The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 October 2020, 11:13 PM   #1
josain
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual Datejust 36 - 1978/9 - what should I do?

Hi guys,

My father bought a Datejust Oyster Perpetual in 1978 or 79, in yellow gold and steel, 36 mm.

It was used regularly by him until about 10 years ago, after that only occasionally.

It has never been serviced. The wear is evident (pictures attached) with one gold piece missing in the bracelet, the seconds hand is a bit rusty and the crystal has lost its shine and has a slight line from the inside at the bottom.
Mechanically it seems to work perfectly fine.

I thought about selling it, but the the quotes I got from online retailers are much less than I was expecting.

Then I thought about taking it to service to replace the hands, repair the bracelet and polishing it, so I could sell it at a higher value.

But I started researching online and I am not sure anymore this is the best thing to do.

What is your advice? What should I do? Service it/not? Sell it/keep it?

Thank you in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201024_144026.jpg (166.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201024_144231.jpg (132.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201024_144308.jpg (126.6 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201024_144342.jpg (157.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201024_144421.jpg (157.2 KB, 147 views)
josain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:14 AM   #2
bradleyt09
"TRF" Member

I would recommend servicing the watch with an independent watchmaker who works with vintage Rolex. I don't know anyone in Europe, but I'm sure that others on this forum can make a recommendation. Do not replace the dial or hands. The crystal can be replaced at service. Personally, I would keep the watch for its sentimental value.
bradleyt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 01:26 AM   #3
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
That watch really isn't in that bad of shape, I think it looks wonderful. Have it serviced and wear it!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:38 AM   #4
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Dealers always lowball. A private sale should net you more. That said, I wish my dad had been into nice watches and left me a generation piece.

Put it this way - once you sell, it's gone forever. I would never sell an heirloom watch. Never.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Yachtbuoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Definitely do not sell it. You'll get bent over because everyone will harp on about how it hasn't been serviced and therefore presents a huge risk to buy because the cost of the service is unknown. The watch has sentimental value and it's also a cool TT Datejust and I don't think the money will be worth the loss of the watch (TT DJs command a much lower price relative to the 1601 with white gold, the the all-steel 1600/1603).

I don't want to lie to you, it'll probably need a full service because the movement is assuredly dry and it looks like there's been moisture inside the case. Do not run the watch because you'll be doing further damage. The good news is that there's tons of avenues open to you here, you could keep the oxidised hands or you could basically get it refinished to "as new" condition. Vintage Datejusts don't suffer the same level of depreciation when thinking about replacing parts/servicing so personally (and this is what I'm doing to my 1603) I'd get the watch to as good of a condition as possible, and then wear it.
Yachtbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Online retailers will always lowball you. It won't matter if the watch is serviced or not. If you're going to sell it, just put it on eBay with good photos. Don't service it. If you are going to keep it, have it serviced. Only you can decide if you keep it or sell it, don't ask us.
Old 25 October 2020, 05:14 PM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Two-tone, well used Datejusts are everywhere. Their monetary value is pretty low. The history and memories yours comes with is invaluable.
Old 25 October 2020, 05:58 PM   #8
josain
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the answers! It helped me decide and I will keep it for now and get it serviced when I have the occasion.

Is taking it to a Rolex official dealer the best option? If I can save some money on the servicing, I would be happy to do it, but not sure how reliable non-official shops would be. I’m based out of Barcelona, Spain, in case you have any reliable pointers.
Old 25 October 2020, 11:04 PM   #9
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josain View Post
Thank you all for the answers! It helped me decide and I will keep it for now and get it serviced when I have the occasion.

Is taking it to a Rolex official dealer the best option? If I can save some money on the servicing, I would be happy to do it, but not sure how reliable non-official shops would be. I知 based out of Barcelona, Spain, in case you have any reliable pointers.

Glad to hear that you decided to keep it. If you do go to Rolex they値l most likely want to replace the dial, hands, and will probably suggest a new bracelet. If you don稚 care that you値l no longer have the original dial and hands then sure RSC is an option. However if you want to keep the dial that your father looked everyday then go independent. The hands look like they値l most likely will need to be replace no matter if you go RSC or an independent watchmaker.

With that said, if you want to go independent I would highly recommend you get in touch with Rollieworks In California. They値l be able to restore your dads watch almost to brand new condition without wanting to replace everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 12:55 AM   #10
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Rolex won't replace a dial these days unless it's radium (this one is not), or you ask them to do it - which would cost $500+.

They will, however, replace hands if you don't specify not to when you ok the repair estimate.

Rolex randomly changing stuff without it being on your estimate, in my experience, only happens when you use middlemen like watch dealers that stand between you and rolex's repair technicians.

Send direct and sit in the driver seat. I've never had an issue doing so.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 01:51 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageRX View Post
The hands look like they値l most likely will need to be replace no matter if you go RSC or an independent watchmaker.
Only if the OP chooses to replace them; there is no "need" to do so. If he sends it to an independent, it is his decision. Some people don't mind a bit of corrosion to maintain the originality and matching lume.
Old 26 October 2020, 03:40 AM   #12
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Only if the OP chooses to replace them; there is no "need" to do so. If he sends it to an independent, it is his decision. Some people don't mind a bit of corrosion to maintain the originality and matching lume.

That is true, I would at change the seconds hand. The rest look okay to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 03:55 AM   #13
josain
"TRF" Member

Thank you - i will check with RSC and/or independent to get a budget.

One more question: would you replace the jubilee yellow gold/steel bracelet with a brown or maybe blue leather strap? It would match my style better, but I am not sure it would combine well with the white dial & yellow bezel and crown.

I have seen mixed reactions to people suggesting wearing a strap with datejusts.
Old 26 October 2020, 04:29 AM   #14
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I'm glad you are keeping it. I recently purchased a few vintage 36mm DJ's including the below 1600/3 from 1978. I have service records from RSC from 2013. It runs perfectly and is in great shape. My wife loved it, so now it is hers.
My point is, it is worth putting some money into it if you will wear it and enjoy it.
It is a timeless piece.. Good luck!
IMG_3741.jpeg
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote