The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2013, 07:56 AM   #31
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post

"What else would I do...?"
We've discussed this...

We'd live in a beach hut and I'd earn money from tourists drinking shots of whisky while balancing a scorpion on the back of my hand!
Plus I'm sure the stipend from Heineken, Omega and Sony would help nicely too
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 08:03 AM   #32
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I'm 56 and don't ever plan to retire. I'm a dentist, and have seen many a patient decline after retirement, mentally and physically. Maybe you could restructure you life and practice. I work 3.5 days a week and play golf 3 days a week. I worked long and hard before I got here. For the future (and my sanity) I think I can keep up this pace for a long time. I don't know what kind of deal you struck with your disability insurance, but maybe you could start a small family practice, slow paced, etc. The future for medicine does not look all that bright. You could differentiate yourself. I think folks like me would love to go to a slow-paced practitioner that had time to talk to patients. That's how I run my office, one patient at a time. My patients love it. Then buy a condo in a pleasant part of the country that you like to visit. Conserve your money and take control. Good luck Joey
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 08:35 AM   #33
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
I'm 56 and don't ever plan to retire. I'm a dentist, and have seen many a patient decline after retirement, mentally and physically. Maybe you could restructure you life and practice. I work 3.5 days a week and play golf 3 days a week. I worked long and hard before I got here. For the future (and my sanity) I think I can keep up this pace for a long time. I don't know what kind of deal you struck with your disability insurance, but maybe you could start a small family practice, slow paced, etc. The future for medicine does not look all that bright. You could differentiate yourself. I think folks like me would love to go to a slow-paced practitioner that had time to talk to patients. That's how I run my office, one patient at a time. My patients love it. Then buy a condo in a pleasant part of the country that you like to visit. Conserve your money and take control. Good luck Joey
Academics isn't a bad way to go, either.

My dad retired from dentistry well into his seventies. He kept working hard after that with gardening and taking care of his acreage. I have a picture of him on his tractor with his brush hog, mowing the place - at age 86.

My father in law retired from orthodontics in his sixties, but stayed on as a part time professor at the dental school for more than a decade after that. He's now in his eighties; a professor emeritus, but spends his time with his favorite hobby - railroad history. He and his wife travel quite a bit; always by car as he will not fly. They have a good life.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 09:05 AM   #34
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
... I think folks like me would love to go to a slow-paced practitioner that had time to talk to patients. That's how I run my office, one patient at a time. My patients love it...

That's how my GP is. She doesn't keep a hectic schedule and we often chat for an hour or more before telling me my BP is too high.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 09:12 AM   #35
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
I would be happy to move somewhere that isn't cold for 8months a year.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 10:55 AM   #36
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Joey,
very sorry to hear about your situation, hope your recovery is as good as it can be. While I like living in Hawaii, it is expensive to here, especially if on just a retirement income. Of course, depending on what the range of that income is, one could make it here. On the other hand, if I was looking for a tropical retirement I would research Panama. It is very close to the US, the US Dollar is their currency, they have a good expat retirement program, immigration rules are easy, and its cheaper than most tropical places. Good luck in where ever you choose to go and whatever you choose to do. Aloha, Tim in Hawaii
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 11:06 AM   #37
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Malaysia and Thailand both have over 50 retirement visa programs.

Both are warm and slow paced.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 01:16 PM   #38
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Ecuador or Panama, keep hearing about both for expat Americans. And I would love to contemplate getting out of this weather. Early February is always the hardest.
Old 8 February 2013, 01:36 PM   #39
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
Was just on holidays in a nice tropical place, and were talking with a retired couple and the owners of the Inn we stayed at, about this topic.
The retired couple do lots of travelling but only about 3 months at a time in any location.

Our conclusion was, If you live somewhere full time ( Mn or an island), it stops becoming paradise & special the longer you stay. You need have variety so that you can appreciate each location for what it is.
So, my 4 year plan will have me maintaining my home here, but doing some travelling to break up this place.

I will still work part time, partly for cash flow, partly for the contact with the staff, clients etc, partly to keep the body occupied with something other than watching sunsets.
Spot on.......
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 01:38 PM   #40
johnny80s
"TRF" Member

I say go for it. Found this and plan to enjoy it with my better half. I need to make up for all the long days of not being home, missed hoildays, and weekends because of the "Rat Race." Just counting down a few more years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture-uh=c154ceb871407ab8b81bb1b112867f35-ps=15352f40f1c39fd9bcbdaa20ceed9040.jpg (9.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg az17.jpg (45.6 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg az24.jpg (22.5 KB, 286 views)
johnny80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 02:30 PM   #41
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
You can't just start a family practice after being an ER doc (unless Joey Chitwood was a FM trained doc who got grandfathered into EM in the old days).
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 03:09 PM   #42
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Malaysia and Thailand both have over 50 retirement visa programs.

Both are warm and slow paced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Ecuador or Panama, keep hearing about both for expat Americans. And I would love to contemplate getting out of this weather. Early February is always the hardest.
I lived in a remote part of the Yucatan Peninsula for a while when I was a teenager, must admit, there were some very attractive parts of living the Jimmy Buffet life. My only concern about retireing overseas somewhere is the healthcare. I'm pretty healthy, but 25 years from now, when I'm in my mid-70s, who knows?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 03:12 PM   #43
ChuckFinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO
Great thread, as someone only 45yrs old in a similar position to the OP, just wish my starting point was the USA, not the UK, which would make a decision so much easier.

Good points re decline once you stop, my dad worked his guts out till mid 70's, then a forced retirement saw him decline very quickly mentally.

I'd aim for a compromise, work, but doing something you want to, not have to, and probably p/t not full time.
ChuckFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 08:50 PM   #44
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Hey Joey, I think depending on your resources, Sout America is worth looking at! However, being American, you have the luxury of having some beautiful warm places to live on the main land! Puerto Rico is a nice place as well! An interesting show my wife and I watch that may give you some insight into moving to foreign places and their cost is House hunters international! Not sure if you get it where you are however, it takes couples who want to relocate (various places around the world) and they are shown 3 different pieces of realestate and the costs of doing so. The show is very interesting and may give you some great ideas as to the cost associated with such a move and the culture
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2013, 11:40 PM   #45
69mach351
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Quote:
This. My first job out of school was with a very successful company that was owned by a man in his mid 90's. Everyday, he came to work around 9 and would leave around 3 or 4. He sat on a lot of boards and did a lot of charity work. You don't have to push yourself to the limit everyday, but go hard enough to keep sharp.

As for dropping it all and living on an island. I know one guy that did that and was quite successful for what he did. I don't think I ever could do that. 10 days or so is more than enough for me at this point in my life. It is a lot different lifestyle all around.
69mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 12:18 AM   #46
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Hello Joey sorry to read this sad news . . .

Actually you're really lucky that you are still alive . . . amazing . . . and he only got 6 months . . . :-(

Regarding an Island . . . maybe visit several for a longer period before you move . . .

As you know we are busy with relocating to CA . . . and there is so much involved . . . all the paperwork to get the Visa, etc . . .

But as as mentioned . . . Belize . . . seems to be really nice . . . and the Island has some other advantages as well

And it's not that far from MN . . less the 2000 miles . . .

Good luck

HAGWe

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 12:20 AM   #47
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Maybe, Boracay Island, Philippines. Definitely the most beautiful place I've ever been, maybe even more than Koh Chang, Thailand(about 30 clicks from the Cambodian line), which is wonderful too. The Philippines in general would be very difficult because of the massive poverty, violence..but Boracay is a different story. Fly to Manila, stay in the airport if you can, fly out to Caticlan or other airport nearby, van to wooden outrigger, and voila! you're there in about 23 hours(or so)...
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 12:40 AM   #48
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I'm planning to sell off everything and travel with my wife. I'll pick up a condo in FL as a home base but my intent is to spend 6 months of every year staying in a new country where the cost of living is lower. That should satisfy our need for adventure/travel while staying close to the kids. Now if I can just survive the years until then!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 12:59 AM   #49
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Hi Joey,

Why don't you do what half the state of Mn's retired do and snowbird to Az? Get a nice condo or townhouse for the winter and enjoy your beautiful lake home the other 8 months or so?

Can't say as I would ever want to live on an island away from the world particularly being gone from the kids, future grandkids for an extended amount of time. A few months a year sure but not year round.

Perhaps you can utilize your medical skill set in another area and continue to work even on a part time basis? Medical sales, manufactures rep etc?

Can't believe that A Hole only got 6 months but given MN soft legal system, not a shocker!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 12:59 AM   #50
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Again, thanks for all of the great replies. An alternate practice is not really an option. I have short term memory problems due to the head injury, plus I don't know anything except Emergency Medicine. I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out what a slightly damaged unlicensed EM doc can do when he grows up. It's hard to think that after 33 years of school and practice, I don't have any transferable skills.

I've watched HH International. I am always amazed that American ex-pats generally have no idea they can't get a 3,000 square foot apartment with a yard and garage in downtown Paris for $1,200 a month.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 01:24 AM   #51
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Academics isn't a bad way to go, either.

My dad retired from dentistry well into his seventies. He kept working hard after that with gardening and taking care of his acreage. I have a picture of him on his tractor with his brush hog, mowing the place - at age 86.

My father in law retired from orthodontics in his sixties, but stayed on as a part time professor at the dental school for more than a decade after that. He's now in his eighties; a professor emeritus, but spends his time with his favorite hobby - railroad history. He and his wife travel quite a bit; always by car as he will not fly. They have a good life.
That's great Lisa, you have a lot of dental history. It's a stressful job but we (unlike or medical brethren) still call most of the shots. I thought you had a nice smile
Old 9 February 2013, 01:26 AM   #52
lhanddds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
That's how my GP is. She doesn't keep a hectic schedule and we often chat for an hour or more before telling me my BP is too high.
That's great. People are dying for this (no pun intended).
Old 9 February 2013, 01:47 AM   #53
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
I'm also in the medical professional, have been practicing for 20+ years. I got into it for the love of caring and getting to know people. The changes that have occurred in the last twenty years are sad. I'm in a large practice, there is now no time to get to know the patient and people are rushed in and out like cattle. Granted I'm a optometrist and not dealing with life and death situations, but I miss the fact I can't really get to know someone. That was the main reason for starting to do what I do. I still give the best service I can, but it's very sterile and rushed. That's not to say I'm rushing them or rude, it's just more of a non-social atmosphere. Not to mention all the hoops and problems regarding insurances and medicare. Whole different story, won't bore you.
So needless to say the medical professional has changed so much since the time I started. I need to either scale way back and make it more personable, or completely leave the profession. With that being said, I have two daughters about ready to go off to college. Wherever they end up will have a huge bearing on where my wife and I end up. Our goal is to spend the 7-8 months with them and 5-4 months somewhere tropical . We love the beach and warm weather. However like someone said before on here, if you live there all the time it may become less of a paradise. So we will choose to bounce back and forth as long as we can.....Just my .02...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 02:19 AM   #54
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Some pics of Boracay:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3767.jpg (113.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3915.jpg (111.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3978.jpg (99.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4083.jpg (84.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4154.jpg (125.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 9 February 2013, 02:23 AM   #55
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Some pics of Boracay:

My new front yard.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 02:30 AM   #56
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I quit the rat race, by a super stroke of luck, but I have no desire to live on an island.

Albuquerque suits me just fine, but I manage my goings and comings in such a way that my interaction with those running the maze is kept to a minimum.

I avoid the rush hours when I'm driving and do an awful lot of my shopping late at night.

It's not perfect, but it has worked fine for me.

Even when I worked, I preferred graveyard shifts, because I was always going in the opposite direction as everyone else and when I was asleep everyone else was at work and when I was at work, everyone else was asleep.

The world is a much more pleasant place that way.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 03:21 AM   #57
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
My experience with island vacations is the food is not great. I have a colleague who retired and bought a farm in Uruguay. From the pictures I've seen it looks nice. Another colleague started an alpaca farm. Another, a landscaping business. Personally, I would buy a metal detector and get out there hunting!
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 03:48 AM   #58
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
I think if I were to pick up and go, I'd head to Ireland, particularly Connemara. I think I would raise sheep perhaps. I've been in IT for almost 20 years. It's a career that pays the bills, I'm pretty good at, but I don't enjoy too much anymore. I guess you could say I work to live. I have a while to go.. A long ways off from retirement.
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 04:30 AM   #59
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Interesting thread, I think I can relate to both points.

I punted the rat race when I left the East Coast and moved to the Rocky Mountains.

Quality of life, quality of life, and quality of life is our motto. I learned that from my clients, when I moved to Colorado after college. I played my cards right; I busted my behind for 20 years with the ups and downs, but now we live at the Beach and have a place in mountains.

If I'm not working, we're either surfing in the ocean, on our mountain bikes, or climbing/skiing down a mountain. Surfing, skiing, and mountain biking is my rat race. Funny...Only a couple of our neighbors know that I'm a principal for an energy company, others think I'm a drug dealer or unemployed.

Island fever gets old after awhile, even on Bali.

Living on an island isn't a vacation all the time. I'm fortunate enough to be bi-lingual able to live in two cultures. My business, my life, my citizenship, is here in The States, but I'm also local in Bali. I love being able to putt around the island as an undisturbed local. With all the growth we've seen on Bali, I love the fact I can still walk to the same Cafe my grandfather used to take me to for breakfast 40 years ago.

With that said, island fever can still get to you -- which is why most of us have left. We have kept a couple of properties on the island (developed some villas to rent out Western tourist), but much of my family is between Jakarta and Singapore or here in The States.

I took my fiancé back last year for a "locals" surf trip and see family in Bali, Jakarta and Singapore. I had her in places where she was the only Westerner. Needless to say, she had a blast.

Eat, Pray, Love...there is so more to Bali than a movie.

Sunset from our place in Ubud and a monkey from Uluwatu. Both pictures...no photoshop, real colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03189.jpg (56.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (35.3 KB, 184 views)

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2013, 05:03 AM   #60
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
My new front yard.

I had a friend who was an ER doc and left for Japan(where I'm not sure), and after less than one year, he determined that what was bothering him was NOT the U.S. rat race, it was any rat race, anywhere. He left the practice of medicine about 10 years ago, opened a great bar in Bangkok, and lives happily ever after(at last check).....