The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2019, 01:47 PM   #1
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Submariner

Quick question, have swayed away from Rolex for the last 7 years and looking to return. I am looking to get a timeless piece that can stand the test of time. Looking to get another Sub. I know the brick was released in 2010 is there any talks about updates on case or an update on the movement?
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Go back a year or two and find a nice 16610. Best value on the market. Good luck.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Everyone said this was the year that the Sub would be redesigned, new lugs, new flashy 70 hr power reserve. 100% guaranteed.

I think it’s some years off an update and if the (lack of) aesthetic updates to the GMT case designs are anything to go by you can bet that the case on the sub is here to stay.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:14 PM   #4
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
I am looking to get a timeless piece that can stand the test of time.
Well said I'd say.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:16 PM   #5
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Quick question, have swayed away from Rolex for the last 7 years and looking to return. I am looking to get a timeless piece that can stand the test of time. Looking to get another Sub. I know the brick was released in 2010 is there any talks about updates on case or an update on the movement?
Regarding movement, an update to the 3235 is inevitable; it's a matter of when, not if. However, determining when is tough. It could be next year, or it could be in five. (I'd be amazed if it were longer than five, but in theory that's also a possibility.)

Case changes are even harder to pin down, because they might not happen at all. Rolex did not change the case of the GMT when they updated its movement, which leads a number of people to believe they won't change the Sub, either. Others remain hopeful Rolex will slim down the Sub's lug profile.

The only thing that can be said for sure is that none of us know what Rolex will do when, so asking here is only going to get a range of guesses. Some might be more thought through than others, or more based on history and precedent, but ultimately, they're all still guesses, with no guarantee of being right.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Go back a year or two and find a nice 16610. Best value on the market. Good luck.
Best advice so far
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 03:22 PM   #7
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Everyone said this was the year that the Sub would be redesigned, new lugs, new flashy 70 hr power reserve. 100% guaranteed.
I assume this is hyperbole. Not everyone predicted this. Plenty of people said no new Sub this year, and there's a sizeable contingent of people who think the case will remain unchanged. (Plenty of others, of course, assume the Supercase Sub is a dead watch ticking, and that its execution date is set for next Baselworld.) For the record, I predicted a slightly better than 50% chance of an updated Sub this year, with a new movement, unchanged case or bracelet, but with one or more new dial/bezel/metal combos to spur interest, with possible DCs of others. I figured it could nearly as easily not happen, hence my percentage rating. However, I do admit I was completely surprised by the new YM42, and the bizarre reworking of the GMT lineup. I didn't see either of those developments coming, and it makes me question what equally odd changes Rolex might inflict on the Sub line when they get around to updating it.
Old 16 April 2019, 03:47 PM   #8
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master 2
As a potential first time Rolex buyer on a waiting list I went through nearly every combination at my price point. Was all for the Submariner until I tried one on side by side with a pre-ceramic. The pre-ceramic is so much nicer. The maxi case is ugly. My other dive watches (First series Omega Planet Ocean and Seiko Marinemaster) puts the ceramic Subs to shame. Those lugs are terrible and unfortunately they seem to transfer across to the GMT line.

Seeing I couldn’t commit to a preowned watch as my first Rolex I opted for an Explorer. The Porsche 911 of sports watches.
Galaga167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Submariner

go for 16710 “2004 - 2007” what might be a bit pricey ; If lucky you can get 3186 mvmnt but 3185 is not a bit worse / proved over the time ... slim design SEL and light wear due to hollow center links ... clasp might be the less exciting part regarding design but this classic model still raises in value ... if you manage to put it on jubilee it beats even new Pepsi (imho) ... I do have two other SUB c maxi case (ND and Hulk), solid bracelet, modern clasp, chromalight etc ... love it too even with maxi case as my wrist can still bear it ... some days you feel like classy and light and other days more rugged and perfectionist... but as others advise ... any SUB is interesting for some features and is timeless design ... no date seems to most beautiful do it’s symmetry ... good luck with your pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:00 PM   #10
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekken View Post
As a potential first time Rolex buyer on a waiting list I went through nearly every combination at my price point. Was all for the Submariner until I tried one on side by side with a pre-ceramic. The pre-ceramic is so much nicer. The maxi case is ugly. My other dive watches (First series Omega Planet Ocean and Seiko Marinemaster) puts the ceramic Subs to shame. Those lugs are terrible and unfortunately they seem to transfer across to the GMT line.

Seeing I couldn’t commit to a preowned watch as my first Rolex I opted for an Explorer. The Porsche 911 of sports watches.
The GMT case is much less extreme than the Submariner's, both the lugs and the crown guard. The GMT started the Super Case trend but the Sub took it to an extreme. The fact that Rolex most recent new releases (last year's SD 43 and updated DSSD, and this year's YM 42) have much more balanced design with slimmer lugs is probably a good indication of what Rolex future designs will look like.
Old 16 April 2019, 05:09 PM   #11
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
The GMT case is much less extreme than the Submariner's, both the lugs and the crown guard. The GMT started the Super Case trend but the Sub took it to an extreme. The fact that Rolex most recent new releases (last year's SD 43 and updated DSSD, and this year's YM 42) have much more balanced design with slimmer lugs is probably a good indication of what Rolex future designs will look like.

Which to me states that they made a mistake with the maxicase just like they did with the mark 1 Explorer.
Old 16 April 2019, 05:19 PM   #12
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which to me states that they made a mistake with the maxicase just like they did with the mark 1 Explorer.
Probably, but Rolex being Rolex that "mistake" (I'd rather call it an experiment) did not cost them any missed sales, and they will never admit to it anyway. Who knows, they may even decide to keep the Super Case for the future generations of Subs to differentiate that model from the rest of their lineup...
Old 16 April 2019, 05:21 PM   #13
Hutrmila
"TRF" Member

Quote:

agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hutrmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:25 PM   #14
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I much prefer the maxi case over the old one. The modern 6 digit Sub feels and wears so much more substantial. It oozes quality.

Never noticed any difference in real life between case size of the modern GMT and Sub. In my eyes they are equal.

comparison.jpg

Rolex stated that the latest GMT case had a design update. Not noticeable to the naked eye anyway. Still the same.

It appears that the maxi cases will stay here a bit longer and rightfully so.
Especially after the SD4K with it's more classic shape which was not exactly a slam dunk for Rolex.
Old 16 April 2019, 05:31 PM   #15
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
The GMT case is much less extreme than the Submariner's, both the lugs and the crown guard. The GMT started the Super Case trend but the Sub took it to an extreme.
Total myth, as already shown. Where do these ideas come from, and why do they persist?

Quote:
The fact that Rolex most recent new releases (last year's SD 43 and updated DSSD, and this year's YM 42) have much more balanced design with slimmer lugs is probably a good indication of what Rolex future designs will look like.
Convenient overlooking of the last two years of updated GMT releases, which resulted in no appreciable changes to the 11671x Supercase.
Old 16 April 2019, 05:43 PM   #16
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
The GMT case is much less extreme than the Submariner's, both the lugs and the crown guard. The GMT started the Super Case trend but the Sub took it to an extreme.
What a load of bullshit! They are almost identical
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:43 PM   #17
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Huh? Sub and GMT case to me feel exactly the same. No difference in size or shape on the wrist.

Sub is more comfy to wear because of the micro adjuster.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:53 PM   #18
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Huh? Sub and GMT case to me feel exactly the same. No difference in size or shape on the wrist.

Sub is more comfy to wear because of the micro adjuster.
They are technically different. The GMT mid-case is actually thicker, but has a less-protruding caseback, so its total thickness is about a half a millimeter less than the Sub's. However, the GMT's lug proportions and general appearance are, for all intents and purposes, identical to that of the Sub.

This video shows them side-by-side in detail. At about 6:00, you can see the side profile of each.

Old 16 April 2019, 05:57 PM   #19
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
+1
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 09:26 PM   #20
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I actually prefer the maxi case. At the end of the day If I worry about changes i will drive myself nuts!
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 09:41 PM   #21
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I actually prefer the maxi case. At the end of the day If I worry about changes i will drive myself nuts!
I doubt you'll be disappointed. Six digit Subs are great watches.
Old 16 April 2019, 09:41 PM   #22
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 09:45 PM   #23
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post

I doubt you'll be disappointed. Six digit Subs are great watches.

But the ugliest ever made. Just my opinion.
Old 16 April 2019, 09:55 PM   #24
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But the ugliest ever made. Just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'd love to see your art collection some day.
Old 16 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #25
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I'd love to see your art collection some day.

It’s not bad. Wife did it all. Just need her to go to heaven and I’m set.
Old 16 April 2019, 10:13 PM   #26
scurfa
"TRF" Member

It took me a long time to come around to the ceramic sub as I’m a vintage fan but I’ve bought a few new watches recently and I think the ceramic Submariner is the best, it matches anything you wear and the detail is amazing, if I was a one watch man this would be it
Old 16 April 2019, 10:26 PM   #27
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Buy THE Submariner (if you can get one). The reference 114060. Only watch you’ll ever need and no messing about with a date!
WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 10:36 PM   #28
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Submariner

I’ve got a 14060m and didn’t take to the maxicase sub at all for such a long time. In fact it looked all clumsy compared to the 5 digit sub. About 2 months ago I seen a six digit sub 116610LN in a grey dealers window and completely fell in love with it. I’ve no idea what happened to my thinking overnight. I sourced out a brand new 6 digit sub and absolutely love it.....I actually appreciate my 5 digit sub even more now.....absolutely love both 5 & 6 digit subs......you can’t fail with either one you choose. If I had to choose one of the the 2 I’d go with the 116610LN.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 10:45 PM   #29
Galaga167
"TRF" Member

^^
Your two line Sub is a masterpiece!
Old 16 April 2019, 10:54 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
It’s a beautiful reference and you’ll love it I’m certain.

I’m in the camp that says Rolex will update the movement any year now. I don’t see any significant changes to the supercase design ala The GMT “re-profile of 2018.

I think the anniversary year 2024 is when something really special may happen
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote