The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 May 2019, 08:44 AM   #1
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Should I let go of my 116610lv?

Hi all!
I’d appreciate your advice on my dilemma.

This is my current collection.

I am wondering whether this is too “Rolex-heavy,” and contemplating whether I should trade in my 116610lv for something else, possibly a tiny bit more wearable at the office.

Below are my criteria.
-can be worn with a suit at the office, but also casual outfits for the weekends
-WR around 100m would be nice, but not a must
-a piece that horology aficionados appreciate (do not have to be noticed by the mass)
-new or used, budget around 18k usd

One choice I have in mind is to trade in the Hulk for 2 watches, “114060ln” and “IW371601 Portuguese Chronograph 150th Anniversary.”

However, it would be much better if I can acquire one great piece, instead of two, since I don’t want to expand the number of pieces.

Any suggestion would be greatly welcome, and if you think the collection is good as is, do let me know as well!

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ramenjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 08:52 AM   #2
sunset117
"TRF" Member

The hulk is awesome and will always be collectible. I would never trade it. Andnwhile the two you picked are great and tempting to take over one the hulk is too cool. Don’t ever trade it unless you get blown away by a deal
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 08:53 AM   #3
sunset117
"TRF" Member

But you do have too many rolexes, if that’s possible. Mix it up! 1 Daytona. 1 submariner. Don’t need multiples. Personally I only have 1 Rolex. But 2 omegas, 4 tags, 2 Jacob and co and 1 IWC. I’m not the worlds largst Rolex fan tho.
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 08:56 AM   #4
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the LVc. Although it's a Rolex, its unique in its color, bracelet and function to the rest of your collection.

If it were me, I'd trade away one of the Daytonas. Three chronograph watches, in a 6 watch collection, seems a bit much to me.

As for my choice of replacement, given your criteria, I'd look at the the Moser endeavour center seconds or a Breguet Tradition.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I remember your posts from a while back and I see that your collection expanded quickly. Congratulations, as it's a great collection. I suspected you'd end up with more watches than you originally thought and at a faster rate than you anticipated. When bitten by the bug and when you can afford it (and sometimes even when you can't!), collections seem to grow fast.

In looking at your current collection, I wouldn't say it's too Rolex heavy, as you have a Lange chronograph and a JLC for your dress watches and they make some of the best dress watches while Rolex makes some of the best sport watches.

That written, it's too Daytona heavy and I fail to see the point of having two steel Daytonas in a six watch collection, especially when one of your other Rolexes has a black dial and you're contemplating a black dial Submariner. Don't get me wrong, the Daytona is a great watch and I'm waiting on a white dial myself but I personally think one is enough and the white one, in my opinion, is the one to get. (I'd personally rather have a Speedmaster than a black dial Daytona, especially if you already own a white dial one.)

I also personally wouldn't get rid of the LV since you have one, as it's a great color to have for variety. Adding the 114060 would be fine, as it's the quintessential dive watch and having no date makes it different enough from the LV, in my opinion, but if you think you'll only wear one diver, think on which one you like more. One thing to consider is that the 114060 is more versatile but it also more closely resembles your GMT. Still, the 114060 is my diver and Rolex of choice, although I own other divers and other Rolexes too and I've considered an LV.

As for the IWC Portuguese in blue, you already have some blue in your GMT and while the Portuguese is a great watch (I have the white dial one with blue hands and numerals), it does wear large due to the thin bezel and I'd personally be looking at a moonphase calendar instead, as you don't really need another chronograph with the Lange and the Rolex(es?) and your collection is lacking that lovely complication. My favorite moonphase calendars are from Lange, Patek, Vacheron, and JLC, especially the last if you're not wanting to spend so much or favor steel. Of course it's your collection and I have my biases, but I'm also trying to be as objective as possible.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:44 PM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
My take

I would sell the Daytona you wear/like less and go for something not Rolex. Patek? AP? IWC?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 12:46 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I just couldn’t be without a diver, so I’d hang on to the LVC and add the other piece
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 03:53 PM   #8
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset117 View Post
But you do have too many rolexes, if that’s possible. Mix it up! 1 Daytona. 1 submariner. Don’t need multiples. Personally I only have 1 Rolex. But 2 omegas, 4 tags, 2 Jacob and co and 1 IWC. I’m not the worlds largst Rolex fan tho.
Thank you for your input.
As you have mentioned, the Hulk is really a beauty, and unique as well.
I may have too many Rolexes (as others have stated as well), but I truly have an appreciation for the brand, and I really like that they are sturdy.
However, I might have to reconsider my Rolex collection, and expand to other brands.
Old 18 May 2019, 03:59 PM   #9
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the LVc. Although it's a Rolex, its unique in its color, bracelet and function to the rest of your collection.

