The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2018, 12:01 AM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Watches leave me feeling sad lately

Sorry, long rant incoming . . .

I have been feeling this way on and off for years. The current internet obsession with prices, grey dealers, lack of stock and faux investment thoughts has me questioning my love for mechanical watches. The need for some to compare and deride smart watches just reinforces my belief that some people feel threatened when their world is changing. It is depressing to keep reading about it every day.

I have more watches than I can wear. Although I enjoy them, I have begun to question why I own them. They are jewelry, inanimate objects that do not define who I am or what I do. Yes, I enjoy taking my GMT on vacation but when it is sitting at home, what is the point?

I recently started teleworking two days a week so I now only wear my high-end watches for three days and if I go out on the weekends then I also wear one. Otherwise as I sit and stare at 4 computer monitors and a TV, I wear my Apple watch. In short, I have far more than I need and maybe than I want.
I used to look forward to Basel. I used to read Watchtime. I used to be obsessed with the accumulation of things.

As I have gotten older, changed to a healthy lifestyle, begun to contemplate retirement I have begun to wonder if I am missing out on other pursuits. I look at what I have managed to accumulate and the value of it and think “I could have really done some good with that money”.

I have two big life events coming up soon and feel pressure to celebrate, blame marketing. I have thought for a long time about upending my collection to reduce piece count for quality. I discuss everything with my wife as we are a team.

I showed her a Patek 5205G. Beautiful piece. She likes it and then says “how much?” The AD gladly volunteers the price and my wife says “that is a lot”. “Yes” I reply, “but I can cover it with cash and sales”. “No”, she says, “that is a lot for one watch and I am uncomfortable with that”.

And I had no answer.

She is absolutely correct. Tthe total value of what I own is no longer justifiable even to me.

Perhaps I need a break, both from watches and the internet.

Just rambling, thanks.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:07 AM   #2
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I do not have many watches, but I feel the same way sometimes.

Yes I love them for what they are, but looking at my watch box on my desk and realizing that they costs thousands of dollars and serve no real function gets to me sometimes.
Old 9 June 2018, 12:18 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Hard for me to give advice about anything like this as I tend to be an addict when it comes to things like this as well. Change your habits, maybe your spending to much time online or at the wrong places or at least the wrong threads anyway. Too much of anything is just too much of anything and that includes watches. Find another hobby diversify a bit. Do things that make you feel better and stay away from those that don't. Start focusing on enjoying what you already have and not the next one. It's no longer watches but I'm still working on that. It is much easier when I don't spend so much time on forums where they only talk about it all of the time. The knowledge and the social atmosphere that share your interest is great but the pull to get something else or something just new is there as well. That's why the general portion or sub forum is about the only place I have looked for the longest time. As far as watches it just got to the point I have what I need to be happy. I don't need as many as I have and I have what I need to be happy. The point was that I enjoyed getting the next one at one point in time but when it is no longer so I moved on and I do other things that make me happy.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:27 AM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I get it and thanks for posting.
As much as I love watches, collecting and the pursuit of what's next, I have my times where I ask myself why I need more than 1 or 2 watches.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a journey for sure.

I still have perhaps one grail to buy, maybe, maybe not. But my interest in new stuff, new hype, new marketing is basically zero.

Lately I’ve been downsizing a bit and getting the odd piece I really love instead a a bunch I sort of like. Basically I’m done buying.

I think the need really is for a few great pieces, a couple of tool watches and a beater or two. Ultra high end stuff just doesn’t make sense to me any more.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:33 AM   #6
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Brian I think your feelings are of natural progression. The current watch state is only magnified due to the forum. Outside of this little bubble you do not need to allow yourself to have these feelings. Regardless if you have 3 or 30 watches you can enjoy them as you see fit. If your not in the market or want to get a "hard" to get piece you are unaffected.

It seems you want to give back and that's an amazing thing, thank you for being a good member of society.

My suggestion would be to get your watches & your wife together. Pick a number that you both agree on and trim down to that number. Don't forget heirlooms if you have anyone special you plan to pass to, that's the first of many gifts to come.

Sell the rest and always keep your collection within that defined number, whatever proceeds you have from the sales donate or start something of positive moral value which you can spend some time charting.

Remember you love/loved mechanical watches at one point and time in life. The movements didn't make you have our current feeling, try and get back to that love!

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 9 June 2018, 12:38 AM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Completely understandable. As stated above, it is a journey for all of us.

I've narrowed my efforts to enjoying watches. Not brands, not hard to find examples just because they are hard to find, not investments, but watches that bring value to my life.

What a joy being consistently happy with what is strapped to your wrist. And what a pleasure to let others chase the grails, the unobtainable, and superficial status.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:53 AM   #8
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I think you may be in the same boat as me. It's not the watches or your love for watches that has really changed things. It's all the newbies and people getting into this for the perceived "value." Lots of complaining about not being able to get certain pieces when most are just going to turn around and flip them. I try to stay away from this group and the threads they start. It's made a difference for me. You should also come to Vegas for the GTG. Hanging around those guys will definitely reignite your love for watches.....and unfortunately do some permanent damage to your liver from all the alcohol. YOLO, baby!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 12:55 AM   #9
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Don't let possessions run your life.

Liquidate and simplify.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:01 AM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Great post.

For fwiw, I love hearing this from you. Not the content specifically, but rather the emotion behind it. Appreciate you showing a bit of yourself.

In regards to the content, I can relate. I go through phases. I’m currently finding great love for my collection. But when I’m not, I do consolidate.

I know you are not looking for advice. That’s not your style. So I won’t offer any.

But thank you for posting. And celebrate life and those events. Doesn’t have to be big. But marking it to yourself in your own way is, imho, important. Not meant as advice. Just an observation.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:26 AM   #11
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I hear you Brian.
My collection currently has more watches than I can possibly wear. Many get NO wrist time. Later this year I plan on consolidating down to just a few.
Like you, I'm getting older and closer to retirement too. I'm slowly shifting to a more minimalist lifestyle (I've even started following a page on Facebook called "Becoming Minimalist" - a lot of good stuff there). I find that life events, traveling and being with friends and family is much more rewarding than purchasing a watch for many thousands of dollars. And like you, I have a very big event coming up - the wedding of my only daughter. On my death bed, these memories will mean so much more than my new Seadweller will.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:36 AM   #12
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Excellent post Brian. Appreciate your openness. I can relate. Go through phases. Luckily I am not in a buying or trading phase these days or trying to acquire the next hyped item. Sometimes taking a break from the forum and internet can be useful. Provides time to focus on other activities.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:37 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i get it. Im not chasing anything now. Sure maybe there is a watch or two i want but im in no rush. There are a lot of people who are too obsessed with getting something and getting it right away.

I can comfortably sit back and just wait as im not getting into all that myself anymore. I can read these posts without getting too bothered as im not in that situation and not going about it in the same way.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 01:40 AM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, appreciate the thoughts, means a lot.

I am going to give one to my son and sell another this weekend!

Then I will see where I go from there.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 9 June 2018, 02:03 AM   #15
squirrel211
"TRF" Member

I did the same thing with guitars! I play in a cover band, and with a country artist, and had Gear Acquisition Syndrome for years. I wound up with 5 amplifiers, 14 guitars, and who knows how many pedals...

As my job became more important to me, and I've started becoming what I would consider "successful" the music part of my life started to wane in importance. My kids coming along further reduced my desire, and accomplishing some things both playing and opportunity-wise in the bands really made me turn that proverbial page in my mind. I sold all but 4 of the guitars; I kept my first guitar, a guitar my mom's husband built for me, my PRS Custom (my first really nice guitar) and my Crook Customs T-Style that has my late daughter's footprints on the back. I sold off all but the 2 amps that I really played; a Tone King Comet that I bought from Rich, O.A.R.'s lead guitar player, and a one-off hand wired Tone King Majesty that Mark, the founder of Tone King made for me.

Every once in a while, I'll think about getting a different flavored guitar, but not often. I've pretty well traveled that road, and moved on.

The point to this ramble; things change, people change, priorities change. I wouldn't sell any watch that had sentimental value, but I totally understand the feeling of outgrowing a passion in which you've invested a lot!
squirrel211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 02:05 AM   #16
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
I can relate to you...
MonsterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:36 AM   #17
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I know how you feel and recently listed all the watches I have owned in the last few years and it came out to 40 watches ranging from $2K-$15k . When I wrote them all down it was therapeutic in a way since it really brought to surface this game that I was totally addicted to.

So I decided to consolidate my collection on my 36th birthday and got rid of 2 (GMT & Panerai) for 1 (TT Zenith Daytona), and I couldn't be happier. Now I have 4 pieces that really have a lot of sentimental value which makes them keepers in my book.

Good on you for reflecting and allowing your wife to be a part of this journey. I am the same way and I feel they keep us grounded.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 04:44 AM   #18
Cru Jones

Plenty of hobbies and pursuits.

Take a break from the “watch game” and see where it takes you. Why not?

It’s supposed to be fun.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 05:34 AM   #19
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Hobbies are supposed to provide pleasure and enrichment, not be a burden or stressful.

If one starts causing the latter rather than the former, then it’s time to change things up.

Internet hobby forums can themselves can be deeply weird places that, if nothing else, eat up precious time.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:24 AM   #20
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I had the same thing happen to me but with photography cameras. Was absolutely obsessed and had a substantial collection. After 15-plus-years of obsessing I suddenly started to lose that deep interest, but still kept the collecting and collection going out of habit... and I suppose to offset a guilt that started to settle. And after that phase started to really set in I lost interest in the craft completely. But felt this need to keep! I’d open the boxes and marvel over Leicas and Hasselblads and Rollies. And extremely rare boutiques. I didn’t want to let go because I thought my involvement and investment owed me. In a way, it actually owned me! Finally after about two-years of that I realized that I had changed and my new obsession was raising my Son. And suddenly all that value stuffed in storage meant absolutely nothing! That is when I made the brave step forward and sold everything!! And even to this day I have zero regrets. Because I moved on and changed. And brought something else into my life that provides me the same love and passion I had when I was collecting camera equipment.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:36 AM   #21
MinMay
Banned

This is a hobby for me, an entertainment to kill times. I can live without a watch. If I need to know the time I look at my phone or laptop. Sometimes when I decide to wear a watch I don’t bother fixing the time. When i see a person with a nice watch I perceive the person with high maintenance taste. Besides that it’s just a piece of watch on them.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 06:46 AM   #22
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
FWIW, I feel the same way and will probably be selling most of my collection. Just not important to me.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:18 AM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I had the same thing happen to me but with photography cameras. Was absolutely obsessed and had a substantial collection. After 15-plus-years of obsessing I suddenly started to lose that deep interest, but still kept the collecting and collection going out of habit... and I suppose to offset a guilt that started to settle. And after that phase started to really set in I lost interest in the craft completely.
Thanks and I understand.

Already went though this with photography, sold most of my Nikon equipment, bodies, lenses and a lot of other things as well.

Much happier.
Old 9 June 2018, 07:21 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Hobbies are supposed to provide pleasure and enrichment, not be a burden or stressful.

If one starts causing the latter rather than the former, then it’s time to change things up.

Internet hobby forums can themselves can be deeply weird places that, if nothing else, eat up precious time.
you are not wrong, but hobby forum people have addictive/obsessive personalities generally and its obvious. So its better watches than hookers, gambling, booze, porn, or drugs

Seriously i think being obsessed with watches is healthier than being addicted to something else that is more harmful and i do think it is an addiction of sorts. The forum is both our "meeting" as well as the bar so its both things at once.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:22 AM   #25
MP5

You can still do some good with that money- Sell them here for super good deals and pass the love and get your money back into the pursuits you cherish more.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:26 AM   #26
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Great post!!!
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:36 AM   #27
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Thanks and I understand.

Already went though this with photography, sold most of my Nikon equipment, bodies, lenses and a lot of other things as well.

Much happier.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:44 AM   #28
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Thanks for sharing Brian.

It is a journey and some likes the road longer than others. You have to do what is best(fun) for you. Sell some if it makes you feel better and sometimes, less is more (for me).
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 07:47 AM   #29
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Great post Brian.
This is the worst moment I've experienced here.
People joining to ask about investment or to whine about lists and availability.
Not forgetting flippers, those who have absolute disdain for the pleasure of owning a special piece of horology.
However, that doesn't make me change my passion at all. Quite the opposite to be honest.
That said, I'd say give it some time before making drastic changes.
You know that people who love this hobby move slowly. The decision process is long and we change our mind many times but the final decision is firm and not opened to debate or regrets.
At last, I'd say don't let the current state of affairs change your feelings about the hobby. This sad moment will pass like everything in life.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2018, 11:28 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you are not wrong, but hobby forum people have addictive/obsessive personalities generally and its obvious. So its better watches than hookers, gambling, booze, porn, or drugs

Seriously i think being obsessed with watches is healthier than being addicted to something else that is more harmful and i do think it is an addiction of sorts. The forum is both our "meeting" as well as the bar so its both things at once.
I think for me being enthralled with watches can mean I appreciate them, appreciate the forums and enjoy the discussions BUT it doesn’t mean I have to try to own them all.

Which is one reason why I never refer to myself as a collector because it creates the need and the unconscious determination to buy stuff which in my opinion is kind of unhealthy and it’s not satisfying. The bloom falls off the rose very very quickly. And another rose is quickly needed.

Which is why I stated the more of something you have, the less you appreciate them.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote