The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2019, 06:02 AM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I'll send it in for service and keep everyone updated on the cost and all.

I actually would prefer them NOT to open up the watch and service it - provided the watch is still keeping good time the next day or two.

Can I request that they replace the bezel ring and insert ONLY and not perform a full service??? This watch is brand new after all...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:13 AM   #32
SN13
"TRF" Member

You don't think you can un-bend that flat spot?

I think I could for sure.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #33
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear but one thing is for sure, it can be fixed!
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #34
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post

I actually would prefer them NOT to open up the watch and service it - provided the watch is still keeping good time the next day or two.

Can I request that they replace the bezel ring and insert ONLY and not perform a full service??? This watch is brand new after all...
Why would you not want it opened? It doesn't do any harm to open a watch. They probably just want to make sure everything is alright in there.
And in the worst case it will have to be serviced.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:24 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
He’s correct. The feature he is referring to is called Purchase Protection. For basic Visa cards, they cover up to $500 per claim and up to $50k per year. You should be covered in this case. I would highly recommend reading your Guide to Benefits booklet that came with your card for instructions of how to claim. You can always call in to request or look it up online.

Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve cover up to $10k per claim and up to $50k a year. I’ve used the travel and purchase protections on my Sapphire Reserve many times. I accidentally left a bag of newly purchased items in my rental car when returning at London Heathrow. I just showed proof of my receipt and email threads reporting the missing items, and Visa covered it.

The high annual fee for the Platinum and Sapphire Reserve are worth it if you can utilize all the benefits.
AMEX insurance is really fantastic

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #36
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that, but it almost sounds like you were lucky.

Note to self: Next renovation, all linoleum everything.
Old 21 February 2019, 06:30 AM   #37
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tile floors.... a watch’s #1 enemy. Sorry.

Good call sending it in, as the movement may have been damaged. It will come back in good shape, though I wonder what they’ll quote for the case? Maybe an optional replacement, as it doesn’t look like a polish job from the photo.

Edit: oh, I guess the dent is the bezel? Much cheaper to replace than the case, nice.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:32 AM   #38
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

I'm going to call my credit card company about the purchase protection. I do have that coverage but I'm not sure of what procedure to go through to file a claim.

Speaking of that, my watches are covered by a jewelry rider on my homeowners policy. Should I consider filing a claim, or do you think for something like this it's better to handle on my own?
Old 21 February 2019, 06:33 AM   #39
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Why would you not want it opened? It doesn't do any harm to open a watch. They probably just want to make sure everything is alright in there.
And in the worst case it will have to be serviced.
Cost mainly. If they do a standard service on the movement it could be like $400+ more on top of the cost of the bezel and insert. The watch is not even three months old. I would hate to spend that for a new watch.
Old 21 February 2019, 06:44 AM   #40
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Cost mainly. If they do a standard service on the movement it could be like $400+ more on top of the cost of the bezel and insert. The watch is not even three months old. I would hate to spend that for a new watch.
I can understand, but if something is damaged inside wouldn't you want to know and have it fixed as well? It is not unlikely to have damage inside after a drop like that.

You could have your hairspring bent out of place, a broken/damaged jewels, pivots or ball bearings.
It depends on the severity whether or not you'll notice it immediately.

I would have it checked.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #41
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Sorry to hear about your misfortune , I know it’s tempting to try and do a diy fix but just send it to the experts.

It’s like if you crash your car , you’re not going to sit there with a hammer trying to straighten in out , you send it to the repairers , and of course they will check for any internal damage like bent suspension etc , think if it the same way
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #42
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can I ask how I would go about tweaking the bend out? I might mess up more than just the bezel LOL
Well if you take the bezel off first, I don't think you'll mess up more than just the bezel
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:03 AM   #43
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Understood everyone, thanks for all the comments.
Old 21 February 2019, 07:04 AM   #44
DuchessofWinward
"TRF" Member

WOW am I sorry to hear this. Learn from experience...

WOW! First I am very very sorry for this. I know how awful this can be. Please review my thread for when I dropped my Rolex on a Tile Floor. Short Story is: 2-3 months later, $11K and a lot of ribbing from the TRF peanut gallery later, I have my watch back in perfect condition...insurance covered all but the deductible, the movement had damage, and it first failed the pressure test and now passes. I have a new warranty card, and will NEVER hold my Rolex loose over a tile floor again. The Post was "Dropped Rolex President 279138 Datejust 28mm on Tile Floor"
C. Cavalry
DuchessofWinward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:06 AM   #45
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
No one likes that feeling in your gut when your watch "goes to battle" with the tile floor or concrete for the first time. But don't stress it. Tudors are tough and it's just the first in the many stories of its life as it becomes uniquely yours.

Hopefully there's just a character mark on the watch and no real mechanical damage. A quick survey by a local watchmaker and you'll have your answer, and you might not have to wait as long as if you sent it to Tudor.

