The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 March 2022, 05:25 PM   #1
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

It was my lucky day!

Guys I can’t believe my luck. A couple of weeks ago, I walked out of the Rolex boutique in Santa Clara with this beauty on my wrist. How did this happen? I can only say I gave my opinion to the salesman (he happened to be the owner’s son, which I didn’t know while venting) about how frustrating it was to walk into these empty Rolex stores and be reminded time and again to build a relationship. I said, "What else do you guys want customers to do?" We keep getting turned away. Sometimes you guys put us on a waitlist and then say there is no more waitlist. You, as ADs, complain about supply and demand and long wait times, yet the same watch can be produced in two days if you pay a premium to a grey market dealer.What’s going on? "

The dude patiently listened to all my venting and politely told me that it was true: there were no more wait lists and it was based on allocation."
I said, "Then it’s contradictory to what you guys say about no waitlist. If there is an allocation, it means you are keeping some kind of list". He said, "We huddle as a team and then everyone chimes in about who should get what, and then as a team we decide GMT goes to salesman X’s customer A, Submariner would be sold to salesman B’s customer Y, and so on." He also cleared up a lot of confusion about grey dealers. He said, "It’s a wrong notion that we are selling watches to grey dealers. It’s actually the flippers who walk in and make quick bucks selling the watches right after they walk out of the store, and this is something we are trying to curb.
I said, "Look, I have this Rolex, bought in such a year, still have it. I have a RADO on my wrist that I bought twenty years ago. I have this Omega Speedmaster (that watch brought a smile on his face and he said it was iconic.) So in short, I am a collector. "
He told me to keep building a relationship with his employee that I mentioned at the beginning of our. conversation. Though I didn’t want to say anything bad, I still told him I would like to have a business relationship with him. I took his business card and that’s how I came to know he was the owner’s son and was now running the show. Then we walked inside the boutique, looking at exhibition models. He stopped at a case and, as if talking to himself, he said, "Oh, it was being purchased by another customer. Maybe the purchase didn’t go through and it’s back. Let me check. " He then came back in a couple of minutes and said, "Yeah, this is available." I asked him, "what is it?" and he showed me this beautiful two tone Wimbledon Datejust 41 in all its glory. The rest is history, and I am glad I didn’t let it go. So, after all, it’s not as gloomy as it looks. The ADs are there to sell the watches. It's about being in the right place at the right time 😀
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E40B02F9-9E0D-4FAE-83E5-E5361D4211E3.jpeg (85.5 KB, 2836 views)
File Type: jpeg E4E0EC21-3F34-4555-ABBB-37C6432724C8.jpeg (80.3 KB, 2815 views)
File Type: jpeg F7EA315E-E3ED-475F-BE46-503C734398BD.jpeg (81.1 KB, 2799 views)
Rolex-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 05:33 PM   #2
28mm
"TRF" Member

Good for you! great watch!
Old 3 March 2022, 09:29 PM   #3
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Congrats on the DJ. Was this the watch that you wanted to purchase? If so then serendipitous timing for sure.
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 09:35 PM   #4
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Very nice watch, congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 09:42 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Really nice, congratulations and enjoy it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 10:15 PM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Sweet. Yes, sometimes it's just dumb luck.

Or, in my case, just dumb.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 10:16 PM   #7
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Congrats
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 10:21 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 10:57 PM   #9
ag986
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233, First Rolex
Great story, congratulations!
ag986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2022, 11:05 PM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-fan View Post
Guys I can’t believe my luck. A couple of weeks ago, I walked out of the Rolex boutique in Santa Clara with this beauty on my wrist. How did this happen? I can only say I gave my opinion to the salesman (he happened to be the owner’s son, which I didn’t know while venting) about how frustrating it was to walk into these empty Rolex stores and be reminded time and again to build a relationship. I said, "What else do you guys want customers to do?" We keep getting turned away. Sometimes you guys put us on a waitlist and then say there is no more waitlist. You, as ADs, complain about supply and demand and long wait times, yet the same watch can be produced in two days if you pay a premium to a grey market dealer.What’s going on? "

The dude patiently listened to all my venting and politely told me that it was true: there were no more wait lists and it was based on allocation."
I said, "Then it’s contradictory to what you guys say about no waitlist. If there is an allocation, it means you are keeping some kind of list". He said, "We huddle as a team and then everyone chimes in about who should get what, and then as a team we decide GMT goes to salesman X’s customer A, Submariner would be sold to salesman B’s customer Y, and so on." He also cleared up a lot of confusion about grey dealers. He said, "It’s a wrong notion that we are selling watches to grey dealers. It’s actually the flippers who walk in and make quick bucks selling the watches right after they walk out of the store, and this is something we are trying to curb.
I said, "Look, I have this Rolex, bought in such a year, still have it. I have a RADO on my wrist that I bought twenty years ago. I have this Omega Speedmaster (that watch brought a smile on his face and he said it was iconic.) So in short, I am a collector. "
He told me to keep building a relationship with his employee that I mentioned at the beginning of our. conversation. Though I didn’t want to say anything bad, I still told him I would like to have a business relationship with him. I took his business card and that’s how I came to know he was the owner’s son and was now running the show. Then we walked inside the boutique, looking at exhibition models. He stopped at a case and, as if talking to himself, he said, "Oh, it was being purchased by another customer. Maybe the purchase didn’t go through and it’s back. Let me check. " He then came back in a couple of minutes and said, "Yeah, this is available." I asked him, "what is it?" and he showed me this beautiful two tone Wimbledon Datejust 41 in all its glory. The rest is history, and I am glad I didn’t let it go. So, after all, it’s not as gloomy as it looks. The ADs are there to sell the watches. It's about being in the right place at the right time 😀
Next time I go to the ADs, I would like you to go with me
Old 4 March 2022, 12:02 AM   #11
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
That is awesome if that is the watch that you originally wanted to purchase. It only proves your venting was true if that wasn't what you originally wanted and you just bought it because it was there and available.

Regardless, it's a beautiful piece and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Looks fantastic! Hopefully it now allows you to get more pieces from this AD.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 12:10 AM   #12
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Damn right. I've had this exact same conversation with my people but still waiting on my last one

Major congrats brother. Always nice to at least see some getting watches via an A D
Old 4 March 2022, 01:09 AM   #13
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
You wanted that watch?
Ok, congrats!
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 01:21 AM   #14
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
Beautiful watch, Congratulations

I am also curious, is that the watch that you were seeking, or did you just buy it because it was what was available?
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 01:29 AM   #15
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Congrats
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 01:30 AM   #16
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Did you specifically request that watch?
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 01:36 AM   #17
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Very cool story. You got a sound point out and was listened to. Big thing is he had decision making power as the owners son, that really helps!
Old 4 March 2022, 01:47 AM   #18
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28mm View Post
Good for you! great watch!
thank you!
Old 4 March 2022, 01:50 AM   #19
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcampado View Post
Congrats on the DJ. Was this the watch that you wanted to purchase? If so then serendipitous timing for sure.
This was one of the Rolex watches on my bucket list and certainly the one among DJ41s.
Old 4 March 2022, 01:52 AM   #20
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Very cool story. You got a sound point out and was listened to. Big thing is he had decision making power as the owners son, that really helps!
I agree. He figured out that I was not from the flipper nation. 😃
Old 4 March 2022, 01:54 AM   #21
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post
Did you specifically request that watch?
No, as I mentioned in my post, I was never taken seriously by one salesman I used to bump into every time. Though I had bought a Breitling from them a few years back. In the years to follows, either they would supposedly put me on a wait list, or politely deny availability. Just fyi, now they are a Rolex-only boutique.
Old 4 March 2022, 01:55 AM   #22
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Congrats
Thank you.
Old 4 March 2022, 01:56 AM   #23
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Beautiful watch, Congratulations

I am also curious, is that the watch that you were seeking, or did you just buy it because it what was available?
This was on my wish list along with a few other Rolex watches.
Old 4 March 2022, 02:01 AM   #24
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Lol. I think during my trips to these ADs and then looking at the grey market trend, it was just a pent up frustration. To be honest, I was not hopeful in getting one, but, I still wanted to have a solid conversation about how serious I was in buying exquisite Rolex pieces. Initially they told me they had a Day date 36 and nothing else available at this time. But, by the time we finished talking, luckily this wimbledon got available.
Old 4 March 2022, 02:03 AM   #25
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Damn right. I've had this exact same conversation with my people but still waiting on my last one

Major congrats brother. Always nice to at least see some getting watches via an A D
Thank you. All Rolex watches I have are bought from ADs at retail including Batman jubilee.
Old 4 March 2022, 02:05 AM   #26
Rolex-fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
That is awesome if that is the watch that you originally wanted to purchase. It only proves your venting was true if that wasn't what you originally wanted and you just bought it because it was there and available.

Regardless, it's a beautiful piece and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come. Looks fantastic! Hopefully it now allows you to get more pieces from this AD.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It was one on my list. Yes, he gave me a hint of coming back and buying more from them, when he said,” We hope you won’t bug us for next six months 😉.”
Old 4 March 2022, 02:21 AM   #27
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Nice
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 02:28 AM   #28
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Nice score, timing can be everything. Congrats!
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 03:24 AM   #29
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Big congrats! I have the TT Everose Wimbledon and love it.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 03:49 AM   #30
novae500
"TRF" Member

Glad your frustrations and showing you are a loyal brand customer and not a flipper got you the DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dj41 , jubilee , lucky , rolex , wimbledon