The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2013, 03:42 AM   #1
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Ever feel like quitting the rat race and moving to an island? I do.

I was an ER doc for 26 years. In 2011, I was attacked by a patient, and I sustained a traumatic brain injury with subsequent cognitive deficits (brain damage.) I quit medicine altogether last year and did not renew my license this year. I have long-term disability income, but it won't last forever. I am 57 years-old, and I'm trying to decide whether to remain "retired" here in Minnesota, to start a second career doing who-knows-what, or to chuck it all and move to a nice island somewhere. Seriously.

Knowing that the TRF community is vast, varied and of all nationalities, I'm interested in your experiences and opinions. My questions are:

1) Have any of you given your corporate or business life the "heave-ho" and moved to the tropical paradise/country/setting of your dreams?

2) Given that ex-pats have driven up the cost of living in many countries, are you aware of any diamonds in the rough that seem to be undiscovered so far?

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 03:49 AM   #2
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
A friend of mine retired and built himself a house in Belize. He's going to expat there once his wife retires in a couple of years. It's a modest place, but tropical, he loves it.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 03:53 AM   #3
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Interesting career, very sad to hear you had to end it on such a note. Was this patient hopped up on goofenthal?

Can't help you much with your question, as I'm 20 years short of retirement....BUT....I have 38 years of experience in MN (LOL), so I can relate to your idea of moving to an island! I love MN, but the winters get to you right around late January to late February (like right now). if you have ties here, I think the perfect balance is to own a condo/townhouse here and one in a warm climate. If you have no ties/family here....I'd consider Central America....dollars go VERY far and the climate is perfect IMO.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 03:59 AM   #4
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO
Absolutely, faced a medical discharge myself, and I would do it in a heartbeat. Only thing stopping me is my daughter being 16 and not yet having completed her education. Once she's done, I'm hoping to be off.
ChuckFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:04 AM   #5
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Interesting career, very sad to hear you had to end it on such a note. Was this patient hopped up on goofenthal?
He wasn't high, just a sociopath and psychopath. He admitted to the police and psychiatrists that he tried to kill me but failed. Unfortunately, he spent six months in an Anoka psych hospital instead of being charged with second or third degree assault.
Old 8 February 2013, 04:13 AM   #6
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
He wasn't high, just a sociopath and psychopath. He admitted to the police and psychiatrists that he tried to kill me but failed. Unfortunately, he spent six months in an Anoka psych hospital instead of being charged with second or third degree assault.

6months? Unbelievable, but believable with our hugs and kisses justice system.

Ill be watching this thread, as I'm interested in people's responses. I have the same plan when I retire....and it gives me inspiration to keep contributing to my 401K.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:20 AM   #7
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
unbelievable Joey.

All I know is I am sure all the people you helped for over two decades are forever in your debt. One bad apple can effect your life in the future but can never effect all the lives you have touched in your past

Although I am only 24 and never worked in the corporate world, I think you have earned retirement from the rat race. I think you should considered getting on an island and enjoying your years rather than starting a second career. I think sometimes careers find you :)

A good friend of mine; a high school teacher of mine decided he was done with the rat race moved to hawaii. He ended up scuba diving everyday for enjoyment and eventually opened one of the most successful diving operations on the island.

I think one major change in your life can open the door to many more my friend

I hope you do what feels right and makes you happy Joey
perpetualman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:26 AM   #8
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
I tried "regular" jobs when I was young but that, a white picket fence, 2.4 kids, a lawnmower etc wasn't for me...

For the last eight years I've run my own business breeding and breaking horses after working in the industry for years before that. It's easy to look at my life and think it's pretty idilic and, to an extent, we encourage this image in our marketing and advertising, particularly using the Long-Haired Generals skill with a camera to paint things with a rosie glow.
The reality, when you're actually trying to make a living instead of "playing with ponies", is VERY different!!!

However, if you just want to drop out, kick back and do nothing I can understand the temptation after what you've been through. My tip for an undiscovered gem to emigrate to is Uruguay.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:29 AM   #9
Lisa
"TRF" Member

I wonder about access to healthcare, and general goods and services necessary to live comfortably.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:43 AM   #10
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
As you get older, you need to rely on others more and more, children can only help so much, if they are willing, and living in another country has it's trade off's. If my wife and I take off to Mexico or the Caribbean I'm terrified of something happening to me and leaving her to deal with the details and the dreck, then being alone in a foreign country. I think for us it sounds better than it really is.

It's a very personal decision and for me I think it's important that I get to pursue my interests and passions. I may retire someday, but I'll never stop working. Whether that means volunteering, taking classes, or doing minimum-wage work at a company I believe in or an industry I want to learn more about. Whatever it is Joey you have to find something that keeps you sharp and makes you use your brain. Keep digging, you'll find a new interest.

Move to Napa and learn to make wine, travel to San Diego and take up street art, try Texas and golf, Florida and conservation work. Keep digging my friend!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
My humble advice:

1- Find something that you love doing, regardless of income (being that money is of no concern).

2- Decide where you want to live.

3 - See if you can do what you love where you want to live.

4 - Write out the pro's and con's of moving.

5 - If the pro's outweigh the cons, then move.

I took these steps ten years ago when I decided th join the service. Haven't regretted one minute of it at all. Your brilliant, and can use your smarts to do whatever you want.
Old 8 February 2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Rodentman
Banned

I FEEL like quitting the rat race, but I cannot afford it. I TRY to not get aggravated at work and do the best I can until I can retire in 3 years, if I live that long. At least I have no desire to "move up" and the firm knows it. I'm ok with that.

Best of luck to you Joey whatever you decide to do!
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 04:58 AM   #13
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Joey..... Take me with you......

(I speak Spanish, you could use a translator!)
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 05:17 AM   #14
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Was just on holidays in a nice tropical place, and were talking with a retired couple and the owners of the Inn we stayed at, about this topic.
The retired couple do lots of travelling but only about 3 months at a time in any location.

Our conclusion was, If you live somewhere full time ( Mn or an island), it stops becoming paradise & special the longer you stay. You need have variety so that you can appreciate each location for what it is.
So, my 4 year plan will have me maintaining my home here, but doing some travelling to break up this place.

I will still work part time, partly for cash flow, partly for the contact with the staff, clients etc, partly to keep the body occupied with something other than watching sunsets.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 05:57 AM   #15
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Joey,

I'm "only" 31, I've been a business owner since 2003, although back then it wasn't on the scale of today. I'll hopefully be a business owner until the day I retire, and I hope to "onward" my business someday IF I'll have kids.

But to your question. When I'm 57, I hope I'll be close to retirement. My retirement years will not be spent in this freakin' cold.
I want to be somewhere warm. If you want huge bang for your buck, I would suggest looking at Asia. Real estate in Thailand for example is still very humane, price wise. But depends a bit on the location of course. But the Thai's are such awesome people.

I could imagine myself moving somewhere warm, and being somewhat semi-retired, as I would probably want something small to do.
Old 8 February 2013, 06:08 AM   #16
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Lots of great opinions, as I knew there would be. Thanks for the input.
Old 8 February 2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Lucky777
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Joey,

I have conid
Lucky777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 06:26 AM   #18
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I don't know. In a way I admire the adventure spirit of moving someplace totally different. While an island is something I enjoy on vacation to recharge the batteries but I'm not sure I'd like it so much as a lifestyle. I'd be a little concerned I might end up bored. YMMV of course.

If I lived in a cold climate I'd consider going "bi-coastal", and having a vacation home or rental somewhere nice during the winter.
Old 8 February 2013, 06:30 AM   #19
Lisa
"TRF" Member

What does your wife think?
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 06:35 AM   #20
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
The way my business is going (down the drain) I'll probably working until I die.......the closest I'm going to get to an island is Coney Island...at least I can get hot dogs there.
Old 8 February 2013, 06:56 AM   #21
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
What does your wife think?
She is entertaining all options. The only problem I could see for her would be distance from the daughters and grandson. Plus, we won't see many good hockey games in the tropics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
The way my business is going (down the drain) I'll probably working until I die.......
If your business is medicine, it's a long, slow flush down the toilet of managed care, "customer" satisfaction surveys and EMRs designed as billing systems. My conversations with docs and nurses over the past year indicate ever increasing dissatisfaction.
Old 8 February 2013, 07:01 AM   #22
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
I've got 20 more years of work. My hope is to have a nice condo as my getaway from our crappy winter/spring/fall weather. Going international adds too many complications for me. But the tropics does sound quite appealing...
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 07:05 AM   #23
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
If your business is medicine, it's a long, slow flush down the toilet of managed care, "customer" satisfaction surveys and EMRs designed as billing systems. My conversations with docs and nurses over the past year indicate ever increasing dissatisfaction.[/QUOTE]

Not a real doc (a nickname) just a small "bidnessman" struggling to keep my head above water....the govt. says small businesses help the economy, but we get no help from the govt.
I'll be racing w/ rats forever.
But if I could run away to an island (that's why I buy lotto tickets) it'll have to be New Caledonia in the South Pacific.
Old 8 February 2013, 07:17 AM   #24
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Sure, living abroad, as a senior might complicate things. At 57, one is still quite young, and I would always leave a "back door" open into my country. (Excellent health care, and I've paid for it! )

I'm not sure Thailand for example would be a great alternative once Eva and I are 90 years old.

Looking at my parents, they're retired and in their 60-ties, I'm sure they would enjoy living somewhere warm. But they are not that kind of people. Finland is their home.

Joey, I forgot to say in my first post, how sorry I am that this attack happened to you. ER doctors are IMO some of the most respectable people on this planet. And you do a job that probably is taken for granted most of the time.
Old 8 February 2013, 07:18 AM   #25
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
I have a standing agreement with the wife. When she says "when" we sell everything and do it. It's all her call.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 07:31 AM   #26
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
If your business is medicine, it's a long, slow flush down the toilet of managed care, "customer" satisfaction surveys and EMRs designed as billing systems. My conversations with docs and nurses over the past year indicate ever increasing dissatisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Not a real doc (a nickname) just a small "bidnessman" struggling to keep my head above water....the govt. says small businesses help the economy, but we get no help from the govt.
I'll be racing w/ rats forever.
But if I could run away to an island (that's why I buy lotto tickets) it'll have to be New Caledonia in the South Pacific.
A small "bidnessman" who knows his movie quotes!!! That's for sure!!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 07:37 AM   #27
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

The Long-Haired General and I are standing at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. We are "only" in our mid 30's so earning a living is still very much a consideration.

The business has been hemoraging money for a couple of years now. The economy and the weather have been major factors in this but these are both things over which we have no control. We are as happy as we can be that we are doing everything in our power "right" but we are just hoping for money to start flowing in the country and the sun to shine.

The question is do we quit now and get out with enough behind us to make a new start in another country but with the risk we miss out on reaping a reward for what we've done if things improve...
Or do we keep going indefinitely. If things improve we'd be in clover since we have certainly learned a lot in these lean times about how to minimise expenses and maximise income. If the recession continues, though, by the time we are "forced" to quit there'd be nothing left to give us a new start.

If we do move it will probably be to somewhere with a climate similar to where you are at the moment. We both love "seasons" cold winters, hot summers and would probably look at somewhere alpine or Nordic.

I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it but I'm honestly considering flipping a coin!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Old 8 February 2013, 07:44 AM   #28
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
The Long-Haired General and I are standing at a bit of a crossroads at the moment. We are "only" in our mid 30's so earning a living is still very much a consideration.

The business has been hemoraging money for a couple of years now. The economy and the weather have been major factors in this but these are both things over which we have no control. We are as happy as we can be that we are doing everything in our power "right" but we are just hoping for money to start flowing in the country and the sun to shine.

The question is do we quit now and get out with enough behind us to make a new start in another country but with the risk we miss out on reaping a reward for what we've done if things improve...
Or do we keep going indefinitely. If things improve we'd be in clover since we have certainly learned a lot in these lean times about how to minimise expenses and maximise income. If the recession continues, though, by the time we are "forced" to quit there'd be nothing left to give us a new start.

If we do move it will probably be to somewhere with a climate similar to where you are at the moment. We both love "seasons" cold winters, hot summers and would probably look at somewhere alpine or Nordic.

I don't know if I'd have the balls to do it but I'm honestly considering flipping a coin!
Only you can weight this up Mark. What else would you do?

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

My quote from Batman is not helping is it.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 07:52 AM   #29
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Only you can weight this up Mark. What else would you do?

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

My quote from Batman is not helping is it.

"What else would I do...?"
We've discussed this...

We'd live in a beach hut and I'd earn money from tourists drinking shots of whisky while balancing a scorpion on the back of my hand!

Old 8 February 2013, 07:55 AM   #30
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post

"What else would I do...?"
We've discussed this...

We'd live in a beach hut and I'd earn money from tourists drinking shots of whisky while balancing a scorpion on the back of my hand!
Sounds nice Mark.