The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2019, 08:19 PM   #121
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
All these posts about exercising common sense. A theft can happen anyway anytime. Watches are a big deal in Europe and are prime targets for thieves. If the loss of the watch would upset you at all or be an issue to pay for a new one leave it home and not worry about it.
i agree europe has a much stronger watch game, especially outside of Rolex. I see way more luxury watches than any US major city outside of maybe NYC and LA. So you also dont stick out that much either.

One thief with 20 Rolex watches on the Tube, vs one Rolex in the US on a guy in a restaurant. Your odds are better in europe.

My kids school is full of Rolex watches, panerai, iwc, AP etc. More parents wear them than dont. Visited a school in Houston recently where my kids will be going. Noticed the parents wrists were much differently decorated.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 05:16 AM   #122
tjs00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeko View Post
I've read a few threads with people having no issues wearing their Rolex while traveling, but from what I can tell it's only with ss models. Is there anyone that travels outside of North America with tt watches, such as Europe? Or is this a no no?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
As the victim of an attempted mugging in a Paris subway, don't take anything valuable with you. My wife and I fought them off but why deal with it? Don't give them a reason to target you. We got lucky, they could have had weapons and hurt us (an after thought of course).
tjs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:09 AM   #123
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoru View Post
I think Europe in general is one of the safest places on earth... No to offend but I wouldn't be so sure about that when travelling to the USA..
I think professional pickpockets are common wherever there is a high concentration of distracted tourists in tight quarters. I don't consider Paris and London dangerous places but I have never encountered more pickpockets than in the train stations and tourist attractions of those two cities. The US tourist attractions tend to be more wide open (Grand Canyon) or more controlled (Disney). The danger here is equal but very different and unfortunately less polite and more violent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:19 AM   #124
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I see so often in these threads people responding with "have common sense" "exercise caution".

But what does this mean in the context of wearing a watch? It would be much more constructive to explain, or give tips for safe traveling then to just be vague, and condescendingly reply with "cringe".

I've heard people say keep your watch in the safe. Or if you're staying at a hotel never remove the watch, sleep with it on.

But I've also heard of people say they've had their watches stolen in their sleep while wearing them.

If it's hot out and you're wearing a short sleeve shirt, and someone unsavory approaches a little too close, what do you do?

I can't imagine being able to just put your hand in your pocket deep enough to conceal the watch with short sleeves.

Anyway, I like the general idea of these posts, but very rarely do I see constructive conversation that helps.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 03:30 AM   #125
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
I see so often in these threads people responding with "have common sense" "exercise caution".

But what does this mean in the context of wearing a watch? It would be much more constructive to explain, or give tips for safe traveling then to just be vague, and condescendingly reply with "cringe".

I've heard people say keep your watch in the safe. Or if you're staying at a hotel never remove the watch, sleep with it on.

But I've also heard of people say they've had their watches stolen in their sleep while wearing them.

If it's hot out and you're wearing a short sleeve shirt, and someone unsavory approaches a little too close, what do you do?

I can't imagine being able to just put your hand in your pocket deep enough to conceal the watch with short sleeves.

Anyway, I like the general idea of these posts, but very rarely do I see constructive conversation that helps.
Threads like these do not warrant intelligent responses
Old 18 April 2019, 03:31 AM   #126
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
Another one of these useless threads... again, op should be getting their priorities right, if your worried about going to a place then you should be asking “am I safe or my family safe” rather than a bloody watch..

Also Portugal and Spain are top tiered 1st world countries, if you don’tt feel safe there then why bother coming out of your cave.
Never ceases to amaze me how people are more concerned about their watches than their own personal safety.

I try NEVER to loose sight of my wife while we're traveling at home or abroad. It's easy to get a little separated while walking in crowded places, (think Old Town Jerusalem), so I try to keep her in front of me, with my eyes scanning all the time.

In many trips into large cities in Europe, I've never felt unsafe. I don't give a shit how the watch feels.

I also don't look like a victim. Use the law of natural predatory selection to your advantage. Don't look like a victim, you won't be one. Someone else may be, and that's too bad for them, but at least it isn't you.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 03:38 AM   #127
DPE
"TRF" Member

I live near London and not worried. If you feel nervous wearing a nice watch then don't. Where does it stop ? Do you then wear cheap jeans and cheap trainers. Then don't eat in nice restaurants in case you get followed back to a hotel.
You need to be confident and not feel like you are going to loose. If not you will only wear your Rolex at home... with the door locked and the curtains closed. Or buy a baseball bat (only if you play and can use it !!)…
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:27 AM   #128
mcstones
"TRF" Member

If you must ,then you have to be careful with your surrounding and area you go to.
mcstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:43 AM   #129
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
If you dont take your watch, how are you gonna a use it to get yourself out of hairy situations? Like bribing a crooked law enforcement officer. Make sure and wear it on a Bond NATO so they kniw you're all business.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 05:46 AM   #130
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Do you folks think the world is some dystopian place filled with watch thirsty zombies outside of N.America? Please go out of your cave and explore a bit rather than worrying about the safety of your watch...
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 05:58 AM   #131
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I worn UG, Omega and Rolex in Italy, Germany, UK, Norway and Sweden.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote