The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2019, 02:40 AM   #31
CamSLC
2020 Pledge Member
 
CamSLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Watch: Rolex, Patek
Posts: 1,136
Luckily the decision doesn't actually need to be made today. :)

I went from cars to watches. When I sold my last "fun" car, I knew one day I could get another one. The reality is, if you sold every watch you could eventually get them all back.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 02:44 AM   #32
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post
Luckily the decision doesn't actually need to be made today. :)

I went from cars to watches. When I sold my last "fun" car, I knew one day I could get another one. The reality is, if you sold every watch you could eventually get them all back.
So very true.
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:12 AM   #33
1st amg
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
1st amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real Name: nicholas
Location: ottawa canada
Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Posts: 6,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post


wrong color though.
Hahahaha. What do you mean? wink wink.
I didn't realize you still had the DD. I do not think you have worn that for some time, great liquidation piece....as far as the PP, you could get top dollar for that as well. Lots of cash for the car purchase....wise my friend.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:29 AM   #34
TheVTCGuy
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: SS DJ41
Posts: 15,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My brother. It’s ready and waiting. When are you coming?
Woo Hoo! We’re going to have such wild and crazy Saturday nights Seth! Do you like to play Canasta?
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:02 AM   #35
swils8610
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
swils8610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Real Name: shannon
Location: usa
Posts: 7,814
I hear ya Seth. I’ve downsized my collection also...less is more for me lately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:24 AM   #36
returntorolex
"TRF" Member
 
returntorolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Real Name: Steve
Location: Atlanta
Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Posts: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Thanks my friend.

I’m not going anywhere. Not unless I get banned.

Definitely it’s the people of this forum. It’s what I enjoy most about this place. People like you.
You are too kind. Hope you had a pleasant drive today!
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:25 AM   #37
Toony
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Toony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Real Name: Tony
Location: Gatchaman
Posts: 1,639
Times change and interest change. The list of what you are keeping is great.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:31 AM   #38
TheVTCGuy
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: SS DJ41
Posts: 15,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
You are too kind. Hope you had a pleasant drive today!
I never liked you Steve
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:34 AM   #39
returntorolex
"TRF" Member
 
returntorolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Real Name: Steve
Location: Atlanta
Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Posts: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I never liked you Steve
That’s the fighter pilot in you talkin’
returntorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 09:05 PM   #40
Moggo
"TRF" Member
 
Moggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wales
Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Posts: 1,092
I understand entirely, my watch passion is slowly eroding, the ridiculous market has done most of that for me.

Wish I had the money to follow my car passion but if you can go for it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:45 PM   #41
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
I understand entirely, my watch passion is slowly eroding, the ridiculous market has done most of that for me.

Wish I had the money to follow my car passion but if you can go for it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the comment. The current situation in the watch world definitely has something to do with it.

I liked when I was a watch nut, when most people were not. when it was an obscure hobby.

Similar to being a comic book geek. I grew up devouring coming books. Now that everyone is a huge fan, and there are movies weekly, I am less of a fan. much less.

now that the entire world is obsessed with watches, they hold far less excitement for me. and yeah, the situation with production etc is a big part of that.

sell off a few watches, and the money situation in obtaining a true dream car, becomes much much easier.

i am just steps away from making some kind of decisions here.
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:47 PM   #42
piratfisk
"TRF" Member
 
piratfisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Real Name: Jake
Location: 92116
Watch: 16233
Posts: 975
Hi Seth, stranger-from-the-internet here. I can empathize with your dwindling interest in one hobby over another. At one point, I wanted to have ALL the motorcycles, which is stupid because I can only ride one at a time. I guess the same could be said for watches, but go figure, they hold value better. I think you've hit that stage in life, that kind of mid-life nirvana, where you feel less of a need to have "things" and more of a need to "live," which is very admirable. Not that it matters, but I support your "shedding" of unnecessarities (I just made up that word, patent-pending!) to hone in on what you love. Life's too short to not do what you want. If you need to liquidate some pieces that aren't worn to fund something else, pull the trigger. At the end of the day, you're at the helm. And hey, Rolexes & P-cars aren't terrible vices to have!

