The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 September 2021, 07:13 AM   #61
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_klo View Post
My panerai carbotech 616 had broken lugs due to delaminination of the layers. Initially they wanted me to pay a ridiculous amount. But they ended up paying for everything apart from the man hour charges to replace the case with the new one. I'll need to dig up the photos of the lugs if anybody is interested.
Yes please , makes sense if you say it got delaminated probably the resin glue lost its strength due to some exposure of either chemical or anyways or just earlier prototypes...
Old 22 September 2021, 12:47 PM   #62
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
man, i've posted sooooo many....

BTW i don't think most realize how many 'personalities' this lume / dial has. The slightest of sun makes it glow a bit like the 'best' Rolex lume, more sun gets you Panerai TRON glow. It's sooooooo many levels brighter :)

Attachment 1245272

Attachment 1245273

Attachment 1245274

Attachment 1245275

Attachment 1245276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Yes please , makes sense if you say it got delaminated probably the resin glue lost its strength due to some exposure of either chemical or anyways or just earlier prototypes...
IGotId is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 08:21 PM   #63
56Diver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yea, I won’t give much credit to a baseless claim without some empirical information. The Internet runs wild to discredit new scary materials so a back story and pictures are required to give it any more attention or thought. I have way too much experience with watches and have beaten the hell out of my Carbotech watch to have a pretty educated idea of how durable the material is. It’s not brittle because it’s built in layers. I have yet to put a single mark on my Carbotech watch. Certainly nothing is indestructible and if you put enough leverage (abuse) and reap hard enough on the lug you can break it. That said, layered Carbon fiber is used as THE strongest material in the space, aviation, and the racing world. From structural components used in rocket fuselages to Indy cars.

FYI, BMG and Carbotech have nothing in common.
I will see the doctor when I go by the facility again and ask if he has any pictures of the broken carbotech.

What’s funny is that if someone doesn’t like your info, then it’s “the internet is full of rumors”
56Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 08:58 PM   #64
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Diver View Post
I will see the doctor when I go by the facility again and ask if he has any pictures of the broken carbotech.

What’s funny is that if someone doesn’t like your info, then it’s “the internet is full of rumors”
I always keep an open mind and that's the only way we learn...there are already 2 photos submitted in this thread with one having a valid accidental damage. Please do share whenever you can. Appreciate your input.
Old 22 September 2021, 09:09 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
I always keep an open mind and that's the only way we learn...there are already 2 photos submitted in this thread with one having a valid accidental damage. Please do share whenever you can. Appreciate your input.
X2

I’d like to see more from the other posters and learn more about repair / case replacement costs
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 10:41 PM   #66
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sadly, it may be the world we now live in. Facts (and laws) don't matter anylonger. Kinda reminds me of the same stuff that Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc do daily with shadow-banning, even if you post/read word for word what is the 'official' party-line stance.

We live in interesting times my friends.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 02:20 AM   #67
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That would be great to gather actual data to these stories.
Old 23 September 2021, 12:50 PM   #68
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think you would agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there...

I'm just glad Panerai has an 8 yr warranty
Old 23 September 2021, 01:46 PM   #69
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
This is a case replacement. These composites cannot be repaired. With metals laser welding can be used to build up the area, but these composite materials have no repair. Sorry.

Like any composite material they’re particularly prone to edge damage due to weave configuration. Tons of torsional stiffness though…

I had a ceramic panerai tuttonero. Different material entirely, but a chipped bracelet occurred really easily. Panerai repaired it and I sold the watch immediately…
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 02:24 PM   #70
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

yea the lack of repairability concerns me for any of these carbon cases, like the zenith defy or carbonium UN.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2021, 11:13 PM   #71
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
I'm just glad Panerai has an 8 yr warranty
Or 70 year warranty :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 24 September 2021, 11:17 AM   #72
f_klo
"TRF" Member

Ive found the images but have trouble uploading the pics. LOL the file size seems a bit big

Last edited by f_klo; 24 September 2021 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: photo links didnt work
f_klo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 11:42 AM   #73
f_klo
"TRF" Member

20210924-110045.jpg

20181210-085606.jpg
Old 24 September 2021, 11:46 AM   #74
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch! Almost looks like the strap was pulled so hard it somehow took out the CF, but wow that would take some super strong springbars... like the sturdy ones that come with CF timepieces.