If it were me, I'd trade away one of the Daytonas. Three chronograph watches, in a 6 watch collection, seems a bit much to me.

As for my choice of replacement, given your criteria, I'd look at the the Moser endeavour center seconds or a Breguet Tradition.
Thank you for your thoughts!
You are totally right, the Hulk is very unique compared to my other Rolexes.
As you have pointed out, 3 chronographs may be a bit much. Although I do like chronos, I dohave room to explore outside.
Both your suggestions are great! I've always had an eye on a Moser, but I have the Breguet Tradition was completely out of my radar! It's such a beauty. I will definitely do a bit of research.
Old 18 May 2019, 04:10 PM   #10
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Great collection. I use to play around with pictures like that too trying different collection configurations.

Yes it’s Rolex heavy but also chrono heavy. I’d look at swaping one of the Daytona’s plus hulk for a PM Daytona with either panda dial Arabic or blue/green 116509/8. In your case WG more suitable probably.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 04:29 PM   #11
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I remember your posts from a while back and I see that your collection expanded quickly. Congratulations, as it's a great collection. I suspected you'd end up with more watches than you originally thought and at a faster rate than you anticipated. When bitten by the bug and when you can afford it (and sometimes even when you can't!), collections seem to grow fast.

In looking at your current collection, I wouldn't say it's too Rolex heavy, as you have a Lange chronograph and a JLC for your dress watches and they make some of the best dress watches while Rolex makes some of the best sport watches.

That written, it's too Daytona heavy and I fail to see the point of having two steel Daytonas in a six watch collection, especially when one of your other Rolexes has a black dial and you're contemplating a black dial Submariner. Don't get me wrong, the Daytona is a great watch and I'm waiting on a white dial myself but I personally think one is enough and the white one, in my opinion, is the one to get. (I'd personally rather have a Speedmaster than a black dial Daytona, especially if you already own a white dial one.)

I also personally wouldn't get rid of the LV since you have one, as it's a great color to have for variety. Adding the 114060 would be fine, as it's the quintessential dive watch and having no date makes it different enough from the LV, in my opinion, but if you think you'll only wear one diver, think on which one you like more. One thing to consider is that the 114060 is more versatile but it also more closely resembles your GMT. Still, the 114060 is my diver and Rolex of choice, although I own other divers and other Rolexes too and I've considered an LV.

As for the IWC Portuguese in blue, you already have some blue in your GMT and while the Portuguese is a great watch (I have the white dial one with blue hands and numerals), it does wear large due to the thin bezel and I'd personally be looking at a moonphase calendar instead, as you don't really need another chronograph with the Lange and the Rolex(es?) and your collection is lacking that lovely complication. My favorite moonphase calendars are from Lange, Patek, Vacheron, and JLC, especially the last if you're not wanting to spend so much or favor steel. Of course it's your collection and I have my biases, but I'm also trying to be as objective as possible.
Justindo... what can I say!! I always ALWAYS appreciate your very thorough insight, and I am baffled by the fact that you even remembered my previous post. I appreciate the kind words, and the warm welcome into your wonderful community. I have been blessed to expand my collection in the past year, and I do feel it's a good bunch, thanks in part to your guidance (especially regarding my 1815 chrono).

Since I am a sucker for chronographs, and also because I had to really test my patience tracking down the 2 Daytonas, I never would have thought that the collection is Daytona-heavy until you kindly pointed it out, and maybe one is enough. It's just that the slim (or classic) profile makes it a very wearable piece, and I also appreciate the fact that it can go both dressy and sporty. But again, I realize that they are two of the same watches, and I could be looking at other watches by letting one go

Also touching on your point about the Portguese (I love the white dial with blue numerals as well!), this is very true and I did feel that it looked a tad bit larger than I would have liked when I tried it on yesterday. Also, this is another chronograph, and I agree that it makes sense to consider other complications. Moonphase calendar does add a nice touch to the collection! I really would like to add Patek/Vacheron/Patek, but that would possibly be a bit over the budget if I were to buy it with the money I have after letting go of the Daytona. Maybe something under 30k? The JLC MUT Perpetual (SS, black dial) is a watch that I have lusted after for a while, and I truly think this would be a great candidate. What are your thoughts about the Cellini Moonphase? Also, if you have any other suggestions with the budget in mind (other complications are welcome too!), I would love to hear them!!

Finally, regarding my LV. I totally agree that 114060 and the GMT would somewhat overlap given that they are both black dials. Also, I also feel that the LV adds a nice touch of color to the collection, and I'm not sure if I will wear two Submariners, since it's not a huge collection. I think I will keep my LV, and think about what I can do with one of my Daytonas.
Old 18 May 2019, 04:31 PM   #12
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I would sell the Daytona you wear/like less and go for something not Rolex. Patek? AP? IWC?
Thank you for your kind suggestion!
After reading everybody's comments, this is the path that I am now considering. Patek, AP, and IWC would all be great additions!
Old 18 May 2019, 04:31 PM   #13
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I just couldn’t be without a diver, so I’d hang on to the LVC and add the other piece
Thank you, I think I will hold on to the LV!
Old 18 May 2019, 04:33 PM   #14
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Great collection. I use to play around with pictures like that too trying different collection configurations.

Yes it’s Rolex heavy but also chrono heavy. I’d look at swaping one of the Daytona’s plus hulk for a PM Daytona with either panda dial Arabic or blue/green 116509/8. In your case WG more suitable probably.
Thank you for the kind words! Playing around with pictures is fun, maybe too much fun...
I really like both the blue and green Daytonas in PM, so maybe this would be a nice alternative as to owning two steel Daytonas. I appreciate the suggestion!
Old 18 May 2019, 04:37 PM   #15
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I am not a fan for the LVc - too much green for me.

The Submariner is a excellent choice but I would choose the IWC 5001-07.

I don’t like the holesawed numerals on the 371601.

Nice collection.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 09:41 PM   #16
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Nice collection! Seems logical to let one Daytona go. But since its a Daytona i wouldnt do it. I would flip the GMT, would not downsize but add some cash and go Royal Oak (sport) or Patek (dress). You already have the grails Daytona and Lange, add a 4th one, add a RO/Patek.

I recently added my first Patek (5396). Still prefer Lange and i realy wanted to add the datograph but since i already have a saxonia and the Lange 1 i got the 5396 instead no regrets.

Another option could be a rose/yellow gold Day Date. Never thought i would wear one but somehow i got it and its a totaly different experience then any other SS/WG watch i own. Nobody cares or notice SS/WG watches. But a gold DD actualy gets noticed and draws attention which is kind of fun when you are in the mood for it.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 10:31 PM   #17
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
My LV will never leave my collection. If I had your collection, I’d move the Daytona, as I’m not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 12:40 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd sell the black Daytona and look for a 37mm AP RO or 38mm RO Chrono, these are still buyable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 01:15 AM   #19
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
If you’re gonna move it, now is a great time. It’s a sellers market!
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 08:12 AM   #20
mbalmz
2024 Pledge Member

personally I’d keep the lv and sell the black dial daytona. keeps more variety in the collection (and you’ll get more for it, of course).
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 03:59 PM   #21
Stig722
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV - HULK
Sell the black Daytona.
Stig722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 04:55 AM   #22
hrm
"TRF" Member

That’s a great collection! I would get rid of the BLNR and get another brand in the collection. Maybe a Journe Chronometre Souverain or a Patek 5170...
hrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:22 AM   #23
Skanse
"TRF" Member

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd sell the black Daytona and look for a 37mm AP RO or 38mm RO Chrono, these are still buyable.
Old 20 May 2019, 05:30 AM   #24
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
You have a great collection, I’d keep all and add if you can lol
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 06:29 AM   #25
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

I would keep the LVc and flip the BLNR (if needed). For me, with both Daytonas (PCLs) and the LVc (diver + amazing dial), I’d never wear the oyster BLNR.

EDIT: Thinking it through, I’d flip the BLNR and white DaytonaC for a PP 5712.

EDIT2: regarding your proposed LVc for Sub and that IWC, I wouldn’t want/need a black dial DaytonaC and 114060.....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:26 AM   #26
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

You like Rolex. You need a Day Date on the President. 36mm, classic proportions. White Gold if you wish to stay subtle. Old school some say, old mans watch or woman’s watch some others say.

But likes others have said, I’m not sure I’d let the Hulk go.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenjiro View Post
Justindo... what can I say!! I always ALWAYS appreciate your very thorough insight, and I am baffled by the fact that you even remembered my previous post. I appreciate the kind words, and the warm welcome into your wonderful community. I have been blessed to expand my collection in the past year, and I do feel it's a good bunch, thanks in part to your guidance (especially regarding my 1815 chrono).

Since I am a sucker for chronographs, and also because I had to really test my patience tracking down the 2 Daytonas, I never would have thought that the collection is Daytona-heavy until you kindly pointed it out, and maybe one is enough. It's just that the slim (or classic) profile makes it a very wearable piece, and I also appreciate the fact that it can go both dressy and sporty. But again, I realize that they are two of the same watches, and I could be looking at other watches by letting one go

Also touching on your point about the Portguese (I love the white dial with blue numerals as well!), this is very true and I did feel that it looked a tad bit larger than I would have liked when I tried it on yesterday. Also, this is another chronograph, and I agree that it makes sense to consider other complications. Moonphase calendar does add a nice touch to the collection! I really would like to add Patek/Vacheron/Patek, but that would possibly be a bit over the budget if I were to buy it with the money I have after letting go of the Daytona. Maybe something under 30k? The JLC MUT Perpetual (SS, black dial) is a watch that I have lusted after for a while, and I truly think this would be a great candidate. What are your thoughts about the Cellini Moonphase? Also, if you have any other suggestions with the budget in mind (other complications are welcome too!), I would love to hear them!!

Finally, regarding my LV. I totally agree that 114060 and the GMT would somewhat overlap given that they are both black dials. Also, I also feel that the LV adds a nice touch of color to the collection, and I'm not sure if I will wear two Submariners, since it's not a huge collection. I think I will keep my LV, and think about what I can do with one of my Daytonas.
The JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar in steel with the black dial is a great watch and offers tremendous value. I think it would be a great addition to your collection and your black Daytona would more than cover the cost of one new.

As for the Cellini Moonphase, it's by far my favorite Cellini and I think it's a very well made and attractive watch. The pros of the watch is that it's a Rolex, so that means superb quality, service, and reliability. The cons of the watch, however, is that it's, again, a Rolex and so movement finishing can't really compare to JLC or Patek and certainly not VC and especially not Lange. I definitely like it but it would be hard for me to choose one over another brand unless I had a large collection and already had calendar moonphase watches from those brands.

You might also consider a Lange Saxonia Moonphase in pink gold, which, while not a full, annual, or perpetual calendar, offers a lovely moonphase, Lange's signature big date, and superb finishing. I could see it as a lovely companion to your white gold 1815 Chronograph.

If you really love both Daytona's, however keep them and just add the JLC as funds allow. There's nothing wrong with a seven or eight watch collection, as that would probably be the smallest number I would be comfortable reducing to if I really wanted to downsize my collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:24 AM   #28
ts3
"TRF" Member

Great collection that you might just keep as is, and I am saying that as a guy who has never owned a Rolex and is still doubting if he will ever get one...

But if it was me I would consider a bigger revirement, replacing three of your Rolexes w one Rolex and a Patek:

I would sell the LV, the BLNR, and the black Daytona. Why? The LV for being too flashy, the BLNR as I am no fan of GMT / travel time pieces, and the black Daytona as I prefer the white one and I deem one Daytona enough for a 5 or 6 piece collection.

Then I would add the 114060 per your thoughts or the SD4K being my favorite modern Rolex. Either way there would be two Rolexes in your collection, the white Daytona and a black-dial LN diver.

With plenty of remaining budget you could get a PM complicated Patek, such as a classic 3940 PC, or a SS sports watch. The 5167 Aquanaut or the mid-size 3800 Nautilus should be well within budget, the 5164 slightly above but the way to go if you need a travel time piece, whereas the 5711 and 5712 are out of reach unless you add quite some cash. Assuming that you don't have to have a Patek sports watch I would probably try to go 3940. This may also turn out to be a smart move in terms of value if and when the SS sports watch craze comes to an end...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:24 PM   #29
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I am not a fan for the LVc - too much green for me.

The Submariner is a excellent choice but I would choose the IWC 5001-07.

I don’t like the holesawed numerals on the 371601.

Nice collection.
Thanks for the input!
5001-07 is another great watch!
Old 22 May 2019, 01:30 PM   #30
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits1980 View Post
Nice collection! Seems logical to let one Daytona go. But since its a Daytona i wouldnt do it. I would flip the GMT, would not downsize but add some cash and go Royal Oak (sport) or Patek (dress). You already have the grails Daytona and Lange, add a 4th one, add a RO/Patek.

I recently added my first Patek (5396). Still prefer Lange and i realy wanted to add the datograph but since i already have a saxonia and the Lange 1 i got the 5396 instead no regrets.

Another option could be a rose/yellow gold Day Date. Never thought i would wear one but somehow i got it and its a totaly different experience then any other SS/WG watch i own. Nobody cares or notice SS/WG watches. But a gold DD actualy gets noticed and draws attention which is kind of fun when you are in the mood for it.
Thanks for your input. By what I'm seeing, you have quite a collection!
After reading your comment, adding the RO or a Patek does seem like a good move. Actually, the 5396g is one watch I really like! How do you like it so far? Do you think adding it to my collection would somewhat overlap with my 1815 chrono in terms of aesthetics?

I also am a fan of the DD, ever since I watched the Sopranos. I won't be able to wear it at the office, but would be a killer weekend watch!