The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2023, 02:34 PM   #1
bourgognebob
"TRF" Member

5205r/6119r - Better long term?

Wondering if you guys can help me out..

I have the option between the 5205r green dial and 6119r as my first Patek. The goal is to eventually get into maybe a nautilus but focus later on in life to move into grand complications.

My question is technically two:
1. Between the 6119r and 5205r, which do you think will be a better investment in the long term as I’ll probably sell it to pay for pieces in the future.
2. Which of the two would be a better piece to show off well roundedness later when I’m filling out applications for pieces like 5270p?
bourgognebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 06:35 PM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgognebob View Post

I have the option between the 5205r green dial and 6119r as my first Patek. The goal is to eventually get into maybe a nautilus but focus later on in life to move into grand complications.

1. Between the 6119r and 5205r, which do you think will be a better investment in the long term as I’ll probably sell it to pay for pieces in the future.
2. Which of the two would be a better piece to show off well roundedness later when I’m filling out applications for pieces like 5270p?

1. Neither. Both below retail I think and heading down
2. Not following

Seems like you’re just looking to buy for strategy to get something else and investment down the road. Do you like either one? Passionate about either one? Totally different watches. Seems like those should be criteria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Gva1985
"TRF" Member

Also the prices of the two watches are significantly different...The green 5205r is a really beautiful watch, more interesting than the basic Calatrava...Depends on your other watches in the collection, a complication should be a more substantial step towards what you really want which is a sports model. Just be aware that Patek does not like flippers and sports models are especially tricky to get with your current mentality/profile
Gva1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 08:22 PM   #4
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

I have the 5205-r and recently tried the 6119R. I think they are both great and can't go wrong with either but you may lose more ££ on the 5205-r?
Old 15 December 2023, 08:41 PM   #5
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
If you’re on a journey with Patek such that you want to eventually be getting application pieces, you’ll need both, or at least examples from both the Calatrava and annual/perpetual range. If you harbor doubts, spend less now (6117) and save the extra cash for future purchases. Hard to claw money back through resale with these if that’s a concern.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 08:52 PM   #6
bourgognebob
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone!

I’m leaning towards the 5205r bc I don’t have a green dial watch and this watch was definitely more appealing to me when I tried both on.

I do agree with you, SoylentGreenChi, on getting the 6119r instead as it’s less $ and less risk if things don’t work out with this AD (they made a big exception and took me on as a client even though I’m based in the US and they are in Switzerland).

It seems like neither will be a good long term investment/easy to get my money back later on so I should choose the one that I’d be happy with having long term… that means the 5205
bourgognebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 09:28 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

I’m leaning towards the 5205r bc I don’t have a green dial watch and this watch was definitely more appealing to me when I tried both on.

I do agree with you, SoylentGreenChi, on getting the 6119r instead as it’s less $ and less risk if things don’t work out with this AD (they made a big exception and took me on as a client even though I’m based in the US and they are in Switzerland).

It seems like neither will be a good long term investment/easy to get my money back later on so I should choose the one that I’d be happy with having long term… that means the 5205
Couple of thoughts...

1) Do you love 5205R green or was it just more appealing vs 6119R?

2) Have you checked with the Swiss AD on the possibility of getting a 5270P instead if that is the watch you really want?

These don't seem to sell like hot cake over here and I don't think they are application pieces either.

3) Are you confident the Swiss AD sees you as a long term customer with a view to selling you that 5270P and Nautilus down the road?

They might just want to sell one additional watch now whereas you want to start a "relationship". I am convinced my AD would be happy about any additional 6119R they can sell as those don't fly off the shelf in this part of the world.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2023, 10:58 PM   #8
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Sounds like 5205r is for you. However, I don't think 5270P is impossible as a first piece in this current market. It'll also set you on the right track to get some big pieces rather than 'starting from the bottom'
l_chissle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2023, 02:34 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

5270 is not an application piece. ADs probably gets one or two a year - as others have mentioned they don’t exactly fly off the shelves, just have to get a bit lucky.

I can see the 6119 doing better long term seems to be holding steady in the high 20s vs 5205 is trading at a 25-30% discount at least other versions of it. I like both equally.

But if you have almost a quarter million to spend on a 5270p, I would not worry about loosing 10k if you want to sell your first watch later. Buy what you love.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 07:43 AM   #10
Patekfinder
Banned

For long term value, the 5205 has bottomed at low to mid 40s. The 5205 basically was 42k on average from before covid through covid and after covid. It has reached the bottom of depreciation and if you buy it now for low 40s you can expect to hold it and sell in a few years and lose nothing.

The Calatrava in the other hand has an overly inflated MSRP double that of any equivalent previous Calatrava and will likely be sold well under retail once the hype cools off.

If you’re buying from an AD to establish a relationship then yea get the Calatrava you’ll lose less… you buy a 5205 from an AD you’ll take a 35-40k bath the second you walk out of the AD.

Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 01:07 AM   #11
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Did they tell you how lucky you were that they made a “big exception” taking you on as a client? Both watches are nice but can be easily had so I would work with a US AD that you can get some facetime with and buy the 5205R from them. Dropping 60K on a watch that ADs cant easily move will definitely get you in the right direction and on their radar. But if this is just a game to build purchase history en route to a sports model be ready to take some big losses along the way for the first 2-3 pieces to get there with no guarantees. Also, ADs expect these pieces to be kept. The idea of selling one to upgrade to another is not something they want to hear. Just my 2cents and good luck in choosing.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2024, 02:17 AM   #12
APhound
"TRF" Member

5205r/6119r - Better long term?

I tried going down that road with patek but cut my losses pretty quick.
Skip them both and just buy what you actually want.

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote