The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 2 April 2023, 12:42 AM   #1
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Solutions To Overpolished Crownclasp?

Hopefully it's okay to ask in this particular subforum... I have a 118238 dating to 2000 and the crown on the clasp has been horribly overpolished. Is there any solution other than buying a new bracelet? Or is there anything that can be done to sharpen the crown? Pic is below.

TIA for any suggestions!

wesdaniel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 08:56 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A new bracelet is going to thump you for about 20 Gs. I’m really not certain if the crown can be replaced.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 09:15 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The crown is welded on so if you have another, it too can be put on. You could also have an artistic craftsman carve out the definition.

Contact a shop such as Rolliworks who specialize in bracelet restoration and ask about options.
Old 2 April 2023, 10:47 AM   #4
wesdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The crown is welded on so if you have another, it too can be put on. You could also have an artistic craftsman carve out the definition.

Contact a shop such as Rolliworks who specialize in bracelet restoration and ask about options.
Thanks, Larry! I've got my 1601 DateJust at Rolliworks for restoration now. Will probably send this one to them when they're done with mine.

I wasn't sure if maybe I could buy a new clasp only... but, we'll see what Michael might be able to do.
Old 2 April 2023, 10:53 AM   #5
HAPConst
Banned

That crown is an after thought meaning it’s attached to the bracelet and not an integral part. On other models the crown is stamped into the clasp. Those that are stamped can be restamped if overpolished. I know of an independent jeweler in CT that owns a crown stamp and will restamp a clasp.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:56 AM   #6
HAPConst
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Thanks, Larry! I've got my 1601 DateJust at Rolliworks for restoration now. Will probably send this one to them when they're done with mine.

I wasn't sure if maybe I could buy a new clasp only... but, we'll see what Michael might be able to do.
Yes Rolliworks has a third party that can restamp a crown. Rolliworks themselves can attach a new crown to a jubilee bracelet.

I went thru this search a few years ago and did a bit of research. That’s how I know.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:15 AM   #7
wesdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post
Yes Rolliworks has a third party that can restamp a crown. Rolliworks themselves can attach a new crown to a jubilee bracelet.

I went thru this search a few years ago and did a bit of research. That’s how I know.
Thank you!! Was it Rolliworks that did yours or your local contact? Is there any chance of seeing a before and after pic?
Old 5 January 2024, 03:07 PM   #8
wesdaniel

So, I wanted to follow up on this post just in case anybody else is ever in a similar circumastance.

Rolliworks wasn't an option. Michael was very helpful, but also very up front that he couldn't help with it. Essentially, he said that, if 3D printing ever becomes more affordable, he could do one, but, as it is today, it was a no-go.

I talked to Rolex BH and they quoted me (IIRC) $2,700 for a replacement clasp which would come with a new crown. It wasn't worth the $2,700 to me.

But, the overpolished crown (and also the horrible polish job on the bracelet) was making me not enjoy wearing the watch, so I had to find something to do with it.

There's a local jeweler here in San Diego who is quite the craftsman. When I took it in to him to look at, it turned out that he had a mold of a Rolex crown from a DD watch. So, he created a new crown out of 18K YG and then laser welded it to the clasp. I then took it to my trusted watchmaker to have him correctly polish the bracelet.

They both did amazing work and I now love wearing this, my grail watch. I think that, no matter what other watches I own, I will always love the DayDate more than anything.

Anyway, here's a before and after picture. The after picture is only of the crown replacement - not of the re-polish.

Thanks for the helpful feedback, everyone!!