The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 May 2019, 03:17 AM   #1
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Unspecified Rolex Service

I purchased my Yacht Master new, from an AD last June. In August, I had it serviced as it was gaining 2 minutes a week. After I got it back, it was extremely accurate, problem resolved.

There was a period of time in March when I was not putting the watch on until late morning quite often, so I got into the habit of manually winding the watch about 30 turns every other day or so. Then I noticed that one day while wearing the watch, it had stopped for an hour or two and then started again. It had the correct time when I put it on, but a few hours later I noticed that it had apparently stopped after I put it on, and then started up again. I continued winding the watch every other day or so for 30 turns. Then about 3 weeks later, the same thing happened a second time. I took it in for service, and the watch is back at the dealer who sent it in to Rolex for the repair. Now they have it back, with no explanation other than "it is repaired, under warranty". Considering the nature of what happened, I want to know what caused the problem, and specifically, what Rolex did to correct it. The dealer told me that Rolex does not share their repair notes with their dealers. The dealer told me that they will request this information, but don't have high hopes for getting an explanation from Rolex. Is this typical of Rolex service?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this information?
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 03:41 AM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

It’s unlikely you’ll get an accurate description of the work done after the fact. The best way to get it is to request a detailed report at the time you submit the watch for repair.

The reason the information is vague is simply down to the volume of work every individual watchmaker does. Going back to them (even the next day) and asking what was wrong with a particular watch is likely to be met with ‘I don’t remember, but I fixed it and it’s working now’.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 06:06 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It’s unlikely you’ll get an accurate description of the work done after the fact. The best way to get it is to request a detailed report at the time you submit the watch for repair.

The reason the information is vague is simply down to the volume of work every individual watchmaker does. Going back to them (even the next day) and asking what was wrong with a particular watch is likely to be met with ‘I don’t remember, but I fixed it and it’s working now’.
I can relate So many of them that sometimes when you're assembling a 3135 or something you don't even know if it is a sub or a DateJust
That and watchmakers are a bunch of weirdos, so vague answers are common
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 07:04 AM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
That and watchmakers are a bunch of weirdos
This is the most accurate statement I’ve ever read on this forum
Old 18 May 2019, 09:17 AM   #5
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Explanation of Service performed on a new Yacht Master

The only explanation I was able to get was that the watch was disassembled and reassembled and now everything is OK. To me, when the watch stopped twice over a three week period, while close to fully wound, and was being worn each time is not akin to an adjustment for gaining or losing time. It sounds much more serious, and Rolex should have something in mind, then check it until they find the cause, and then fix it. So far, no specific information or explanation is forthcoming. I have asked for the request for better information to be escalated. We'll see where that leads.
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 05:20 PM   #6
watchmaker
TechXpert

I wouldn’t stress over it if you don’t get a detailed answer. By accepting the repair under warranty that is an acknowledgment that the fault lies with them.
Old 19 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #7
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl3150 View Post
The only explanation I was able to get was that the watch was disassembled and reassembled and now everything is OK. To me, when the watch stopped twice over a three week period, while close to fully wound, and was being worn each time is not akin to an adjustment for gaining or losing time. It sounds much more serious, and Rolex should have something in mind, then check it until they find the cause, and then fix it. So far, no specific information or explanation is forthcoming. I have asked for the request for better information to be escalated. We'll see where that leads.
I had this exact same issue with a brand new JLC that I purchased in April of last year. I would put it on with the correct time, look at it a few hours later and it had lost an hour. Once, when I was wearing it, it had actually stopped.

I took it to the local JLC dealer and they shipped it off to.... they said Switzerland. I got it back about 8 weeks later with no explanation or comment, but it's worked perfectly since then.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote