The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 April 2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Davidwang
"TRF" Member

Why Watch for sale without warranty card

I noticed that a lot of watches for sale either on this forum or other websites do not have warranty card. I understand that some vintage watches don’t have warranty card because it was long sold. But why some post-2010 watches for sale don’t have warranty card? They sold the warranty card separately? Or AD keeps the warranty card?
Davidwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 10:44 AM   #2
Michael7
"TRF" Member

Sometimes with new, in demand models the AD will hold the warranty card for a certain period of time. Usually a matter of months, to try to combat people immediately flipping the watch. However in reality people just flip the watch anyway and either post the warranty card when they receive it or take a deposit and proceed with the transaction once they receive it. This is what I’ve seen in my own experiences buying and selling anyway.
Michael7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Not everybody hangs onto an old outdated warranty card.
Old 15 April 2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Royal68
"TRF" Member

Some watches have been pawned or sold as (misplaced warranty cards or thrown out cards once warranty is up)
Royal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 10:54 AM   #5
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Before 2015 Rolex watch only had two year warranty. Maybe owner selling watch back then didn’t feel it was necessary to pass on expired warranty card.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

Sometimes the owner loses the warranty card. Very common. From my own experience, I have quite a number of watches and I have one or two that I have lost the warranty card. One of them is a Daytona. I don’t know where it put it. I’ve never had a Rolex have a problem within warranty period anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 11:18 AM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I think back in the day it was just because people didn’t pay as much mind to warranty cards. Nowadays I think it’s generally well known to keep the warranty cards. Even when I bought my first Rolex many years ago the AD told me to keep everything with the watch as a complete set. It’s really just weird when you see a watch that’s barely a few months old and it doesn’t have the card. I’d assume that it’s one that the AD kept and is being flipped.

Old 15 April 2019, 01:24 PM   #8
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Because some JO broke into my house and stole my SS Datejust, TT Datejust, SS Daytona and Kermit. So now they have been floating around for about ten years without papers, since I still have them. This is one reason why watches are sold without papers.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:34 AM   #9
Davidwang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
Because some JO broke into my house and stole my SS Datejust, TT Datejust, SS Daytona and Kermit. So now they have been floating around for about ten years without papers, since I still have them. This is one reason why watches are sold without papers.

That is why I don’t like watch only sale.

Davidwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 12:51 AM   #10
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
With many items nowadays, you don't actually need a piece of paper (or card) to claim a warranty. All that matters was you registered the S/N to yourself at the time of purchase. Retaining the card might not serve much purpose to many people.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 01:02 AM   #11
pandrew6l
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
Do you think most of the Trusted Sellers in this Forum check for stolen watches before listing them for sale ? If yes, where is the data base ?
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:52 PM   #12
elfridaauston87
"TRF" Member

There are many reasons dear, maybe they sell after expiring of warranty, maybe they lose their warranty card, and many more like this, but yeah we dont trust anyone, also see the other face, means maybe watch is stolen. There are many points we just need to think.
elfridaauston87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:57 PM   #13
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with the other poster who said that traditionally (older pieces) - people probably ended up throwing away the warranty after the warranty period as it was viewed as no longer needed. For newer / modern pieces, I can imagine why you would throw it out as having a full set commands a premium. We will probably have a lot more full sets in 15-20 years than we see now.

Just my two cents
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:08 PM   #14
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Real people don't keep expired paperwork, and by far the majority of watches are bought by real people and not watch aficionados like us.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:21 AM   #15
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael7 View Post
Sometimes with new, in demand models the AD will hold the warranty card for a certain period of time. Usually a matter of months, to try to combat people immediately flipping the watch. However in reality people just flip the watch anyway and either post the warranty card when they receive it or take a deposit and proceed with the transaction once they receive it. This is what I’ve seen in my own experiences buying and selling anyway.
Not in America.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:04 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
No dealers kept your warranty card in 2010 or 2015 for that matter. It is a new revolution.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:12 AM   #17
stratlanta
"TRF" Member

a few of the "gray" dealers out there don't include the warranty info with the watch on certain brands and instead offer their own warranty. I'm not 100% sure why that happens but I know of at least two that work that way. So if it was originally purchased from one of those dealers, the current seller wouldn't have the warranty card.
stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:18 PM   #18
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
The days before flipping, before the empire, before the darkside
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote