The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2018, 11:13 PM   #31
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I hate salesman who pose as technical experts (most bankers probably fall in this category)... but Musk isn't that.

Has a Wharton undergrad degree, but also a physics degree. skilled programmer, and is actively involved in engineering his products.

In terms of who pays for the ideas, he does because he is risking massive amounts of his equity
Not so sure all these are his ideas as much as they are ideas he likes.

His equity is nothing compared to the hard cash his investors have dropped on him. He’s been fired as CEO elsewhere and is getting close at Tesla. Getting super flakey on twitter doesn’t help his standing.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:15 PM   #32
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Not so sure all these are his ideas as much as they are ideas he likes.

His equity is nothing compared to the hard cash his investors have dropped on him. He’s been fired as CEO elsewhere and is getting close at Tesla. Getting super flakey on twitter doesn’t help his standing.
As a Tesla shareholder for me it's always a balance of and sometimes his antics are funny and other times I'm just
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:21 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

if he said it or not its becoming normal. The general tone from a lot of leadership position people is nothing short of awful. I hear worse on a daily basis from a lot of people who we are supposed to put on a pedestal. Not sure why Elon is being singled out. TBH, to me its a double standard to let the other stuff slide.

We need more decorum in general, but when people try to say polite things and follow general established rules of society people jump all over them for being too PC. So unless that changes that tells me this behavior is what people want and expect.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:27 PM   #34
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
if he said it or not its becoming normal. The general tone from a lot of leadership position people is nothing short of awful. I hear worse on a daily basis from a lot of people who we are supposed to put on a pedestal. Not sure why Elon is being singled out. TBH, to me its a double standard to let the other stuff slide.

We need more decorum in general, but when people try to say polite things and follow general established rules of society people jump all over them for being too PC. So unless that changes that tells me this behavior is what people want and expect.
It’s the new norm and for some reason I just can’t come to terms with it.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:30 PM   #35
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:

The caver is suing. This won’t be going away until Musk settles out of court for some undisclosed sum of money. The only question will be which of his companies will foot the bill.

FWIW, I work for a really large and massively successful corporation, where none of the executive leadership would even contemplate this type of drivel. Most companies are led by people who routinely contemplate the consequences to the organization of what they say in the public space. Musk apparently has no such reservation.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:34 PM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Frankly if he is being vilified for it all the much better. He’s wrong and he should be subject to whatever consequences there are for his actions. It’s a good starting point, it’s about time someone did. Life isn’t fair but we have to start somewhere.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 16 July 2018, 11:47 PM   #37
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
The caver is suing. This won’t be going away until Musk settles out of court for some undisclosed sum of money. The only question will be which of his companies will foot the bill.

FWIW, I work for a really large and massively successful corporation, where none of the executive leadership would even contemplate this type of drivel. Most companies are led by people who routinely contemplate the consequences to the organization of what they say in the public space. Musk apparently has no such reservation.

Exactly. Our company is not big, but as a leader I always think about how I represent us and any risks associated with any actions.
Seems some leaders today take no account of how their actions affect shareholders.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:54 PM   #38
Faddius
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD4k
At the end of the day this looks like the worst kind of defamation per se. Utterly reckless and inexcusable behaviour by a head of a public company and public personality. I hope he gets a good kicking in court and in public. If any other industry leader openly defamed someone they would be lucky to keep their job.
Faddius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 11:57 PM   #39
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Here is a compilation from e/MakerMuppetMaster of all the times he was creepy, strange, or rude

The British guy definitely has an open case for slander against Musk. I respect the guy for his innovation, but the more I see him, the more he appears to be a narcissistic thin skinned jackass with a huge ego.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 12:13 AM   #40
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Exactly. Our company is not big, but as a leader I always think about how I represent us and any risks associated with any actions.
Seems some leaders today take no account of how their actions affect shareholders.
Unfortunately there are quite a few examples where the financial motivation has gotten in the way of people making the right decision. In fact a good number of cases where it becomes how long can we cover this up because this person is just to important or necessary when it comes to our bottom line. In a lot of these cases it appears where the company is actually aware of and because they try to hide it they end up enabling the behavior to the point they are no longer capable of hiding it. In some cases however we’re not just talking a short period of time either.

So either way we’re talking money.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 July 2018, 01:19 AM   #41
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by christo4 View Post
In fairness to Elon, the Limey that stated it was a PR stunt also suggested the man stick it ...somewhere: Uncalled for. But really, if you weren't a 12 year old, you might not dignify schlock like that with a reaction. Doing so undermines the appearance of being the benevolent visionary you'd like common folks to think you are.
Na na na na na limey pedo grow up mate the guy was risking his life
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 02:07 AM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I admir(ed) Musk a lot, for his innovation, obviously his sucess, but mostly because he is trying to solve world probelms. Yes, he is getting very rich off of it, but I like his visions of houses having solar power with batteries, to reduce/eliminate the need for burning fossil fuels. The same with his cars. I think both men were wrong here. The british guy telling him to shove the submarine where the sun don’t shine was the first wrong. Maybe it was a ridiculous idea, I am no marine engineer so I have no idea, but it was an attempt to solve a problem and save lives, how can you denigrate a person for that? And Musk’s response was totally uncalled for, calling him a pedophile, completely uncalled for. I don’t know if it was done in a fit of frustration and anger, or if he is showing he is sick in the head, but the leader of a world corporation like Tesla should have shown more restraint even if he was very pissed off.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 03:56 AM   #43
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I admir(ed) Musk a lot, for his innovation, obviously his sucess, but mostly because he is trying to solve world probelms. Yes, he is getting very rich off of it, but I like his visions of houses having solar power with batteries, to reduce/eliminate the need for burning fossil fuels. The same with his cars. I think both men were wrong here. The british guy telling him to shove the submarine where the sun don’t shine was the first wrong. Maybe it was a ridiculous idea, I am no marine engineer so I have no idea, but it was an attempt to solve a problem and save lives, how can you denigrate a person for that? And Musk’s response was totally uncalled for, calling him a pedophile, completely uncalled for. I don’t know if it was done in a fit of frustration and anger, or if he is showing he is sick in the head, but the leader of a world corporation like Tesla should have shown more restraint even if he was very pissed off.
I have over 100 technical wreck dives and a dozen cave dives. A rigid cylinder big enough to house a person is not appropriate in confined overhead environments. It’s not a good idea at all. The head of the rescue told him that, but Musk insisted the guy wasn’t an expert (as if Musk is). Musk kept pushing until the caver told him off. Having lost the argument Musk accused the guy of being the worst kind of human. Typical BS you’d see in grade school lunch rooms.

BTW, all the ideas you say Musk promotes have been around for decades. Technology is just now catching up with those dreams, and the technology isn’t Musk’s. Musk is trying to cash in on those ideas, but it’s not like he innovated any of it.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:06 AM   #44
Theurbancommando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FWIW, Limey is an insult. Probably best not to use it to describe a Brit.
Actually it's not really an insult to us. I heard we got that tag due to our Royal Navy issuing limes with rations to help ward off scurvy when at sea a hundred years ago.
That Musk character is well out of order without a doubt. The guy should have just decked him TBH.
Theurbancommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 05:18 AM   #45
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Musk is going to go bust and take a lot of investors down with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 05:38 AM   #46
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
As a Tesla shareholder for me it's always a balance of and sometimes his antics are funny and other times I'm just
TSLA and Musk reminds me of...

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 05:42 AM   #47
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
TSLA and Musk reminds me of...