The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 October 2020, 04:57 AM   #1
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

Icon19 Scavenger Hunt - Oyster Royal - 1930s

Hello,

Came into possession of a Oyster Royal from the 1930s (case #75,000). Does anyone have any info on it? A reference is not marked on the case, I see some time in the late 1930’s/early 1940’s Ref 2280 is marked on the case.

Looking to understand the history around the watch, production numbers, dial type, etc.

Also, trying to date but seems to be some inconsistencies of case # tables, range 1935 to 1939).

A little beat up but hands look original and I do like the wear on the dial. Looking to get serviced and perhaps replace acrylic and re-polish, thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 67F7134D-7A6A-4DAF-B936-42FD229C60EF.jpeg (62.5 KB, 280 views)
devoglenn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 03:43 PM   #2
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
Looks like somebody has installed fixed strap bars, but these should pull out easily and can be replaced with spring bars.

The crystal needs replacement (easy and inexpensive job), but I'm more concerned with the crown not screwing down: I suspect the threaded pendant tube will be worn and these can be hard to source.

I'd leave the dial and hands as they are. A movement service, new crystal, light buff-up to the case, and a new pigskin strap will revive this little Oyster.

Date is certainly late 1930's, you may find the model number inside the caseback. I hope you can wear a small watch as these boy's size models can feel dinky!

I had this one in my Saleroom "watch list"...nice to know where it ended up.

MW

:-)
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 04:27 PM   #3
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike,

Hopefully not a money hole as I am new to collecting vintage watches....but I suppose you live and you learn.

Fixed up I am sure that I will enjoy....Just your average joe so should fit fine.
Old 13 October 2020, 05:14 PM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Is the crystal cracked? I wouldn't go replacing it just because it's scratched.

Is it an ORIGINAL crystal? They don't make them anymore and if it's the original taper it's VERY sought after.

I'd like to see a side view.

Reference if it has one will be inside the caseback if it's not on the outside of the caseback.

Some have no reference.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 03:47 AM   #5
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

Thank you RWT,

Insight to those points is very appreciated.

Will see if I can get some better pictures in the coming days.

If Taper is original...is it possible to trade for a period pendant tube?

Is there a way to tell if the crystal is original or a service crystal from say 1945?
Also, does a crack have varying degrees such as half way through(viewed as a deep scratch) vs all the way through?

Again appreciate the knowledge from RF members.
Old 14 October 2020, 03:58 AM   #6
330ci
"TRF" Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Early-...YAAOSw3DteQ3wC

I’d sell it and buy this one, one of the cleanest I’ve seen. Likely would end up ahead price wise.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2020, 04:46 AM   #7
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

The is a very nice piece 330, I am looking for minimally touched vs overhauled (case looks polished, hands look new, maybe cleaned very well?), I am sure ppl have their own preferences. This does have some good info around the history. I am guessing that some watch backs may be stamped 2280 others not pending where they were distributed? Seems to be the lost history that I am trying to uncover.
Old 14 October 2020, 04:56 AM   #8
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

For those interested, I did find a old french advertisement listing out the oyster models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 62916D51-95AB-47F0-BC32-D491AC66BAD8.jpeg (168.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 14 October 2020, 02:59 PM   #9
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoglenn5 View Post
Thank you RWT,

Insight to those points is very appreciated.

Will see if I can get some better pictures in the coming days.

If Taper is original...is it possible to trade for a period pendant tube?

Is there a way to tell if the crystal is original or a service crystal from say 1945?
Also, does a crack have varying degrees such as half way through(viewed as a deep scratch) vs all the way through?

Again appreciate the knowledge from RF members.
It doesn't matter if it's a service crystal from 45 or the original they would be the same. Only later did they change the profile and original crystals for this model haven't been availble since late 60's. It's more if it is the original profile. It it's not then shuck it and put a GS in and be done with it. It can then be made waterproof for sure.

Crack is crack...a fracture...a scratch is a scratch. I'm not seeing any cracks.

"Taper"? Not following the term. If you mean thread size possibly. They don't "taper." They only taper because the end threads are worn from use.

What is wrong with the tube is on it?

Does it not screw down? Just because you see thread when it is closed does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong. They didn't screw down necessarily where the crown is so close to the case like more modern versions. Do you have the watch in your posesssion?

This is what we call a "large barrel" crown more than likely. They actually were the second generation Oyster Crown, after the "Onion" style. Those tubes have been obsoleted also for decades..I have some reproduction ones that were made by a guy in HK. out of nickel. Generally speaking if the crown is not screwing down a new tube will fix the issue.

If you want me to service the watch I can do that. If the tube is bad I can put one in.
I initially thought you were in UK. If you are in the states that's easy no customs hassles.

I do this era watch for people all over the world. Personally I wouldn't polish the case.

You see those fixed bars...then notice also the watch 330 posted..has a fixed bar type strap...interesting coincidence. I might be inclined to leave them. :-)
Old 30 October 2020, 02:46 AM   #10
devoglenn5
"TRF" Member

Thanks RWT for the insight.

I would be interested to know if the “fixed bars” were added at a later date, likely the case. Given, production may have been pre-WW2, one could assume it was added for functionality at the start of the war prior to the mil-spec productions/issued watches. If that is the case, I would keep them in as it is a telling time of history.

What services do you provide, being in the states, shipping back and forth could be costly.
Old 31 October 2020, 07:49 AM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoglenn5 View Post
Thanks RWT for the insight.

I would be interested to know if the “fixed bars” were added at a later date, likely the case. Given, production may have been pre-WW2, one could assume it was added for functionality at the start of the war prior to the mil-spec productions/issued watches. If that is the case, I would keep them in as it is a telling time of history.

What services do you provide, being in the states, shipping back and forth could be costly.
Are you in the USA?
Old 4 November 2020, 07:10 AM   #12
68shark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 Oysterdate
I can attest to RWT's expertise. Years ago I acquired a Canadian market 4220 that was given to a young man who enlisted in the RCAF and about to go overseas. Watch had been neglected for many years. Tommy reached out to my post on it just as he has to OP's. Although in Canada, was easier to ship then. Tommy did a tremendous job restoring it. I have since acquired two other watches via Tommy, a 6694 and 1600, both of which are running flawlessly many years later. I see OP says in the US. You won't be in better hands if you send it to RWT.
68shark is offline   Reply With Quote