Regretfully, welcome to the club.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:31 AM   #46
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Don’t send in your insert or you will never see it again.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:50 AM   #47
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Looks like you may have had some luck on your side.
It seems the watch has landed at angle on the bezel, thereby absorbing the bulk of the impact force.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 07:55 AM   #48
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessofWinward View Post
WOW! First I am very very sorry for this. I know how awful this can be. Please review my thread for when I dropped my Rolex on a Tile Floor. Short Story is: 2-3 months later, $11K and a lot of ribbing from the TRF peanut gallery later, I have my watch back in perfect condition...insurance covered all but the deductible, the movement had damage, and it first failed the pressure test and now passes. I have a new warranty card, and will NEVER hold my Rolex loose over a tile floor again. The Post was "Dropped Rolex President 279138 Datejust 28mm on Tile Floor"
OMG 11K!!!!!! Glad insurance took care of it!

What makes me sick is everytime I'm in there I think, I really shouldn't have my watch in here (bathroom) and I should be really careful with it, etc. And what do I do - take it in the bathroom and promptly drop it right on the tile like I feared. I like leaving it on the sink so I can see the time when I'm getting ready. Well I won't be doing that again

I just talked to my credit card company and purchase protection SHOULD cover up to $500 of the cost. I'll update everyone on how that goes as well
Old 21 February 2019, 07:57 AM   #49
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Looks like you may have had some luck on your side.
It seems the watch has landed at angle on the bezel, thereby absorbing the bulk of the impact force.
I'm shocked it didn't land on the side and take a nice big chunk out of the side of the case OR land the other way and crack the crystal. All-in-all if it had to happen this was a pretty good way to do it.
Old 21 February 2019, 08:12 AM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Can I ask how I would go about tweaking the bend out? I might mess up more than just the bezel LOL
I wouldn't even attempt that. Just take it in and have it checked out. Can't imagine it will cost a lot and if it does, well that'll learn ya.
Sorry to hear this though, but good thing it didn't have a metal bracelet, might have been worst.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 08:25 AM   #51
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Speaking of that, my watches are covered by a jewelry rider on my homeowners policy. Should I consider filing a claim, or do you think for something like this it's better to handle on my own?

No one answered your question, so I will.

Better off not to file a homeowner's policy claim; your rate will likely rise.

Consider Jewelers Mutual. You get great insurance coverage at a reasonable cost. Plus they cover all sorts of issues that homeowner's often doesn't cover, including things such as "mysterious disappearance", theft, robbery, just leaving/forgetting your watch somewhere (it does happen!), etc. Homeowner's insurance coverage can vary greatly as to what they will pay for.

Using homeowner's insurance usually does not cover so much.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 08:53 AM   #52
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Thanks.
That would be great
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:21 AM   #53
Beckster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Anyways just send it in to RSC and I’m sure you’ll be happy with the outcome. Plus you’ll be covered by your CC so all should be good. All the best and keep us posted!
Old 21 February 2019, 11:38 AM   #54
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
This thread is important to me for two reasons.

1 - I take my watches on and off in the bathroom over a tile floor every morning. I need to stop.

2 - I had no idea that my AMEX card offered that kind of accident insurance. That’s great to know! I just liked the travel perks.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:43 AM   #55
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
This thread is important to me for two reasons.

1 - I take my watches on and off in the bathroom over a tile floor every morning. I need to stop.

2 - I had no idea that my AMEX card offered that kind of accident insurance. That’s great to know! I just liked the travel perks.
Yep! Just remember you have to buy the watch using your card, and only provides coverage up to 120 days after purchasing.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:10 PM   #56
ddaneh
"TRF" Member

I'd send it in... Hopefully nothing major
ddaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 12:14 PM   #57
kungpow
"TRF" Member

Ouch so sorry to hear! That’s terrible, but at least you can just replace the bezel
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:02 PM   #58
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
That sucks, but it could've been worse. I did the same exact thing a few months back with my 16610, and the tile floor dented one of my lugs. I was quoted $2000 to replace the case. This hopefully is just a bezel and insert job. Good luck!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:08 PM   #59
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
He’s correct. The feature he is referring to is called Purchase Protection. For basic Visa cards, they cover up to $500 per claim and up to $50k per year. You should be covered in this case. I would highly recommend reading your Guide to Benefits booklet that came with your card for instructions of how to claim. You can always call in to request or look it up online.

Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve cover up to $10k per claim and up to $50k a year. I’ve used the travel and purchase protections on my Sapphire Reserve many times. I accidentally left a bag of newly purchased items in my rental car when returning at London Heathrow. I just showed proof of my receipt and email threads reporting the missing items, and Visa covered it.

The high annual fee for the Platinum and Sapphire Reserve are worth it if you can utilize all the benefits.
Also, many of the watch/jewelry insurance policies that cover loss or theft
also cover accidental damage. The only people who shouldn't have such a policy are those who wouldn't even blink if they had to replace a stolen watch.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 02:13 PM   #60
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What makes me sick is everytime I'm in there I think, I really shouldn't have my watch in here (bathroom) and I should be really careful with it, etc. And what do I do - take it in the bathroom and promptly drop it right on the tile like I feared. I like leaving it on the sink so I can see the time when I'm getting ready. Well I won't be doing that again
My watch is either on my wrist or on the nightstand. Period. My digital watch stays in the bathroom and I can see that when I'm in there.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote