The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 1 October 2010, 11:11 PM   #31
florianw
"TRF" Member

images of Orchi have disappeared

hi Orchi,

thank you so much for such a quality-thread! Now everything is much more clear to me.

Just 1 question: the images of the initial post with all the matte dials are not visble anymore. Any technical problem or mistake of mine?

All the best
Florian
florianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2011, 05:54 PM   #32
Fin
"TRF" Member

So I quess this is mini/radial dial?

Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 04:58 AM   #33
Lol-x
Facilitator

Yes it is known as a radial dial.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2011, 09:38 PM   #34
Fin
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I thought so also. How rare are these, anyone know? I have also old handset for this. Any value info possibly?
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2011, 07:54 AM   #35
gensiulia
"TRF" Member

Hola Orchi. thanks for all this work.
gensiulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2011, 03:07 PM   #36
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
This thread is a great resource. Being that the 1675 is my favorite reference I come back to this thread whenever a 1675 is being sold just for fun. It's great for quick dial to SN reference if original dials are a must for you.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 10:11 AM   #37
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Hello Orchi, I was looking thru this thread tonight and noticed your Mark X dial (the very, elongated dial) that you thought might be a replacement dial. I have seen this dial on many of the late 1970's GMT's as well as being on the early 16750 dials in the 1980's. This is the last variation of the GMT dial on the 1675 and in my opinion is not a replacement dial. It might have been used by Rolex as a replacement tritium dial, but I believe it was used at the end of the 1675 production. I have seen it too many times on the late 1970's GMT's to call it a replacement dial. Also, it makes sense that this dial is often found on the late 1970 1675 GMT's and continues to be found on the early 1980's GMT 16750.

But, that is just my opinion my friend! Take care Orchi.

jP

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 01:06 PM   #38
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Hello Orchi, I was looking thru this thread tonight and noticed your Mark X dial (the very, elongated dial) that you thought might be a replacement dial. I have seen this dial on many of the late 1970's GMT's as well as being on the early 16750 dials in the 1980's. This is the last variation of the GMT dial on the 1675 and in my opinion is not a replacement dial. It might have been used by Rolex as a replacement tritium dial, but I believe it was used at the end of the 1675 production. I have seen it too many times on the late 1970's GMT's to call it a replacement dial. Also, it makes sense that this dial is often found on the late 1970 1675 GMT's and continues to be found on the early 1980's GMT 16750.

But, that is just my opinion my friend! Take care Orchi.

jP
Here was my 1970s 1675, I sold it as having a replacement dial but there was a lot of confusion over its originality...I think it was a Mark X?

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 02:30 PM   #39
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Here was my 1970s 1675, I sold it as having a replacement dial but there was a lot of confusion over its originality...I think it was a Mark X?

The dial is an original in my opinion - if it is late 1970's. I remember when you sold that watch.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 10 January 2012, 02:51 PM   #40
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
The dial is an original in my opinion - if it is late 1970's. I remember when you sold that watch.
Yep, it was from '78. Oh well, learned something new I guess!
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2012, 11:41 PM   #41
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
I am the current owner of Kyle's 78 1675 and my friend and watchmaker Manuel Chamosa confirmed it is not a service dial but an original Mark IV correct for the time period with nice light cream patina.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2012, 10:15 AM   #42
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I am the current owner of Kyle's 78 1675 and my friend and watchmaker Manuel Chamosa confirmed it is not a service dial but an original Mark IV correct for the time period with nice light cream patina.
I'm glad to hear Manny is back to work after the holidays. I need to drop a couple watches off to him! He is the man!

Old 11 January 2012, 02:20 PM   #43
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
I'm glad to hear Manny is back to work after the holidays. I need to drop a couple watches off to him! He is the man!
Indeed! I am traveling to Dallas tomorrow and hopefully I'll get together with him on Friday. I hope he doesn't need to go back to Mexico because his oldest brother is very sick.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2012, 06:43 AM   #44
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
What an amazing thread. Orchi you are an oracle.

