The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2020, 01:21 AM   #1
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
Evolution of this Rolex sub forum

Another thread sparked this query.....If this sub forum has changed so much for the worse, how can YOU, help it to remain in its old glory?

I happen resemble a post, referring to new members, and starting repetitive, ignorant questions. I personally try to search first, before posting. BUT the repeat question, is probably as relative as the first time, as much as each consecutive post. Different members chime in and add more to these questions with each repeat. Newbies always ask the dumb questions, give us a break.....

There's always something to teach or learn from the experts here.

This occasional maieutic method attempts to teach, are usually mistaken for an abrupt or harsh reply (ie: grumpy). Remember the emotion intended is lacking on every forum out there....

If I could ask one thing, it would be the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.....

I'm a sponge here, sucking up as much info as I can. Please, I hope to learn more!

WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:45 AM   #2
AJV_36
Banned

Watch: Submariner w/date
100% agree! Could not have said it better!
I love all the questions even if I think I know the answer I read all the other post to see if I’m correct in my thinking or need to change my thinking. I absolutely hate reading all the arrogant comments people make. My thing is if you believe it’s such a dummy silly question why waste your time commenting on it. Blows my my mind hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJV_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Was this the thread about a man that bought a watch he really didn’t want because the dealer told him it was a hard to get model?? If people put their bad decisions on a public forum anything can happen. I to am offended by such comments.
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:52 AM   #4
1Zach1
"TRF" Member

Let’s go back to the glory days of every other post asking for how to get the best discount from an AD. Those were the days.
1Zach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #5
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
I can understand what the old timers are feeling and saying. I'm sure the Forum is way different than it used to be but so is the entire watch world. Money has become a big part of the hobby. Maybe when the frenzy dies off so will the relate $$$ posts. I'm a newbie but enjoy the forum a great deal, lots to learn and discuss.

I'm sure the number of members is way up from way back and with nothing new and inspiring coming from Rolex lately most subjects are going to get exhausted fairly quickly.

Lets hope at this year's Basel, Rolex gives us something new to talk about for a while.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:03 AM   #6
Jdepo
"TRF" Member

I totally agree. I found that recently, the forum mods are quite rude as well (Maybe just the one that responded to me).

No attempt to teach the right way to post but a quick and snark response making me feel “dumb”.

To that mod — Sorry for joining...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jdepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:05 AM   #7
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
I think more watches n steering wheel posts will help
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:06 AM   #8
MSchu
Banned

I suggest WE ALL submit our queries and Comments to wirstrolex BEFORE we post anything... in that way we can be sure that the said meets OP's criteria for appropriate postings.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:10 AM   #9
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
I suggest WE ALL submit our queries and Comments to wirstrolex BEFORE we post anything... in that way we can be sure that the said meets OP's criteria for appropriate postings.
Apparently the mods didn't want to hear from the real crowd....So, to you Mr. hachu, I'll say this post was sarcastic and unnecessary!
Old 27 January 2020, 02:11 AM   #10
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post

Yikes. I guess you didn't even read til the end of his post did you?
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:13 AM   #11
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Mr. Peter, This thread was meant for the ROLEX GENERAL SECTION....NOT open discussion....It now will get swept away without hearing from those that participate....move it back.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:13 AM   #12
Jabbo84
Banned

I also agree that the models released by Rolex are somewhat boring. Every year just another colored bezel is slapped on an existing model. On the BMW forum they have a cool picture thread where anything goes but nudity. Perhaps some snapshots of girls in swimwear sporting some of the “ hot” models would be the thing needed to spark new interest and positive comments.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

The phenomenon of older members bemoaning the evolution of their forum over time whilst pointing out the inadequacies of newer members is something I’ve seen to a greater or lesser extent on every forum I’ve frequented.

It’s the same phenomenon that leads people to feel like the past was a better place even though objectively, it wasn’t.

It’s just human nature, exacerbated by the emboldening effects of anonymity and remoteness.

Don’t take it personally.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:15 AM   #14
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post

Yikes. I guess you didn't even read til the end of his post did you?
I think it was his weak attempt at humor....it's all good I want to hear!
Old 27 January 2020, 02:18 AM   #15
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
The phenomenon of older members bemoaning the evolution of their forum over time whilst pointing out the inadequacies of newer members is something I’ve seen to a greater or lesser extent on every forum I’ve frequented.

It’s the same phenomenon that leads people to feel like the past was a better place even though objectively, it wasn’t.

It’s just human nature, exacerbated by the emboldening effects of anonymity and remoteness.

Don’t take it personally.
Yep, Every forum evolves....It's just these "want to be mods" and mods that continue to post up insulting type posts....It's not good. Everyone has to start somewhere...
Old 27 January 2020, 02:23 AM   #16
WRISTROLEX
Banned

I find it odd that a question such as " do you take a bath" remains on the general section but this ROLEX GENERAL TOPIC gets moved....Guessing those above couldn't take the heat in the real sub forum....
Old 27 January 2020, 02:30 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think forums all ebb and flow with the world. And members age and get tired of the same threads but that's just the nature of the beast.

New excited people come in and ask the "dumb" questions we all asked when we were new. And we can't forget this is not just a horology forum but because it's Rolex, by nature it can lean to lifestyle/ego etc that a forum like PP or Omega possibly never would. Rolex is a "new money" goal watch and as such it attracts those people.

I would suggest though that we do have a "watch as investment" subforum for those people who really are in the game for that aspect. Then the people that hate that type of thread don't really have to look at the posts.

Other than that, like I said before, STAY THE HELL OF MY LAWN.
Blansky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:38 AM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRISTROLEX View Post
Mr. Peter, This thread was meant for the ROLEX GENERAL SECTION....NOT open discussion....It now will get swept away without hearing from those that participate....move it back.
Threads that are allowed in any forum is up to any mod or admin and if moved thats final end of story.And as it was not Rolex watch related was moved to the appropriate forum, and I do not take orders from anyone, now if you do not like this you are free to leave.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 02:39 AM   #19
Jabbo84
Banned

.....in before the lock
Old 27 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #20
Jabbo84
Banned

Maybe it’s time for Wristolex to pick up his toy car in his dig and go home. Lol
Old 27 January 2020, 03:14 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Another thread sparked this query.....If this sub forum has changed so much for the worse, how can YOU, help it to remain in its old glory?

I happen resemble a post, referring to new members, and starting repetitive, ignorant questions. I personally try to search first, before posting. BUT the repeat question, is probably as relative as the first time, as much as each consecutive post. Different members chime in and add more to these questions with each repeat. Newbies always ask the dumb questions, give us a break.....

There's always something to teach or learn from the experts here.

This occasional maieutic method attempts to teach, are usually mistaken for an abrupt or harsh reply (ie: grumpy). Remember the emotion intended is lacking on every forum out there....

If I could ask one thing, it would be the old saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.....

I'm a sponge here, sucking up as much info as I can. Please, I hope to learn more!

You’re overthinking this place.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 03:16 AM   #22
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
You’re overthinking this place.
Larry!!!

Wait, wrong thread.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 03:21 AM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Larry!!!

Wait, wrong thread.
Larry!!!!

https://youtu.be/SbuVif1YzJw
Old 27 January 2020, 03:23 AM   #24
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Threads that are allowed in any forum is up to any mod or admin and if moved thats final end of story.And as it was not Rolex watch related was moved to the appropriate forum, and I do not take orders from anyone, now if you do not like this you are free to leave.
Mr. Peter, We have not met but I'll say that I'm not here to argue with you....I made the thread to speak to the MAIN section group, where this problem seems to be most relevant. It was specifically Rolex Sub Forum related, IMO.

I will add, your reply here does happen to contain exactly this hostility, I so described....I want the knowledge you hold, as well as most new members I'm sure.

My motive was to incite a nice conversation, to assist us newbies, and remind, that everyone has to begin at some point. We all don't come here knowing what you long timers do.

No doubt, it's your decision where to place, move, delete, or further posts or threads. I'll defer to your decisions, in all cases, of course.

Anybody can turn any subject into something it's not, here's proof....

Have a great weekend!
Old 27 January 2020, 03:25 AM   #25
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Way funny! I've been called Larry before!!!!

Nah, some of these posts are somewhat out of order for any forum...

I like yours!!
Old 27 January 2020, 04:17 AM   #26
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Everybody wants their thread to be in the Rolex General Discussion board because it's the busiest board here. We see that Board as a discussion forum for Rolex watches, not a catch-all. If we allow everything to be posted there, we wouldn't need the other sub-forums, which help keep things organized and make the main board easier to navigate.

Your discussion was about "How can you make the forum a better place, or like it 'used to be.' " (I've paraphrased)

TRF is made up of all of it's components, it's appropriately an "open" discussion.

Do you want to make us better? Are you guessing after only a month here? Or are you a returning member?

Do you know what TRF was like in it's "glory days"? Are we no longer in our glory? - or have we sunk so low that our glow is a mere shadow?

Members do like to post to threads, it's what passes for discussion, even though some comments may be poorly conceived, it still allows participation.

We do recognize the membership has changed, including you, and frequently discuss merits and detriments of individual users.

We listen to everybody, we just might not agree, or even if we do, we still need to analyze impact on the Forum as a whole.
Old 27 January 2020, 04:35 AM   #27
Jabbo84
Banned

Well said Tools. Bravo
Old 27 January 2020, 05:04 AM   #28
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Everybody wants their thread to be in the Rolex General Discussion board because it's the busiest board here. We see that Board as a discussion forum for Rolex watches, not a catch-all. If we allow everything to be posted there, we wouldn't need the other sub-forums, which help keep things organized and make the main board easier to navigate.

Your discussion was about "How can you make the forum a better place, or like it 'used to be.' " (I've paraphrased)

TRF is made up of all of it's components, it's appropriately an "open" discussion.

Do you want to make us better? Are you guessing after only a month here? Or are you a returning member?

Do you know what TRF was like in it's "glory days"? Are we no longer in our glory? - or have we sunk so low that our glow is a mere shadow?

Members do like to post to threads, it's what passes for discussion, even though some comments may be poorly conceived, it still allows participation.

We do recognize the membership has changed, including you, and frequently discuss merits and detriments of individual users.

We listen to everybody, we just might not agree, or even if we do, we still need to analyze impact on the Forum as a whole.
Hi Mr. Larry,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the thread with all your wisdom, sincerely! I am new here not returning but am very familiar with online forums and the BS that comes along with them....And, yes it is the majority I was attempting to speak with, not these El Camino drivin, Texans...

It's clear not all moderators are equal.....

It's these direct insults from baby mods (rats) and this one mod above, saying that new members are ruining this place. This is what got under my skin (being one of these new guys) and lead to my attempt to help out..But we all know "No good deed ever goes unpunished...". I'd have to say if these very same people aren't happy with what this place has morphed into, then here let ME show YOU the door.....

So, these glory days (others seem to have lost) I can not answer to, as I wasn't lucky enough to have afforded the Rolex on my arm earlier in life and found this place. As I have said, I'm learning here, and still trying to figure out why some off topic threads remain in General and then directly related ones get moved....Ass kissing might be it?

With that, again thanks for talking with me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
Well said Tools. Bravo
When you can match up to my collection of real cars in my garage, come back and we can talk....
Old 27 January 2020, 05:11 AM   #29
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Way funny! I've been called Larry before!!!!

Nah, some of these posts are somewhat out of order for any forum...

I like yours!!
Cool.

Stay a while and have fun.
Old 27 January 2020, 05:23 AM   #30
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Hi Mr. Larry,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the thread with all your wisdom, sincerely! I am new here not returning but am very familiar with online forums and the BS that comes along with them....And, yes it is the majority I was attempting to speak with, not these El Camino drivin, Texans...

It's clear not all moderators are equal.....

It's these direct insults from baby mods (rats) and this one mod above, saying that new members are ruining this place. This is what got under my skin (being one of these new guys) and lead to my attempt to help out..But we all know "No good deed ever goes unpunished...". I'd have to say if these very same people aren't happy with what this place has morphed into, then here let ME show YOU the door.....

So, these glory days (others seem to have lost) I can not answer to, as I wasn't lucky enough to have afforded the Rolex on my arm earlier in life and found this place. As I have said, I'm learning here, and still trying to figure out why some off topic threads remain in General and then directly related ones get moved....Ass kissing might be it?

With that, again thanks for talking with me!

When you can match up to my collection of real cars in my garage, come back and we can talk....
You have a set on you. Your underhanded insults aren't going to win you any favors. Too bad you won't be around long to learn much more.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote