The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2018, 04:33 PM   #121
S/Z
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I'm 100% ok with this edit
S/Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 09:38 PM   #122
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Wow, this is a great thread.

My 116520 is my only watch. It was a special gift from my wife and has a lot of meaning for me. There are other watches that catch my eye and pique my interest, but I don’t think I’ve seen another watch yet that I would like more than the Daytona I already have. I wonder if I’ll end up being a one watch guy. Kind of like in this Talking Watches episode.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...illiam-massena

Thanks to the OP for posting and sharing. Sincerely hope that you figure it all out!
Thanks and it is great that you are happy. I think sometimes I get caught up in having a watch for various situations and soon those situation start to overlap. Then you end up with unworn watches.

So far I am down net two watches in the last year and feeling better.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 10:36 PM   #123
beshannon
"TRF" Member

I am continuing to consolidate, two more may go before the end of the year if I can get one I want.

Trying to find time and place to wear my watches is the biggest challenge. Also learning to let go has helped me tremendously.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 18 July 2022, 11:01 PM   #124
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I just noticed the date you started this thread......holy moly!

My mother used to say, not to be concerned with what other say or think. This was long before the internet. You have been influenced by the little screen way too much!

You love watches not doubt.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 11:12 PM   #125
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
I just noticed the date you started this thread......holy moly!

My mother used to say, not to be concerned with what other say or think. This was long before the internet. You have been influenced by the little screen way too much!

You love watches not doubt.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.....
Thanks.

Someone recently asked me about this post. While some things have changed, others have not. Yes I do need to take a break from the forum and I have been doing so over the last few months.

My collection continues to change and consolidate. I do love watches, what I am learning about myself is that I need to focus more on what I love and why I love it.

I have been getting better about this since making some changes and I am going to continue.
Old 18 July 2022, 11:29 PM   #126
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I am continuing to consolidate, two more may go before the end of the year if I can get one I want.

Trying to find time and place to wear my watches is the biggest challenge. Also learning to let go has helped me tremendously.
I am down to 4. I always look. But I am not thinking about buying. Not seriously anyway.

I am not even wearing a watch right now. I barely ever wear one. Will be going away for a week, in the future, and I won't even bring one.

I simply care less about them.

But I still love to talk about them. Even going with two buddies this week into the city to look. But unlikely to buy anything.

Weird.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 11:33 PM   #127
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
I'm on a waiting list to think about consolidating.
Old 18 July 2022, 11:36 PM   #128
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I am down to 4. I always look. But I am not thinking about buying. Not seriously anyway.

I am not even wearing a watch right now. I barely ever wear one. Will be going away for a week, in the future, and I won't even bring one.

I simply care less about them.

But I still love to talk about them. Even going with two buddies this week into the city to look. But unlikely to buy anything.

Weird.
I understand all too well.

The desire and interest are there but the reality is different. I am searching for one thing and then may be done for quite some time.
Old 19 July 2022, 12:18 AM   #129
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I lean towards judging "a lot" in relative terms, but as a stand alone assessment I would agree with the Mrs Beshannon the value appears very different.

couple of things that help me:
I work at keeping the collection on the smaller side as a control. (strive for 5)

I ask myself: is there something I had to do without, to own this watch?
if my answer is no, I move on. if my answer is yes, then the watch is gone.
Old 19 July 2022, 05:40 AM   #130
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Great post with some thoughtful perspectives. I, too, have simplified much of my life, to remove as much hassle and distraction as possible. I’m also getting there with watches and believe I could live perfectly well with just the explorer as my only watch. There’s a lot to be said for reducing choice in life to focus more on what really matters.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 05:43 AM   #131
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
Great post with some thoughtful perspectives. I, too, have simplified much of my life, to remove as much hassle and distraction as possible. I’m also getting there with watches and believe I could live perfectly well with just the explorer as my only watch. There’s a lot to be said for reducing choice in life to focus more on what really matters.
Thanks

While I could never have just one watch, I have fewer than when I first posted this and I am moving toward even less
Old 19 July 2022, 06:19 AM   #132
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I understand completely. I really hit my targets and grail. Lately, I am satisfied with my Apple watch, a Garmin, a Luminox. My good watches are locked away and I haven’t touched them in more than a month. My barber wants to buy my Bluesy. I don’t wear it and I may let him buy it.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 11:25 AM   #133
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I understand completely. I really hit my targets and grail. Lately, I am satisfied with my Apple watch, a Garmin, a Luminox. My good watches are locked away and I haven’t touched them in more than a month. My barber wants to buy my Bluesy. I don’t wear it and I may let him buy it.

I’m in a similar boat. I brought 5 watches in the RV with me to Montana. We are working on the family family Guest Horse Ranch until the end of August and I wear the Apple Watch daily. I’m not even thinking about watches much. I just surf the forums a bit to watch for any exciting news, but my interest is in nature up here, not watches.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 02:57 PM   #134
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I’m in a similar boat. I brought 5 watches in the RV with me to Montana. We are working on the family family Guest Horse Ranch until the end of August and I wear the Apple Watch daily. I’m not even thinking about watches much. I just surf the forums a bit to watch for any exciting news, but my interest is in nature up here, not watches.
Nature Rules! Watches in Nature... you can do that too... The Family guest ranch is going to be fantastic! How's the wine cellar coming along?

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 08:24 PM   #135
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Thanks for posting. Been feeling this for awhile!!
Old 19 July 2022, 08:45 PM   #136
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Agreed, except in my case I walk past them several times a day, the one in for service I do not miss at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Thanks for posting. Been feeling this for awhile!!
Old 19 July 2022, 11:46 PM   #137
Jets_fan44
"TRF" Member

Watch: And Learn
Hey Brian,

I just read thru this entire thread and found it quite therapeutic for the mind and soul.

Bravo on your priorities as well as your personal perspective on this hobby.

I feel this particular side of the "open discussion forum" is much better received than the other postings from the main "Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics".

Folks here are more mature in their mannerism in lieu of the bragging status on the other main discussion board.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good "flex" and brag here now and then, but a healthy show-and-tell is always welcomed - especially some grail wrist shots.

Truly lost is the art of timepiece collecting as I still see local elders in my neighborhood sporting very old classic small diameter DDs and DJs.

I spot them frequently and wonder how their timepiece came about and how long they've been wearing it.

They probably don't even care as it's probably just a their one and only Rolex watch that they've been wearing since inception.

I would inquire but I'd probably just end up spooking them and send them running for their lives or covering it up with the other hand.

Again, thank you fellow TRF folks that are not rude or cray-cray on this platform as I know some other TRF folks from what I've read have serious mental issues or addictions.

Best,
Jets_fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 12:29 AM   #138
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets_fan44 View Post
Hey Brian,

I just read thru this entire thread and found it quite therapeutic for the mind and soul.

Bravo on your priorities as well as your personal perspective on this hobby.

I feel this particular side of the "open discussion forum" is much better received than the other postings from the main "Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics".

Folks here are more mature in their mannerism in lieu of the bragging status on the other main discussion board.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good "flex" and brag here now and then, but a healthy show-and-tell is always welcomed - especially some grail wrist shots.

Truly lost is the art of timepiece collecting as I still see local elders in my neighborhood sporting very old classic small diameter DDs and DJs.

I spot them frequently and wonder how their timepiece came about and how long they've been wearing it.

They probably don't even care as it's probably just a their one and only Rolex watch that they've been wearing since inception.

I would inquire but I'd probably just end up spooking them and send them running for their lives or covering it up with the other hand.

Again, thank you fellow TRF folks that are not rude or cray-cray on this platform as I know some other TRF folks from what I've read have serious mental issues or addictions.

Best,
Thanks
Old 20 July 2022, 01:42 AM   #139
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I understand all too well.

The desire and interest are there but the reality is different. I am searching for one thing and then may be done for quite some time.
I am with you Brian.

Interest? Yup. Love watches and enjoy talking about them. I think I always will.

Desire? Yes, still there. But much more tempered the older I get. Ask myself, would I like that to have that watch? Yes, maybe for a day or a week or a month. But do I really want it enough to keep long term? And wear it long term? Usually a different answer.

And that brings us to reality. I think my current reality about watches is a combination of having been in this hobby a while, plus being tired of the hype of the past few years. We are all different, but for me, seeing someone flex a watch turns me off that watch. When someone tells me it is a great investment, it turns me off. When someone asks if it will get noticed by others, it turns me off. Sadly, that is much of the discussion today.

But then every now and then, someone like Padi will post a thoughtful historical or technical thread. And I remember how the hobby used to be.

Here's hoping we get back to more of that.
Old 1 August 2022, 09:51 PM   #140
Derpy33
"TRF" Member

For me… part of the reason I finally got into watches this year was to help push me to push myself further. I explored the car hobby thing and determine that I was not a car guy no matter how high up the totem pole I climbed.

The watches have lit a fuse for me. I’ve never been as driven/motivated. I was about ready to throw in the towel as there wasn’t really a bridge between comfortably living the rest of my days and.. yacht money? Watches are what I’ve plugged into the middle to the fire burning. I’m too young to be doing the Mai tai on the beach thing (30s)
Derpy33 is offline   Reply With Quote