The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2020, 12:17 AM   #1
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
5711 Corruption

I’m not sure if this is been discussed before. I’m wondering when you find yourself in a situation where a watch that retails for 28K (it’s barely worth that IMHO) is now being sold in excess of 60K on the secondary market that must leave all kinds of room for corruption within the AD system. What I mean is some poor Patek AD sales guy making $60,000 a year sees these things being sold at such a high price in the grey market must feel like they could get in on the action for at least 10 to 15K themselves by setting up the sale to the grey. Especially if that person is in some sort of money trouble. A 37K markup is obviously a lot of money and I would suspect could easily temp most people who aren’t in the top 1% of income earners. I wonder how corporate Patek is keeping a handle on this? Obviously there are lots of flippers so they certainly aren’t screening the buyers. This is very interesting. A much different situation than buying a green sub for 9.5 K and flipping it for 12 K. I wouldn’t risk my relationship with my Rolex AD for a quick 2.5K profit but 37K............. Man.......

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:27 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This has been discussed ad infinitum. IMO it is basically speculation as we don't have solid evidence of ADs selling coveted Pateks to greys. So while you may be right, because the stakes are high insofar as an AD could lose their dealership of the brand, I would be very careful in making allegations. Are you right? I don't know.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:35 AM   #3
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
This has been discussed ad infinitum. IMO it is basically speculation as we don't have solid evidence of ADs selling coveted Pateks to greys. So while you may be right, because the stakes are high insofar as an AD could lose their dealership of the brand, I would be very careful in making allegations. Are you right? I don't know.
I apologize for bringing it back up then. I should’ve searched for it. I appreciate your comments though.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 January 2020, 01:16 AM   #4
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’m not sure if this is been discussed before. I’m wondering when you find yourself in a situation where a watch that retails for 28K (it’s barely worth that IMHO) is now being sold in excess of 60K on the secondary market that must leave all kinds of room for corruption within the AD system. What I mean is some poor Patek AD sales guy making $60,000 a year sees these things being sold at such a high price in the grey market must feel like they could get in on the action for at least 10 to 15K themselves by setting up the sale to the grey. Especially if that person is in some sort of money trouble. A 37K markup is obviously a lot of money and I would suspect could easily temp most people who aren’t in the top 1% of income earners. I wonder how corporate Patek is keeping a handle on this? Obviously there are lots of flippers so they certainly aren’t screening the buyers. This is very interesting. A much different situation than buying a green sub for 9.5 K and flipping it for 12 K. I wouldn’t risk my relationship with my Rolex AD for a quick 2.5K profit but 37K............. Man.......
I agree with you 100%. And folks claiming "we don't have evidence" so we can't be certain blah blah blah are just sticking their heads in the sand

I've said it before, these pieces leave the ADs out the side door, and you really don't need to look further than the number of grays selling brand-new or like-brand-new pieces when there's a dearth of supply at ADs to understand what's happening.

But I would stop short of calling it "corruption" because the ADs and grays aren't "stealing" or scamming anyone out of their money. They've created a dislocation between supply and demand to drive prices higher but they're not forcing anyone to pay these inflated prices.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:47 AM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
I agree with you 100%. And folks claiming "we don't have evidence" so we can't be certain blah blah blah are just sticking their heads in the sand

I've said it before, these pieces leave the ADs out the side door, and you really don't need to look further than the number of grays selling brand-new or like-brand-new pieces when there's a dearth of supply at ADs to understand what's happening.
Amazing how much I can disagree with in a single post.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:56 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
What you are correct in is the intrinsic value of the 5711. This is meaningless, however, in that it is the supply and demand dynamic which determines value. But intrinsic value still plays a very large role in the supply of things. Yes, to me also, I had a hard time seeimg the value in the 5711 even at the old price of 23K. Outdated movement in a flimsly bracelet with a finicky clasp. Then in 2012, they changed from screws to push pins. (Clearly in my view, a cost savings move, although the company maintains their screws could come out and the pins eliminated this problem) Screws are heavier than the bracelet material so the screws added a definite feel, weight and drape to the watch bracelet which made it elegant. The pins being lighter than the bracelet material took a lot of feel and drape away. Watchbox just has a video where on the table was a 5711 which was touted as having the screws.

So long way around and here we are we. Legitimate buyers who wait for years for these watches, finally get them and realize they are okay but not special. They may be worth retail but are not worth 60K plus. After some thought, with very mixed emotions and deep regret, I suspect, they sell their watches. So it is not dishonest dealers, but rather the old "value for the buck" principal which may be driving the aftermarket supply.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 03:10 AM   #7
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
There’s a large well known AD who was called out on here for doing this a few years back... lots of drama in that thread and I think the company got upset about being mentioned too an admin had to step in.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #8
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
With that much money being left on the table,,,,, C'mon now.... I know what my gut tells me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 03:33 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This comes from personal experience. I know when I wait extended periods for these in demand pieces, the hype builds so much for me. Then 18plus months later or whatever you receive this thing that you’ve built up so much. Then, it kinda disappoints a little. I suspect, that may contribute to you seeing a few like new pieces winding up on forums. During that 18 plus month wait, I’ve already identified 3 other FOMO watches I NEED, cause all I do is see them on all your wrists as I wait. Maybe it’s just me

My problem is this was back just before the craze, so I wasnt cashing out tons of gains.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 04:18 AM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What you are correct in is the intrinsic value of the 5711. This is meaningless, however, in that it is the supply and demand dynamic which determines value. But intrinsic value still plays a very large role in the supply of things. Yes, to me also, I had a hard time seeimg the value in the 5711 even at the old price of 23K. Outdated movement in a flimsly bracelet with a finicky clasp. Then in 2012, they changed from screws to push pins. (Clearly in my view, a cost savings move, although the company maintains their screws could come out and the pins eliminated this problem) Screws are heavier than the bracelet material so the screws added a definite feel, weight and drape to the watch bracelet which made it elegant. The pins being lighter than the bracelet material took a lot of feel and drape away. Watchbox just has a video where on the table was a 5711 which was touted as having the screws.

So long way around and here we are we. Legitimate buyers who wait for years for these watches, finally get them and realize they are okay but not special. They may be worth retail but are not worth 60K plus. After some thought, with very mixed emotions and deep regret, I suspect, they sell their watches. So it is not dishonest dealers, but rather the old "value for the buck" principal which may be driving the aftermarket supply.
Really well said. I got to wear one for a day and I was incredibly unimpressed with it. That was when the price tag was 24K. I remember thinking the AP 15400 what is significantly better. Having said that a Patek is a Patek and so there is much value there. I just sincerely don’t understand the price tag for this one. Same goes for the 5711-1R. My Day Date IMHO has a much better build quality. Obviously not as fine-tuned a movement but the quality of the bracelet and case build is better or just as good. Anyway, I agree with your comments 100%.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #11
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I think the scope to be corrupt is fairly limited if I'm honest. Certainly here in the UK.
Desirable watches aren't always controlled by the AD.

When I got my 5711, Patek UK had stuck my name on the box. I passed on a 5711/1r and Patek UK knew I had. I'm waiting on a 5980/1r - when the watch comes all sealed, once again, it will arrive at my AD with my name on it.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #12
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Corruption nice... there was a sex scandal too lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 04:36 AM   #13
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I really doubt dealer gives him so much ,maybe 5k

Btw there s an article on that topic

Thewatchbaron.com

Title is bubble

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #14
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Corruption nice... there was a sex scandal too lol
I wish I could change the title since it seems to bother some of you. My only thinking was that Patek corporate would find an inside sales person at one of their authorized dealers participating in something like this as being corrupt. If you disagree I understand.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #15
YYR
"TRF" Member

Anyone know where I can get a 5711/1a blue?
*ps I only want from an AD because I wanna flip it
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 05:14 AM   #16
YYR
"TRF" Member

I think Tourneau would have one
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 06:05 AM   #17
hideki4
Banned

The sales guys making 60k a year are rarely ever involved in allocating Nautiluses. It is always the manager, GM, or owner of an AD who decides who gets the Nautiluses.
hideki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 06:08 AM   #18
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki4 View Post
The sales guys making 60k a year are rarely ever involved in allocating Nautiluses. It is always the manager, GM, or owner of an AD who decides who gets the Nautiluses.
Excellent point however the same applies.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki4 View Post
Exactly, it's the owner of the AD who is making an extra $15K on the Nautilus/Aquanaut, and not just on one or two, but on all of them. That's why he (or she) drives a Porsche.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 07:31 AM   #20
Uros
"TRF" Member

Its not sales persons but ADs owner and close dealers, the same way you are buying low demand pieces at discount on grey market you are getting high demand ones with premium, its the same channel...

Bought my first ap via grey at discount and guarantee was stamped few weeks before by regular AD...no questions asked...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 08:36 AM   #21
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
There’s a large well known AD who was called out on here for doing this a few years back... lots of drama in that thread and I think the company got upset about being mentioned too an admin had to step in.
You are conflating two things, the issue you mention was nothing to do with selling pieces out the back door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Exactly, it's the owner of the AD who is making an extra $15K on the Nautilus/Aquanaut, and not just on one or two, but on all of them. That's why he (or she) drives a Porsche.
You are suggesting the owner of a successful Patek AD can’t afford a Porsche without selling pieces direct to greys for a cut?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 09:52 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
They are back today defending themselves on another forum.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:35 AM   #23
martinr
"TRF" Member

I don’t know whether PP cares about they grey market or not but I do know they read this forum. I know from experience. When my AD invited me as part of a group to tour the manufacture I mentioned it on here. I posted a copy of the invitation and itinerary with names etc. redacted. A couple days later my AD called and said he heard from PP about it and they wanted it removed. So I contacted a mod and they deleted the post. Same AD told me about a customer that had spent four million USD over the years. He got an application piece and promptly sold it at auction. PP cut him off I was told. I don’t know how they do that because he could always buy from another AD or use another name. But the point is they do have this Big Brother is watching attitude. I personally don’t like it.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:41 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Lol
Old 27 January 2020, 10:43 AM   #25
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
I don’t know whether PP cares about they grey market or not but I do know they read this forum. I know from experience. When my AD invited me as part of a group to tour the manufacture I mentioned it on here. I posted a copy of the invitation and itinerary with names etc. redacted. A couple days later my AD called and said he heard from PP about it and they wanted it removed. So I contacted a mod and they deleted the post. Same AD told me about a customer that had spent four million USD over the years. He got an application piece and promptly sold it at auction. PP cut him off I was told. I don’t know how they do that because he could always buy from another AD or use another name. But the point is they do have this Big Brother is watching attitude. I personally don’t like it.
So if I dislike someone... I could just OUT them here.

Lol
Old 27 January 2020, 10:46 AM   #26
aa909
Banned

Luxury items commanding 300% premiums on the aftermarket and you guys really think the ADs aren't going to find a way to take their piece of it??

aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:49 AM   #27
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
So if I dislike someone... I could just OUT them here.

Lol
You could. But don’t be a rat. The sales lady at Tiffany is already gunning for you so to speak.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 10:50 AM   #28
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
You could. But don’t be a rat. The sales lady at Tiffany is already gunning for you so to speak.
She can gun all she wants her jobs at risk not mine. Suckka
Old 27 January 2020, 11:38 AM   #29
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
You are suggesting the owner of a successful Patek AD can’t afford a Porsche without selling pieces direct to greys for a cut?
Yeah. That is the most I've heard in a while.

That explains why I'm so corrupt. I drive a Porsche.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:13 PM   #30
hideki4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Where?
hideki4 is offline   Reply With Quote