The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 May 2021, 06:44 PM   #1
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15202
Modern Patek line up terrible

Is it just me or has the recent Patek Philippe line up been terrible.

The modern perpetual calendars are a mash up of cluttered dials , Bréguet numerals, ugly color combinations. The calatravas have no elegance. The only pieces which are beautiful are the minute repeaters - and it’s because there is not much too them.

I feel Patek is following the short term trends and losing its way.
rolexstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 07:48 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexstella View Post

The modern perpetual calendars are a mash up of cluttered dials , Bréguet numerals, ugly color combinations. The calatravas have no elegance. The only pieces which are beautiful are the minute repeaters - and it’s because there is not much too them.

It’s just you!
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 07:51 PM   #3
Robine
Banned

5196, 5119, 5146, 5130, 3940 or 5140, 5711. That would be enough. Ah, yes, the wonderful delicate minute repeaters, or these 33mm platinum rattapante chronos.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:16 PM   #4
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

I mean let’s look at the new line up -
Calatrava & Calendars - 50% are blue dials. These are supposed to be elegant dress watches not sporty blue dial watches. The 6119R is bold and cluttered - not elegant.

Nautilus - green dial. Ok I love it, but with the success of the hulk , its just following the trend. A last crowd pleaser , ok.

For me the only recent Patel which knew what it was is the 5960P. It’s smart casual elegance. This is the real contender that people will look back on.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:22 PM   #5
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Not really. Some are really good interpretation of old classics. The only one which was a bit of a let down this year is the AC in steel. But the rest of it are superb offerings!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:31 PM   #6
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
The modern perpetual calendars are a mash up of cluttered dials , Bréguet numerals, ugly color combinations.
I supposed my 5327 owe you an apology.

IMG_16052021_193051_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 09:36 PM   #7
Robine
Banned

5327R is nice, no doubt. But IWC called, they want their design language back.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:49 PM   #8
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I supposed my 5327 owes you an apology.

Attachment 1221610
There is no doubt many elements of this watch are beautiful. And overall it is a pleasant watch. But for me it’s where Patek is currently going wrong. I see it as a what I call a “crowd pleaser” give the individual elements people want, large case, Bréguet numerals, perpetual calendar. But when you put the whole thing together it has lost it soul. It feels like the direction IWC was going.

It has the Bréguet numerals ,but in the past these would’ve been balanced by an elegant simple face. The numerals already shout at you. Instead they match it with a perpetual calendar dial with the enlarged font of the 5140! The face is just screaming font and numerals everywhere I look.

I get it - it’s what people want now... but look at the 3448 !

I actually think the rise of the indépendants like FP Journe is because of the inability of Patek to innovate. They are not necessarily my favorite, but Imagine if one of these said “Patek Philippe” instead.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:59 PM   #9
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Subjective of course - but take a look - ON your wrist and after having checked you have the dosh in your bank account (which may be part of the problem as these watches are absurdly expensive ‘Veblen Goods’ ) at the 5230G and the 5172G. Both are classics Patek designs following the PP style and updated mechanics.

The 5172G is a joy to behold and the only problem with it is that it’s designed to be worn face up. The 5320G is grand complexity incarnate expressed as simply and readable as is possible.

The trouble with PP is that you need to be able to find one in the metal to appreciate it.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 10:01 PM   #10
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Not really. Some are really good interpretation of old classics. The only one which was a bit of a let down this year is the AC in steel. But the rest of it are superb offerings!
Couldn’t agree more about this stainless AC. The watch is confused - is it a sport watch ? Is it an elegant calendar with moonphase? Look at this bracelet - it’s horrific. I don’t know why Patek need to do this...
Old 16 May 2021, 10:10 PM   #11
rolexstella
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Subjective of course - but take a look - ON your wrist and after having checked you have the dosh in your bank account (which may be part of the problem as these watches are absurdly expensive ‘Veblen Goods’ ) at the 5230G and the 5172G. Both are classics Patek designs following the PP style and updated mechanics.

The 5172G is a joy to behold and the only problem with it is that it’s designed to be worn face up. The 5320G is grand complexity incarnate expressed as simply and readable as is possible.

The trouble with PP is that you need to be able to find one in the metal to appreciate it.

Actually these references you cite are the perfect examples of recent successes among the failures , because they have some simple themes. They are watches which broadly have a soul.

5172G- blue dial with chrono. Sporty with sporty.
5230G- not such a fan of world time so I don’t comment, but the cloisonné enamel is the best.
5320G- this is basically 3448 with a “sporty” upgrade the stick index change to numerals is well match by the hour/minute hand.
5960 to me is like a good cousin to this 5320.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:13 PM   #12
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more about this stainless AC. The watch is confused - is it a sport watch ? Is it an elegant calendar with moonphase? Look at this bracelet - it’s horrific. I don’t know why Patek need to do this...
The main thing I don’t understand with the steel AC is that they attempted the same concept with the bracelet for the 5960 and that was poorly received. Patek is hell bent on doing the same thing but expecting a different results.

Regarding hits and misses, I think generally all brands go through that though. AP with their recent black panther, Rolex with the Cellini, Richard Mille with the Stallone RM25-01. It would be unfair to single out PP when this year they have more hits than misses.

Generally their line up is fairly decent. Even with Calatrava there is the 5196P which is heavily inspired by the 570. The 6000, 6006 and the 6007 are good examples of well-designed calatravas. In the annual calendar there’s 5205, 5905. The 5172 is AMAZING! Probably the single Patek I’m in love with right now and the only one I hope to get sooner. Great throwback to the 1463 in steel. In terms of Perpetual Calendar there’s a progression from the 1518, 2499, 5004, 5970 and the 5270. So generally the backbone of the collection isn’t too bad.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:16 PM   #13
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
There is no doubt many elements of this watch are beautiful. And overall it is a pleasant watch. But for me it’s where Patek is currently going wrong. I see it as a what I call a “crowd pleaser” give the individual elements people want, large case, Bréguet numerals, perpetual calendar. But when you put the whole thing together it has lost it soul. It feels like the direction IWC was going.

It has the Bréguet numerals ,but in the past these would’ve been balanced by an elegant simple face. The numerals already shout at you. Instead they match it with a perpetual calendar dial with the enlarged font of the 5140! The face is just screaming font and numerals everywhere I look.

I get it - it’s what people want now... but look at the 3448 !

I actually think the rise of the indépendants like FP Journe is because of the inability of Patek to innovate. They are not necessarily my favorite, but Imagine if one of these said “Patek Philippe” instead.

The short answer is: yes it’s you
The 5327 comes from a line up that started in 1985. So way before there was a term called crowed pleaser. Back when Daytona’s were sold for discounts. Just go back to ref 3940, 5140 and 5327 and look at the DNA of all of them and you will see the design DNA.
That is more obvious in the 5320 which takes its design DNA from ref 1527, 1591 and 3448. Patek are so proud of their heritage that the don’t follow trends. They make trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:

Attachment 1221610
Apologies from mine too - oh nooo it’s a blue ! Even worse Jin !
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A761C35A-3140-4009-A009-45766424092C.jpeg (155.6 KB, 1727 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:33 PM   #15
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Yours looks great buddy.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:36 PM   #16
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yours looks great buddy.
Thanks Jin I was thinking maybe I should hang my head in shame after op’s post , ha! :-)) I feel better now .
Old 16 May 2021, 11:37 PM   #17
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Ps , Jin , yours is gorgeous - very classy!
Old 16 May 2021, 11:39 PM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ps , Jin , yours is gorgeous - very classy!
Thanks but Jin is Bear86. I'm the irrepressible Michael.
Old 16 May 2021, 11:43 PM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
[QUOTE=azizu;11457468]The short answer is: yes it’s you
The 5327 comes from a line up that started in 1985. So way before there was a term called crowed pleaser. Back when Daytona’s were sold for discounts. Just go back to ref 3940, 5140 and 5327 and look at the DNA of all of them and you will see the design DNA.
That is more obvious in the 5320 which takes its design DNA from ref 1527, 1591 and 3448. Patek are so proud of their heritage that the don’t follow trends. They make trends.

100%
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 11:49 PM   #20
Robine
Banned

Which trends did they make?
Old 17 May 2021, 02:34 AM   #21
Ellz
2024 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t come to a forum that embraces PP and just stir the pot and flame- sorry but that’s just me :-(
Ellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:19 AM   #22
Robine
Banned

They did not even "make" the trend of SS sports watches with an integrated bracelet - Nautili have been around since the early 1970s.

Instagram people "made" that trend.

PP was also quite late to the party in terms of increasing watch sizes.

And many things they are good at, e.g. worldtimer complication, enamel dials, cloisonne details - none of them ended up in watch mainstream.

So, no, trend-setters PP is not.
Old 17 May 2021, 03:29 AM   #23
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:

@Ichiran & @james272: Great choices, so very fine – a "check" and "mate" rebuttal to the suggestion that "Patek is following the short term trends and losing its way" :-).
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:35 AM   #24
Robine
Banned

PP should be careful that IWC does not rip off this concept and call it "Portugieser".
Old 17 May 2021, 06:30 AM   #25
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post

@Ichiran & @james272: Great choices, so very fine – a "check" and "mate" rebuttal to the suggestion that "Patek is following the short term trends and losing its way" :-).

Fair enough...I‘d still argue that the 3940 is the better and more thought through watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 08:15 AM   #26
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
Patek is symbol of success in 2000.

Quote:

Patek is heading Vacheron direction
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 08:22 AM   #27
Watch Expert
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
Which trends did they make?
Patek created trend on dress watch collectibles
The sport watches, Patek seems to be too speculative, uncontrollable explosions
that happen to many other brands previously such as Hublot, Frank Muller, etc.
Patek lack of boutique only timepieces, AP have many watches available Boutique only, and this way AP able to understand your genuine client directly without distortion.

It is good to sells trough AD, but the ultimate luxury experience is buying directly from brand boutique. They don’t ask you to buy this and that so that you can buy Rolex. It just makes the brand inferior, selling at same time with Rolex.
Watch Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 08:38 AM   #28
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Isn't that the same bracelet they always use on the steel dress watches though like 5960a? Although I suppose you could say that was ugly there too...
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 09:16 AM   #29
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree to a certain degree.....the pilots watch is laughable....like a Ulysses nardin or some other brand
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 10:02 AM   #30
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
Thanks bro.