I wish you clarity in your decision making. I'm curious what your "keep versus save" watch list is, if you don't mind sharing?
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:59 PM   #43
Moggo
"TRF" Member
 
Moggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wales
Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I appreciate the comment. The current situation in the watch world definitely has something to do with it.



I liked when I was a watch nut, when most people were not. when it was an obscure hobby.



Similar to being a comic book geek. I grew up devouring coming books. Now that everyone is a huge fan, and there are movies weekly, I am less of a fan. much less.



now that the entire world is obsessed with watches, they hold far less excitement for me. and yeah, the situation with production etc is a big part of that.



sell off a few watches, and the money situation in obtaining a true dream car, becomes much much easier.



i am just steps away from making some kind of decisions here.


What’s the dream car? Wasn’t it a Ferrari California?

I had an E30 M3 Roberto Ravaglia 1 of 25 a few years back, sold it cheap and kick myself to this day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:21 AM   #44
jschmidtdmd
2020 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Real Name: John
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,251
You can always get the watches back.

With the market as insane as it is, taking the risk of selling high could always afford you the opportunity to buy back low if and when this all cools off- and if you truly miss a piece.

I can certainly relate to the way you're feeling. I too am tired of the games and the cost and did a massive consolidation a few weeks back.
__________________
Watches!
jschmidtdmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:31 AM   #45
droptopman
2020 Rolex+Tudor GMT Pledge Member
 
droptopman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Real Name: Mark
Location: Washington State
Watch: SUBS!
Posts: 9,404
With you Seth. The market situation has me bored with watches. Too much hassle to play anymore. I was just discussing this with the wife yesterday, that I may move some pieces and buy another muscle car to restore. Good time to sell that is for sure.
__________________
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:05 AM   #46
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
What’s the dream car? Wasn’t it a Ferrari California?

I had an E30 M3 Roberto Ravaglia 1 of 25 a few years back, sold it cheap and kick myself to this day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well, ultimately, the dream car is a ferrari in general. and lets be real, for my anyway, that can translate into lamborghini as well. maybe even mclaren.

but since I was a kid i dreamed of ferrari. so the California was the newest (used) version in reach. i have since learned that while i really like the car, it is not for me.

i also looked at the newer portofino. also, not for me.

488? just incredible. too expensive.

458 sits just about right for me. and i love the NA aspect of it as well. I can get a 2013 for about the same price as a new 570s. love the idea of a newer car with all the new tech. but that car will drop in value. the 458 likely will not as it has already taken the hit, and appears to be gaining steam as a cult type classic based on certain features.

so right now, my sight is set on a 458. but we shall see.
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:09 AM   #47
datejustrms
"TRF" Member
 
datejustrms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Watch: 116610LN
Posts: 2,348
Hey Seth, didn't you just get the WG DD40? I'm thinking of adding one with the Rhodium stripe motif myself. Just wondering why it may be a catch and release.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:09 AM   #48
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
You can always get the watches back.

With the market as insane as it is, taking the risk of selling high could always afford you the opportunity to buy back low if and when this all cools off- and if you truly miss a piece.

I can certainly relate to the way you're feeling. I too am tired of the games and the cost and did a massive consolidation a few weeks back.
agree. not much of a risk selling now. thanks for the comment.
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:10 AM   #49
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
with you seth. The market situation has me bored with watches. Too much hassle to play anymore. I was just discussing this with the wife yesterday, that i may move some pieces and buy another muscle car to restore. Good time to sell that is for sure.
do it!!!!!!!!
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:12 AM   #50
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by datejustrms View Post
Hey Seth, didn't you just get the WG DD40? I'm thinking of adding one with the Rhodium stripe motif myself. Just wondering why it may be a catch and release.
second time i have had it actually.

and i am moving it only because I prefer the cash right now. but I do have a valid complaint with it.

it is heavy, and not very flexible. i added the 1.25 link and it was more comfortable. but i still find it hard to wear, and always reach for other watches.

i do love it. it is stunning. but with the current need for the cash, i am better off moving this one than something else.
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 04:55 AM   #51
TheVTCGuy
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: SS DJ41
Posts: 15,795
Seth, as your friend, I want to help. I don’t like seeing you this way... having a dilemma that is taking up your thoughts and time. So....

Send me your watch collection, hell I’ll even pay for the shipping. That way, you won’t have enough money to go for the dream car and won’t have to worry about whether or not to buy it! See!?!? Problem solved!!!

No, no need to thank me Seth, just trying to help out a buddy.
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:09 AM   #52
Beo3
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
Beo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Real Name: Eddie
Location: NY
Watch: Too Many
Posts: 6,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Seth, as your friend, I want to help. I don’t like seeing you this way... having a dilemma that is taking up your thoughts and time. So....

Send me your watch collection, hell I’ll even pay for the shipping. That way, you won’t have enough money to go for the dream car and won’t have to worry about whether or not to buy it! See!?!? Problem solved!!!

No, no need to thank me Seth, just trying to help out a buddy.

Now that's funny

But Seth, I live right over the border from you and could be there in 20 minutes. Could save you on the shipping!!!!!!
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:25 AM   #53
TheVTCGuy
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
TheVTCGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Real Name: Paul
Location: San Diego
Watch: SS DJ41
Posts: 15,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
Now that's funny

But Seth, I live right over the border from you and could be there in 20 minutes. Could save you on the shipping!!!!!!
I said I was paying for the shipping, give them to me!!!!!!!!
__________________


You can't possibly be a Dorkelhead, Paul!!
Whoever heard of a "Dorkelhead Tosser"?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:30 AM   #54
superdog
2020 Pledge Member
 
superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Real Name: Seth
Location: nj
Watch: Omega
Posts: 21,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I said I was paying for the shipping, give them to me!!!!!!!!


Glad to see the surgery didn’t mess with your sense of humor
__________________
Monthly repeating NJ GTG’s.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=713180


IG: gsmotorclub
IG: superdog0013
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:33 AM   #55
sokoloka
"TRF" Member
 
sokoloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Real Name: Eric
Location: San Diego
Watch: Audemars Piguet
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
so right now, my sight is set on a 458. but we shall see.
Picked mine up just over a year ago. Haven't second guessed it once!
__________________
Follow me on Instagram: rough.af
sokoloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:39 AM   #56
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member
 
TheRolexKingofLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Real Name: Trace
Location: Vegas/Bay Area
Posts: 9,233
Your not alone Seth. Many, including myself, have been turned off by the games being played by the manufacturers.

So when nobody could get me a Rainbow Daytona, I said fine, and went and bought a Ferrari instead. Best decision EVER!

I completely understand your situation Seth!
__________________
Official Host "The Penthouse Party" Las Vegas 2018
Instagram @tracenunes
TheRolexKingofLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:18 PM   #57
Old Geezer
2020 Tudor GMT Giveaway Pledge Member
 
Old Geezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Real Name: Jose
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,576
We only live once. Across this forum members have worked hard and made prudent decisions to be able to take care of our families, own homes and enjoy some nice things too. Every purchase doesn't have to have a value proposition or return on the investment. We've earned the privilege of acquiring what our hearts desire and brings us joy. In for the incoming pics.
__________________
Jose
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:31 PM   #58
breitlings
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Watch: Roku
Posts: 5,147
hey Seth. I went down a similar route divesting watches and i regret it. in terms of ferrari my research led me to believe the manual 430 and the 458 were the best bets in terms of service needs and potential long term equity. i dont think the manual 430 will depreciate further. the 458 might.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:41 PM   #59
brandrea
2020 HARRODS SGE Pledge Member
 
brandrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Real Name: Brian (TBone)
Location: canada
Watch: es make me smile
Posts: 42,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
Your not alone Seth. Many, including myself, have been turned off by the games being played by the manufacturers.

So when nobody could get me a Rainbow Daytona, I said fine, and went and bought a Ferrari instead. Best decision EVER!

I completely understand your situation Seth!
That’s one way to ease the pain
__________________
Instagram ~ brandrea3
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:31 PM   #60
walds11
"TRF" Member
 
walds11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Real Name: Adam
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
We only live once. Across this forum members have worked hard and made prudent decisions to be able to take care of our families, own homes and enjoy some nice things too. Every purchase doesn't have to have a value proposition or return on the investment. We've earned the privilege of acquiring what our hearts desire and brings us joy. In for the incoming pics.
Well said my friend People use the forums to validate these kinds of purchases more than anything else and they shouldn’t have to. Sometimes I don’t get it
__________________
Adam
walds11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banners Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright ©2004-2020, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.