The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2018, 01:12 PM   #1
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Panerai 721 demand?

Fellow ristis,

Any idea what is going on with demand on the 721? Given the story of this watch and the significant, I’m surprised to see these now trading below retail.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:05 PM   #2
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
it’s panerai, nothing surprises me

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:38 PM   #3
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
it’s panerai, nothing surprises me
I know where you are coming from. 10 years ago it wasn't like this. I think they have butchered their offerings as of late and are losing the cult aura.

Old 12 December 2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's very soft.

I've seen them @ boutiques on display every visit. Secondary market they go unsold..

Great watch and all that. Just Pam market is pretty toxic at the moment.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:01 PM   #5
chemistman
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, Exp II, SubC
It was hot for a while and saw a few dealers selling around $11000 to $12000 mark, now it's somewhere between 8 to 9k.

Have a feeling this is going to be like 232 or fiddy. The fiddy prices now is just unthinkable from a few years back.

Really have to go for what you love and get at the right price. Golden days of Pams are gone
chemistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 12:14 AM   #6
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's very soft.

I've seen them @ boutiques on display every visit. Secondary market they go unsold..

Great watch and all that. Just Pam market is pretty toxic at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistman View Post
It was hot for a while and saw a few dealers selling around $11000 to $12000 mark, now it's somewhere between 8 to 9k.

Have a feeling this is going to be like 232 or fiddy. The fiddy prices now is just unthinkable from a few years back.

Really have to go for what you love and get at the right price. Golden days of Pams are gone
Around your latter comment, what are your thoughts on why this is happening?

Old 13 December 2018, 01:33 AM   #7
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Panerai special editions are volatile. For one, there's just too many special editions out there and too many models that are too similar. The subtle changes just don't do enough for the average buyer who just wants a 47mm Radiomir. Collectors will initially mop up the special editions and try and sell them over retail. People who missed the release will pay over MSRP, but once they get into the hands of the people who really want them, the remainder start to tank and prices drop. This goes on for several years until it becomes increasingly hard to find a BNIB example of the special edition at which time price goes back up a little and floats there.

Panerai needs to streamline their regular production models and offer special editions that really offer something new to consumers. Unfortunately over the past 10 years, Panerai as essentially saturated the market with every variation of every possible combination of case shape, dial, complication, etc. There isn't much new or imaginative to offer. The green and blue dial models are a direct example of this. They've exhausted what you can do with a black dial model, they get a new playbook if they change the dial to dark green or blue. Take the PAM 690; a very cool variation on the Radiomir 1940. Probably still the best blue dial example Panerai makes. What does Panerai do, they offer something very similar in the PAM 932.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 05:02 AM   #8
synequano
Banned

The way the market now,just buy what you really like and don't think too much about resale

There are very few pams which price gone up over the years (with the exception of bronzos) probably the most surprising one is 168,bought one few years ago for around 6.5k,now the selling price is around 11k....even there's a dealer abroad willing to buy mine at 10k....the price increase is higher than the "el primerai" 74 that's pretty much stuck in 7-7.5k range

Panerai have exhausted their black,brown (tobacco),blue dial options,I guess next year they'll do boutique edition in green dial following the bronzo mk 1-2,73x trio and 911 with some stickers on their display back

I've been wearing Panerai since 2005/2006 and my youngest piece are O series 177 and 441,their new models aren't appealing for me...instead I'd rather hunt for their older models
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 07:38 AM   #9
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I just checked out the 721 image search, yes it's based on a historical model, but the dial is too sterile for me. I agree with the synequano above, the older models are more interesting.
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 09:59 AM   #10
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utc66 View Post
I just checked out the 721 image search, yes it's based on a historical model, but the dial is too sterile for me. I agree with the synequano above, the older models are more interesting.
the sterile dial is a winner

chgo_risti on IG
Old 13 December 2018, 01:55 PM   #11
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've had the same feeling. IMO, Panerai is driving themselves into the ground and has no focus.

Old 13 December 2018, 03:56 PM   #12
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

too many damned models.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 10:19 PM   #13
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
I still love Panerai and could care less about the people who can't flip a model and make a killing. Still plenty of people buying Panerai. it's just not as hyped as it once was which in my opinion is a good thing. Those type of people can go buy a Rolex and worry about their "investment"......LOL. Luxury purchases are an emotional purchase so you should buy what you love.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:19 PM   #14
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I still love Panerai and could care less about the people who can't flip a model and make a killing. Still plenty of people buying Panerai. it's just not as hyped as it once was which in my opinion is a good thing. Those type of people can go buy a Rolex and worry about their "investment"......LOL. Luxury purchases are an emotional purchase so you should buy what you love.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:28 PM   #15
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:

Very well said!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:35 PM   #16
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date - PAM673
Quote:

PAM 673
REXMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:38 AM   #17
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly!
Bushido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:59 AM   #18
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
spot on....

chgo_risti on IG
Old 14 December 2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post

Very well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REXMTL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
spot on....

I’m with these guys! Well said, Dan.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:03 PM   #20
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I’m with these guys! Well said, Dan.
. The Panerai bashing thing gets old after awhile. They are fantastic, unique watches that EVERYONE doesn't have on their wrist.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 10:17 PM   #21
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
. The Panerai bashing thing gets old after awhile. They are fantastic, unique watches that EVERYONE doesn't have on their wrist.
exactly....this constant the brand is dead cr@p and is driving themselves into the ground and has no focus is just idiotic.

like you said, buy what you like not what you want to flip.

Have a great weekend

chgo_risti on IG
Old 15 December 2018, 02:29 AM   #22
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Ok, this thread really needs a pic.

Beautiful watch.

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 03:05 AM   #23
synequano
Banned

I had a chance to see 721 along with 172,if only they do the blue hands like 172 on 721....

The newer pams have painted blue hands that look more matte and darker in comparison to the older ones that look more shiny and lighter

Blue hands on old skool pam 168
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:42 AM   #24
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Spot...flipping...on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 02:53 PM   #25
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Only one thing I disagree with; the expression is ‘couldn’t care less’. Sorry mate, I had to. Otherwise, spot on

Quote:
Again Dan, bang on the money. Example on this point - Mrs Van D and me are on a two-week cruise between the Persian Gulf and India. There’s about 60% Brits on here, about 20% North Americans and the rest comprising a mix of Europeans and Asians.

I’ve seen about four billion Rolex, one AP, two Omega Speedys and two Panerai (including mine). The AP might have been a Hublot; I’m no expert and the two brands can look quite similar to my uneducated eye from ten yards plus. The other PAM was a Luminor of some description but I could only make out the crown guard.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2018, 05:47 PM   #26
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

All of the above plus, just by numbers made, Panerai is actually relatively rare! Love my 233, lost interest in Rolex a while back. (Ruud Van Driver’s fault) !!
Old 16 December 2018, 02:53 AM   #27
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
If you want to talk demand and resell, it's very soft. If you want to talk about buying what you love, its a great time to buy

For what it is worth, 721 is at $8975 at DavidSW's. It's just the market.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:46 AM   #28
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Yeah, Panerai’s rubbish. They have too many references that all look the same, they make too many LEs, the company have lost their way and their watches are worthless on the used market.

In fact, they’re so crap I’m giving all mine away and I’ll pay the shipping. And pigs are blue and have wings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 19A2FC1A-679B-469D-81F1-8F208C3DBE69.jpeg (290.3 KB, 208 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 05:47 AM   #29
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synequano View Post
I had a chance to see 721 along with 172,if only they do the blue hands like 172 on 721....

The newer pams have painted blue hands that look more matte and darker in comparison to the older ones that look more shiny and lighter

Blue hands on old skool pam 168
different times. the 172 is an amazing piece, my ‘grail’ but the hands on the 721 are amazing in their own right.

chgo_risti on IG
Old 16 December 2018, 05:49 AM   #30
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

forgot the pic

chgo_risti on IG