I'm on the hunt for my next 1675 and this thread is a great help. I've got a nipple dial 1675/3 TT that I love, but I am lusting after the MK1 and 2 in SS and the elusive ALL RED 24 hour hand. My TT has an original red and gold 24 hour hand so I'm especially interested in a SS model with an unusual 24 hour hand.
Old 10 June 2012, 01:48 PM   #45
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
Amazing Orchi. Thanks for sharing all the great information.
Old 10 June 2012, 11:31 PM   #46
Brit78
"TRF" Member

Great thread Orchi! I've been confused about the dial on my 5.08MM Serial GMT from 1977 since I got it. It was a one owner watch and thought to be totally original. The dial, especially the way ROLEX is written, seems to be the same font as your Mk2 variant. I have seen a few other watches close to this serial range with the same dial as well, so I do believe it to be original and not a replacement. Thoughts??

Old 26 June 2012, 03:45 AM   #47
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
I love this thread and it has been very helpful so I thought I would add my late GMT 1675 Dial (dial only). This is the same as others listed towards the end of the thread (please correct me if I am wrong). Most noticeable is the tall coronet.

Old 26 June 2012, 03:49 AM   #48
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit78 View Post
Great thread Orchi! I've been confused about the dial on my 5.08MM Serial GMT from 1977 since I got it. It was a one owner watch and thought to be totally original. The dial, especially the way ROLEX is written, seems to be the same font as your Mk2 variant. I have seen a few other watches close to this serial range with the same dial as well, so I do believe it to be original and not a replacement. Thoughts??

That dial is way to early for that 1675, your watch should have a Mk4 dial I believe
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 06:39 AM   #49
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
I love this thread and it has been very helpful so I thought I would add my late GMT 1675 Dial (dial only). This is the same as others listed towards the end of the thread (please correct me if I am wrong). Most noticeable is the tall coronet.

Nice dial. That would be a correct dial for a late 1970's GMT dial which is contrary to what Orchi posted. Every late 1970's GMT dial that I have seen has the elongated coronet on the dial - unless it has been replaced or is an anomaly.

Old 26 June 2012, 06:44 AM   #50
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
That dial is way to early for that 1675, your watch should have a Mk4 dial I believe
Mike, Orchi's info regarding the last group of dials for the 1675's is not correct. The last dials used on the 1675's toward the end of the 1970's had an elongated coronet on the dial. I have posted this info to Orchi's GMT dial thread in the past. The dial depicted in the previous post is a correct late 1970's GMT dial.

jP

Old 16 May 2013, 06:30 AM   #51
MrDoug

Watch: 116400GV
::: Sorry to dig-up an old thread :::

Fantastic thread! This just sorted out 2 watches I was looking at. Well done.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2013, 08:42 AM   #52
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Information in this thread and the time frame that particular dials were used by Rolex based on serial numbers is not science and a "guestimate" based on various dials found on 1675 GMT's compared to their serial numbers. No one can say for sure when dials were discontinued and replaced by other variations or what era the serial numbers should be for a particular dial. You can not say for sure that i.e., Mark 1 dials ended during a certain serial number sequence and another variation of dial was then used by Rolex. While Mark 1 dials replaced the gilt dials after the mid-1960's, the next variation of GMT dials started to appear after the supply of the Mark 1 dials dried up. No one knows when this occurred, as these were just dials to Rolex to market and sell GMT's. You can not say that Mark 1 dials ended around the 21XXXXX serial number and was replaced with the Mark 2. It would be more responsible to say circa 1970 or 1971, as Mark 1 dials were definitely being used by Rolex after serial numbers beginning with 21XXXXX which is circa 1967/68 according to some of the sources that identify serial numbers with production dates.

As an example, I own two 1675 GMT's with 18XXXXX serial numbers (circa 1966) and both have case backs stamped 1st quarter of 1968. The point being that while the serial numbers would indicate much earlier production, the case backs do not. The same logic would apply to dials - except that dials are not dated to verify their era of production.

Also, I would like to emphasize again that the elongated dials were used during the later part of the 1970's on GMT's and are not replacement dials. I believe these were identified as Mark X dials by Orchi.

Old 6 June 2013, 08:15 AM   #53
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Well said John.

I think alot of emphasis is placed on the serial number because it is the most readily visually available piece of information as it relates to when the case was produced. Many feel the case back stamp is a better indication for the production year of the watch. Unfortunately not everyone has a case back tool and they stopped stamping cases in the seventies I believe.
Old 20 July 2013, 07:10 AM   #54
springer
2024 Pledge Member

In reviewing this thread, the dial identified by Orchi as the Mark V contains the same dial coronet as the luminova replacement "Swiss" marked dial. It is my opinion that the Mark III dial and the radial dial were followed by the Mark X or elongated dial. I do not see where the Mark V dial fits in the time frame for circa 1970's GMT dials.

My opinion is based on owning and examining many GMT's in the past along with the Mark V dial having the same Rolex coronet as the replacement luminova "Swiss" marked dial. I believe that the Mark V dial is a replacement service dial along with the luminova "swiss" dial which are printed with the same coronet.

Any other opinions are welcome. I'd like to hear from you. Below are pics of the Mark V and the Swiss luminova dials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmt.mark.5.JPG (66.2 KB, 1242 views)
File Type: jpg gmt.luminova.JPG (45.1 KB, 1228 views)

Old 21 July 2013, 03:09 AM   #55
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Below are three more examples of the Mark V dial that I believe to be a service replacement dial. Notice the production dates for the watch which conflict with the known dial type for that era. Notice the bezel inserts are service replacements and two of the watches wore replacement bracelets. All three also appear to have replacement hands based on the "like new" condition of the hands.

The first one is from 1967, serial # 16XXXXX, the second one is circa 1968 and the third one is circa 1972, serial # 34XXXXX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmt.replace.dial.1967.JPG (46.8 KB, 1220 views)
File Type: jpg gmt.repla.dail.2.JPG (18.4 KB, 1216 views)
File Type: jpg gmt.repla.3.JPG (51.9 KB, 1219 views)

Old 22 July 2013, 06:45 AM   #56
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Below is a circa 1971 GMT for sale, serial number 26XXXXX, which the owner states is wearing a replacement dial and bezel insert. The original dial and insert is included in the sale and is displayed in one of the photos below. The watch currently wears the Mark V tritium dial which provides further evidence of this dial being a Rolex service replacement dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg service dial (a).JPG (47.7 KB, 1218 views)
File Type: jpg service dial (b).JPG (32.6 KB, 1209 views)
File Type: jpg service dial (c).JPG (46.6 KB, 1207 views)

Old 23 July 2013, 01:12 PM   #57
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Below is a circa 19XXXXX GMT 1675 for sale which has been serviced by the Rolex Service Center. The seller states that it has a service dial and bezel (bezel insert) and possibly the hands. The bracelet is also a later Rolex replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROLE...item53fb75cb7f
Attached Images
File Type: jpg service dial (e).JPG (48.4 KB, 1180 views)

Old 23 July 2013, 01:18 PM   #58
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Here is another GMT, circa 1978, serial number 57XXXXX, which the seller states has a Rolex service dial. To quote the seller.

Specs on the watch:
REF: 1675 SN: 57695** MOVEMENT: 1570 NONE QUICK-SET AUTOMATIC
ROLEX MATT DIAL (NEW FROM ROLEX SERVICE CENTER)

ebay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1978...item3f276e06da
Attached Images
File Type: jpg service dial (f).JPG (46.3 KB, 1187 views)

Old 27 December 2013, 05:51 PM   #59
arnaudC4S
"TRF" Member

Good morning !
I am new to this forum and I am very impressed by the quality of the information found here and how passionate participants are. I'm pround to join the community !

I'am collecting rolex (some vintage datejust, a maxidial 5513 and a daytona 6263 for now) and I am targeting this 1675.
According to the informations above mentionned, the dial is a mark X/ late 70's dial and NOT a replacement dial. Am I correct ? What is puzzling is that the watch is supposed to be a early 1675 (1966). Isn't strange ?

Thanks in advance for your help

It looks very similar tonthis one

Quote:
Nice dial. That would be a correct dial for a late 1970's GMT dial which is contrary to what Orchi posted. Every late 1970's GMT dial that I have seen has the elongated coronet on the dial - unless it has been replaced or is an anomaly.
arnaudC4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2013, 01:34 AM   #60
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaudC4S View Post
Good morning !
I am new to this forum and I am very impressed by the quality of the information found here and how passionate participants are. I'm pround to join the community !

I'am collecting rolex (some vintage datejust, a maxidial 5513 and a daytona 6263 for now) and I am targeting this 1675.
According to the informations above mentionned, the dial is a mark X/ late 70's dial and NOT a replacement dial. Am I correct ? What is puzzling is that the watch is supposed to be a early 1675 (1966). Isn't strange ?

Thanks in advance for your help

It looks very similar tonthis one
The dial in your photo is from the late 1970s. If your watch is from the late 1960s, it should have the Mark I dial. It appears your dial has been changed at one time.