Old 24 September 2021, 12:06 PM   #75
IGotId
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow!
Old 24 September 2021, 02:30 PM   #76
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

F_klo, thanks for finding and posting these pictures. This is alarming. Can you tell us how exactly it happened? Were you wearing the watch and caught it on something? Strap change? Was a lot of force involved?
Thanks again!
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 03:01 PM   #77
PekWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

That is bad. I wonder why they have not fabricated somekind of metal insert around lug holes to strengthen the structure. Without it seems like poor design.
PekWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2021, 05:11 PM   #78
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing , it seems like the layers got delaminated due to loss in resin glue strength , either could be exposure to some harsh chemical or extreme temperature? Surely doesn't look like damaged from any force ?

Anyways its good to know material limitations... I would still choose to wear and own carbotech as its still really amazing to wear I like wearing all sorts of materials from Titanium , Ceramic , PM and all require different wrist awareness.
Old 24 September 2021, 07:43 PM   #79
f_klo
"TRF" Member

The delamination happened out of nowhere no signs of giving up prior. I also own APs Trulli and that watch im much more careful with since the carbon is much softer, so even after the replacement i still wear the carbotech daily because this case material is harder.
Old 24 September 2021, 08:20 PM   #80
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
The delamination happened out of nowhere no signs of giving up prior. I also own APs Trulli and that watch im much more careful with since the carbon is much softer, so even after the replacement i still wear the carbotech daily because this case material is harder.
That’s incredibly difficult for me to understand.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe you, but how can this just happen out of “nowhere”?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #81
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
That’s incredibly difficult for me to understand.

I’m not saying that I don’t believe you, but how can this just happen out of “nowhere”?
Well that's why his was replaced under warranty , probably a manufacturing defect , somewhere in the process some lapse or material quality provided by the supplier... Like its still very rare compared to the earlier BMG cracking issue which also seems resolved now.
Old 25 September 2021, 12:57 AM   #82
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PekWatchGuy View Post
That is bad. I wonder why they have not fabricated somekind of metal insert around lug holes to strengthen the structure. Without it seems like poor design.
it will not be necessary because panerai claims their carbotech material is stronger than steel.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2021, 08:45 AM   #83
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

My 1661 has had a few minor whacks, not a mark on it.

I like that a harder material is more scratch resistant, and I accept that harder material at some point will crack/chip.

Carbotech is a different beast with pros and cons.
roger.bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 08:14 AM   #84
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Spotted this on chrono 24, damage to back of lug:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/panerai/l...id21179822.htm
Old 28 October 2021, 10:18 AM   #85
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Weird, how did that happen? I like his condition of little to no wear. LOL

Old 28 October 2021, 10:24 AM   #86
roger.bolton
"TRF" Member

Indeed, it looks a little like the image posted by f_klo where some of the back of the lug has come away.

The condition comment is very suspect.
Old 28 October 2021, 05:42 PM   #87
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

It is hard to tell looking top down but something is going on. Is a layer of material on the lug corner missing? If so this is really worrisome.
Old 29 October 2021, 05:18 AM   #88
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Chrono24 timepiece above, contacted him and he was upfront about the chip. i kinda sorta tried being laid back-ish yet 'lightly' suggested he update the description and condition. He said he will.

Yeah, slow day here at work here i guess

Old 30 October 2021, 04:19 AM   #89
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

This carbotech lug weakness has me worried. How many of these are out there? How rare? I wear mine in the ocean all the time with the assumption the watch is tough as nails and strap system extremely secure. But now, if lug were to crack as we have seen, the watch would fall off. And this could happen at any time it appears…could be walking down the street.
Old 30 October 2021, 05:47 AM   #90
winst
"TRF" Member

Original OP - Not in that visible a place when worn and if he went over it with a pencil to give a light graphite coating that might make it a little less visible. I think it would only be worth getting Panerai to do something with it when it goes back to them for servicing one day.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote