The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 February 2021, 09:16 AM   #1
Wushik
"TRF" Member

5270/1r

I love this watch and got it offered from my AD. I have a week to decide and started scanning the internet just to realize it does not hold its value at all like big time. I found a piece from a reputable grey market (K2) dealer for tens of percent less. Any clue what is wrong with this model? Thanks for your views!
Wushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wushik View Post
I love this watch and got it offered from my AD. I have a week to decide and started scanning the internet just to realize it does not hold its value at all like big time. I found a piece from a reputable grey market (K2) dealer for tens of percent less. Any clue what is wrong with this model? Thanks for your views!
Nothing wrong with it at all, it’s a beautiful piece.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:45 AM   #3
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Nothing wrong with it. In fact it a fantastic watch with a lot of Patek DNA. It is just not a (steel) sports model which seems to be what is in vogue at the moment.

Depending on your situation with the AD in questions (e.g. would purchase of this make it easier to acquire other hard to get pieces down the road?) you might just want to take advantage of the very reasonable pricing for this model available at e.g. K2.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:15 AM   #4
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
There's nothing with the watch. And frankly nothing wrong with the depreciation. Pre-owned things are suppose to depreciate. The more expensive something is the more the depreciation typically is as well. More money, smaller buyer pool.

The 5270 are all marque Patek elements. It is actually "the" grand complication when people think Patek (it's lineage).

Watches are meant to depreciate. There is just a crazy phenomenon with sport and stainless steel watches right now that are working against the norm.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 05:23 PM   #5
taylorhall
"TRF" Member

The undertones of these topics... it’s a sign of the times...perhaps the new watch buyers are purchasing on beauty but with extra emphasis on value retention or value appreciation. I think the irony is most won’t sell regardless...it just helps rationalize a luxury purchase.

The 5270/1R is a beauty. You can likely leverage it to get a “hot” watch. Otherwise, buy what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
taylorhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 07:39 PM   #6
Wushik
"TRF" Member

Thank you for actually very good responses. I have bought a few already from the AD and actually never sold one Don’t even plan to sell this one. Also I have never bought grey market. Might try this time...
Wushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 08:12 PM   #7
JBP99p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for actually very good responses. I have bought a few already from the AD and actually never sold one Don’t even plan to sell this one. Also I have never bought grey market. Might try this time...
Personally I wouldn't go the grey market route but work with your AD on acquiring the piece and main the healthy relationship you have with them, there's lots of benefits in doing so imo

And BTW I think it's a stunning watch, I have the 5270R on strap and it's fantastic
JBP99p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:28 PM   #8
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The 5270 line has not performed well regardless of metal. The price was astronomical from the start of the initial 5270G then they introduced a lot of dial variations and most people prefer the previous generation 5970s. As for the watch there is nothing wrong with it but would never pay anywhere close to list price for this piece.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 10:31 PM   #9
broca00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorhall View Post
The undertones of these topics... it’s a sign of the times...perhaps the new watch buyers are purchasing on beauty but with extra emphasis on value retention or value appreciation. I think the irony is most won’t sell regardless...it just helps rationalize a luxury purchase.

The 5270/1R is a beauty. You can likely leverage it to get a “hot” watch. Otherwise, buy what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.
broca00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 01:05 AM   #10
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
For me, If I can’t sell and make a profit or at least get my dough back, I am not interested.If Ad won’t guarantee you a really desirable piece , like the replacement for 5711 which would make up for loss on purchase of this one or give me a substantial discount the
No deal and hello grey dealer. One of the wonderful joys of watch collecting in my opinion is that I can purchase well selected purchases that hold their value or actually will sell for more thanI paid. Just what works for me. :-)) james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 01:17 AM   #11
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Mr Wushnik do you realize you will lose about 40 grand USD if you should want to trade or sell when you buy at retail?! Please don’t do it :-(( james in San Antonio Tx
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:16 AM   #12
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
If I can’t sell and make a profit or at least get my dough back, I am not interested.
If the main element that drives your interest has nothing to do with the watches themselves, perhaps watch collecting is not for you. That's very much ok, of course.

OP, if the 5270r is the one your heart wants, all I can say is that it is a stunning piece. Buy it right and enjoy the heck out of it.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 02:55 AM   #13
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Just got them both this week and sold for

New 2020 - 147k
New 2021 - 150k

My speculation is that price on this ref. will definitely tank in the long run. Get 5270p instead.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2021, 11:33 AM   #14
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post

Just got them both this week and sold for

New 2020 - 147k
New 2021 - 150k

My speculation is that price on this ref. will definitely tank in the long run. Get 5270p instead.
do you also sell new 5270P date 2020/21? could you PM me the price. I'm interested in this piece. thank you!
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2021, 07:05 PM   #15
ZOU11
"TRF" Member

if PP comes up with a PCC thats hot or well-reiceived in the market, chances are you cant get them that easily in the boutiques. (think 5231, i dont think any AD will agree to pair you a nautilus or aquanaut for buying that model).

If you like the watch, buy it at AD, and get them to sell you a nautilus/aquanaut to sweeten the deal. Theres only upside from buying at AD, builds you a good relationship and get potentially builds you a VIP status that may help you to get other hot models in the future (invest now profit later haha).

When a premium brand isnt using in house movements, the majority of the people would complain about paying premium and not get inhouse movements; then the brand switches to in house and all of a sudden people are saying the in house movements arent as good. LOL

For people who dont like the dial of the 5270, I suggest you go check it out if you have the chance. The later revised 5270r,p,j look stunning IRL. The day/night & leap year indicator, I think that layout is also here to stay (check 5320G and newest 5236P). All these new PCs have their day/date windows & texts enlarged to benefit legibility. So IMO think the dial layout also isn't going to change.
ZOU11 is offline   Reply With Quote