The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2019, 06:25 AM   #31
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
have a Merkur Futor 4-Piece set in polished chrome, purchased maybe 4-5 years ago. for the last 2.5 years ago I have worn a beard. after a recent illness and terrible fevers, of which I am on the mend again, I decided to ditch the beard and return to the wet shave.

I went and got a fresh hair cut, and straight razor shave this afternoon and feel refreshed. now getting back into the wet shave again.

do you have specific routines or rituals that have worked well for you. do you have pre-shave or aftershave products you like or would recommend.

I usually buy the classic shaving soap, how long do you use before you rotate out?

curious for recommendations, and routines.

can't beat the freshness/closeness of a wet shave.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 06:35 AM   #32
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ltdjorn View Post
have a Merkur Futor 4-Piece set in polished chrome, purchased maybe 4-5 years ago. for the last 2.5 years ago I have worn a beard. after a recent illness and terrible fevers, of which I am on the mend again, I decided to ditch the beard and return to the wet shave.

I went and got a fresh hair cut, and straight razor shave this afternoon and feel refreshed. now getting back into the wet shave again.

do you have specific routines or rituals that have worked well for you. do you have pre-shave or aftershave products you like or would recommend.

I usually buy the classic shaving soap, how long do you use before you rotate out?

curious for recommendations, and routines.

can't beat the freshness/closeness of a wet shave.
Personally, a well moistened beard, a good brush with a quality knot, and for me, the key to a good shave is a hot scuttle, very hot water in the scuttle, I usually give mine a complete soak for 5 or so minutes to warm it up, then fill it up again with hot water, and it keeps the lather very warm, even somewhat hot the way I like it. Feels great on the face.

From a shave the other day, a spectacular Spanish Palmera #14 straight razor, one of the finest hand made brushes, Morris & Forndran, and a Dirty Bird Scuttle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTD-PALM14MF0170625.jpg (42.6 KB, 91 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 06:54 AM   #33
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I to love the double and single edge vintage shavers as I have a few but since using straights they don’t see much use
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B4EA3932-AFD1-4D8C-ACF2-F3A77C7D7F94.jpeg (150.1 KB, 96 views)
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 06:57 AM   #34
ratlover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
One thing about wet shaving is everyones face is different. 1/2 the fun is figuring out what is best for you. When I started out after I got my technique down I would change 1 thing at a time. On soap I just rotate out as my mood strikes me for scent.

Now my ritual is......

If a badger brush soak before shower. Most times use a syn brush
Hot shower with last min a cold water. Wash face in shower
No pretreatment i just splash COLD water on face and have brush in cold water
I face lather so either shave stick or load brush then build lather
Shave 1 pass with grain, one across, one against with skin tight/streched
If going for extra I will do neck and chin with my chin down across the grain
jump into shower for quick rinse
After shave generally just an alcohol based splash based on scent im in mood for
I usually use a timeless razor or an above the tie with a KAI blade
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:25 AM   #35
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I have always been interested in this but there is zero chance I have time for all that prep and shave for 10+ minutes. I shave in the shower with my gillette in a fogless mirror, I am done in 3-5 minutes tops.

Very cool stuff though and always wanted to get into it, maybe one day when the kids are a little older.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 07:28 AM   #36
RHJ

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I picked up a new razor from Charcoal Goods.
I was on the waiting list for nearly a year!
I bought one in WG and one in YG, so I skipped the list
Old 15 May 2019, 10:17 PM   #37
Johnnymiz
"TRF" Member

@V25V
it doesnt have to take long. turn on shower, wet brush, and soap and leave on sink. hop in shower. out of shower, re-wet brush and make a lather with shave soap. apply and shave as normal.
only takes me 4-5 mins, tops.
one thing i will say, with a 5 blade gilllette, you have 5 bits of steel scraping your face every pass. i used to get incredible razor burn and bleed a lot. with a classic adjustable double edge gillette (gold black beauty circa 1972) i get no razor burn and i rarely bleed. i attribute it to only one piece of steel scraping my face at each pass instead of 5.
you DO have to be more careful and pay attention to angle. but once you do it a bit, it is just as fast as the fusion razors. i do keep a fusion handy in case i need it.
oh, and good double edge razors cost like 20-25 cents a blade and i get 10 shaves per blade. fusion blades cost $2.50-3.00 per blade.
Johnnymiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 10:26 PM   #38
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
I to love the double and single edge vintage shavers as I have a few but since using straights they don’t see much use

Woah that is a serious shave collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 10:26 PM   #39
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymiz View Post
@V25V
it doesnt have to take long. turn on shower, wet brush, and soap and leave on sink. hop in shower. out of shower, re-wet brush and make a lather with shave soap. apply and shave as normal.
only takes me 4-5 mins, tops.
one thing i will say, with a 5 blade gilllette, you have 5 bits of steel scraping your face every pass. i used to get incredible razor burn and bleed a lot. with a classic adjustable double edge gillette (gold black beauty circa 1972) i get no razor burn and i rarely bleed. i attribute it to only one piece of steel scraping my face at each pass instead of 5.
you DO have to be more careful and pay attention to angle. but once you do it a bit, it is just as fast as the fusion razors. i do keep a fusion handy in case i need it.
oh, and good double edge razors cost like 20-25 cents a blade and i get 10 shaves per blade. fusion blades cost $2.50-3.00 per blade.
Interesting. You get a closer shave? Can you actually feel the difference? How long does it take to learn to use one of these? I am going to cut myself all up while I figure it out??

My wife scored a $250 gift card to grooming lounge for $50, so I have some money to play with and start this. I was going to just buy a bunch of Anthony Shave Gel there, since I love it, but now I a thinking about giving it a go.
Old 15 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #40
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
There was an article on Yahoo. I was half joking.
Ostensibly, men period have more germs then dogs, bear or no beard. I read that article last week too, typical yahoo one sided BS
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 06:38 AM   #41
Johnnymiz
"TRF" Member

you get a very close shave. once with the grain, then quickly repeat and once against if you want it really close. i rarely go for the second pass against unless ive got a date.
it isnt hard to do at all.. and unlike straights, the learning curve in neither steep nor bloody. just be mindful of corners.....pull skin up or down so you dont catch the edge of your chin and know where the actual blade is around your lips. that is all.
they are, after all, 'safety' razors. just make sure the doors are fully closed.
get a used but good condition adjustable gillette razor off ebay.. best quality for the money is a 'slim' or 'black beauty' adjustable in good condition...
like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-COND-1...ss!92109!US!-1
or this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-Su...wAAOSw4cxcr04u
Old 16 May 2019, 06:50 AM   #42
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Interesting. You get a closer shave? Can you actually feel the difference? How long does it take to learn to use one of these? I am going to cut myself all up while I figure it out??

My wife scored a $250 gift card to grooming lounge for $50, so I have some money to play with and start this. I was going to just buy a bunch of Anthony Shave Gel there, since I love it, but now I a thinking about giving it a go.
If I shave with a Gillette Mach 5,000 or whatever it is now in the morning, by 5 or so I've got the famed shadow, beard coming back, have to shave next morning.

I use a DE or SE, I'll be nice and clean for the entire day, could get away without shaving the next day, but by about noon would start to look scruffy.

When I shave with a straight razor, wonderful 3 pass shave, I don't have to shave for 2 days - they call is a BBS shave, "Baby Bottom Smooth" skin, feels great.

Also, I can shave in 5 minutes if I want to, blade on a straight razor covers a lot more real estate than a safety razor, don't need to keep rinsing it, and in my opinion, a straight razor is far easier to use.
Old 16 May 2019, 07:02 AM   #43
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
If I shave with a Gillette Mach 5,000 or whatever it is now in the morning, by 5 or so I've got the famed shadow, beard coming back, have to shave next morning.

I use a DE or SE, I'll be nice and clean for the entire day, could get away without shaving the next day, but by about noon would start to look scruffy.

When I shave with a straight razor, wonderful 3 pass shave, I don't have to shave for 2 days - they call is a BBS shave, "Baby Bottom Smooth" skin, feels great.

Also, I can shave in 5 minutes if I want to, blade on a straight razor covers a lot more real estate than a safety razor, don't need to keep rinsing it, and in my opinion, a straight razor is far easier to use.
Im in.
Old 16 May 2019, 07:09 AM   #44
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Im in.
I decided to learn with a straight razor back in 2012, when I went to pick up yet another pack of Mach 3 blades at $18.00 a pop, and another $10.00 for a container of crappy chemical canned goo. Just shook my head and said enough, saw a video of a guy shaving with a straight razor couple of months before, and that was it, decided to go full in, and it was really fun learning something new.

The fantastic soaps you can buy, that are so fantastic for your skin, Mitchell's Wool Fat from the UK, first produced in the 1930's, this stuff makes your face freakin' tingle afterwards:

MITCHELL’S WOOL FAT SOAP was first produced in the early 1930’s by Bradford chemist Fred Mitchell who realised that the natural lanolin content of wool fat, which kept the hands of local sheep shearers and wool sorters so exceptionally soft, could also be beneficial to delicate complexions and sensitive skins. A simple and natural product, this soap is still made to Mr Mitchell’s original formula, based on a recipe from the turn of the century and incorporating lanolin from the wool fat as the key ingredient.

Couple that with a good brush, and whether you go safety razor or straight razor, you'll turn a task into an experience, much better state of mind to start or end your day, and your skin will thank-you for it.
Old 16 May 2019, 07:27 AM   #45
encarter13
"TRF" Member

This seems complicated and scary to me. I feel like you have to be 10000000% careful or you cut yourself.

Meanwhile, a Gillette Fusion is basically idiot proof. *Knocks on woods* I have never cut myself with a Gillette.
Old 16 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #46
ratlover
"TRF" Member

A DE razor takes maybe a week to the the movements down. I didnt find that I cut myself a bunch. Its just the head dosnt swivel so you have to rotate your wrist to keep the blade at the right cutting angle to remove the hair. And keep a light touch,After a couple weeks it will be second nature. First week or 2 will be pretty slow shaving. Then Id say a month or maybe 2 to perfect your shave ritual like what kinda blades you like in combination with what kinda razor, soaps stuff like that.

Maggards has a good selection of stuff. You can pick up Merkur for reasonable and their non slants are generally forgiving/not very aggressive. And some persona blues are forgiving and fall in the middle to middle high in terms of sharpness. Barrister and mann makes good soaps for reasonable. Can pick up a few different scents and its still the same basic soap. Barrister and man, stirling, and fine make nice AS and are all reasonable.

badgerandblade has a nice forum/community
Old 16 May 2019, 08:54 AM   #47
ratlover
"TRF" Member

And I know this may border on blasphemy like putting a DD on a nato but you can intermingle shaving techniques. You can build a proper lather with a brush and soap and then use a cartridge razor or use a DE with the canned goo.

Actually id recommend the first time you try build a lather with a brush and then just use your normal razor.
Old 16 May 2019, 09:02 AM   #48
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexoman View Post
William, you should change your TRF handle to "Sweeney Todd".....
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 10:25 AM   #49
Johnnymiz
"TRF" Member

What ratlover said. DE is very easy, shallow learning curve, and gives a great shave. Just keep the angle right to get a good shave, but the safety aspect IS there.....unlike with a straight.
Buy some decent shave soap...it makes a difference. you can buy a refill puck from stirling for $10, wet your face, rub the puck on your face, then build a decent enough lather to shave with. Dont even need a brush to start out. I did that for a while til i got a morris and forndran badger brush.
Old 18 May 2019, 01:20 AM   #50
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Any recommendations for aftershave or balm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 18 May 2019, 01:25 AM   #51
Phrank

Quote:
Any recommendations for aftershave or balm?

I stay away from alcohol based balms or aftershaves now - they dry the skin and for me, the dryness can cause flaking on my cheeks/sides of nose, you want to hydrate your skin.

Now, believe it or not, a dab of Nivea Cream in the palm and used as a balm has been the best for my skin, and a lot of "old timers" have gone from using an array of aftershaves to Nivea Cream - cheap and simple and it works.
Old 18 May 2019, 03:19 AM   #52
ratlover
"TRF" Member

Everyones face is different. I use Fine aftershaves quite a bit. Its alcohol and fragrance with little additives for moisture. Also like sterling, darrister and mann, and chiseled face. They are alcohol base with some witch hazel or other additives for conditioning. In winter sometimes I will use a balm if my face gets dry.
Old 18 May 2019, 04:24 AM   #53
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I’m also a fan of a nice scented alcohol based aftershave splash, +/-menthol, etc. I follow that up with a moisturizer as needed +/- Sunscreen.
My current favorite is Barrister and Mann Bay Rum and The Holy Black Lavender Creeper.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 01:37 AM   #54
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I like:
Above the tie SS double edge razors (slant and open comb)
Thater and Simpson brushes
Personna blue bulk blades
Trumpers coconut
Theaters lemon witch hazel
Krampers menthol ice aftershave
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 01:48 AM   #55
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
It looks great, but did you honestly say waiting list? For a razor?
Wolfman razors are top of the line custom made razors that go from $300-$650 and have a longer wait time than 1 year. The titanium is a work of art.

I used to use cheap disposable razors, never again. Love my 6S and plates that I can change to adjust the shave. Artisan soaps are so much better for the skin than canned foams or gels.

Off topic a bit, but Barrister and Mann 42 goes on sale Monday the 20th. Get it while you can.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 10:57 AM   #56
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggsiam View Post
Wolfman razors are top of the line custom made razors that go from $300-$650 and have a longer wait time than 1 year. The titanium is a work of art.

I used to use cheap disposable razors, never again. Love my 6S and plates that I can change to adjust the shave. Artisan soaps are so much better for the skin than canned foams or gels.

Off topic a bit, but Barrister and Mann 42 goes on sale Monday the 20th. Get it while you can.
where would you order it at?

Old 19 May 2019, 11:16 AM   #57
Phrank

Quote:

Great razors, sold one I had couple years ago to a buddy that really wanted one.

The Mongoose is another heavy hitter...superb SE with a wide choice of blades. No need to really do anything other than let gravity do the work, weight of this SE just effortlessly removes everything in its path.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOTD-MONKAICHUBH0151021.jpg (56.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 19 May 2019, 12:02 PM   #58
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you have to contact the guy with your order through the page and he will add you to the list.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 12:10 PM   #59
Phrank

Quote:
I think you have to contact the guy with your order through the page and he will add you to the list.
...and then wait a year or two....sound familiar....
Old 22 May 2019, 01:34 AM   #60
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
ordered and on the way.

got the barrister & Mann 42 - soap/aftershave.
as well as the barrister & Mann bay rum - soap/aftershave.

excited to try.