The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2019, 01:08 AM   #31
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Measure yours and post the tip diameter. That will help someone decide.
Will follow up with a comparison with the ones from a ceramic sub.
Old 16 April 2019, 01:11 AM   #32
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Will follow up with a comparison with the ones from a ceramic sub.
Ceramic Sub uses a spring bar with a 1.2mm tip if I recall. It would be interesting to hear the actual specs of the Omega curved spring bar. If it is a .8mm then it could be used on a Rolex with lug holes up to .9mm or even 1mm.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:30 AM   #33
ratlover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
That is just a theory, and it gives people the warm an fuzzies. A springbar will only extend as deep as a lug hole is drilled. Some think the flange-less design is safer because there are rumors a nylon strap can latch onto the flanges and release the springbar. I call b.s. on this. I have not been able to replicate this happening. But using the shoulderless does fell more robust.
I like warm and fuzzies

You have some videos of trying to get a nato to dislodge a springbar right? If so it was your videos that made me even more of a believer in natos
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:39 AM   #34
lovetherolex
Banned

FP Journe also uses curved spring bars in the Souveraine Collection. If done right it functions and looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedders View Post
Why do most people, not all, think Rolex are the only ones to make anything correctly. There are many engineering projects out there that would leave them in the shade.
This forum is so biased it annoys me sometimes.
It's called Rolex Forums, what did you expect?

In any case there's not a whole lot wrong with pointing at oem vs non-oem equipment from an un vetted source, it's a legitimate concern.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 08:27 AM   #35
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlover View Post
I like warm and fuzzies

You have some videos of trying to get a nato to dislodge a springbar right? If so it was your videos that made me even more of a believer in natos
Yes I do. I heard a rumor multiple times but I could not reproduce the same results. After I asked the person it happened to they told me "they heard it happened". So it might have been more forumlore. I believe you should always use the correct spring bars and there should be no issues.
Old 16 April 2019, 01:46 PM   #36
Geelerald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Polar
I ordered the Everest replacement bars and a tool to bend them. Everest claims these are Rolex quality bars. Forgive my ignorance but when you are talking about “drilled lugs” do you mean that the watch has the holes all the way through so that you can push the spring bar from the outside of the case? Would there be a problem buying Rolex bars from an AD and using the tool to bend them? This tool: https://www.esslinger.com/spring-bar...pliers-5-inch/
Geelerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:54 PM   #37
Jrcigar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelerald View Post
I ordered the Everest replacement bars and a tool to bend them. Everest claims these are Rolex quality bars. Forgive my ignorance but when you are talking about “drilled lugs” do you mean that the watch has the holes all the way through so that you can push the spring bar from the outside of the case? Would there be a problem buying Rolex bars from an AD and using the tool to bend them? This tool: https://www.esslinger.com/spring-bar...pliers-5-inch/
Yes that is what’s meant by drilled lugs. And sorry but I’d not bend bars myself with a tool. Not so much about metal fatigue, but there are inner workings inside the bars. Bending might affect that.
Jrcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 09:50 PM   #38
txaggie9307
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosanman View Post
I'm a big fan of Nato straps, and due to the thickness of some of them, found that curved spring bars worked better.

Have been using curved spring bars for years on my 116710 and now my 16610 with no problems.
It's funny how some think that only Rolex are capable of making reliable springbars?!

Where did you get these spring bars from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 April 2019, 10:40 PM   #39
Prizla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d not bend bars myself with a tool
How do you think curved springbars are manufactured?

I’d echo the other posters who say only ever use quality (not necessarily Rolex) springbars but there’s no problem with putting the curve in yourself. If you haven’t got the tool to do it springbars can be curved easily and uniformly between two spoons. Bear in mind the radius of the curve effectively shortens the distance between the ends of the bars so buy bars a couple of millimetres longer to account for this.
Prizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:56 AM   #40
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizla View Post

I’d echo the other posters who say only ever use quality (not necessarily Rolex) springbars but there’s no problem with putting the curve in yourself. If you haven’t got the tool to do it springbars can be curved easily and uniformly between two spoons. Bear in mind the radius of the curve effectively shortens the distance between the ends of the bars so buy bars a couple of millimetres longer to account for this.
Good point that you need longer spring bars if you put a bend/curve in them. But now aren’t you guessing the new lengths and putting your watch in jeopardy?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:49 AM   #41
Prizla
"TRF" Member

Put the (longer) bar you have curved next to the original (correct length) straight bar to check you have got the right length. Voila - no guessing 👌

You do make a good point though. ALWAYS pull on a newly fitted strap with some force to check springbars are correctly and securely seated no matter how sure you are that they are the correct ones 👍
Prizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 06:00 AM   #42
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
IME, the spoon method was not very consistent for me. IIRC, the bar had a tendency to slide resulting in two bars with different degrees of curve. Probably operator error, but in any case, I ended up buying a Bergeon spring bar bender and a variety pack of different length and styles of SS straight spring bars.

If you only need a few and don’t feel the need to buy a tool many watch tool sites like Otto Frei sell curved SS bars: http://www.ofrei.com/page_202.html

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:19 PM   #43
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizla View Post

They are not all manufactured like that. Some are manufactured with a curve in them. And they are true to specs. No guess work.
Old 17 April 2019, 12:23 PM   #44
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should not try and bend the Rolex shoulderless spring bars for a drilled lug watch. The hole in the case is drilled straight across. When you bend a spring bar the tips are no longer going directly into the lugs, they are going to be angled. This imo could do damage to your lug holes or not engage fully into the lug holes. The best bet is to get a spring bar with the same tip diameter as the OEM versions but with a smaller middle diameter.
Old 17 April 2019, 03:05 PM   #45
Geelerald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Polar
Quote:
You should not try and bend the Rolex shoulderless spring bars for a drilled lug watch. The hole in the case is drilled straight across. When you bend a spring bar the tips are no longer going directly into the lugs, they are going to be angled. This imo could do damage to your lug holes or not engage fully into the lug holes. The best bet is to get a spring bar with the same tip diameter as the OEM versions but with a smaller middle diameter.
Any idea where to get such a thing?
Geelerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:38 PM   #46
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedders View Post
Why do most people, not all, think Rolex are the only ones to make anything correctly. There are many engineering projects out there that would leave them in the shade.
This forum is so biased it annoys me sometimes.
I have tried a bunch of springbars. i think rolex oem spring bars are better from my experience, especially for gold watches, and are worth buying if you have a rolex. i don’t think anyone is comparing rolex submariner to a nuclear sub.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:23 AM   #47
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Any idea where to get such a thing?
Send me a dm.
Old 18 April 2019, 01:25 AM   #48
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I have tried a bunch of springbars. i think rolex oem spring bars are better from my experience, especially for gold watches, and are worth buying if you have a rolex. i don’t think anyone is comparing rolex submariner to a nuclear sub.
I think his point is there are other good options. Not just Rolex. Rumor has it Rolex does not make there spring bars. They are contracted out.

IMO most of what ebay and Amazon sells is not the best option except for a few small vendors.
Old 18 April 2019, 01:37 AM   #49
Jaff03
Banned

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, you wont lose your watch.
Jaff03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 04:31 AM   #50
116610LNSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40/Sub/DJ41/PAN
Hi! Where can I get the Sub 116610 Curved Spring Bars? any links?
What is the dimension on the tip of the spring bar? I hear 1.2mm , 1.8mm and 2.0mm but now sure which is correct!
Thanks in advance.
116610LNSF is offline   Reply With Quote