoxy resin and then file and smoothen ? Like we laser weld steel or gold. Just thinking aloud.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:24 PM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Don't think so and the risk of this happening is why I've stayed away from Carbotech. Carbotech, while it sounds innovative, seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.
I couldn't have authored a better take on some of the novel materials Panerai is choosing to work with. There's a lot of different ways to give watches a "blacked out" look. Each has their pros and cons. Panerai as experimented with composite, DLC, ceramic, Carbotech; you name it. Ceramic seems to be material that routinely rises to the top to accomplish this look (albeit still with its own limitations).

The Carbotech looks great. This sort of accident could theoretically occur with almost any material used. The repair could be tricky.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 03:25 AM   #10
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Sorry this happened, but how? I was interested in getting a carbotech myself because a few posts I read on here indicated that the material is extremely tough. Doesn’t look like it based on your pic.
Old 23 July 2021, 04:40 AM   #11
Blunt Instrument
"TRF" Member

I'm might be in the minority here but I don't think the ding is too bad. It's also kind of impressive to ding Carbotech (if you choose to look at it that way). Life is party about memories, and that's definitely a memory.

With that said, totally agree with the assessment of sending Panerai a photo. It's always good to know the cost if you want to try and fix.
Blunt Instrument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:30 PM   #12
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I have a carbotech and because the watch wears so easily, being extremely light weight, I wear it constantly. Result is I have bumped into things and banged it severely but there is not a mark on the watch. I am very interested to know how this damage occurred. It looks like it was scraped across concrete with a good force. Maybe a fall?
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 10:06 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
I have a carbotech and because the watch wears so easily, being extremely light weight, I wear it constantly. Result is I have bumped into things and banged it severely but there is not a mark on the watch. I am very interested to know how this damage occurred. It looks like it was scraped across concrete with a good force. Maybe a fall?
Same here, how did it happen?

I recently scraped the 1118 TRON bezel across our home's concrete siding by accident. Some of the concrete was actually 'sticking' to the bezel!!!!!! i panicked there for a few seconds, then wiped it off. I swear you can't even see a scratch.

download.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 23 July 2021, 11:22 PM   #14
77T

Carbotech repair

Given its location I’d suppose some carefully applied epoxy would seal the surface. I don’t believe a DIY is in the cards to fill the small void I see.

While Carbotech from Panerai is based upon carbon fiber, it appears to be the chopped and powdered pressure infused version. Laid up in layers then cut at various angles to produce the final case. To avoid continued sloughing of debris during ownership I think they must coat it somehow.

So a little epoxy and tiny brushes should be enough to wear it safely. A total restoral may be difficult except by Panerai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 11:34 PM   #15
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
Makes me think of all the carbon fiber splitters that end up getting scraped in driveways and low curbs. Have to replace the whole thing.

There is a resin that’s been used for years to repair the scrapes. The surface is a pretty thick layer of epoxy coating on top of the actual carbon fiber weave. A small example for a ding is in this YT - the shallow scrapes are also easy to do…

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 12:17 AM   #16
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunt Instrument View Post
I'm might be in the minority here but I don't think the ding is too bad. It's also kind of impressive to ding Carbotech (if you choose to look at it that way). Life is party about memories, and that's definitely a memory.

With that said, totally agree with the assessment of sending Panerai a photo. It's always good to know the cost if you want to try and fix.
GMC tried selling this idea a few years back and it always comes up here. When I was building my house I had a beater Ford and it was a work truck with whatever damage that came with the work...I didn't care about damage. I didn't go out and buy a brand new F150 Platinum to haul gravel and lumber. I don't see my more expensive watches as something to not care about. I get not babying a watch and not obsessing over every scratch but if I buy nice stuff I prefer to and take pride in keeping it nice. If my nicer cars/trucks get dents or major paint damage...I get it fixed. Here's my "Gshock" truck and my "Rolex" truck....just a Lariat so maybe my "Stainless Datejust" truck.

https://youtu.be/8hP5x0hnXq4

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 02:08 AM   #17
Blunt Instrument
"TRF" Member

Totally valid opinion, as well. Thanks for sharing.

I think it’s just a different strokes thing, and how you wish to value/see a “tool watch”. One of my favorite posts on this forum was of a father’s gmt. (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=609890) He would garden with it everyday, I believe. The thing was beaten 5 ways to Sunday, and when it was cleaned, you could really see how this person’s life physically changed the watch. In my eyes, that’s just beautiful.

If you take the monetary component out, which I completely understand is difficult, a watch is just a thing. And when we have children or family, it probably has its second best function and that’s being a memory or momento. I think about this a lot and how if I were to inherent a watch, would I rather have it like new and in store bought condition, or lived in/dinged up and full of memories of a loved one.

When I started collecting I would’ve said like new. Now, I’m more in the dinged up camp.
Blunt Instrument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 02:39 AM   #18
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Given its location I’d suppose some carefully applied epoxy would seal the surface. I don’t believe a DIY is in the cards to fill the small void I see.

While Carbotech from Panerai is based upon carbon fiber, it appears to be the chopped and powdered pressure infused version. Laid up in layers then cut at various angles to produce the final case. To avoid continued sloughing of debris during ownership I think they must coat it somehow.

So a little epoxy and tiny brushes should be enough to wear it safely. A total restoral may be difficult except by Panerai.

I agree - I dont think I would personal consider taking on a repair myself of a carbon or ceramic case. Seems like too much going to on with the manufacturing process - either love the “experience” on the watch or send to Panerai for a fix. I have two ceramics but dont have a carbon. I suppose each has their pros and cons but I’ve always assumed if anything went wrong it was going to be more expensive than SS. Good luck.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 03:29 AM   #19
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Most likely a new case would be needed?
Bad material for a watch case, IMHO.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 04:36 PM   #20
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Geez, pretty small damage in the grand scheme of things. I’m actually considering a carbon tech watch now, so I’d be curious as to how it happened and what Panerai says about the repair.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 01:10 AM   #21
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Did the OP leave, as am waiting to hear what Panerai says.

Old 7 August 2021, 02:11 AM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Did the OP leave, as am waiting to hear what Panerai says.
I’m very interested too
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:00 AM   #23
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

I hope the OP comes back. Very interested.

I have a Carbotech watch, I wacked it against a door and door was damaged, with bits of the door paint attached to the watch which peeled off, leaving no mark whatsoever.

I am sure a steel watch would have had scratches.

So I think Carbotech is a good material for some, but if you take a chunk out your options are limited.

Also my 1661 survived going through the post without proper packaging!

Last edited by roger.bolton; 8 August 2021 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: typo
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 06:43 AM   #24
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Hi guys , still awaiting a response from Panerai hence No Update... I have a feeling we won't get a solution via Email.. Since it's not my watch , I am not directly in contact Panerai but am keeping a check on any update via the watch owner.
Old 8 August 2021, 06:55 AM   #25
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Amazing, it’s not that bad of a mark on the end of the lugs. I don’t believe it’s even visible on the wrist from the top or sides so not sure anything really has to be done to maintain the integrity or strength of the watch. Ceramic would have surely shattered or cracked. The watch lugs held up and remained a functional watch.

How did this even happen as I have hit my 661 Carbotech against a bridge pier under water on a dive. It has no marks where a metal watch would have been damaged enough for it to be severely dented. Certainly no material is indestructible but Carbotech is by far the toughest being used to make the ultimate big black luxury watch out of. It’s the ultimate genuine luxury “tools watch” if there ever was one but if you go down on a motorcycle at speed the watch is wearing you.
Old 8 August 2021, 05:23 PM   #26
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Hi guys , still awaiting a response from Panerai hence No Update... I have a feeling we won't get a solution via Email.. Since it's not my watch , I am not directly in contact Panerai but am keeping a check on any update via the watch owner.
Could you please ask your friend how the damage occurred? A lot of folks on the thread, myself included, are interested to know because carbotech is supposed to be extremely tough according to Panerai. Thanks in advance.
Old 12 August 2021, 02:01 PM   #27
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
Could you please ask your friend how the damage occurred? A lot of folks on the thread, myself included, are interested to know because carbotech is supposed to be extremely tough according to Panerai. Thanks in advance.
I'd be interested in knowing as well as I'm very interested in this specific watch. Thanks.
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 03:27 PM   #28
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
may be OP hit it with a hammer, lol.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2021, 06:08 PM   #29
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
how much does it cost to replace rhe whole case?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2021, 01:14 PM   #30
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
I'd be interested in knowing as well as I'm very interested in this specific watch. Thanks.
?
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote