The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 February 2021, 04:41 PM   #1
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Bunch of new releases on GS website

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/all

Looks like a handful of new GMT and a new limited edition variant of the hi-beat 80 hour SLGH, at a fairly inflated price. The GMTs are still a little thick at 14 mm and none of them particularly appeal to me.

Here's hoping a new Snowflake spring drive gets released soon... 39.5 mm diameter and <12 mm thickness with the new 5-day reserve would be perfect.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 04:58 PM   #2
snarkq
"TRF" Member

how many new seasons did the marketing team invent with this new batch of releases?
snarkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 05:06 PM   #3
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Im guessing the new hibeat and spring drive movements have production limitations. GS is still putting out new models with the old movements.

The SLGH007 is cool. But EUr60,000 for a platinum hi-beat watch. Wow....SLGH003/005 looking even more attractive.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 05:07 PM   #4
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

And the 8-day at EUR200,000...bonkers. I know it has diamonds or whatever but the original 8-day retailed for 60k or so.
Old 25 February 2021, 05:48 PM   #5
munichblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkq View Post
how many new seasons did the marketing team invent with this new batch of releases?
Prepare yourself for 20 more watches as there are 24 seasonal phases in Japan.
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 07:19 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Pretty nice GIF by GS of the new seasons GMTs:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLswY1yD...d=psawr1qr6etl
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 09:14 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
There are many new releases today, it seems, across the board. It's hard to keep up!
Old 25 February 2021, 09:33 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
There are a lot of new watches and it will take me a minute to digest it all. I do like the new SPB white dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 10:39 PM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munichblue View Post
Prepare yourself for 20 more watches as there are 24 seasonal phases in Japan.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 06:42 AM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Old 26 February 2021, 07:27 AM   #11
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Looks like these are using the old movements and not the updated ones from last spring. Probably why the cases are extra thick still.

I'm waiting on the new movements to trickle down into their $5000 range stuff
thenewrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 07:38 AM   #12
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
Looks like these are using the old movements and not the updated ones from last spring. Probably why the cases are extra thick still.

Newrick newmovement
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 08:47 AM   #13
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post

It's unclear whether this will happen. There are seemingly conflicting answers from the HSNY Q&A (full article here):

Quote:
Q: The technology and level of finishing in the 9SA5 is superb, and the price of the new high beats reflects that. Given that you plan to roll out this movement (or variants of it) broadly, should we expect a step change in GS price points?

A: While the new 9SA5 caliber does reflect a higher price than the 9S8 series calibers (example SBGH281: $6,300 vs SLGH003: $9,700, there will not be a change exactly in price points. There will just be two different price segments between the two calibers coexisting. (Response provided by Mr. Joseph Kirk)
Quote:
Q: Will the new 9SA5 movement make its way into lower priced models?

A: Yes, we are going to develop a range of products based upon this new caliber in the future which will include a price point significantly lower than the 60th anniversary limited edition model (SLGH002), an example of which is SLGH003 recently announced. (Response provided by Mr. Akio Naito)
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:00 AM   #14
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Will bite when the new 9SA5 movement trickles down to the $6k range. Anything beyond $7k, then it has to be a Rolex.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:26 AM   #15
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdev View Post
Will bite when the new 9SA5 movement trickles down to the $6k range. Anything beyond $7k, then it has to be a Rolex.
I'm excited to see the 9SA5 in lower price point models. However, if I look at my SLGH003 and think about they'd have to compromise to cut the price by 40% (movement finishing, case finishing, dial, bracelet, etc.), my excitement wanes.

And, for the record, I wear my SLGH003 more than my Rolexes. I can't say that for my other Grand Seikos
Old 26 February 2021, 10:03 AM   #16
bremersm
Banned

Man the 24 Seasons Summer and the new birch GS are amazing and if I was in the market I would look to add either to the collection.

It seems that GS is quickly moving to take on Rolex based on price. I do feel that they could work to slim down their catalog though. The number of choices is staggering.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:13 AM   #17
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
And, for the record, I wear my SLGH003 more than my Rolexes. I can't say that for my other Grand Seikos
Hardly surprising - that SLGH003 is such a gorgeous piece.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:36 AM   #18
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm excited to see the 9SA5 in lower price point models. However, if I look at my SLGH003 and think about they'd have to compromise to cut the price by 40% (movement finishing, case finishing, dial, bracelet, etc.), my excitement wanes.

what about your sbgw231? i prefer a smidge more WR than splashproof but i always liked that design. would love having the 9sa5 movement in a diver with an urushi dial.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:02 AM   #19
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Hardly surprising - that SLGH003 is such a gorgeous piece.
Agreed! And it doesn't hurt to be the first steel GS with the next gen movements and LE . There are still some in NYC if anyone's looking (at least as of a few days ago)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
what about your sbgw231? i prefer a smidge more WR than splashproof but i always liked that design. would love having the 9sa5 movement in a diver with an urushi dial.
I do love my SBGW231. It ticks a lot of my "enthusiast boxes"... box domed crystal, domed dial with curved hands, manual wind, 37mm, works well on colorful straps. It's all around a joy to have on the wrist. That said, you really feel the build quality differences between the SBGW231 and SLGH003, as you'd expect from the 2x+ price difference. Plus, the SLGH003 is the new baby, so I've been wearing it a lot more!
Old 27 February 2021, 05:30 AM   #20
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Bunch of new releases on GS website

Adding a movement pic as well to really highlight the difference in finishing and movement architecture:
9S64 (SBGW231), 9SA5 (SLGH003), 9R65 (SBGA429)
Old 27 February 2021, 02:39 PM   #21
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
SLGH007...wow!!! so nice!
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 05:36 PM   #22
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

Adding a movement pic as well to really highlight the difference in finishing and movement architecture:
9S64 (SBGW231), 9SA5 (SLGH003), 9R65 (SBGA429)
Gorgeous trio. Really beautiful movements from GS. The new 9SA5 is a winner, that caseback is phenomenal. Wish the dial didn't have "80 Hours" and "Hi-Beat 36000" written on it.... GS should know better, less is more.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 12:32 AM   #23
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I love a lot of GS watches, but am I the only one who doesn’t like that little SD meter on the dial? That’s a deal-breaker for me. I know they’ve been on dials for a while on certain models, but I was hoping more new SD models would eliminate the meters. Not sure why they’re necessary. If it’s just because it’s cool to see it, stick it in the back somehow, visible through the case-back window.

There’s a lot of talk about GS movements and the thickness of their watches, but for me it’s virtually all about the dial. If that’s beautiful, as it often is with GS, I wouldn’t care if a rubber band and paper clip was powering the movement.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 01:59 AM   #24
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I love a lot of GS watches, but am I the only one who doesn’t like that little SD meter on the dial? That’s a deal-breaker for me. I know they’ve been on dials for a while on certain models, but I was hoping more new SD models would eliminate the meters. Not sure why they’re necessary. If it’s just because it’s cool to see it, stick it in the back somehow, visible through the case-back window.

There’s a lot of talk about GS movements and the thickness of their watches, but for me it’s virtually all about the dial. If that’s beautiful, as it often is with GS, I wouldn’t care if a rubber band and paper clip was powering the movement.
It’s taken me a few years but I’ve finally accepted the power reserve indicator on the spring drive models. It’s just a quick way to tell whether or not a watch has one. I know there are now models with the indicator on the back if that’s more your thing.

Edit- I just put a deposit on the pink spring 2019 model. The fall 2019 model is also quite nice. Of the new seasons collection my preference is for the fall black and gold or the summer waves.
Old 28 February 2021, 05:31 AM   #25
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Take a look at Credor. Plenty of spring drive models with power reserve on back and no text on dial except "Credor"
Old 28 February 2021, 06:34 AM   #26
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It’s been like that for many many years. Like Rolex’s cyclops. Either one love or one doesn’t (or one tolerates).
Old 28 February 2021, 07:54 AM   #27
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

Grand Seiko SLGH003

Quote:
Agreed! And it doesn't hurt to be the first steel GS with the next gen movements and LE . There are still some in NYC if anyone's looking (at least as of a few days ago)!

Sorry just testing
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2021, 09:09 AM   #28
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Movement really is a step up on the SLGH003, but besides that I really don’t care for it at all. This is huge step backwards for me in terms of design. I really don’t understand how that ridiculously oversized bracelet got approved. It makes the watch look like a 36 Datejust in terms of proportions. At least taper the thing.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 02:13 AM   #29
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgc240g

Wait...this reference is $10,400 MORE than the Steel SD Chrono? What am I missing here?

Same movement...just "limited" to 500 and add some gold bezel, pushers, hands and dial..and crown? It's not even a 2 tone bracelet.

That's just poor marketing. Adding a model to an already bloated lineup with an exorbitant retail will result in unsold watches.....yikes.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2021, 04:43 PM   #30
bleek
"TRF" Member

The Spring SBGJ249 looks like a horizontal or "fallen" birch
bleek is offline   Reply With Quote