The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I’m so loving my turtle

Damn. I’ve been longing for a 6105 for a long while now but I’ve been struggling with the desire of a daily do everything with watch and the nostalgia of a vintage. I opted for the SRP777, which to me has most of the vintage look and feel, plus an amazing movement and lume. Yes, it’s missing the patina and wabi but I’ll just have to earn that myself over the years! I’m surprised how amazing it looks on my wrist, especially on the strapcode super jubilee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Very nice...congrats. Turtle is my favourite case style of all time, across all brands. I got one in the Japan recently, same as yours but with a Japanese ref# (SBDY015)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ddd.jpg (217.3 KB, 340 views)
Old 2 July 2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Very nice...congrats. Turtle is my favourite case style of all time, across all brands. I got one in the Japan recently, same as yours but with a Japanese ref# (SBDY015)

Amazing. I assume that has the kanji/English day wheel? I was hoping to get one with that but it’s too hard to come by on this side of the Atlantic. It has a “Made in Japan” dial and caseback and there’s a lot of conflicting dialogue on forums as to what that means in reality. This one was surely made for the Canadian market though.

Old 2 July 2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

A bit of a better pic as the lighting was off on the first one I posted.

Old 2 July 2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Amazing. I assume that has the kanji/English day wheel? I was hoping to get one with that but it’s too hard to come by on this side of the Atlantic. It has a “Made in Japan” dial and caseback and there’s a lot of conflicting dialogue on forums as to what that means in reality. This one was surely made for the Canadian market though.

Yes it's Kanji/English. They were only released in Japan this past April. Even with discount, mine was US$380 and I don't think it's worth the extra as they still have the same minor QC issues as the international models (slightly off rehaut/bezel line-up, etc). For me it was a spur of the moment thing and a souvenir/birthday gift from my wife so zero regrets, but if I bought another it would be an international.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa1.JPG (190.1 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg aa2.jpg (230.0 KB, 325 views)
Old 2 July 2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Not a lot of bargains in Japan, based on my recollection from a past visit! And, of course, I meant “this side of the Pacific.” Not as common a turn of phrase for me as the former!

Old 2 July 2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Interesting that the Japanese black bezel version has a steel bracelet option. Only the rubber over here. You have to cough up for the fancier gold bezel SRP775 for that.

Old 2 July 2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Not a lot of bargains in Japan, based on my recollection from a past visit! And, of course, I meant “this side of the Pacific.” Not as common a turn of phrase for me as the former!

Things have improved in recent years. Seiko, especially higher end, can be had at great prices if you go to the right kind of store and the yen is on a low streak. I got my Grand Seiko quartz for about 25% off list price, fully warrantied. Cost me about US$1,750. Japan being close by really helps too, with low cost carriers selling cheap flights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS Off Wrist.jpg (231.1 KB, 325 views)
Old 2 July 2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Japan being close by really helps too, with low cost carriers selling cheap flights.

Something I miss dearly from my days as a student in Hong Kong.

Old 3 July 2018, 03:50 AM   #10
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I have owned (5) SRP's and I loved them. I have to say the mini-turtle SPRC39 was a step up on quality. Great watches for the price.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:44 AM   #11
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Wear in good health! Bought a Turtle myself and can't get over how much I am enjoying it's design, shape, and comfort despite the size, especially for what is a truly affordable watch.

On the "Made in Japan" issue I have read that it does not necessarily mean the watch is a JDM product, but reflects different labeling requirements for the anticipated market the watch is going to be sold in. So that a watch produced outside Japan, but with a Japanese made movement gets a "Made in" designation for say the Middle East, but not for other markets. Anyone know what the actual circumstances are surrounding the "Made In..." on these Seikos?
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 03:59 AM   #12
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Wear in good health! Bought a Turtle myself and can't get over how much I am enjoying it's design, shape, and comfort despite the size, especially for what is a truly affordable watch.

On the "Made in Japan" issue I have read that it does not necessarily mean the watch is a JDM product, but reflects different labeling requirements for the anticipated market the watch is going to be sold in. So that a watch produced outside Japan, but with a Japanese made movement gets a "Made in" designation for say the Middle East, but not for other markets. Anyone know what the actual circumstances are surrounding the "Made In..." on these Seikos?
Your assessment is spot on. None of the Turtles are made in Japan regardless what the dial says. People paying more for that on the dial are wasting their $$, which is their right.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 04:53 AM   #13
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Seiko turtles are such fun watch to wear. I wish I can give mine more wrist time.

Old 7 July 2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Your assessment is spot on. None of the Turtles are made in Japan regardless what the dial says. People paying more for that on the dial are wasting their $$, which is their right.
dP
What if the Turtle says Made in Japan on the dial and on the caseback and is sold in Japan at Seiko ADs with a Japanese reference number (like my SBDY015), Dan? Surely that would have have legal implications in Japan if the watch was made in, say, Malaysia, and not really in Japan?
Old 7 July 2018, 10:32 PM   #15
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
What if the Turtle says Made in Japan on the dial and on the caseback and is sold in Japan at Seiko ADs with a Japanese reference number (like my SBDY015), Dan? Surely that would have have legal implications in Japan if the watch was made in, say, Malaysia, and not really in Japan?
Adam, I'm sure there could be some limited edition Turtles made in Japan. This is a big topic of discussion on WUS and so far I've not seen any evidence of a Turtle being made in Japan, only writing on the dial. I'll admit I've not dug too deep on the subject, only a passive interest since it mimics some of the nuance discussions on TRF about Swiss watch manufacturing.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 12:48 PM   #16
pfb
"TRF" Member

I like the new turtles so much I've picked up three!

First, the SRP777. It has been my go-to travel, beach, and tool watch.

Then I bought this SRP779 "Pepsi" in protest of Rolex's absurd artificial sports-watch restrictions. It is awesome awesome awesome!

And last week I discovered this absolute stunner, which arrive yesterday! Wow, my new favorite turtle!

All three of these watches combined were less than the tax I paid on my Stainless Daytona Ceramic
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote