The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 February 2013, 07:36 AM   #61
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1787 View Post
I think if I were to pick up and go, I'd head to Ireland, particularly Connemara. I think I would raise sheep perhaps. I've been in IT for almost 20 years. It's a career that pays the bills, I'm pretty good at, but I don't enjoy too much anymore. I guess you could say I work to live. I have a while to go.. A long ways off from retirement.
Connemara is absolutely beautiful, and I love going there whenever possible (I live in Belfast, N. Ireland). However, it is a very expensive place and being a farmer in the EU is not a stress-free life.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 07:58 AM   #62
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarajevo View Post
being a farmer in the EU is not a stress-free life.
You're damn straight it's not!

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 12:17 PM   #63
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Dear Joey

I can relate to your post.

I live in the Fiji Islands. Hope you guys know this place. Um... "Fiji Water" anyone :)

Well I used be a lawyer in the rat race, but packed it up and left for Fiji to run my own little practise and live the island life. I have had a blast.

I think you could be a GP here in Fiji. I know nothing about medicine, but I'm sure you could get registered here and put around a few days a week checking the usual minor aches and pains, paracetamol scrips and so forth. Then the balance of the week, just play golf, go fishing and chill like the rest of us.

I have no desire to be a part of the rat race. I have attended enough funerals to know that no one cares once you are 6 feet under. Make your money, get a free zero mortgage home, build a mean watch collection, surround yourself with positive vibes and good friends/family.

Sorry to hear about your assault man. Life can really throw a spanner in the works.

God bless ER Docs.

Cheers, Don
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 12:32 PM   #64
leica
"TRF" Member

I'm feeling like it now and I'm only 31. Haha
Old 10 February 2013, 01:36 PM   #65
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Another vote for Ecuador.........

Mark.....

We have a place in Quito, Ecuador, and I would certainly be happy to chat with you about it. Healthcare is surprisingly good, if you know where to go, and if you can believe it, a reasonable health insurance policy can be had for $30-$50/month. I went their late 90's to provide all the forensic medical work, with regard to an airplane crash, and became very tight with the healthcare community as well as the government. Met my wife while there, got the condo, and actually lived there for a number of years, on and off, while working up that piece of litigation, as well as a few others that happened to come along.

They are "Dollarized" in Ecuador, as well, which means they have adopted US Dollars as their currency, which makes it very easy for an American to retire there, and access their money still in a US Bank. Feel free to PM me, if you want to chat, and we can even set up a time for you and your wife, and my wife and I, to fly out. We can put you up (we have a 2500 sq ft condo) and show you around.

And as we have already spoken about, I'm sorry that you have had to endure this whole situation. Again, feel free to PM should you wish to chat more or if I can be of any help in the future.

Nathan

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 02:07 PM   #66
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarajevo View Post
Connemara is absolutely beautiful, and I love going there whenever possible (I live in Belfast, N. Ireland). However, it is a very expensive place and being a farmer in the EU is not a stress-free life.
I agree! Every time we go to Ireland we always manage to pass through Connemara for a few days. We always wind up at Lowry's in Clifden at one point or another for a pint.

We did look at some real estate listings last time we went over and I agree, it is rather expensive! I can imagine being a farmer is certainly not stress-free.. but probably beats sitting in a cubicle all day. I'm not quite sure what I would do if I changed careers to something totally different. I'm not sure what else I would be good at that could sustain a living
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 03:12 PM   #67
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
[QUOTE=joeychitwood;3933746]I was an ER doc for 26 years. In 2011, I was attacked by a patient, and I sustained a traumatic brain injury with subsequent cognitive deficits (brain damage.) I quit medicine altogether last year and did not renew my license this year. I have long-term disability income, but it won't last forever. I am 57 years-old, and I'm trying to decide///

Yes. Move on after 23 years as a DOC I'm guessing you have a tidy savings...
IF not then see you in the ER...

Why would anyone keep working in a stressful job if they didn't have to...That in my opinion is NOT what life is all about. I'm sure the sane among us agree.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 03:58 PM   #68
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
Mark.....

We have a place in Quito, Ecuador, and I would certainly be happy to chat with you about it. Healthcare is surprisingly good, if you know where to go, and if you can believe it, a reasonable health insurance policy can be had for $30-$50/month. I went their late 90's to provide all the forensic medical work, with regard to an airplane crash, and became very tight with the healthcare community as well as the government. Met my wife while there, got the condo, and actually lived there for a number of years, on and off, while working up that piece of litigation, as well as a few others that happened to come along.

They are "Dollarized" in Ecuador, as well, which means they have adopted US Dollars as their currency, which makes it very easy for an American to retire there, and access their money still in a US Bank. Feel free to PM me, if you want to chat, and we can even set up a time for you and your wife, and my wife and I, to fly out. We can put you up (we have a 2500 sq ft condo) and show you around.

And as we have already spoken about, I'm sorry that you have had to endure this whole situation. Again, feel free to PM should you wish to chat more or if I can be of any help in the future.

Nathan

Nathan. This is good stuff. This is what is cool and soulful about this Forum.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 07:45 PM   #69
Andad

Watch: A few.
Nice gesture Nathan and just what I expected from you.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2013, 11:08 PM   #70
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Nice gesture Nathan and just what I expected from you.
Wooow Nathan

HAGWe all

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 01:07 AM   #71
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
Mark.....

Nathan
Thanks, Nathan. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. And your offer to meet there is beyond kind and generous. I will certainly do some research on the area. Today, I am sitting in my sun room looking out at the lake while a blizzard rages. We're expecting a foot of snow and 45 mph winds. If this isn't a day to dream of warmer pastures, I don't know what would be.

On the good side, last night we watched the St. Cloud State Huskies defeat the #1 ranked University of Minnesota Gophers in WCHA hockey. I'd miss the games tremendously.....
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 06:06 AM   #72
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Did not win the Calif. super lotto last night, still here, no island for me......maybe 1000 island dressing on my salad at lunch.
Old 11 February 2013, 07:22 PM   #73
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Does Australia count as an island?
Old 11 February 2013, 09:45 PM   #74
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Does Australia count as an island?
No it does not, but of it's any consolation it does count as a paradise.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 12:34 AM   #75
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
Did not win the Calif. super lotto last night, still here, no island for me......maybe 1000 island dressing on my salad at lunch.
It's a start Bob . . .

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 04:53 AM   #76
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

On second thought, why would a guy want to leave this snowy paradise?

Old 12 February 2013, 05:17 AM   #77
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post

You said it!

You've got the environment I dream of... Cold winter, nice summer.

If you move somewhere tropical you won't get real seasons and, speaking for myself, I'd hate not to have a bit of a rhythm to the year. That said I'd rather have year long sun than the year round wet cold I've been having here for the last three years or so...

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 05:48 AM   #78
Rodentman
Banned

I was watching a "housing" show last night on HGTV. A couple was looking to buy a home in Hawaii. They showed a 1400 sf home on Maui for 560k, up "in the hills." They said it was cooler up there and it could get down into the low 50's in the winter.

Broke my heart.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 06:16 AM   #79
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
My wife and I think about it daily. One of our favorite shows is "House Hunters International." If we can figure it out, we're going to give it a try.
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 06:56 AM   #80
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:

Then Joey, i have the answer for you....FINLAND
did you know Finland has 180,000 islands
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 07:09 AM   #81
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRV View Post
Then Joey, i have the answer for you .... FINLAND did you know Finland has 180,000 islands
My middle daughter lived there (in Turku) for two years and loved it. She has friends with a summer cabin in the archipelago. Of course, they winter in southern Spain....
Old 12 February 2013, 11:15 AM   #82
77T

Maybe serenity is closer than you think.

Winter, plus being recently retired, can lead to much soul-searching. We all have felt the urge to get away. But one part of us is conflicted in the sense that "getting away" itself is both desirable and undesirable.

The desirable part is easy to get - romanticism of the faraway peaceful place. The undesirable is the unintended impact on the rest of your life - family, friends, customs, culture, etc.

Hope you find the balance you seek - I see the quest being different - more metaphysical than a physical journey.

If you don't think me a jerk, please consider reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" with an emphasis on avoiding frustration and dissatisfaction with the current circumstances.

And BTW, thanks for your many years saving lives in a high-pressure profession

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 11:56 AM   #83
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Maybe serenity is closer than you think.

Winter, plus being recently retired, can lead to much soul-searching. We all have felt the urge to get away. But one part of us is conflicted in the sense that "getting away" itself is both desirable and undesirable.

The desirable part is easy to get - romanticism of the faraway peaceful place. The undesirable is the unintended impact on the rest of your life - family, friends, customs, culture, etc.

Hope you find the balance you seek - I see the quest being different - more metaphysical than a physical journey.

If you don't think me a jerk, please consider reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" with an emphasis on avoiding frustration and dissatisfaction with the current circumstances.

And BTW, thanks for your many years saving lives in a high-pressure profession
Thanks, Paul. "Zen..." is one of my all-time favorite books, but it has been years since I read it. I'll do so again.
Old 12 February 2013, 01:21 PM   #84
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Quote:
Again, thanks for all of the great replies. An alternate practice is not really an option. I have short term memory problems due to the head injury, plus I don't know anything except Emergency Medicine. I am spending a lot of time trying to figure out what a slightly damaged unlicensed EM doc can do when he grows up. It's hard to think that after 33 years of school and practice, I don't have any transferable skills.

I've watched HH International. I am always amazed that American ex-pats generally have no idea they can't get a 3,000 square foot apartment with a yard and garage in downtown Paris for $1,200 a month.
My brother lives in Ecuador, Puerto Cayo to be exact, and his home was actually featured on HH International (It's all completely rigged by the way). What's not rigged is you can live very well down there on the cheap. He's 11 years my senior which makes him 43 and to say we aren't on the same page with that whole scenario would be an understatement. He's not alone though, as there are quite a few American's, Brits, and Australians in his general vicinity. Even more in the more populated areas such as Guayaquil or Cuenca.

I always envisioned myself retiring early. Why? I'm not sure. I guess because I figured that's just what one did after he or she had more than they could ever spend. But then I spoke with a mentor who sold his business and retired at the age of 39. He's now in his mid-fifties and regrets it even though he walked with a check for $14 mil. He had to sign a non-compete clause and watched as his business/"baby" was run into the ground. Around the same time he relayed his story to me another individual made the suggestion of getting a calendar and filling it out with what you'd actually do in retirement... I didn't get through the first week. I suppose the same drive that gets one to the point they can retire early usually makes them question it. I do travel often though, because between employees and customers I'd go insane in my seasonal business if I didn't get away. I think everyone should that has the burdens associated with being "in demand".

The main thing to keep in mind with anywhere like this is that they are indeed third world countries and there's a mentality there that's just hard for just about anyone raised here to conform to. Poverty is rampant. Police, politicians, they can all be bought which isn't quite as glamorous as it sounds. Squatters holed up in an empty house next to my brother and paid off the electrical company to bypass the meter while they set up a bar and restaurant... OUT OF A HOUSE! Until my brother went and bribed the mayor who then had to pay off the police chief with part of his proceeds, nothing happened. But, he lives on the ocean and has a nice house he paid about $35k for. It takes very little for him to live and they have a rather carefree lifestyle for the time being. I guess it's all in what you personally want.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2013, 01:41 PM   #85
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Knowing that the TRF community is vast, varied and of all nationalities, I'm interested in your experiences and opinions. My questions are:

1) Have any of you given your corporate or business life the "heave-ho" and moved to the tropical paradise/country/setting of your dreams?
Hi, sorry to hear about what happened to you. But in my country, the Philippines, especially where I'm from in Davao, I see a lot of expats of all races: Belgian, Dutch, German, some americans etc...living here. I know a few of them. They like that their dollar goes a long way here. I have a friend who spends his summers here and just drinks all day in the beach. I have another friend who's putting up a business here purely from his pension fund. I also know of a doctor who stopped practicing but put up a pharmaceutical company here and is doing quite well.

However, this is a 3rd world country. Stuff is cheap but you don't have the same amenities. There are also a lot of horror stories of foreigners being taken advantage of by their "wives" or local contacts. I know of a guy who lost his business to his wife who's a local.

Quote:
2) Given that ex-pats have driven up the cost of living in many countries, are you aware of any diamonds in the rough that seem to be undiscovered so far?

A good place to start are areas where there alre already existing communities you can touch base with and show you the ropes, so to speak.

My sister lives in Costa Rica and she's pretty well adjusted there. They have great medical facilities there and quite a few expats already.

Thailand is similar to the Philippines but better organized.

Anyway, best of luck!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12 February 2013, 02:43 PM   #86
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
My middle daughter lived there (in Turku) for two years and loved it. She has friends with a summer cabin in the archipelago. Of course, they winter in southern Spain....
Of course I guess they don't like driving a snow plow
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 12:23 AM   #87
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
No it does not, but of it's any consolation it does count as a paradise.
Old 13 February 2013, 12:47 AM   #88
Rodentman
Banned

I considered retiring to Tucson, where I used to live. Only problem is that my PIA brother lives there.

I think about higher elevtions in AZ, 5-6k feet, or parts of NM.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2013, 02:02 AM   #89
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I was an investment banker for 25 years. I retired a couple of years ago. After a while, I got tired of playing golf and hanging out. I even went to the islands for a month. It was nice but I got bored and suffered from 'island fever' pretty quickly. I would suggest picking up a hobby and/or volunteering...like a coach, teacher or mentor. You can still be productive and look forward to vacations and time away.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 16 July 2018, 09:40 AM   #90
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Ecuador or Panama, keep hearing about both for expat Americans. And I would love to contemplate getting out of this weather. Early February is always the hardest.

Ecuador sounds very interesting price wise. Appear to be huge real estate values.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote